PDA

View Full Version : McSpork...

atraildreamer
2013-03-14, 13:37
In the summer, I often atop by MickyD's and buy a McFlurry. They come with a plastic spoon that is easily recyclable into what I call the McSpork!

How to make a McSpork:

1. Buy a McFlurry and consume,

2. Keep the spoon, bring it home and wash it,

3. Cut off the little hook at the top of the handle. (I think that the hook is used to attach to the machine that mixes the McFlurry. It is easily removed with a sharp knife.),

4. Make a small hole on the back of the spoon handle, near the bottom (Highlighted in black) to allow any liquids to drain out that may get in the handle when you are eating,

5. Cut little teeth in the end of the spoon. (I used a small pair of scissors.),

( If you are using it for freezer bag cooking, omit cutting the teeth, they will puncture the freezer bag!)

6. Your McSpork is ready to use!

john pickett
2013-03-14, 14:10
I see why a masochist would cut the teeth in, why would anyone else?

atraildreamer
2013-03-14, 18:51
I see why a masochist would cut the teeth in, why would anyone else?

Masochist?! The teeth are optional. The spoon is great for getting the food out of the freezer bags. The McSpork is a product of 5 minutes work on a otherwise boring day. :biggrin: PM your address and I'll send you one, John. :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
2013-03-14, 22:50
Take a perfectly good spoon and ruin it by creating a spork. You keep doing that and they will pass a law...

Cuffs
2013-03-14, 22:54
Find a different restaurant. You'll find a spork premade.

Skidsteer
2013-03-14, 22:56
Take a perfectly good spoon and ruin it by creating a spork. You keep doing that and they will pass a law...

New York and that douchnozzle Bloomberg probably already has.

john pickett
2013-03-15, 10:45
"PM your address and I'll send you one, John"
Thanks, but no thanks. I got too many ways to spoil my day now.

atraildreamer
2013-03-15, 11:05
"PM your address and I'll send you one, John"
Thanks, but no thanks. I got too many ways to spoil my day now.

Well...there goes my excuse for buying another McFlurry! :argh:

atraildreamer
2013-03-15, 11:07

Stand by for my latest project... How to convert the McSpork into an anti-ballistic missile! :albertein

john pickett
2013-03-15, 18:03
What do you do? Throw it?

sheepdog
2013-03-15, 18:22
Well...there goes my excuse for buying another McFlurry! :argh:

just another sad case of "the man" keepin a brotha down. Keep going man, buy Mcflurries!!!

atraildreamer
2013-03-15, 19:18
What do you do? Throw it?

No, but involves packing some propellant into the open end of the spoon. Got any C-4 lying around?

john pickett
2013-03-15, 23:00
"Got any C-4 lying around"
Nope, tried to "borrow" some from some combat engineers once. They were wise to me.

Rosaleen
2013-03-16, 13:56
Hey, atraildreamer-

I just realized that we are practically neighbors, with you being in the Providence area and me being near Boston. Cool!

I probably would not alter the spoon into a McSpork: personal preference. I've poked too many holes in bags with my metal sporks. Meanwhile, keep the "dirt bag" ideas coming. I had forgotten about the McFlurry spoons. I had one which I may by now have given away. I keep a mental list of substitute items for camping/backpacking/travel. Say I was traveling and either couldn't bring all of my gear or forgot something. What could I find cheaply and quickly to use instead of ____? A replacement broom handle from a Big Lots or such may not be ideal, but would work for me as a staff. (Yeah, I know, look for a stick.) A large beer can or 12 oz Vienna sausage can could be my cook pot or mug, etc. Recently, I purposely left my fleece jacket and down sweater behind, then decided when I deplaned that during daylight hours my down coat would be too much. A local dollar-type store had some nice, fluffy blankets on clearance for $5. I quickly had a shawl/poncho/blanket.

I can see buying a McFlurry and a large can of beer (not to consume together, ugh!) and find a couple of discarded soda cans to turn into a temporary kitchen set. That dollar store would probably have single-edge razor blades, gas line drier, and matches or lighters. I child's inflatable raft would not be a great mattress, but two taped together might do in a pinch if I couldn't cobble together a hammock. Having a back-up plan is important to me.

atraildreamer
2013-03-18, 12:17
... 12 oz Vienna sausage can could be my cook pot or mug, etc. ...

Another use for the 12 oz. Vienna sausage can:

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/goya-stove/index.html

My first published project.

Rosaleen
2013-03-18, 13:42
Cool, but I think that I will stick with my Ion stove and TiPod.

Superman
2013-03-18, 13:46
Another use for the 12 oz. Vienna sausage can:

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/goya-stove/index.html

My first published project.

When I thru hiked in 2000 I used a zip stove until Gatlinberg. Then I made a stove using a vienna sausage can. I only made a ring of holes with my 1.5" jacknife around the top of the sides. I have used that with the esbit frame ever since. I haven't needed a wind screen using the esbit frame.

Rosaleen
2013-03-18, 14:14
Yeah, I'm a big fan of solid fuels, such as Esbit. A durable windscreen is nice, but it is also good to be able to fit the rolled windscreen inside of a beer can (or Vienna sausage can) pot, along with a TiPod stand. The Ion stove is light and compact enough to fit inside either pot, as well.

Choices are great!

atraildreamer
2013-03-21, 12:39
When I thru hiked in 2000 I used a zip stove until Gatlinberg. Then I made a stove using a vienna sausage can. I only made a ring of holes with my 1.5" jacknife around the top of the sides. I have used that with the esbit frame ever since. I haven't needed a wind screen using the esbit frame.

The can, itself, makes a good wind screen. I put a lot of holes in the can to make sure enough air was getting to the alcohol, and to prevent the thing from overheating and blowing up (a good way to ruin your hike!). I found that the wire screen on top is not really necessary, and actually cuts down on the efficiency of the stove. The Cosmos grease pot (shown in the article) is a perfect fit for the Goya stove. The sausages go good with Bush's Baked Beans!