PDA

View Full Version : JMT Databook: For your review/use

SGT Rock
2013-08-01, 14:58
Some of you may know that I am contemplating hiking the JMT in a year or two. I've been doing some research and haven't been happy overall with the available guidebooks for one reason or another. Since I have to sometimes kill time at work, like my own guidebook format, and I'm keen on making my gear work the way I want it to. I started this as a sideline project over the last few months, working it a little bit at a time here and there. It ain't perfect, but here it is for anyone wanting to use it:

Hog On Ice
2013-08-01, 16:42
first pass review:

Header of each data page - Indicate is misspelled in "Underlined milages idicate info in Yogi's Guide" also "milages" is more commonly spelled "mileages" but is considered an acceptable variation.

Area typo in "C1.03: Large camping area by Sunrise Creek"

"and" typo in "C5.08: Large site in hemlocks and fir forest"

"Gladys" typo in "C4.11: Medium sized sites in forest opening along the southwestern edge of Gladys Lake"

"Cathedral" typo in "Lower Cathedral Lake Jct, C1.22: Many picturesque sites available at the lower Cathedral Lakes, 0.5mi off trail"

"Lake Virginia" misspelled two places - "C5.05: Sites nested among stunted witebark pines to the northwest of Lake Virginia" and "73.5 145.4 Lake Virginia inlet"

"whitebark" typo in 'C5.13: Sites among slabs to the edge of meadows surrounding tarns near Chief Lake; open with just a few whitebark pines"

"descent" misspelled in "C6.06: Small site with beautiful views and junipers on descent to Bear Creek"

"large" typo in "C10.04: Large site in lodgepole forest"

dup word "of" in "C10.09: Site to west of trail behind boulders; follow use trail just north of Baxter pass"

sandy knobs ??? instead of sandier knobs in "C10.10: Many sites along lake; some in open lodgepole forest and others on open sandy knobs; excellent views to Fin Dome "

"visible" misspelled in "C10.07: Small sites visible from trail and larger ones if you head north"

"various" typo in "C12.06 Various sites along Wrights Creek under open lodgepole cover north of crossing"

also in "C12.07: Various sites at Wrights Creek crossing under open lodgepole pines;"

dangling "you must" in "C12.19: Many exposed sandy sites among slabs and boulders on bluffs above the west end of lake; beautiful views to the Kaweahs and Mt Whitney; you must"

SGT Rock
2013-08-01, 16:44
As per the license agreement in the Delorme Topo Software, I'm providing these maps for personal, non commercial use on my website with the link: www.delorme.com

These maps are made using the Wenk.gbd file from this site: http://www.kevinaston.com/JMTSpreadsheet.html in a 1:37,500 format.

Section 1 - 2 covers Yosemite to Red Meadow.

SGT Rock
2013-08-01, 16:50
As per the license agreement in the Delorme Topo Software, I'm providing these maps for personal, non commercial use on my website with the link: www.delorme.com

These maps are made using the Wenk.gbd file from this site: http://www.kevinaston.com/JMTSpreadsheet.html in a 1:37,500 format.

Section 3 - 4 covers Red Meadow to Kersarge Pass

SGT Rock
2013-08-01, 16:54

Section 5 covers Kersarge Pass to Whitney Portal

SGT Rock
2013-08-01, 17:15
Good catches. Most were not show stoppers, but the dangling "You must..." had important information after it that got covered up. I had to edit that page a good deal to fix that as there are many entries on that page. Also "sandier" is how Elizabeth Wenk described that campsite, so I stuck with that in the description in case it is somehow important to finding the campsites.

You may notice something I mentioned on our Slickrock hike about these campsite descriptions. They mention the trees around the campsites which would be important to us hammock campers in picking say campsite 12.17 over campsite 12.22.

SGT Rock
2013-08-01, 17:16
Updated version 1.1

SGT Rock
2013-08-01, 17:52
JMT Profile and Data Pages

By Ernest Engman AKA SGT Rock

www.hikinghq.net

in 2013 I started planning to hike the John Muir Trail in the summer of 2014 (now pushed back to summer 2015 for
family reasons). As a part of that planning I started looking at web resources and published guidebooks for information
on the trail to plan resupply, mileages per day, side trips, etc. I found a number of sources for this information, but none
were laid out in a way I like to use trail data. So I started a side project to create my own “Databook” in the style of my
BMT Thru‐hikers guide, but without the town data, just the profile and data points. This file is the results of that effort.

This file is not 100% JMT and some of the data may not be correct. When I did this, I tried my best to consolidate the
various information sources used to determine distances and location descriptions. I also did not make the file 100%
pure JMT – in the area of Devil’s Postpile I plan to take a slightly alternate route to the JMT for easier resupply and
possibly better views of the Postpile. I have also not hiked the trail yet to verify the profile or mileages, so all this is
basically a research project. If you decided to use this file in planning or conducting your hike, please understand this
and know I make no guarantees to its accuracy. However I do feel that I’ve gotten it close enough that I will use it on my
hike.

Credit

There are a large number of sources I looked at, and some I did not use at all, but did consider and I’ll list those at the
end. The main sources for how I put together my mileages and profiles:

Profile: The profile was created by editing Mr Parkay’s profile found at: http://parkaymaps.110mb.com/. There was not
much editing, just some stretching and skewing to make the profile line up better with the mileage data. That said, there
was a section of about 10 miles that I could not seem to resolve, so in the profile I lined up the mileage points with the
profile where Mr Parkay had them, but the actual mileage listed in the data was per my mileage sources. For what it is
worth, these were generally within about ˝ mile, but a couple were about 1 mile in discrepancy.

Mileage and Descriptions: My main source for mileages and descriptions was “John Muir Trail: The essential guide to
hiking America’s most famous trail” by Elizabeth Wenk with Kathy Morey. It is a great guidebook and if you plan to use
this file, I recommend in fairness sake you buy a copy. But not only for that, but you may want to have the guide to read
the more in‐depth detailed descriptions of the trail. To verify the data in this file, I also downloaded the GPS track and
waypoints that are found here: http://www.kevinaston.com/JMTSpreadsheet.html ‐ look for the Wenk.gbd file. Using
this file in Delorme Topo North America, I measured distances between the waypoints in the file to get a corroborating
distance to what was listed in the guidebook. I assume this waypoint file was made by the same Wenk that wrote the
guidebook.

Now that I have mentioned that file, I’ll also mention that I made my own maps for the hike using that file. I found that
my two main map choices presented the trail in scale I didn’t like. One had way too many maps because there were only
about 5 trail miles on each map, and the other was way too small in detail for what I wanted. I plan to look into the
copyright issues and present those maps later if possible.

Town Data: I also used the PCT Databook and Yogi’s PCT guide as a supplement. You may notice in the far right column it
is titled “PCT”. These are the corresponding PCT mile points from the PCT Databook. And the ones that are underlined
have supplemental data in Yogi’s PCT guide pages. Yogi’s guidebook is very well written and includes a good deal of
useful town data or place data. I figured the best solution is to hike with the corresponding chapters of Yogi’s guide in
my pack, so when I need that extra information it is available.

Other Sources: Other sources I looked at included the Postholer.com free maps and Data Book. I think you could plan
and conduct your entire hike off these. But for me, I didn’t like the way they are laid out. So I made my own.
How to print this file

I created this file in the standard way with all pages in order they appear. But I found that printing them that way didn’t
create the most useful guidebook pages. So I’ve re‐ordered these pages in a sequence that supports an efficient guide
for carrying and using on the trail. To read and print this guide you need Adobe Acrobat Reader which I assume you
must have since you are reading this now.

Step 1: With the file open in Adobe, first select FILE‐>PRINT

Step 2: With the print menu up, select:
Under Pages to Print: Pages: 1‐2,
Under Page Sizes and Handling: Select “Multiple”, Page Order: Select “Horizontal”, Orientation select
“Landscape”. Optionally you can select to have an outline around each page, I don’t.

Step 3: Hit the print button on that menu.

Step 4: When that sheet prints, put it back into the printer so that the next print will be on the blank back. Generally, in
my experience, you take that sheet and keep it in its orientation it came out, and put it directly back into the paper tray.

Step 5: Repeat steps 1‐3. This should finish with a sheet of paper that has pages 1‐4 printed on it.

Step 6: Cut that sheet of paper down the center between the “pages”. This should create a half sheet with page 1&2 and
another half sheet with 3&4 on it.

Repeat steps until you have printed all pages. Now you should have a “databook” where each page has the next page on
the back. This way you can split the pages into mail drops corresponding with each hike section, and you only need to
have one page out at a time from your navigation documents instead of exposing the entire book to weather.

SGT Rock
2013-08-02, 01:01
A little insomnia led me to create this file for those that want to use Kersarge Pass Trail to get to Onion Valley to resupply in Independence. I plan to put together some custom databook pages with this that matches up to the map series.

SGT Rock
2013-08-02, 01:07
Custom databook 1-2 is lined up to work with map sections 1-2 file

Custom databook 3-4 is lined up to work with map sections 3-4 and includes Kersarge Pass Trail

Custom databook 5 is lined up to work with map section 5 and also includes the Kersarge Pass Trail

rhjanes
2013-08-02, 10:18
Thanks! Saved them off.

Hog On Ice
2014-01-27, 07:57
a blog entry about a JMT hike that I found recently: http://timecheck00.blogspot.com/2013/09/youre-backpacking-john-muir-trail-youre.html

Superman
2014-01-27, 08:29
a blog entry about a JMT hike that I found recently: http://timecheck00.blogspot.com/2013/09/youre-backpacking-john-muir-trail-youre.html

I enjoyed that. Isn't that odd....the 70s don't seem as old as they used to.

Mags
2014-01-27, 13:42
Looks similar to the BMT guide format. I thought it was simple, to the point and effective. This guide seems to be in the same vein. From a usability perspective, looks good.

SGT Rock
2014-01-27, 16:15
I'm hoping by summer 2015 I'll have enough vacation saved up for my son and I to do this together. I plan to give that blog a read tonight while I'm taking a break at work. With my promotion I at least have some access to the internet at work now.

lonehiker
2014-01-29, 17:57
Rock, have you looked at Erik the Blacks JMT guidebook?

SGT Rock
2014-01-30, 07:50
I've looked at the download.