PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in Tibet and other part of China

Khamman
2003-12-13, 07:19
We hope to make friends in the world and communicate our experience in hiking and trekking.

bryanf
2007-12-02, 23:09
I recommend hiking the Great Wall. It has fantastic variety, history, and scenery. It's challenging and really addictive; I am currently making plans for my fourth trip to China. I went to Switzerland this year for hiking in the Alps but I chose to return to Beijing next year rather than go back to Europe.:)

pure_mahem
2007-12-03, 00:32
I recommend hiking the Great Wall. It has fantastic variety, history, and scenery. It's challenging and really addictive; I am currently making plans for my fourth trip to China. I went to Switzerland last year for hiking in the Alps but I chose to return to Beijing next year rather than go back to Europe.:)
Anyplace to hang a hammock on the Great Wall? LOL

SGT Rock
2007-12-03, 09:20
I wonder if you can stealth camp on it.

bryanf
2007-12-03, 10:08
Yes, sleeping in watch towers is not uncommon. They provide excellent protection against the weather. For this reason, it's reasonably sensible to hike long distances on the Wall without carrying a tent. All you need is a bag and a pad.

In addition to this, there are small villages along the entire length of the Wall (over 4000 kilometers), and the villagers are extremely friendly, especially upon the unusual sight of a foreigner. It's easy to ask for a place to stay. Food and water will be offered, and usually they wouldn't ask for payment, but if you offer just a few dollars (about 20 RMB), they are thrilled.

If you have anything electronic, such as a camera or an MP3 player, you can entertain and amaze the locals in some of the remote areas.

SGT Rock
2007-12-03, 20:34
Now that would be a cool hike. Hmmm, do I add it to the things to do before I die list?

bryanf
2007-12-03, 23:40
Here are a few of my favorite Great Wall hiking photos. More at www.bryanf.com/china.

pure_mahem
2007-12-04, 01:36
I you do don't forget the pocket translator, lol!

Khamman
2007-12-04, 05:47
Great Wall trekking is beautiful. But to a hard trekker, it is not enough. We have organzied trekking on the great wall for many times. The main problem is that you can not trek on the wall for days continualy. You have to resort to the transfer of car constantly. From from Gubeikou to Jinshanlin, about 5 hrs, Jinshanlin to Simaitai, only 3 hours, from Huanyaguan to Qian village, about 6 hrs.

This May, we just completed a Rock Joseph trail trekking in Muli Kingdom. The nature is really beautiful, far more than our expectation. http://www.yakholiday.com/images/photoalbum12.jpg can see it.

bryanf
2007-12-05, 18:13
It's true that the Ming Dynasty Great Wall is not continuous along its 4000 km length from Shanhaiguan to Jiayuguan, but there are long continuous sections. For example, you can hike from Shanhaiguan to Huangyaguan, about 120 miles, with minimal gaps in the wall for roads, lakes, etc. Several people have thru-hiked the whole Ming dynasty wall. Currently Mark Scholinz has been doing so for about 9 months and is nearly finished. You can find links to his and several other Great Wall thru-hiker sites at http://www.greatwallforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37.

Amigi
2007-12-05, 23:23
"Hiking in Tibet and other parts of China"
That just hurts me so bad....
Any monks or temples left to see in Tibet?

pure_mahem
2007-12-06, 09:57
I wont be traveling to Tibet anytime soon one of my friends from highschool went traveling abroad about 6 years ago. he came home and 2 weeks after he got home he died from SARS. That just seems really scary to me.

bryanf
2009-02-17, 22:15
Here are some more photos from my most recent trip to the Great Wall. I spent seven weeks in China last August and September and it was an excellent trip.

Wonder
2009-02-18, 01:01
I was just watching a show on the Great Wall and thinking "Hmmm, I wonder if I could Thru hike that??""" Perfect timing with the info!!

bryanf
2009-02-18, 10:30
I was just watching a show on the Great Wall and thinking "Hmmm, I wonder if I could Thru hike that??""" Perfect timing with the info!!

I would say the Great Wall is the thru-hike of a lifetime. It includes desert in the west and mountains in the east. Several of our forum members have completed or partially completed the thru-hike of the main line of the Ming Dynasty Great Wall, about 4000 kilometers, depending on the route. One of our members will be setting off in about a month. Here is the thru-hiking forum.

http://www.greatwallforum.com/forum/thru-hiking/

Do you remember what show it was you were watching?

atraildreamer
2009-02-23, 15:48
Let's send those weenies who want the Appalachian Trail paved to the Great Wall to hike! :alberteinThey get their wish to hike on a hard surface and we get rid of the dingbats! :aetsch:

bryanf
2009-02-25, 17:58
Let's send those weenies who want the Appalachian Trail paved to the Great Wall to hike! :alberteinThey get their wish to hike on a hard surface and we get rid of the dingbats! :aetsch:

Spend some time on the Great Wall and you might change your mind about it being a hard surface or which route is for weenies. :aetsch:

In fact the AT is quite easy in comparison. The Great Wall is more remote, more mountainous, and includes desert as well. Thousands of people have thru-hiked the AT and only a handful have made the Great Wall.

atraildreamer
2009-03-11, 16:36
Spend some time on the Great Wall and you might change your mind about it being a hard surface or which route is for weenies. :aetsch:

In fact the AT is quite easy in comparison. The Great Wall is more remote, more mountainous, and includes desert as well. Thousands of people have thru-hiked the AT and only a handful have made the Great Wall.

The picture of the GW, on the left, looks like a section of the AT in PA (where boots go to die!).

My comment was a failed attempt at humor concerning AT hikers (newbies) who complain about animals stealing their food and wanting to be reimbursed, about there not being any electrical outlets in shelters to recharge their cell phones and Ipods, etc. :biggrin:

Anyone who travels to China to hike the GW is deserving of respect. :adore:

bryanf
2009-03-19, 13:09
The picture of the GW, on the left, looks like a section of the AT in PA (where boots go to die!).

My comment was a failed attempt at humor concerning AT hikers (newbies) who complain about animals stealing their food and wanting to be reimbursed, about there not being any electrical outlets in shelters to recharge their cell phones and Ipods, etc. :biggrin:

Anyone who travels to China to hike the GW is deserving of respect. :adore:

Your attempt at humor didn't fail. I laughed anyway! Some people will complain about anything and everything!

And I think anyone who gets off their sofa and gets out on the trail any trail is deserving of respect! :beer: