PDA

View Full Version : Boston Marathon explosions

Hog On Ice
2013-04-15, 16:55
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/15/explosion-reported-near-finish-line-boston-marathon-spokesman-says/

Lugnut
2013-04-15, 18:15
New York Post now reports 12 dead, 50 injured, surprisingly they have a Saudi national in custody!

saimyoji
2013-04-15, 18:42
my brother is there...

Cuffs
2013-04-15, 19:21
Im only hearing of 2 deceased... 30+ injured...

Bulldawg
2013-04-15, 19:32
I've heard stories on twitter from between 2 to 20. Nothing will probably be official until sometime tomorrow I imagine. I follow a guy on twitter who is there. Stories of limbs everywhere. Pray for the people of Boston affected is all I can say.

saimyoji
2013-04-15, 19:50
my brother ran the race today. 2 uncles, 3 aunts, 3 cousins, 4 nieces and nephews and his wife were there to watch him. no word yet.

Skidsteer
2013-04-15, 20:02
my brother ran the race today. 2 uncles, 3 aunts, 3 cousins, 4 nieces and nephews and his wife were there to watch him. no word yet.

Praying for a good report. Let us know.

saimyoji
2013-04-15, 20:10

Roots
2013-04-15, 20:13
praying things are ok, Saimyoji!

JAK
2013-04-15, 20:20
Praying for everyone involved.

wakapak
2013-04-15, 22:48
I had quite a few friends running it today. One of them was only a mile from the finish line when the blasts went off..they were stopped from finishing. Only thing I've heard is she is safe but very shaken up.

Can't even wrap my head around this....to think it's only an hour away from me too....

Austin
2013-04-15, 23:16
This sucks.

dixicritter
2013-04-15, 23:31
Praying for everyone who was there or had someone there for the marathon! Terrible!

Ewker
2013-04-15, 23:52
New York Post now reports 12 dead, 50 injured, surprisingly they have a Saudi national in custody!

Im only hearing of 2 deceased... 30+ injured...

as of this evening 3 dead (one was an 8 yr old boy) 100's injured and no one in custody although they have talked to a few people

sheepdog
2013-04-16, 01:05

me too

JAK
2013-04-16, 18:51
The death of the 8 year old really shook me. Went for a run this morning and thought of him. His mother and sister were badly injured. They were all waiting for the father who was running. To think of the hundred or thousands of miles this father sought to inspire in his son who now cannot, and what of the daughter? Terrible thing. As the other victim identities come out they shake me just as bad. The old fellow too, that was struck to the ground. I guess he is ok, but to think that he lived through most of the Boston Marathons that have ever been run, and this one, just as he was finishing. Just a race, but to be so close and have such a thing on the mind for however many years he has left. I hope he lives long enough to see more hopeful times, for his kin, or has more faith than I do.

Among Those Killed in the Dawn Raid Was a Man Aged a Hundred

When the morning was waking over the war
He put on his clothes and stepped out and he died,
The locks yawned loose and a blast blew them wide,
He dropped where he loved on the burst pavement stone
And the funeral grains of the slaughtered floor.
Tell his street on its back he stopped a sun
And the craters of his eyes grew springshots and fire
When all the keys shot from the locks, and rang.
Dig no more for the chains of his grey-haired heart.
The heavenly ambulance drawn by a wound
Assembling waits for the spade's ring on the cage.
O keep his bones away from the common cart,
The morning is flying on the wings of his age
And a hundred storks perch on the sun's right hand.

Dylan Thomas

Law Dawg (ret)
2013-04-17, 17:04
Dirty rotten terrorist scum. Don't have the stones to take on military or law enforcement but will take out women and children and civilians in general? I'm so angry with our "leaders" for not having the guts to really bring it to them that I could just spit...

sheepdog
2013-04-17, 17:08
I hope they are smart enough to take the perp to gitmo and not read him his rights.

D'Artagnan
2013-04-17, 17:55
I hope they are smart enough to take the perp to gitmo and not read him his rights.

Good point.

Law Dawg (ret)
2013-04-17, 19:09

From the LA Times/ AP (http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-suspect-boston-marathon-bombing-20130417,0,3006353.story)

BOSTON -- A law enforcement official has said an arrest is imminent in the Boston Marathon bombing and that the suspect will be brought to court, according to the Associated Press.

Did you really expect the Fed's assorted alphabet soup agencies at the direction of Holder etal to be that smart?:argh:

Superman
2013-04-17, 20:30
A friend that I met and hiked with in 2011 sent me this. He is a marathon runner. You will note that he says 28 minutes....not rounded off to 30 minutes like we do in the burb.

I am home and safe from my 5th Boston Marathon. It was a most bizarre situation this year with two bombs going off at and near the finish line about 28 minutes after I finished. I was still on the same street where the damage took place getting my things along with thousands of other runners and volunteers. When the first bomb went off we all froze in our tracks wondering what that was. After the 2nd bomb and all of the smoke, people started to move out of the area. When the sirens occurred seconds later we all moved faster. I was headed to the subway station called the T when I learned they had all been closed. From the point walking was the only thing available until I found a cab and jumped in for a ride anywhere away from the scene. An hour later through walking, riding, a bus ride and more walking my friend found me and we went to our original meeting place for food and drink. The day was subdued and quiet for the remainder of thee time. My running companion Rich Power (former student and friend) make these trips together and we drove to and from Boston. It was a long tiring weekend, and we are grateful to be OK. Thank you all for your concern and caring.

Hal

Rosaleen
2013-04-19, 20:44
Crazy doin's in the Boston area. The two suspected brothers involved in yesterday's bombing were cornered last night, around 11 PM and had a shoot-out with law enforcement. One brother is dead, the other fled. One MIT cop was killed before the cops caught up with the brothers. The crazies were not only shooting, but tossing explosives from their car as they tried to escape. Boston and close-in towns are shut down, no mass transit. For a while even cab service was halted. After 7 PM tonig ht, 4 days after the initial bombing, there has just been another volley of shots and explosions in a Watertown neighborhood. Newscasters think they second perp might be cornered in a boat in someone's backyard. Of course, it has been surrounded. I hope they have the guy, but if he is dead, we will have a really hard time finding out if the two guys acted on their own or who worked with them. Breaking news just now, one reporter says they have the guy, but reports conflict, one says he is dead, another says he is moving. The first dead brother had some sort of explosive device on him, so they are concerned that the one they just found may have a suicide vest or soemthing.

I'm glad to be about 40 miles away...

Superman
2013-04-19, 21:23
My son just called from Burlington. It sounds like the kid is about to die. Lot's of blood and a suicide vest.

Rosaleen
2013-04-19, 21:52
Let's hope the kid lives long enough for officials to find out who was helping the terrorists. They had an awful lot of explosives, etc., to finance on their own. The "suspect" is alive and on the way to the hospital right now.

Kanga
2013-04-19, 21:55
he's been taken into custody alive.

Superman
2013-04-19, 22:06
he's been taken into custody alive.

Sucks to be him.

saimyoji
2013-04-19, 22:17
Sucks to be him.

let's hope he survives. the reports of blood, the shooting and exploding may have done him grievous bodily harm.....

J5man
2013-04-19, 22:26
Been watching Diane Sawyer's coverage of the events. Interesting to hear the neighbors on that street call in. Will be interesting to see if he lives thru the night. Obviously the world is a different place from the one we grew up in.

JAK
2013-04-20, 07:58
Don't take this the wrong way, but I was not impressed with the Chechnyan government spokesperson that said this family left the region years ago so it had nothing to do with that country. Just to be clear, not saying their is anything culturally wrong with people from that area, or that what these two brothers did was anything short of senseless cold-blooded murder and slaughter, but when you have war-torn regions like that, where civilians, families, kids, aunts, uncles, old men and women, are getting blown apart every day, for generations, it is bound to produce a few psychos. Combine that with sheer youthful stupididity.

It's really not that complicated. If 2,3,4th+ generation North Americans that did not come from that background go psycho, slaughtering civilians, kids, whoever, why do we jump to the conclusion that these psychos are part of something? If first generation 19 and 25 year olds from Northern Ireland did this, would we assume an IRA connection.

To me this is senseless cold blooded murder, not organized terrorism, not that there is much of a difference. But that russian or chechnyan spokesperson is a piece of shit for denying any culpability. Just my opinion. Also, I don't like the way the media reports these events, cornering family and so forth. Yeah I suppose it sends a message that if you do something like this we will make all of your relative's lives miserable, even ones in Toronto or wherever, but that doesn't make it right. Things are getting just a little too fucked up. Not sure what the answer is, but I don't think going to a totally irrational police state is the correct response to random acts of cold blooded murder.

JAK
2013-04-20, 08:08
Also not saying the police didn't handle it well. They were excellent. The rest is bullshit.

JAK
2013-04-20, 09:30
Not sure if this was the original article I read a few days ago...
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/europe/russia/130419/boston-bombing-suspects-russias-north-caucasus-region

a lot of very sketchy sources

Still saying, typically normal fucked up family, from a more than usual fucked up region, so an older brother fails in the american dream and goes psycho and the younger brother apparently psycho enough to go crazy with him. Or is that all that terrorism is? I could be wrong, but I thought terrorism was supposed to be at least semi-organized. So what do we do now?Arrest the sisters and drop then in Gitmo, or somewhere mid-flight if they don't confess? If they survive the fall, they are witches. Isn't that how it works? Better yet, Salem. It's closer.

Superman
2013-04-20, 09:36
Salem is still milking that witch thing. They would like a bouncing bump in tourism. Just sayin.

Law Dawg (ret)
2013-04-20, 12:24
<snip>Just to be clear, not saying their is anything culturally wrong with people from that area, or that what these two brothers did was anything short of senseless cold-blooded murder and slaughter, but when you have war-torn regions like that, where civilians, families, kids, aunts, uncles, old men and women, are getting blown apart every day, for generations, it is bound to produce a few psychos. Combine that with sheer youthful stupididity.

It's really not that complicated. If 2,3,4th+ generation North Americans that did not come from that background go psycho, slaughtering civilians, kids, whoever, why do we jump to the conclusion that these psychos are part of something? <snip>

To me this is senseless cold blooded murder, not organized terrorism, not that there is much of a difference. <snip>

Not sure what the answer is, but I don't think going to a totally irrational police state is the correct response to random acts of cold blooded murder.

The common element is Islam even the uncle that berated these two said from one side of his mouth that Islam and religion was BS and then said that Chechens were Muslims (in a way that included himself). We are in a murky area so very hard to sort out that saying this is not organized terrorism is just simply not well thought out unless you are thinking "organized" means similar to a military structure. What it looks like we are dealing with here is cell groups that are Muslim and fed by their clerics in religious gatherings not far from many of our own neighborhoods. Two young Muslim men (at least, the full intel is unknown) conspire and leave two explosive devices in a large group of civilians...that's fricken terrorism to me.

Police State; unless we back up and take a wide view of the situation while dealing with this problem a police state is exactly what we will have. Hell it can be argued the needed elements are there now and a form already exists. If we don't track down and kill these militant orthodox Muslims with our military they are going to continue building cell groups in our neighborhoods and force that police state. We need to do the dirty work now, should have started a long time ago, the battle is already 40+ years along for the militant orthodox Muslim side.

JAK
2013-04-20, 16:12
Salem is still milking that witch thing. They would like a bouncing bump in tourism. Just sayin.Thanks for that. I needed someone to lighten the mood. :-)

Superman
2013-04-20, 16:22
:angel:
Thanks for that. I needed someone to lighten the mood. :-)

That's what I'm hear for.:bebored:

JAK
2013-04-20, 17:14
So how 'bout them Red Sox? :viking:

Superman
2013-04-20, 17:24
So how 'bout them Red Sox? :viking:

How bout Boston and those bombers. Shut the whole city down, hunt them down and tear them up. Terrorists may pick a different city next time.

SGT Rock
2013-04-20, 18:33
http://actionflickchick.com/superaction/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/BoondockSaintsPrayer2.jpg