PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Advice, thinking about Salomon Gecko or Amphibian 3. But open to suggestions...

SGT Rock
2013-05-15, 15:29
My trusty Salomon XT Wings 2 which lasted about 1000 miles give or take, are starting to disintegrate. I like them, but wish they were a little more meshy/ventilated and dried just a little faster. I have tried the barefoot style shoe with the Merrell barefoot style and cannot do more than about 10 miles a day in them, so something that minimal won't work for my primary hiking shoe. I've looked at Salomon sandal/shoes online and like the Gecko but think the top opening/tongue may present problems if I have to wear an ankle brace: I still occasionally tweak that ankle that ended my 2008 thru. The Amphibian looks like it has possibilities but I'm concerned about that back strap which I've read some reviews saying it can slip. I'm hoping someone on here has some experience with either of these shoes or has a good idea I haven't looked at yet.

Thanks.

Cuffs
2013-05-15, 16:42
Salomon Tech Amphibians? Not a fan of. Now, granted I had them a couple years ago, but just didnt care for them. They are supposed to be more of a boat/water shoe, very light/open mesh, drainage holes... They new models may fit different/better now. I did the Conasauga in them fine...

Skidsteer
2013-05-15, 17:10
I've had good experience with New Balance 720's, a water shoe with a lacing system similar to Salomon.

Good luck finding them though.

Tin Man
2013-05-15, 19:21
amazon has new balance mx720's on sale... size 13D

Tin Man
2013-05-15, 19:23
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Balance-SM720NV-2E-Silver-Navy-Mens-Outdoors-Water-Shoes-/360622307606

Bearpaw
2013-05-15, 20:12
I wouldn't trust the Techamphibans for long distance hiking. It's not made for lots of walking, more for portaging and entering/exiting the water with a boat. The orthopedics are not very robust compared something in the XA line, a true trail runner/hiker. When I tried them, they had a foam feel with no real support to the arch.

SGT Rock
2013-05-16, 00:32
That tells me exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

SGT Rock
2013-05-16, 00:35
I've had good experience with New Balance 720's, a water shoe with a lacing system similar to Salomon.

Good luck finding them though.

I've had good and bad experiences with NB. I'll cgeck 'em out.

Skidsteer
2013-05-16, 01:00
I've had good and bad experiences with NB. I'll cgeck 'em out.

Keep in mind that I could walk happy if someone nailed horseshoes to my feet.

But, they do have a standard NB last. Which is pretty good.

SGT Rock
2013-05-16, 08:19
I had a pair of NB shoes last for years, I had another pair that the uppers fell apart in a couple of months.

tylert27
2013-05-16, 15:49
Those boots sound great. I was also talking to some guys from hikingboots.com and asked them what type of boots they would recommend and they said they recommended the "Vasque Breeze 2.0" or the "Keen Targhee II."

Tin Man
2013-05-16, 16:30
I love my Keen's, EXCEPT the eyelets for the laces are breaking one by one. I have maybe 300 miles on them and the eyelets started breaking almost right away. That said, I pretty much went from the box to the White's and they were very comfortable from day one.

SGT Rock
2013-05-16, 17:32
I went to my outfitters and tried on various shoes. I ended up getting some Salomons (love the fit) but something a little better ventilated. I got the XR Mission http://www.salomon.com/us/product/xr-mission.html

SGT Rock
2013-05-16, 17:37
Anyone looking for a deal on Montrail boots size 11? At the outfitters, a guy bought 5 pairs for an AT thru-hike ahead of time and his feet grew on his hike. Now he has 4 extra pairs to sell at $50 a shot which includes Smartfoot inserts. They are more footwear than I want and they were too small for me. But it is a hell of a deal.

wakapak
2013-05-17, 09:24
Anyone looking for a deal on Montrail boots size 11? At the outfitters, a guy bought 5 pairs for an AT thru-hike ahead of time and his feet grew on his hike. Now he has 4 extra pairs to sell at $50 a shot which includes Smartfoot inserts. They are more footwear than I want and they were too small for me. But it is a hell of a deal.

That is a great deal but...
Dude, 5 pairs of shoes for a thru!?!? I only ever replaced mine once along the way....5 pairs is a bit of overkill I would think.

SGT Rock
2013-05-17, 09:35
You would have to know the guy.

AdventureStrong
2013-05-18, 00:32
I use Vibram Five Fingers Spyridon LS, so that's not helpful for ya. If it's cold or rainy, I'll wear my Columbia Firelane Low hiking shoes.