PDA

View Full Version : What are the best insoles for hiking boots?

hikingtothemoon
2013-07-01, 11:11
I was gonna buy some insoles for my very expensive hiking boots but seeing as i just spent a load on hiking boots i don't wanna then spend million on some custom insoles that cost nearly as much as the boots so i was wondering what should i do?

Do you really need custom insoles? Is there a difference between arch supports, plantar fasciitis or sports insoles really?

Any ideas

found these 34 length orthotic insoles (http://nuovahealth.co.uk/shop/34-length-orthotic-arch-support/‎) what do you think are they good?

thanks

I tried clicking on the gear forums on this forum but for some reason the gear forum doesnt show up with anything its say something like sorry no threads have been around for 30 days or soemthing like that...

:) IM NEW HERE SO HEY!

SGT Rock
2013-07-01, 12:34
I've tried Superfeet but didn't find them to be all that. I usually don't add insoles unless the ones that come with my shoes break down. Then I just get some Dr Shoals atheletic gel inserts.

Hog On Ice
2013-07-01, 14:31
mostly it depends on how much damage you feet have taken already - in my case I have left over heal spurs from PF years ago and also a touch of Morton's neuroma due to hiking in shoes that were a touch too narrow with socks that were too thick - I went the custom orthotics route and have been reasonably happy with the results - if you know what your issues are it is likely that you can find an OTC solution but if you don't know or if your feet are basically strange then its best to see the podiatrist.

Big Mac
2013-07-01, 16:24
The only time my feet have hurt is the one time I tried to wear insoles. Learned my lesson again - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Everybody is different, trial and error is the solution.

Bearpaw
2013-07-01, 22:42
Superfeet green insoles work well for many, if they give them a couple of Weeks of break-in time. For some they are just too firm.

Superman
2013-07-01, 23:44
Superfeet green insoles work well for many, if they give them a couple of Weeks of break-in time. For some they are just too firm.

I use the extra wide ones.

Sweetpeastu
2013-07-02, 01:14
superfeet pinch my arches b/c apparently my arches are too flat. I've had good luck with Spenco Cross Trainer insoles.....they have a molded arch but no hard plastic to irritate anything and they seem to sorta mold to my feet after a while. I usually only replace insoles when the ones in my boots hit the dust...as they recently did. My spencos are in the mail as I type ;) Good luck!

john pickett
2013-07-02, 13:26
hikingtothemoon,
Try wearing your new boots a few weeks before you buy inserts. You probably will find they're fine as they come. I don't need inserts until the old ones start to break up.

hikingtothemoon
2013-07-03, 05:13
Thanks for your advice guys, i guess i could always buy a cheap 10 online just so i got a pair and add them later on if i need to,

:D time for hiking now as its summer

Ray
2013-07-03, 09:57
They might be cheap but ten pound inserts would be really heavy.

Cuffs
2013-07-03, 12:51
Return the really expensive hiking boots and get medium priced trail runners and buy a nice insert.

Wonder
2013-07-08, 15:58
I have major foot an ankle issues and have been able to get by with OTC insoles....... But to need the insole as I have fallen arches. I switched to trail runners at one point, but the ankle support of a boot is needed in my case. I like the super feet women's( pink, of course, belch) and they are gaining popularity with men too! The biggest difference between them and the green is that they offer more of a cushion. The greens a simply too hard for anyone with contact/impact issues. I would think that they would cut down on shin splints and knee ware too...... But I have no research other then my own experience to back that up.

D'Artagnan
2013-07-08, 16:39
I know this is a little diversion from the original post, but for the past month I've been having trouble with a recurrance of plantar fasciatis in my left heel. About three days ago I switched back to my Salomon trail runners and this morning when I got up -- no heel pain. I'll definitely keep wearing them for the next week or so to see if it continues to help.

Bearpaw
2013-07-08, 16:56
I have major foot an ankle issues and have been able to get by with OTC insoles....... But to need the insole as I have fallen arches. I switched to trail runners at one point, but the ankle support of a boot is needed in my case. I like the super feet women's( pink, of course, belch) and they are gaining popularity with men too! The biggest difference between them and the green is that they offer more of a cushion. The greens a simply too hard for anyone with contact/impact issues. I would think that they would cut down on shin splints and knee ware too...... But I have no research other then my own experience to back that up.

The mens are orange. They definitely offer more shock absorption than greens, but I also found they didn't provide the level of support our heel alignment. For a running shoe, they would be a very good option. If you have wider flatter feet, they break in much quicker.

Cuffs
2013-07-08, 17:35
There's actually about 15 different varieties/colors these days...

Hog On Ice
2013-07-08, 17:38
There's actually about 15 different varieties/colors these days...

do they come in fuchsia?

anyone get the RH ref?

Cuffs
2013-07-08, 17:42
I guess you'd call it that. Kinda fuchsia/magenta. There's also a pink...

sheepdog
2013-07-08, 22:30
there are only 8 colors

Cuffs
2013-07-08, 23:22
oh?

http://www.superfeet.com/products/

sheepdog
2013-07-09, 00:43
oh?

http://www.superfeet.com/products/

Real men only recognize 8 colors(unless they are talking about fishin lures).

Superman
2013-07-09, 03:08
Real men only recognize 8 colors(unless they are talking about fishin lures).

That's true.

john pickett
2013-07-09, 16:37
Do they have an odor-eater type for Texas Aggies?

Ray
2013-07-10, 10:01
Do they have an odor-eater type for Texas Aggies?Tried them but they tasted terrible. (TAMU '79)

john pickett
2013-07-10, 14:12
Haha! Gig'em!