PDA

View Full Version : The Honey Bee thread.

Pages : [1] 2

sheepdog
2013-06-16, 18:47
We've got a few here that raise honey bees so what the heck.
Split one of my honey bee hives today. I've never done it before and it's kind of scary taking a hive that is doing well and turning it into two hives. One hive will have to make a new queen. Praying all goes well.

Superman
2013-06-16, 19:03
Good luck with those sons a bees.

Lugnut
2013-06-16, 19:47
Good luck with those sons a bees.

Actually they are all daughters. :albertein

Superman
2013-06-16, 19:49
Actually they are all daughters. :albertein

There you go again getting all bogged down in facts.:biggrin:

Big Mac
2013-06-16, 21:59
There has to be some sons as well to make a new queen.

Lugnut
2013-06-16, 22:48
I think the winner dies on his first flight and they don't let the other males back in. The same thing could happen to us men if we don't keep the girls in check. :ahhhhh:

sheepdog
2013-06-17, 00:48
I think the winner dies on his first flight and they don't let the other males back in. The same thing could happen to us men if we don't keep the girls in check. :ahhhhh:

There are about 1-10,000 drones (male bees) in a hive. One or two drones a year get a chance to get laid. After completing the act, the Queen bee pulls off the drones penis with her bionic vagina; killing him.

DesertReprobate
2013-06-17, 01:19
ouch

generoll
2013-06-17, 08:21
my hives are maintaining, but growing very slowly.

D'Artagnan
2013-06-17, 14:03
There are about 1-10,000 drones (male bees) in a hive. One or two drones a year get a chance to get laid. After completing the act, the Queen bee pulls off the drones penis with her bionic vagina; killing him.

Reminds me of this girlfriend I had in high school.

sheepdog
2013-06-17, 16:05
my hives are maintaining, but growing very slowly.

Do you have Italian bees Gene?

Livx
2013-06-17, 16:35
We've got a few here that raise honey bees so what the heck.
Split one of my honey bee hives today. I've never done it before and it's kind of scary taking a hive that is doing well and turning it into two hives. One hive will have to make a new queen. Praying all goes well.

let us know how it goes. I have one hive, and it is doing well. I thought about splitting it last year, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I have another hive body ready to go. If yours works out ok, I may split mine next spring.

D'Artagnan
2013-06-17, 16:43
OK, I'm gonna be nosey and ask -- How much money are we talking about to get a hive set up from nothing?

Livx
2013-06-17, 17:11
here in east tn. A queen bee with a few pounds of workers will cost around $130.00. Buying a complete brand new hive body with everything that you will need, I am guessing might be around $100 bucks. I bought all my equipment used though, so thats just a rough guess.

sheepdog
2013-06-17, 17:35
I think I had about $300 in my first hive. That counts; hive, bees, books and equipment.
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm this is a good web site for any that are interested.

Belew
2013-06-17, 17:37
I looked into it a while back. I'm think 200 to 300 bucks might get you started. There is a good supplier up at Brushy Mountain.

Belew
2013-06-17, 17:39
There is a class in Forsyth county that starts around January.

sheepdog
2013-06-17, 17:43
It is a great hobby and there is always something to learn. Lots of different bee keeping styles too.

generoll
2013-06-17, 18:08
there's a guy in Lula, Georgia that has dozens if not hundreds of videos on youtube. he calls himself the Fat Bee Man and I think his youtube I.D. is fineshooter. I bought my packages from him for $95 ea. for a mated queen and 4lbs of bees. I'm not sure what kind of bees they are other then he calls them small cell bees. According to him, they are too small for tracheal mites to be a problem. I've fogged them with mineral oil 3 times and see no signs of Varroa mites. he also shows you how to make a control device for hive beetles using boric acid.

DesertReprobate
2013-06-17, 18:28
Dad used to keep his bees in the wall. They had to break the wall up to get to the honey. Not very efficient.

Big Mac
2013-06-17, 20:20
My dad was the local "bee guy". Someone had a swarm in a tree, they'd call him. I'd watch him shake those bees down in the hive and make sure he had the queen. We'd go back later, after dark, and he'd block the entry and load them into his pickup. At one time I know he had 35 hives. Sold the honey to the local grocery. Probably can't do that now. I'd spend hours helping him extract the honey every year.

Lugnut
2013-06-17, 20:24
This thread is a lot more interesting than that one about hockey. :angel:

Big Mac
2013-06-17, 20:27

By a long shot.

Superman
2013-06-17, 20:32
By a long shot.

by a slap shot.

Hog On Ice
2013-06-17, 21:46

but I hope the B's lose

Superman
2013-06-17, 23:00
but I hope the B's lose

How bout those Bruins!

Lugnut
2013-06-17, 23:09
+1 for HOI getting his hockey reference in.

Big Mac
2013-06-17, 23:41
+1 for HOI getting his hockey reference in.

I blame you.

Lugnut
2013-06-17, 23:55
Cry baby! :argh:

Superman
2013-06-18, 00:11
Cry baby! :argh:

You've gotten harsh in your old age.:angel:

cool breeze
2013-06-18, 12:23

Sounds like what just happened to me.

Hog On Ice
2013-06-18, 14:17
sorry to hear that cool breeze

john pickett
2013-06-18, 19:32
"This thread is a lot more interesting than that one about hockey"
So is anything else, cept maybe soccer.

john pickett
2013-06-18, 19:33
"Queen bee pulls off the drones penis with her bionic vagina; killing him"
I can't believe the ladies on this site let that one go.

Kanga
2013-06-18, 19:41
why? most of the time we agree with her.

generoll
2013-06-19, 14:18
check out what I found dead in the bottom of my top bar hive.5074

Kanga
2013-06-19, 14:21
your poor queen.

Cuffs
2013-06-19, 14:34
Uh oh!

sheepdog
2013-06-19, 18:11
check out what I found dead in the bottom of my top bar hive.5074

Could be a new queen that just hatched out. She may have been killed by the old queen. There is only one sheriff in town. Check you frames for eggs and brood. If you have them you prolly are ok.

generoll
2013-06-19, 20:17
no, it was an intruder killed by the bees. my bees are tiny, even the queen is smaller. I just thought it was neat that they'd killed this robber.

Big Mac
2013-06-19, 20:46
no, it was an intruder killed by the bees. my bees are tiny, even the queen is smaller. I just thought it was neat that they'd killed this robber.

Hell yeah, those bitches are mean.

sheepdog
2013-06-19, 21:00

They could mount it in the trophy room.

woodsy
2013-06-19, 21:38
OK, I'll bite even if late to the party.
Got two hives going this year, first time ever but my dad always kept bees not that
i paid any attention back then.
So i got the hive equipment together and built some stuff myself in the wood shop to save a couple bucks. Bought a couple jackets with veils one for the wifey, smoker and hive tool for breaking apart sticky hive boxes and frames.

Got bees from Georgia in late May and let me tell y'all them Georgia queens are hot ! My hives are full of brood (babies) and
getting ready to explode.

And i ain't been bit yet in almost four weeks of keeping them. Sweet gentle honey bees, just be nice to them and treat gently is all.

Looking forward to many years of beekeeping, garden, berries and orchard need them. And honey, sweet liquid gold , mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I probably got 5-600 bucks in it so far with 2 hives and equipment, safety gear. spent more on worse stuff . Interesting critters to have around.

I like bees but just smashed a small nest of bald faced hornets too close to the house, fuck them nasty bastids !

sheepdog
2013-06-19, 23:08
I found a queen walking around on he ground by the hives that I split. I don't know if she was an extra from a swarm or what. I picked her up and put her on the porch of the hive that I suspect did not have a queen. She walked in like she was home. If there is all ready another queen in there someone is gonna get thumped.

D'Artagnan
2013-06-20, 16:25
Cat Fight!!!

sheepdog
2013-06-20, 17:54
Cat Fight!!!

shirt pullin, hair pullin and scratching

Lugnut
2013-06-20, 17:57
Better on a bowling alley floor. :angel:

Cuffs
2013-06-20, 18:09

Thats how pussies fight. Real girls can throw a punch.

Roots
2013-06-20, 18:30

That must be way you see girls in the north do. Down here us girls aren't scared to make a fist or kick ass.

sheepdog
2013-06-20, 18:47
Thats how pussies fight. Real girls can throw a punch.

That must be way you see girls in the north do. Down here us girls aren't scared to make a fist or kick ass.

Hey we've got the two most violent cities in the US. They just bust a cap on folks.

Tuckahoe
2013-06-24, 21:13
Hey we've got the two most violent cities in the US. They just bust a cap on folks.

There is a difference of quantity over quality.

sheepdog
2013-06-27, 01:28
I found a bunch of books by Gilbert M. Doolittle in the Barnes and Noble book site. They are free as nook books.

Cuffs
2013-06-27, 01:31
Does it involve a push-me-pull-you?

sheepdog
2013-06-27, 02:19
Is that good or bad?

john pickett
2013-06-27, 11:40
haha Sheepdog, the push-me-pull-you was a creature found in the Dr. Doolittle childrens books. A two headed, double ended beast. Wow, I think it can be found in Washington D.C. today!

sheepdog
2013-06-27, 13:40
ah....it seems my education is lacking.

Cuffs
2013-06-27, 15:30
haha Sheepdog, the push-me-pull-you was a creature found in the Dr. Doolittle childrens books. A two headed, double ended beast. Wow, I think it can be found in Washington D.C. today!

I'm glad somebody got that!

sheepdog
2013-06-27, 15:57
A push-me-pull-you could come in handy in my line of work.

woodsy
2013-06-27, 19:50
Went in to my two hives today to see whats going on with them.
Its been 11 days since last inspection.

One hive was very orderly, the other one had built comb between the upper and lower boxes
and everything was stuck together between them.

So i commenced to clean up and remove the mess which pissed them off a little but
some smoke kept them at bay while i tidied thing up a bit.

Needless to say there was some spilled honey when i was done.

sheepdog
2013-06-27, 22:36
I hate it when they do that.

generoll
2013-06-28, 08:51
my hives have both stopped growing. plenty of capped brood and larva. some capped honey and plenty of pollen. just no growth. sigh.

sheepdog
2013-06-28, 13:50
my hives have both stopped growing. plenty of capped brood and larva. some capped honey and plenty of pollen. just no growth. sigh.

Is there a dearth going on in your area?

john pickett
2013-06-28, 13:55
"it seems my education is lacking. "
No, only your reading.

sheepdog
2013-07-01, 22:05
Had a major hive robbery happen today. Strong hive attacked the weaker hive to take its honey. I had to put entrance reducers on the weak hive so they had less turf to defend. Hope they survive.

woodsy
2013-07-03, 08:31
Must be glad you caught it and were there to slow it down at least.

Both my hives are fairly equal in strength i think so hope not to see any of that.

Watched some youtube videos on hive robbing so as to know what it looks like.

sheepdog
2013-07-03, 13:23
I prolly lost close to a thousand bees before I got it stopped. A real heart breaker.

DesertReprobate
2013-07-06, 00:06
http://www.dogheirs.com/elleng/posts/3613-labrador-retriever-takes-care-of-bees-in-beekeeper-suit

sheepdog
2013-07-06, 05:20
now that's kinda funny

Belew
2013-07-14, 18:58
If any of y'all plant anything specifically for your bees, check out buckwheat. I planted an acre about a month ago just because mowing gets old. It started to flower this week and I read that it should continue to flower until a frost. I walked out in it this morning and honey bees were all in it.

Hog On Ice
2013-07-14, 19:18
buckwheat pancakes with buckwheat honey - yummmm

Big Mac
2013-07-14, 19:18
If any of y'all plant anything specifically for your bees, check out buckwheat. I planted an acre about a month ago just because mowing gets old. It started to flower this week and I read that it should continue to flower until a frost. I walked out in it this morning and honey bees were all in it.

I think buckwheat honey is pretty dark, and has a distinct flavor if it's own. Dad kept some of his bees on a farm with buckwheat.

Hog On Ice
2013-07-14, 19:29
a description of the process to render beeswax: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95267&p=1349160#post1349160

sheepdog
2013-07-14, 19:56
Bees love buckwheat and I love buckwheat pancakes and waffles. Unfortunately I have no fields. Buckwheat also puts nitrogen back into the soil and is great for building it up.

sheepdog
2013-07-14, 19:56
I think buckwheat honey is pretty dark, and has a distinct flavor if it's own. Dad kept some of his bees on a farm with buckwheat.

Your dad was a beekeeper too?? Awesome.

Big Mac
2013-07-14, 20:02
Big time. I kept one of his honey jars. Use it for loose change.

woodsy
2013-07-14, 22:01
I've got a patch of flowering buckwheat and some Borage too but my bees have found greener pastures elsewhere cause
they don't hang around here much at all. They will though when everything else dries up because like was mentioned
the buckwheat will flower till freezing air hits. I'm a little disappointed that they aren't even hitting my winter squash flowers 50' away.
The Deer gave my buckwheat a haircut recently, they like it too.
I imagine the honey from buckwheat is a tad strong, it sure is rank smelling flowers.

generoll
2013-07-14, 22:02
I've started feeding my bees again. With all the rain all I can figure is that there is a lack of nectar. My bees aren't making any new comb.

sheepdog
2013-07-14, 23:15
I don't know exactly where my weak hive is going with the hive split. The one with the queen has rebounded good and is building comb and brood. Yesterday I stole a deep frame of brood and nurse bees from my big hive and a medium frame of brood and nurse bees from the strong split hive. I gave them both to the week hive to build them up. Hopefully the new queen kicks in soon. I will check again next week end. The new queen should be in the weak split now and hopefully laying eggs.

sheepdog
2013-07-14, 23:16
nice signature Gene

Weary
2013-07-14, 23:28
Coastal Maine with its early morning fogs and lots of rain and drizzle is not a great place for honey bees. For years I kept 3 or 4 hives, mostly as a hobby and to pollinate my small garden, currently around 2,000 square feet. I liked to see bees working my squash, cucumbers, and other crops. Then a neighbor insisted on dusting his corn with bee killing Sevin dusts. After every dusting, the dead bees would pile up just outside their hives. He quoted farm reports insisting his practice was harmless. Eventually, I gave up to avoid a neighborhood squabble among friends. He's long since passed, but I still dream of starting a new hive. But at age 84, what with serving on the boards of two land trusts and continuing as a director of the Maine Appalachian Trail Club and editor of it's newsletter, my wife seems to think I'm already too busy. Our town land trust protected another 25 acres last year at a cost of around $150,000. The new parcels expanded existing land trust preserves and made improvements possible on our existing 22 mile trail system. Now being the only member with trail building experience other directors sort of expect me to build connecting trails. My daughter is getting married next Sunday, here at my house. I've already warned the groom that everyone who joins our family also has to work on trails. They have been together for a decade, so he has long known this, but I thought a reminder might be helpful.

Big Mac
2013-07-14, 23:31
Coastal Maine with its early morning fogs and lots of rain and drizzle is not a great place for honey bees. For years I kept 3 or 4 hives, mostly as a hobby and to pollinate my small garden, currently around 2,000 square feet. I liked to see bees working my squash, cucumbers, and other crops. Then a neighbor insisted on dusting his corn with bee killing Sevin dusts. After every dusting, the dead bees would pile up just outside their hives. He quoted farm reports insisting his practice was harmless. Eventually, I gave up to avoid a neighborhood squabble among friends. He's long since passed, but I still dream of starting a new hive. But at age 84, what with serving on the boards of two land trusts and continuing as a director of the Maine Appalachian Trail Club and editor of it's newsletter, my wife seems to think I'm already too busy. Our town land trust protected another 25 acres last year at a cost of around $150,000. The new parcels expanded existing land trust preserves and made improvements possible on our existing 22 mile trail system. Now being the only member with trail building experience other directors sort of expect me to build connecting trails. My daughter is getting married next Sunday, here at my house. I've already warned the groom that everyone who joins our family also has to work on trails. They have been together for a decade, so he has long known this, but I thought a reminder might be helpful.

Don't let him off the hook .

sheepdog
2013-07-14, 23:36
Hi Weary.....I say get another hive. It'll keep you sane ( or push you over the edge) :D

DesertReprobate
2013-07-25, 18:57
http://qz.com/107970/scientists-discover-whats-killing-the-bees-and-its-worse-than-you-thought/

woodsy
2013-07-26, 23:19
Agree with SD, spent about 600 for two hives and bees and equipment .

sheepdog
2013-08-03, 17:07
I finally have a new laying queen in my hive split. Long live the queen!!!

Superman
2013-08-03, 17:37
One of my good neighbors has bees now. I've never had so much bee activity in my garden. Before he got his bees I was thinking about pollinating my plants myself.

woodsy
2013-08-03, 17:54
I finally have a new laying queen in my hive split. Long live the queen!!!

Success ! Congrats.

woodsy
2013-08-03, 17:58
One of my good neighbors has bees now. I've never had so much bee activity in my garden. Before he got his bees I was thinking about pollinating my plants myself.
Nice that you have some "good" neighbors
Honeybees can make a big difference in a garden. My winter squash and cucumber crops are gonna be incredible this year.
Went out this morning when the sun broke and the honeybees were covered in yellow pollen in the squash patch.

Superman
2013-08-03, 18:56
I've never had neighbor trouble anyplace else I've lived. I've lived here for 11 years but a few years ago she met this guy on line. He moved in and she suddenly got sick and died. He got the house and has been a POS ever since.

woodsy
2013-08-03, 21:44
I need to move further back into the woods, i was further back 23 years ago when i built here, thats progress.

Ray
2013-08-22, 00:10
Wine / Cider press project finished. For now.

Way more than you want to know about it. (http://ray-garden.blogspot.com/2013/08/wine-cider-press.html)

Lugnut
2013-08-22, 00:17
TMI. :ahhhhh: nice!

john pickett
2013-08-22, 10:49
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CAMP-352
Don't know if you want to pay 30 bucks, but here's one spigot.

D'Artagnan
2013-08-22, 11:01
Wine / Cider press project finished. For now.

Way more than you want to know about it. (http://ray-garden.blogspot.com/2013/08/wine-cider-press.html)

You should seriously consider sending that in to "Mother Earth News". That's a really cool repurposing of a lot of items most folks would have laying around.

Wonder
2013-08-22, 11:13
Love that mag, but recently switched to Hobby Farm and Hobby Farm home. Fewer repeat stories

Ray
2013-08-22, 11:33
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CAMP-352
Don't know if you want to pay 30 bucks, but here's one spigot.Thanks. I've already got a spigot from a homebrew shop made to be mounted on plastic buckets. What I need is a hole through the container - a smooth round hole with pretty tight tolerances so that the washers make a good seal against the plastic. Somewhere I've got a set of spade drill bits with (probably) the exact dimension that I need.

Somewhere...

woodsy
2013-08-22, 11:37
Nice job on the press, maybe next year. This years apple crop in the backyard is terrible.
However, the 2 beehives smell really strong like Goldenrod right now. Honey, mmmmmmmm

sheepdog
2013-09-08, 02:11
Any of you beekeepers gonna get any honey this year?

generoll
2013-09-08, 09:29
nope, I'm just hoping to still have bees next year.

john pickett
2013-09-08, 20:04
Doobeedoobeedo.

sheepdog
2013-09-08, 21:57
I have to share some from my good hive to one of my weaker hives. I may get a frame or two. I also will be glad if my bees make it through the winter.

Lugnut
2013-09-08, 23:27
I'll be glad if Superman makes it through the winter. :angel:

Skidsteer
2013-09-08, 23:41
Ouch.

Lugnut
2013-09-08, 23:55
I respect my elders. I'm just that kind of guy. :angel:

sheepdog
2013-09-09, 00:09

awwwww concern about his honey.

Tin Man
2013-09-09, 00:09

he'll be fine as long as he keeps his get out of jail free card...

Lugnut
2013-09-09, 00:21
No. Daisy can take care of herself if she can manage her violent streak.

Superman
2013-09-09, 02:21
No. Daisy can take care of herself if she can manage her violent streak.

I prefer independent females. Winter kept me around because I have thumbs. Daisy keeps me around because...um...er...hmmm...never mind.

sheepdog
2013-09-09, 10:24
Caught my first honey bee eating skunk today. Evidently they like peanut butter on crackers.

john pickett
2013-09-09, 11:02
Are you going to skin him? I hear the market for skunk fur is up!

john pickett
2013-09-09, 11:03
And you'll have all winter for the smell to die! (well, diminish, anyhow)

sheepdog
2013-09-09, 11:17
funny thing about skunks. They go to the hive at night and make noise at the entrance. The guard bees come out and the skunk eats them. They don't care if they get stung. They gotta go.
I take the skunks out into the wilderness where they will be happy and play with the other animals.

Superman
2013-09-09, 12:44
funny thing about skunks. They go to the hive at night and make noise at the entrance. The guard bees come out and the skunk eats them. They don't care if they get stung. They gotta go.
I take the skunks out into the wilderness where they will be happy and play with the other animals.

Is that like taking the old dog to a farm up state?

Roche
2013-09-09, 12:46
Hey, owls have to eat.

sheepdog
2013-09-09, 12:51
Is that like taking the old dog to a farm up state?

He is prolly talkin to bambi wiff a butterfly on his nose right now.

Cuffs
2013-09-09, 13:32
Caught my first honey bee eating skunk today. Evidently they like peanut butter on crackers.

WTF?!?
A honey bee eating a skunk? Remind me that I want no honey from you!

Skidsteer
2013-09-09, 13:37
That's a badass honey bee.

sheepdog
2013-09-09, 15:05
hahahahahahaha

john pickett
2013-09-10, 10:14
"A honey bee eating a skunk?"
Never heard of Africanised Bees?

Roche
2013-09-10, 13:58
Killer Bees

Skidsteer
2013-09-10, 15:10
Killer Bees

I'm glad somebody besides me remembers that.

Crikey
2013-09-10, 16:25
Belushi hated those sketches, according to the bio I read.

DesertReprobate
2013-09-10, 16:37
The ones with bones in their noses and plates in their lower lips?

sheepdog
2013-09-10, 16:58
http://youtu.be/dU97w2DH5mc
dU97w2DH5mc

sheepdog
2013-09-26, 23:31
The drones are being systematically thrown out of the hive. Winter is coming.

Lugnut
2013-09-26, 23:33
A lot of guys here an relate to this! :albertein

sheepdog
2013-09-26, 23:34
Didn't see one of them with a canoe either.

Lugnut
2013-09-26, 23:34
...and if they have a canoe they must leave it in the hive.

sheepdog
2013-09-26, 23:35
zacktly

john pickett
2013-09-27, 11:14
At least hives don't have windows, so they can't be defenestrated. Maybe that explains why they leave the canoes.

sheepdog
2013-10-05, 22:07
made up some bee candy today for winter food for my hives.

john pickett
2013-10-06, 15:35
How do you make "bee candy"?

generoll
2013-10-06, 15:57
are you putting pollen in the candy?

Lugnut
2013-10-06, 16:06
Do you put it in little wrappers?

sheepdog
2013-10-07, 22:51
How do you make "bee candy"?
boil sugar and water down so that when it cools it hardens into a block like rock candy. It is winter bee food.

are you putting pollen in the candy?

I didn't have any pollen so it is just sugar. I wish I would have thought ahead and ordered some. I hate putting sugar in the hive but two of the hives were weak from the split so I thought I would beef them up a bit. I also made some sugar blocks. added just a little water to sugar to make it slightly damp and then pressed it into square tupper ware dishes. Makes like a big sugar cube about 4" x4" x 2" thick. I hope the girls make it through the winter ok. Are you feeding Gene?

generoll
2013-10-07, 23:46
yes, I've been feeding for a month. it seems browse for bees has been affected by the rain. I've lost one hive and the other had nothing but brood cells. since I've started feeding I have honey and nectar cells. I'm going to order some pollen and make up some fondant or candy or whatever. I've got a recipe fpr candy as follows:
7# sugar
1.5 # High Fructose Corns Syrup
2 cups water
1# pollen substitute (added after boilng)

they say to heat the mixture to 220-230 deg, then add the pollen and whip.

saimyoji
2013-10-07, 23:59
Wow. Bees are more maintenance than a girlfriend.

Lugnut
2013-10-08, 00:02
This explains your problems with the cougar. :ahhhhh:

Superman
2013-10-08, 00:05
You have to give all females some sugar from time to time....a little pollen wouldn't hurt either.:angel:

Rasty
2013-10-08, 00:10
yes, I've been feeding for a month. it seems browse for bees has been affected by the rain. I've lost one hive and the other had nothing but brood cells. since I've started feeding I have honey and nectar cells. I'm going to order some pollen and make up some fondant or candy or whatever. I've got a recipe fpr candy as follows:
7# sugar
2 cups water

Does it come out like nougat? Recipe sounds familiar

generoll
2013-10-08, 00:14
haven't made it yet.

sheepdog
2013-10-08, 12:14
7# sugar
2 cups water

Let me know how that turns out. I've tried the fondant thing and it was always a little wet. I had to pack it up with sugar to hold it together and keep it from running all over the hive.

Rasty
2013-10-08, 18:23
From the looks of the recipe you should get a semi soft nougat like paste that won't freeze easily because of the corn syrup.

sheepdog
2013-11-09, 10:16
I think my hives are about done for the year. I have one hive that seems to brave the cold and gets active when the others are inside shivering. If they survive the winter they will be my breeding stock to start new hives. Cold tolerance is a good thing up here.
I have the hives all pushed together to share warmth and wrapped in insulation. I hope they all make it.

john pickett
2013-11-09, 21:16
Sheepdog, if you don't take those poor bees inside your house, I'm calling the ASPCB on you!

sheepdog
2013-11-10, 01:14
I baby my bees. They love me.

woodsy
2014-01-14, 17:35
Both my hives are dead already, not sure why but maybe wussy Ga. raised bees can't handle the cold or weakened from mites .
Anyhow i just got 8 qts honey off them and am one sweet SOB !
Got 2 Nucs on order from a local beekeeper for spring, ain't giving up just yet .
Good luck with overwintering yours.

Superman
2014-01-14, 17:39
Both my hives are dead already, not sure why but maybe wussy Ga. raised bees can't handle the cold or weakened from mites .
Anyhow i just got 8 qts honey off them and am one sweet SOB !
Got 2 Nucs on order from a local beekeeper for spring, ain't giving up just yet .
Good luck with overwintering yours.

My neighbor is from South Carolina. He got his bees from down there. One hive is strong but the other was dying the last time I talked to him. It was nice seeing the bees in my garden last year.

woodsy
2014-01-14, 17:51
My neighbor is from South Carolina. He got his bees from down there. One hive is strong but the other was dying the last time I talked to him. It was nice seeing the bees in my garden last year.

Yup, we really enjoyed having bees around this summer plus we had the best squash and cuke harvest ever . 100 lbs of winter squash , bees were all over the flowers.

Superman
2014-01-14, 18:02
Yup, we really enjoyed having bees around this summer plus we had the best squash and cuke harvest ever . 100 lbs of winter squash , bees were all over the flowers.

We get the same weather as where Daisy's son lives in Richmond, ME. Daisy wants a house there and I want to be Bearpaws neighbor.

sheepdog
2014-01-14, 18:28
Sorry about your bees Woodsy. At least the new ones will have a jump start with new comb. Mine were alive the last thaw. This winter has been brutal and I am worried.

woodsy
2014-01-14, 18:41
Sorry about your bees Woodsy. At least the new ones will have a jump start with new comb. Mine were alive the last thaw. This winter has been brutal and I am worried.

I don't think mine made it through Dec. We had a sudden cold snap to twenty below zero one night and many subzero nights in Dec.
Kinda harsh conditions for early winter.

Good to hear yours are hanging tough.

rcli4
2014-01-14, 20:07
We get the same weather as where Daisy's son lives in Richmond, ME. Daisy wants a house there and I want to be Bearpaws neighbor.

You know you really want to live in Florida.

Superman
2014-01-14, 20:52
you know you really want to live in florida.

lmao

rcli4
2014-01-14, 21:07
lmao

I could hook you up with Rosetta Stone so you could learn Spanish.

Superman
2014-01-14, 21:16
I hear Rosetta does it.

Lugnut
2014-01-14, 21:50
Only when she's stoned.

Superman
2014-01-14, 21:55
I took French in high school. Wow, was that ever useful. Now I need to learn Spanish so I can order food at McDonalds.

generoll
2014-01-14, 23:10
surprisingly, my bees survived the -1 temp last week. still working on my pipes.

D'Artagnan
2014-01-15, 10:14
surprisingly, my bees survived the -1 temp last week. still working on my pipes.

Have you switched to PEX? It's definitely on my to-do list.

http://www.pexsupply.com/pex?gclid=CLyEndSugLwCFYEDOgodkncArw

Superman
2014-01-15, 10:36

Pex is cheaper, easier, faster, doesn't rupture from the cold. If you try pex you'll never do copper again.

generoll
2014-01-15, 12:25
my pipes were cpvc, is that like Pex? it split.

Superman
2014-01-15, 16:06
my pipes were cpvc, is that like Pex? it split.

No, pex is like a flexible hose.

Belew
2014-01-15, 18:30

I can help you with that if you would like. I have all the tools for it.

john pickett
2014-01-15, 22:02
"I want to be Bearpaws neighbor."
How does he feel about that?

Superman
2014-01-15, 22:12
"I want to be Bearpaws neighbor."
How does he feel about that?

He's laying out a perimeter with interlocking fields of fire.

sheepdog
2014-01-16, 10:01
bwahahahahahahaha

D'Artagnan
2014-01-16, 11:28
No, pex is like a flexible hose.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. My house should be relatively simple since I have a basement with easy access to all my pipes.

Oops! I meant to quote Belew.

Belew
2014-01-16, 19:05
Cool, we should be able to do it in a day.

john pickett
2014-01-17, 17:11
And claymores! Don't forget the claymores!

john pickett
2014-01-17, 17:12
Cause Bearpaw sure won't!

Superman
2014-01-17, 17:35
Cause Bearpaw sure won't!

When claymores just don't say enough. I have a friend that is called "Det Cord." His claim to fame was that he was about the only one we ever heard of that used a bangalor torpedo in Vietnam.

john pickett
2014-01-17, 20:38
I actually got to play with det cord. One of the few corpsmen to have that privilege. I was at 29 stumps about 1982 on a combined arms exercise. Bunch of marine combat engineers needed to take a walk-about in the desert and were happier having a corpsman around to warn them when they were in danger of heatstroke. Nice bunch of lads. Let me play with their toys.

john pickett
2014-01-17, 20:39
But I never got to play with a Bangalore torpedo. (sigh)

Superman
2014-01-17, 22:19
But I never got to play with a Bangalore torpedo. (sigh)

I was an RTO. There were times that I would have done anything to have more medical training. I carried a little of this and a little of that. I mostly carried C-4 in case I got stuck cooking my own food or making my own coffee. I seldom had to do either. I just anteed up and someone would deliver. Unlike all the Rambo's I meet these days I preferred large operations. At Ben Suc each wave of choppers landed a whole battalion.

john pickett
2014-01-20, 07:14
I hear a guy can do lots of good things if he just has enough C-4 at hand.

Superman
2014-01-20, 08:47
I hear a guy can do lots of good things if he just has enough C-4 at hand.

Some guys can cook a hell of a meal with it.

Ray
2014-01-20, 18:28
I hear a guy can do lots of good things if he just has enough C-4 at hand.I'll never forget the first time I saw somebody light a chunk in a John Wayne bar can to make Jiffy Pop.

I was the FNG in an Engineer Bn, first time in the field, with a brand new degree in Chemical Engineering hanging in my parents hallway, and I beat feet beaucoup quick. At that time I didn't even know how much I had been riding around with in the back of my truck.

Superman
2014-01-20, 18:36
I'll never forget the first time I saw somebody light a chunk in a John Wayne bar can to make Jiffy Pop.

I was the FNG in an Engineer Bn, first time in the field, with a brand new degree in Chemical Engineering hanging in my parents hallway, and I beat feet beaucoup quick. At that time I didn't even know how much I had been riding around with in the back of my truck.

LMAO, all FNGs are funny. Everyone was an FNG at one time.

john pickett
2014-01-21, 20:51
What's an FNG? Or can that be answered on this (mostly) family friendly site?

Skidsteer
2014-01-21, 20:53
Fuckin' New Guy.

rcli4
2014-01-21, 21:09
".........

Superman
2014-01-21, 21:23
What's an FNG? Or can that be answered on this (mostly) family friendly site?

How can you not know that?

Lugnut
2014-01-21, 23:12
F*^~kin' new guy

john pickett
2014-01-22, 12:38
Probably because I'm mostly family friendly.

Big Mac
2014-01-22, 12:43
The F is how the family gets started. . .

Roche
2014-01-22, 14:47
How can you not know that?I have a similar issue but it's with text acronyms; wdyjgi keeps me hip with the kids, dog (did I say that correctly, I'm sensing many pairs of eyes rolling).:rolleyes:

woodsy
2014-01-22, 15:47
Lets leave the REMFs out of this discussion relating to FNGs.

Superman
2014-01-22, 17:11
Probably because I'm mostly family friendly.

Those acronyms were common at the time you would have been in service. They were the same in each branch.

saimyoji
2014-01-22, 19:53
Ridge? Is that you?

Belew
2014-02-21, 20:41
My bee hives showed up in the mail today. Got a busy weekend ahead of me putting them together. Whoo hoo!

sheepdog
2014-02-22, 19:48
My bee hives showed up in the mail today. Got a busy weekend ahead of me putting them together. Whoo hoo!

Welcome to the insanity.

sheepdog
2014-02-22, 19:50
http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

toecutter1978
2014-02-22, 20:21
Wow! I have always wanted to raise bees. Hopefully after I get settled down the misses and I can start a hive.

Bearpaw
2014-02-22, 20:24
Lets leave the REMFs out of this discussion relating to FNGs.

REMF was more of an army term. Marines used to call them pogues, which was the term the old school navy used for cabin boys who got buggered back in the days of rum, sodomy, and the lash. Sometime in the last 15 years since I got out, the term morphed into POG, still pronounced the old way, meaning Personnel Other than Grunts. Whenever there was an argument between a combat arms Marine and support folks, it often ended with a loud "Women do your job, POGUE!"

The term also gave birth to the term "pogie bait", meaning either candy or underage girls.

When I consider how uncivil we were in a mostly peace time military, it's amazing how functional most returning combat vets actually are.

Superman
2014-02-22, 20:31
REMF was more of an army term. Marines used to call them pogues, which was the term the old school navy used for cabin boys who got buggered back in the days of rum, sodomy, and the lash. Sometime in the last 15 years since I got out, the term morphed into POG, still pronounced the old way, meaning Personnel Other than Grunts. Whenever there was an argument between a combat arms Marine and support folks, it often ended with a loud "Women do your job, POGUE!"

The term also gave birth to the term "pogie bait", meaning either candy or underage girls.

When I consider how uncivil we were in a mostly peace time military, it's amazing how functional most returning combat vets actually are.

In Vietnam we used the word "poge" for anyone who wasn't infantry. REMF got to be more popular later on.
After thinking about it REMF really expressed our contempt for the ones in the rear with the beer. There were a lot of troops that weren't infantry that found themselves in the shit. To name a few there were combat engineers that some times came out and built our NDPs because we were running late. incidentally they built those NDPs deep in Indian country with no security but themselves. We tried to get them out but sometimes they see how the riff raff lives. Chopper crews, forward observers, demolition, tunnel rats and there were probably more that I can't think of right now.

woodsy
2014-02-23, 09:51
REMF : rear echelon mutha fker

woodsy
2014-02-23, 10:05

Life will never be the same, good luck with them !

Welcome to the insanity.

And the benefits of beekeeping. I think getting stung on the hands a few times helped with my arthritic fingers, its called apitherapy .
That and increased vegetable / fruit production along with almost 3 gallons of raw honey in the pantry.
Those Italian Ga. bees are great honey producers but they didn't care much for our cold winters, all dead now.

generoll
2014-02-23, 10:42
surprisingly, my small hive has so far survived the winter. I expected mine to be dead, but they just keep on chugging away. I saw some bees coming into the hive with pollen the other day. Where they find pollen this time of the year I have no idea.

Ray
2014-02-23, 10:45
Lots of trees are starting to bloom here, Gene. Red maples and such. They don't have big flashy flowers but send out a lot of pollen.

sheepdog
2014-02-23, 18:27
Basswood honey is one of the finest.

Belew
2014-02-23, 19:58
So far my options for bees are hygienic Italians or Russians. I think I'm gonna go with the Russians.

sheepdog
2014-02-23, 21:04
So far my options for bees are hygienic Italians or Russians. I think I'm gonna go with the Russians.

Russians aren't as mellow as Italians.

Superman
2014-02-23, 21:09

Woody's Italian bees died. Just sayin.

sheepdog
2014-02-23, 21:12

Belew doesn't live in Maine either....just sayin

sheepdog
2014-02-23, 21:13
:aetsch::aetsch::aetsch:

Superman
2014-02-23, 21:15
Belew doesn't live in Maine either....just sayin

Plus with global warning there won't be any cold for them to deal with.

DesertReprobate
2014-02-23, 22:10

It's hard to fly when you're talking with your hands

Superman
2014-02-23, 22:12

lmao

sheepdog
2014-02-23, 23:01

be careful. they know a bee, that knows a bee, that takes care of things.

D'Artagnan
2014-02-23, 23:19
surprisingly, my small hive has so far survived the winter. I expected mine to be dead, but they just keep on chugging away. I saw some bees coming into the hive with pollen the other day. Where they find pollen this time of the year I have no idea.

I was outside most of the afternoon today. Had to put up a new mailbox thanks to last week's snow/snow plow. Started sneezing like crazy so I figured something must be starting to bloom. Yay, Spring.

Crikey
2014-02-24, 11:03
I was outside most of the afternoon today. Had to put up a new mailbox thanks to last week's snow/snow plow. Started sneezing like crazy so I figured something must be starting to bloom. Yay, Spring.

I saw a mosquito yesterday.

Wonder
2014-02-24, 11:27
I saw 2 snakes on Thursday........ Spring is a-coming!

woodsy
2014-02-24, 13:53

I've heard that .
The Italians were fine bees , hard workers.
Going with Carniolans this time, local raised bees.

Local Bee school starts thurs. night , should help seeings I'm still a dummy .

generoll
2014-02-24, 16:38
opened my hive today to see if I could find the queen. it was a bit cooler then I like for opening the hive (57), but I really wanted to know if the gal had survived the winter. I only have two frames of bees so I was surprised that the hive had survived. I took out one frame and there are larva, so I guess queenie is doing her job. Shut up the hive and hope for the best.

john pickett
2014-02-24, 18:36
"I saw 2 snakes on Thursday"
You back in Canada, Ms. Wonder?

sheepdog
2014-02-24, 22:36
I've heard that .
The Italians were fine bees , hard workers.
Going with Carniolans this time, local raised bees.

Local Bee school starts thurs. night , should help seeings I'm still a dummy .
I have carnies. I'm hoping they made it through this winter. Carnies are wonderful bees. very mellow and they don't need as many bees to make it through the winter. They are a joy to work with.

john pickett
2014-02-27, 12:09
Carnies are ok, but watch your wallet.

Crikey
2014-02-27, 14:34
Don't let your daughter date one.

Superman
2014-02-27, 16:53
Don't let your daughter date one.

That's funny right thar.

sheepdog
2014-03-01, 18:35

did you get your hives put together?

Belew
2014-03-01, 18:40
The boxes are together, still got to put the frames together. I think I'll work at it some more tonight. I just put in a call to a guy that has a few carnie nucs. Just about everyone around here has Italians for sale.

saimyoji
2014-03-03, 08:55
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/02/28/bees-vs-beetles-beekeeper-saving-hives-with-new-invention/

Belew
2014-03-03, 12:51
So simple. I'll be making some of those.

sheepdog
2014-03-13, 09:53
My bees didn't make it through the winter. Too many weeks of subzero temps I'm afraid....try, try, again...

Superman
2014-03-13, 10:10
My bees didn't make it through the winter. Too many weeks of subzero temps I'm afraid....try, try, again...

Maybe a little light bulb would keep the little sons of b... warm

sheepdog
2014-03-13, 11:06
Maybe a little light bulb would keep the little sons of b... warm

funny you should say that. That is my plan for next year. A light under the hive with insulation to the ground.

Superman
2014-03-13, 11:24
funny you should say that. That is my plan for next year. A light under the hive with insulation to the ground.

That was enough to keep my chickens warm enough back when I had chickens. I put a chicken wire cover over the bulb so they wouldn't burn themselves on it.

Big Mac
2014-03-13, 12:10
Would that make them too active?

Belew
2014-03-13, 12:31
Black light

Belew
2014-03-13, 12:32
That sucks, sheepdog

rcli4
2014-03-13, 12:33
if your gonna use a regular bulb you better buy it quick. Obama has made it against the law to sell them. I think July 1st. I haven't seen any in a while.

Wonder
2014-03-13, 12:40
I know I plan to stock up on round bulbs for my dimmers......... Already switched everything else out to cfl

john pickett
2014-03-13, 13:19
Maybe you could invite PETA to shelter your beehives. Aren't they concerned for the safety of All animals? See if there's a PETA office near your home. When bad weather threatens, take your hives to their office; maybe a news photographer would like to come along to document their response!

woodsy
2014-03-13, 13:45

Awww, that suks sheepdog, had hopes of yours making it through. Any honey left behind ?
Has been a rough winter temp wise.
I see a lot of people on beesource reporting losses this winter.

sheepdog
2014-03-13, 17:52
Awww, that suks sheepdog, had hopes of yours making it through. Any honey left behind ?
Has been a rough winter temp wise.
I see a lot of people on beesource reporting losses this winter.

I going to wait for warmer weather to go through the hives. I imagine there is honey left, they were just to cold to move around.

sheepdog
2014-03-13, 17:52
Would that make them too active?

gonna try to give them just a little heat. not too much

Lugnut
2014-03-13, 18:03
Get them little yellow down jackets. :angel:

sheepdog
2014-03-13, 19:49
Get them little yellow down jackets. :angel:

yellow jackets are a whole different species.

Skidsteer
2014-03-13, 20:29

Are you sure they're not just mostly dead?

Superman
2014-03-13, 20:33

You're thinking that if he gives them mouth to mouth they will come back?

sheepdog
2014-03-13, 20:49

I don't have enough money for a miracle man and the cause is not all that noble.

Superman
2014-03-13, 22:24
http://www.seventhgeneration.com/learn/blog/founding-great-polli-nation?fb_action_ids=10152090273118495&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B478111595648307%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.likes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

sheepdog
2014-03-13, 22:30
cool

sheepdog
2014-09-27, 20:53
robbed the girls today....bumper crop of honey. Got 15 frames full. I'll let you know how much that is after processing. Prolly close to 50lbs.

SGT Rock
2014-09-27, 22:27
Mmmmmm

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

saimyoji
2014-09-27, 22:41
This thread has two more pages I cant see.

Superman
2014-09-27, 22:57
This thread has two more pages I cant see.

You don't have a high enough security clearance.

SGT Rock
2014-09-27, 23:22
NSA has the redacted pages

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

john pickett
2014-09-28, 12:49
"This thread has two more pages I cant see. "
Might want to lay off the saki.