PDA

View Full Version : BMT thru prep - do I need new guide?

urbansix
2013-05-05, 09:34
Hi,

I'm starting to put together a thru hike of the BMT for later this summer. I have the 2011 Guide (did the GA section in '11) but was wondering if there are any substantial differences that would make me need the 2012/13 edition. Not so much in features and off-trail info, but in regards to the trail itself.

Also working from 2011-purchased NatGeo Trails Illustrated maps, fwiw.

--Don

Bearpaw
2013-05-05, 10:31
The one noticeable difference is that the trail ends earlier now. As soon as you cross the bridge into the first parking lot, the BMT ends now. Used to be, you had two miles of road walk up to Davenport Gap to rejoin the AT to "officially" finish the BMT. Nothing that would require a new guide.

I will say I personally like the layout of the newer guide better than the old one.

SGT Rock
2013-05-05, 15:36
I don't see much reason to get a new guide if you have the 2011 guide.

2011 and the 2012-13 guide are in the same basic format so you should be good there. There are some updates to the data like a couple of minor re-routes, so some of the mileages and such are a little different here and there, but nothing you would notice for the most part. And as Bearpaw says, the "offical" BMT now ends at Big creek so you don't have the annoying walk up the road to complete the BMT.

There are some changes in service providers which have also changed some, but not much in general. A new hostel and store in Georgia, updated service info on Hiawassee Outfitters (they don't do mail drops), adding in Reliance Fly and Tackle (excellent place for a resupply), and other things like that. One big change for hikers starting this year and I'm only now getting wind of it, the Ducktown Copper Inn is under new management and they no longer have someone that will get you at the Whitewater center if you call from there. So it is getting a little harder to get into Ducktown.

While you plan your hike, ask me anything you may want to know about any of the resupply points you are planning to use and I'll let you know if there is anything new for those places.

urbansix
2013-05-19, 20:31
Belated thanks for the input. The Davenport Gap revision makes a lot more sense now that I've looked at the map in the book. I'll be going southbound. GPS coordinates are in there, so I will be able to figure it out.

Tin Man
2013-05-19, 21:18
my oh my, how did people hike before gps, right?

urbansix
2013-05-19, 23:10
Just for the ride to the trail head, in this case.

Lugnut
2013-05-19, 23:12
Well if all you need is a ride then Tin Man is the one to call!

sheepdog
2013-05-20, 02:59
Well if all you need is a ride then Tin Man is the one to call!

A trail angel and hiking legend.

Big Mac
2013-05-20, 07:24
maybe he'll make you a stove.

urbansix
2013-06-11, 08:19
I am eyeballing Ducktown TN for a potential town day or nearo. Whitehouse BB 's web address is not coming up (Japanese gravestone seller? Bot-generated placeholder content? (http://www.ocoee-whitehousebb.com/)) - does anybody know if their status? Just looking for a general update on the town's hiker resources, since the 2011 guide. I am also thinking about taking a ride up there one of these weekends just for a look around.

As luck would have it, my tentative schedule puts me at Thunder Rock on a Sunday.

gonecampn01
2013-06-11, 10:09
Starting the BMT in three weeks. This is the packet I ordered from the tall association. Lots of good info!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

SGT Rock
2013-06-13, 11:59
Whitehouse B&B has closed. The Ducktown Copper Inn is under new ownership and doesn't do the shuttle into town anymore.

Superman
2013-06-13, 12:07
Whitehouse B&B has closed. The Ducktown Copper Inn is under new ownership and doesn't do the shuttle into town anymore.

Is that guy that used to do the shuttle for the Ducktown Copper Inn still in the area? I'm guessing he was let go but would still shuttle for some bucks.

SGT Rock
2013-06-13, 12:41
I don't know. The only contact I had for Gilligan was at the copper inn. But that is a good idea.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Bearpaw
2013-06-13, 12:42
I don't know. The only contact I had for Gilligan was at the copper inn. But that is a good idea.

Gilligan is definitely a character. I liked him!

As for getting a ride, I would walk up to the exit from the huge parking lot at the Whitewater Center (maybe 3/4 of a mile) and try to score a hitch from there. If it's a weekend (which is Thursday-Sunday during rafting season), you'll have TONS of outdoors folks heading out. It shouldn't take long to get a hitch.

Superman
2013-06-13, 12:59

I couldn't remember his name....on the other hand...there are a lot of things I can't remember any more. Yes, Gilligan will help a hiker any way he can. He could be worth developing as a resource. I needed a special battery for my water thingy (You know what it's called). He drove me quite a distance to a gun shop that had them.

D'Artagnan
2013-06-16, 14:45
I just wouldn't take a boat ride with him. Unless of course there was a tall red head and an Iowa farm girl along for the trip.

urbansix
2013-06-27, 07:29
I think I am all set with resupply drops. Current plan - 1) Cache somewhere near Lakeview Drive crossing; 2) 20 mile ranger station (wife with car picking up son + supply drop); 3) Webb Bros. @ Reliance (spoke with them - very nice & accommodating); 4) Iron Bridge Cafe @ Aska Rd - I stopped by and they will accept mail drops or dropoff if there is a pickup date with permission to throw it away soon after. They've had no-shows before, but otherwise were cool. 4a) Alternate: cache at Cherry Log.

Copper Inn in Ducktown said they will shuttle if I get a room ($55/night) - gives me a zero + laundry + grocery + restaurant food option.

Just purchased permits for the Smokies, as well. :-)
Shuttle lined up.

SGT Rock
2013-06-27, 12:59
I think I am all set with resupply drops. Current plan - 1) Cache somewhere near Lakeview Drive crossing; 2) 20 mile ranger station (wife with car picking up son + supply drop); 3) Webb Bros. @ Reliance (spoke with them - very nice & accommodating); 4) Iron Bridge Cafe @ Aska Rd - I stopped by and they will accept mail drops or dropoff if there is a pickup date with permission to throw it away soon after. They've had no-shows before, but otherwise were cool. 4a) Alternate: cache at Cherry Log.Sounds solid.

Copper Inn in Ducktown said they will shuttle if I get a room ($55/night) - gives me a zero + laundry + grocery + restaurant food option.Really? Outstanding. I've been told that the new owners were not doing that. I'll be sure to go by there sometime when I'm down in that area and thank them.

Just purchased permits for the Smokies, as well. :-)
Shuttle lined up.

urbansix
2013-06-27, 14:30
Well, that's what the girl at the desk told me, at least, when I stopped by last weekend. 😀

SGT Rock
2013-06-27, 15:06
Well, that's what the girl at the desk told me, at least, when I stopped by last weekend. ��

Can you do me a big favor and get her name and pass it on to me after your hike? It always helps to know who you are talking to.

urbansix
2013-06-29, 06:41
Will do. If memory serves, her name was Courtney. Although I don't think she was the senior most person in charge.

urbansix
2013-08-11, 02:39
I just got in from finishing this SOBO through-hike a few hours ago. More details later.

Rock - forget everything I said about Copper Inn and shuttles. They might hold a box, but the actual owners said that Courtney no longer works here and they don't know what she was talking about. Other margin notes available if you're interested, once I get settled.

Met three NOBO through hikers at various points - Oreo, Golden, Joshua (from Nashville) - haven't checked if they are on HQ or WB yet.

SGT Rock
2013-08-11, 17:36
Sounds great. Send me any new notes you have.