PDA

View Full Version : Howdy to all :) Occasional lurker looking for another outlet in my need to be there!

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-15, 05:19
Be there living the woods experience through other people when I'm stuck in my cage and can't get out there.
Ever get soured or burn out in one venue and seek another? That's part of the reason I'm cracking open HikingHQ, another is a long term respect for the owner/developer here.
Probably lurk a lot, promise to contribute only when I can add something useful to the body of knowledge.

Superman
2013-08-15, 05:32
Body of knowledge?

Tin Man
2013-08-15, 06:15
Don't worry Supe. I'm sure no one told him where the bodies are hidden...

shadowmoss
2013-08-15, 06:28
Howdy, MM. Been awhile. As for the bodies, around here it is don't ask don't tell and you won't become on of them.

Skidsteer
2013-08-15, 06:44
Contributing when we have nothing useful to add is pretty much how most of us got here.

Austin
2013-08-15, 06:58
Me too.

Tin Man
2013-08-15, 07:12
Other sites don't get the fundamental notion that online exchange of information has little relevance or interest if there is a lack of social dialogue.

Ray
2013-08-15, 07:16
Welcome MM. I know what you mean about needing to find another place.

There's this guy in the news in downtown Atlanta (http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/report-baton-bob-says-atlanta-police-violated-his-/nZPKy/)who everybody knows because he's hard to miss. He does a street show, sort of, but doesn't busk. I mean he doesn't put out a hat or ask for change, he just puts on his act. And he's sometimes around the same area where I have juggling practice and he's stopped a couple times to watch us. Which, thinking about it now, was the first red flag.

So we've talked a couple times. I mean the group of us have talked with Bob a couple times. But one time I was out in the yard where we meet and I hear somebody yell "Hey, Ray!" and I turn around and it was Baton Bob! And I thought "Oh shit, he knows my name."

"I really need to find another group to hang out with..."

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-15, 07:30
Ha! Ok so some levity is allowed here! Can I say Happy Veterans Day when it comes around without the thread getting shut down? That would be a plus.
Oh, on those bodies...I've still got the shovel :)
Hey Ray! Good one for me this morning since I'm cage-bound and have been all night.

Roche
2013-08-15, 07:35
The good news is MM is no pack sniffer. The bad news is he tolerates the likes of me. Welcome to the best exchange of thought along the trail.

Skidsteer
2013-08-15, 07:40
Welcome MedicineMan.

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-15, 07:57
Coming from you Roche.....
though truth be known my nose has been betwinxt Poof's packs....
that's why we lag so far behind.

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-15, 08:02
Skid, thanks for the welcome.

Tin Man
2013-08-15, 08:07
Um, point of clarification, we do accept pack sniffers. In fact, some of us may even be pack sniffers. <cough cough>

Roche
2013-08-15, 08:08
though truth be known my nose has been betwinxt Poof's packs....
To clarify for our Australian friends - Poof is his sheila.

john pickett
2013-08-15, 08:09
"Can I say Happy Veterans Day when it comes around "
Many of us here are vets, including the owners. Dixie, I include you since you held down the home front while Sarge was out on the foreign front.

Tin Man
2013-08-15, 08:13

thanks. didn't know i was from australia...

dixicritter
2013-08-15, 08:25
Welcome to the funny farm MM. We rarely babysit here at HHQ. Rock and I operate under the notion the without free exchange between our members the forums get pretty boring. So understand that threads will drift WAY off topic, folks will joke around, and by all means say Happy birthday, Happy Veterans Day and the like whenever the occation suits.

Nice to see folks around the campfire!

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-15, 09:21
Hi D.C.! Still thankful for the bugsock you made me :)

Roche
2013-08-15, 10:02
thanks. didn't know i was from australia...
Just doing my part to follow bumper sticker instructions (typically found on Volvos) to celebrate diversity. Tomorrow I plan to celebrate uniformity.

Tin Man
2013-08-15, 10:27
Just doing my part to follow bumper sticker instructions (typically found on Volvos) to celebrate diversity. Tomorrow I plan to celebrate uniformity.

i don't wear a uniform usually, but when i do, it is a scout uniform

Lugnut
2013-08-15, 11:00
Thought you were a Brownie. :angel:

Ewker
2013-08-15, 11:14
glad to see you over here MM

MonkeyBoy
2013-08-15, 12:03
I'm learning not to eat the paste....

sheepdog
2013-08-15, 14:17
Other sites don't get the fundamental notion that online exchange of information has little relevance or interest if there is a lack of social dialogue.

damn......that's good.

Lugnut
2013-08-15, 15:35
Tin Man is apparently more intelligent than we have given him credit for. Or else he copied it from someone else! :ahhhhh:

Superman
2013-08-15, 15:43
i don't wear a uniform usually, but when i do, it is a maid's uniform

There....I fixed it for you.:angel:

Wonder
2013-08-15, 15:47
I thought that Poof meant something entirely different in Australia........learn something new every day! Welcome!

sheepdog
2013-08-15, 16:44
Tin Man is apparently more intelligent than we have given him credit for. Or else he copied it from someone else! :ahhhhh:

I'm gonna go with copied.

Superman
2013-08-15, 17:15
I'm gonna go with copied.

He did graduate from Penn State and he wasn't in the football program....so he could be smart.:ahhhhh:

sheepdog
2013-08-15, 17:24
He did graduate from Penn State and he wasn't in the football program....so he could be smart.:ahhhhh:

he hangs around with us; how smart can he be?

Superman
2013-08-15, 17:29

Oh good point.

Lugnut
2013-08-15, 18:12
This a blatant example of thread drift! :argh:

Tin Man
2013-08-15, 18:41
if i was smart, i wouldn't be hanging with fucktards, just sayin'

Tin Man
2013-08-15, 18:42

Oh good point.

yep...

Tin Man
2013-08-15, 18:43
...and I didn't copy... i had a brain fart and brilliance came out... go figure

Law Dawg (ret)
2013-08-15, 19:07
The good news is MM is no pack sniffer.

Some of us are panier/tank bag sniffers. Do that count? Australian friends...you got friends Roche? :flute:

Welcome MM. Veterans topic censorship (in the basement at HF) is the reason I came here and did not renew donor status. Considering recent events there not renewing was a wise choice. :burnout:

Roche
2013-08-15, 20:08
Some of us are panier/tank bag sniffers. Do that count? Australian friends...you got friends Roche? :flute:In the world of bikes, I not worthy :adore:- even panier / tank bag sniffers scare me..:ahhhhh:

If Aussies have beer then they have the friend they never wanted. :beer:

SGT Rock
2013-08-15, 22:39
You have Geo, but he is from NZ, not Australia, thought they are fairly close to each other.

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-15, 23:29
Agreed not renewing HF donating status....so where is HikingHQ's donating button? I still have a steak to pay for.

Superman
2013-08-15, 23:34
Agreed not renewing HF donating status....so where is HikingHQ's donating button? I still have a steak to pay for.

All donations can be sent to me. Bless your heart.

dixicritter
2013-08-16, 00:06

We don't take donations... too much trouble. LOL

Cuffs
2013-08-16, 00:25
All donations can be sent to me. Bless your heart.

You really do need to learn the proper use of that southern-ism. That ain't it.

Sargevining
2013-08-16, 00:43
So what is it about being alone in one's car that makes one want to pick one's nose?

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-16, 01:27
Why do you have to be alone? I don't limit myself in that regard!
Good to see Sargevining in the migration....and forgot to thank Roche
for the avenue of approach....I did get Sgt Rocks approval before posting-wanted every body to know that.

MonkeyBoy
2013-08-16, 01:36
Stop doing that.

He'll get a big head.

Tin Man
2013-08-16, 05:22

oh good, it's not just me

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 05:37
No permission required other than approving memberships. We had a bad rash of spammers a while back. In fact the site went down earlier this week from a Chinese spam attack. 25,000 Chinese tried to join the site in less than an hour.

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 05:39
Oh, and we generally accept donation in the form of adult beverages at various functions. Last year at the ultralight hang you already did that.

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-16, 06:42
Sgt.Rock, what you did for me and Wisenber after coming down NutBuster will never be forgot. Know that.

Superman
2013-08-16, 07:30

When I move down there I look forward to telling my neighbors how we used that term up where I came from.:biggrin:

Roche
2013-08-16, 08:05
We had a bad rash of spammers a while back.

Well that explains this:

free gay sexRegistered User 0 Never Served

Let the record show I wanted to see if Ftroop94 was here - he's not, yet.

Sargevining
2013-08-16, 09:05
Oh, and we generally accept donation in the form of adult beverages at various functions. Last year at the ultralight hang you already did that.

Well I just woke up and did a function before coffee, does that count?

Crikey
2013-08-16, 09:43
Well I just woke up and did a function before coffee, does that count?

You'll do well here.

dixicritter
2013-08-16, 10:14
Well that explains this:

free gay sexRegistered User 0 Never Served

Just approved his membership.

ftroop94
2013-08-16, 10:38

Sweet Monkey Sundae!!! Roche me mentioned me in a post. I no doubt have been libeled!!!

Acer
2013-08-16, 10:38
Acer here,,,nickname from Nam that I use on the trail and everywhere else. Thanks to MedicineMan for steering me here off HF. Wth,,Sgt. Rock,,,where have I been all these years not knowing about this forum??,,must have had my head in the sand. Big thanks for approving me,,and will contribute what I can whenever. May our paths cross sometime in the future!

Ewker
2013-08-16, 10:41
geesh all of the trouble makers from HF are coming here :hammock:

Acer
2013-08-16, 10:57
I am sure I will learn more from here than there..Hey Ewker! You got MM to blame!

Roche
2013-08-16, 11:37
geesh all of the trouble makers from HF are coming here :hammock:hangnout will raise the bar when he gets here.

Sargevining
2013-08-16, 11:48

Yep.

Along with the content we were paying for the privelege to provide.

Superman
2013-08-16, 12:12
Acer here,,,nickname from Nam that I use on the trail and everywhere else. Thanks to MedicineMan for steering me here off HF. Wth,,Sgt. Rock,,,where have I been all these years not knowing about this forum??,,must have had my head in the sand. Big thanks for approving me,,and will contribute what I can whenever. May our paths cross sometime in the future!

Did you leave the e off of that?:angel:

Law Dawg (ret)
2013-08-16, 12:44

So my understanding is "Bless their heart" is best used predominately as a Southern Baptist phrase applied after saying something degrading or any gossip. Example; "If she had as many sticking out of her as she has had stuck in her, she would look like a Porcupine...bless her heart". It has the power to turn any sin into sanctification. Wouldn't the proper use of "bless your heart" be the same only face to face?

Law Dawg (ret)
2013-08-16, 12:50

Look who's talking...bless your heart.

Ewker
2013-08-16, 12:52
Look who's talking...bless your heart.

says the newbie :aetsch:

Lugnut
2013-08-16, 13:04
I am sure I will learn more from here than there..

....but HOI will drive you crazy with knots! :albertein

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-16, 16:03
LawDawg, some folks just never got in line for a heart.
Cool Acer has landed...Subforum before long 'Those who smelled shit at HF re-unite'

Sargevining
2013-08-16, 16:55
LawDawg, some folks just never got in line for a heart.
Cool Acer has landed...Subforum before long 'Those who smelled shit at HF re-unite'

Speaking of which:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1071311&postcount=72

MM. Check your stats. I bet you've got lots more hits on your posts than I do. I ain't nuthin but a lil chicken.

shadowmoss
2013-08-16, 18:08
No fair posting links to pages I can't get to. Boo Hoo. I'm gonna report you. As soon as I find someone who might care. Get comfortable, could take awhile.

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 18:09
What is going on at HF? I don't go there a lot.

Roche
2013-08-16, 18:14
What is going on at HF? I don't go there a lot.Check out JustJeff's website for some of the details.

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 18:17
http://www.tothewoods.net/

LOL, I could have seen that coming. Welcome to the club.

Sargevining
2013-08-16, 18:34
No fair posting links to pages I can't get to. Boo Hoo. I'm gonna report you. As soon as I find someone who might care. Get comfortable, could take awhile.

Here 'tis:

Here's something for all you guys extolling the virtues of Capitalism to consider.

If you go to the Statistics section of my profile, you'll see the number of hits I've generated for this site on the posts I've originated.

There are 10,418 hits for the Second Annual Texas Butt Bake, 7,724 hits on the Zimmer Pack thread, 4,257 on a thread for another hike on the LST, 1,562 on my Cook Set thread, 8,700 on the Tell A Joke, Win a Ribz contest I ran at Christmas, 1,066 on the first Scout The Wonder Dog story, 3,427 on another LST planning thread. The average on the rest of them is about 150.

The only thing I'm going to get out of providing all that content is the ability to make another $10.00 PayPal payment sometime in the Spring.

I was born at night, it just wasn't last night.

If other people are willing to pay money to read what I've written, I should at least be able to read it for free.

You get a couple people to work for free, then you make people pay you for the privelege of providing all the content folks come there to read. Shit, I don't know what pisses me off more, the fact that I've been paying to have folks read stuff I write about cooksets and packs, or that I didn't think of the idea in the first place.

I like the arrangement here. If I understand from this morning, all I have to do is pee off the porch every morning before I have my coffee and Rock will let me post and read for free.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 18:42
Here 'tis:

You get a couple people to work for free, then you make people pay you for the privelege of providing all the content folks come there to read. Shit, I don't know what pisses me off more, the fact that I've been paying to have folks read stuff I write about cooksets and packs, or that I didn't think of the idea in the first place.

I like the arrangement here. If I understand from this morning, all I have to do is pee off the porch every morning before I have my coffee and Rock will let me post and read for free.

Correct me if I'm wrong.Pretty much right. And if you ever see me in person handing me something to drink is appreciated.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have lots I could say about my relationship with Troll over the years but I decided a long time ago that I feel better leaving it in the past and moving on. Other people that have worked with him on other projects have confided in me similar experiences.

Anyhow, I don't intend to be the anti-Whiteblaze or the anti-Hammock forums. If folks want to come here I'm cool with it. If they stay or not is up to them, but I would rather they do it for what they like about the site rather than what the site is not (ie. not Whiteblaze and not HammockForums). I just run my site how I want to and don't want to feel like I need to explain how or why I do it. So if I don't ask for donations, then no one feels cheated if I ever edit or delete a post. But you will hear from regulars that that rarely ever happens.

That said, most of my current regulars are the snarky type that first jumped ship from WhiteBlaze years ago. They can sometimes be hard to take until you get used to them LOL.

Lugnut
2013-08-16, 19:04
Well, everyone but Tin Man. We'll never get used to him! Oh, and that old curmudgeon from NH too. :bird:

Tin Man
2013-08-16, 19:05
Well, everyone but Tin Man. We'll never get used to him! Oh, and that old curmudgeon from NH too. :bird:

that's it!!!! i'm leaving!!! :motz:

i need a refill on my scotch

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 19:06
I've noticed HF is down. I thought it was up yesterday. I infer that it has something to do with this situation.

Superman
2013-08-16, 19:12

kermudgene....I don't even know the meaning of the word. Well, that and many others.

Tin Man
2013-08-16, 19:14
I've noticed HF is down. I thought it was up yesterday. I infer that it has something to do with this situation.

ruh roh. a friend and fellow scout leader is a member there. he studied most of what he knows about hanging and all the fun knots from there. i was going to spend some time there myself to learn how to do what he did with my new blackbird. damn. it's one hiking site where tin man has behaved and not been banned... well, is this a hiking site? :confused2

Tin Man
2013-08-16, 19:16
ruh roh. a friend and fellow scout leader is a member there. he studied most of what he knows about hanging and all the fun knots from there. i was going to spend some time there myself to learn how to do what he did with my new blackbird. damn. it's one hiking site where tin man has behaved and not been banned... well, is this a hiking site? :confused2

works now... and i'm still a member (free)

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 19:21
works now... and i'm still a member (free)

You mean HF is back up? I still can't get there. Packing truck for Whigg Meadow.

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 19:22
http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Scitech/shark%20eat%20shark.jpg

Cute.

Tin Man
2013-08-16, 19:23
You mean HF is back up? I still can't get there. Packing truck for Whigg Meadow.

yes, logged in just now.

Sarcasm The Elf
2013-08-16, 19:25
No permission required other than approving memberships. We had a bad rash of spammers a while back. In fact the site went down earlier this week from a Chinese spam attack. 25,000 Chinese tried to join the site in less than an hour.

I hadn't realized that backpacking was suddenly that popular in China.

Sarcasm The Elf
2013-08-16, 19:25
And yes, I believe that this site has far more lurkers than most people realize.

Lugnut
2013-08-16, 19:29
Does that include the NSA?

Tin Man
2013-08-16, 19:29
And yes, I believe that this site has far more lurkers than most people realize.

yep, i have been lurking for awhile...

hello, to the man from shelton. i am from new fairfield.

Sarcasm The Elf
2013-08-16, 19:34
Does that include the NSA?

Somewhere in a basement office there is a federal agent that is being forced to monitor this board as a punishment.

Sarcasm The Elf
2013-08-16, 19:34
yep, i have been lurking for awhile...

hello, to the man from shelton. i am from new fairfield.

I thought you were the Duke of Kent. Do I have you mixed up with someone else?

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 19:35
Somewhere in a basement office here is a federal agent that is being forced to monitor this board as a punishment.

Lol. I just pooped myself.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4

MonkeyBoy
2013-08-16, 19:40

Again?!?!?

Law Dawg (ret)
2013-08-16, 19:43
:toilet:

Great, now the poor cyber spook will have to write that up in some stupid report. A crack team of spook analysts will be assigned to break the code language...:toilet:

SGT Rock
Oddly I cannot get to hammockforums though my home network, but though my phone I can, unless it connects via my home wifi.

Tin Man
I thought you were the Duke of Kent. Do I have you mixed up with someone else?

I am tin man, black knight from CT.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 19:44
:toilet:

Great, now the poor cyber spook will have to write that up in some stupid report. A team of crack spook analysts will be assigned to break the code language...:toilet:

We call that a Brown 2 report in DoE.

dixicritter
2013-08-16, 19:55
OMG thread drift to poop again??? ~sigh~

LMAO!!!!

ftroop94
2013-08-16, 19:58
You know it is "National Tell A Joke Day".

I mean it is obviously a made up holiday and not Veterans Day, but I'm sure Roche can chime in any time with something humorous, off color and totally inappropriate.

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 20:02
Did Veterans day become totally verboten over there?

hangnout
2013-08-16, 20:04

Roche said all the trouble makers were here and he was right. I guess I will do some hangnout here. I bet on this forum I can say I went to church, thanked a veteran, and cleaned my guns without getting a nasty reminder we can not discuss these items.

I will bring some adult beverages the next time we meet on the trail

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 20:04
Bring your guns and God with you too.

Tin Man
2013-08-16, 20:10
Roche said all the trouble makers were here and he was right. I guess I will do some hangnout here. I bet on this forum I can say I went to church, thanked a veteran, and cleaned my guns without getting a nasty reminder we can not discuss these items.

I will bring some adult beverages the next time we meet on the trail

Who you calling trouble maker, friend.

Sarcasm The Elf
2013-08-16, 20:12

That almost sounds like you're describing things you can't do in Connecticut.

Tin Man
2013-08-16, 20:15
That almost sounds like you're describing things you can't do in Connecticut.

Not to worry. Governor one-term will be gone soon enough...

ftroop94
2013-08-16, 20:16
Roche said all the trouble makers were here...I guess I will do some hangnout here.

There goes the neighborhood folks!!!!

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 20:27
I do have a few basic rules:
1. No politics. Even I screw this up at times. But I apologize when I do and generally clean up the mess.

2. It's just the Internet, don't let another poster get to you.

3. It should all be in fun. Don't get too mean.

4. Everyone should be able to get a joke. See 3.

5. We wear big boy and big girl pants here. If your feelings get hurt don't expect me to make it all better.

6. It is an adult site. I don't edit "for the children".

7. If you don't like something, don't read it. It's easier for you to selectively read what interests you, than for us to try to edit to the majorities taste.

8. If you leave, our world will go on. I'm not out to be popular.

9. We edit to our sensibilities. It would be too hard to make a list as to what we will edit. Thankfully we rarely do. So don't over think it.

10. We don't always explain and rarely argue our edits. Let it go if it happens.

Tin Man
2013-08-16, 20:41
Thanks Rock. I will try to remember... I mean:

It's just posting....

Crikey
2013-08-16, 20:47

Do not, for God's sake, mention unleashed snoring pistachio shell spitting dogs or you're in for trouble.

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 20:49
We love dogs. Especially with hot sauce.

Tin Man
2013-08-16, 20:52
We love dogs. Especially with hot sauce.

Would you guys go to the thing already! Sheesh.

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 20:53
I'm packing. Looks like I won't make it up there tonight. I'll drive up in the morning.

ftroop94
2013-08-16, 21:01
...and for some actual hammock chit-chat...

I'm still devastated about the hole hangnout and I noticed in the sub-7 oz 1.0 digital camo hammock Gredemeer made for me! I put Tear-Aid on it when I got home from Bear Island, but I don't know if she'll ever see the woods again?!?

Spammy was supposed to send Grapenut some excess material he had, but the new job (or the hangover) caused him to forget. I ordered some 1.1 MARPAT and good ole Grapenut made me two hammocks an shipped 'em out today! I can't wait to get them.

Now if he (Grapenut) shows up here talk about the neighborhood going south! A retired O-6 and armed well enough to handle a zombie invasion all alone!

I shall report on the hammocks as the arrive...

dixicritter
2013-08-16, 21:01
Would you guys go to the thing already! Sheesh.

And I've backed out... Or should I say pulled a Tin Man? :wink:

southmark
2013-08-16, 21:03
Um, point of clarification, we do accept pack sniffers. In fact, some of us may even be pack sniffers. <cough cough>

I quit sniffing mine… cat pissed on it!

Sarcasm The Elf
2013-08-16, 21:04
Do not, for God's sake, mention unleashed snoring pistachio shell spitting dogs or you're in for trouble.

Oh boy, if that's a rule then i might have to go back to lurking.:biggrin:

Tin Man
2013-08-16, 21:20
And I've backed out... Or should I say pulled a Tin Man? :wink:

damn... now i AM glad i couldn;t make it... ;)

Tin Man
2013-08-16, 21:26
I quit sniffing mine… cat pissed on it!

i used to go out and sniff packs coming thru kent, but when i got tired of the entitled thrus, i started pissing on their's... i don't think they noticed...

anyway, i have met some cool thru's here and there... and some amusing ones too... laughed my ass off at one who cursed every minute doing the moohusuc notch last year, which i thought was a blast.

Grapenut
2013-08-16, 22:23
Truth in lending...I can hover a helicopter better than I can sew... and I believe perfectly straight stiches are overrated; however, if you have any failures due to the quality of my stitching then I will gladly sew you another hammock free of charge!

G-Nut

I'm still devastated about the hole hangnout and I noticed in the sub-7 oz 1.0 digital camo hammock Gredemeer made for me! I put Tear-Aid on it when I got home from Bear Island, but I don't know if she'll ever see the woods again?!?

Spammy was supposed to send Grapenut some excess material he had, but the new job (or the hangover) caused him to forget. I ordered some 1.1 MARPAT and good ole Grapenut made me two hammocks an shipped 'em out today! I can't wait to get them.

Now if he (Grapenut) shows up here talk about the neighborhood going south! A retired O-6 and armed well enough to handle a zombie invasion all alone!

I shall report on the hammocks as the arrive...

SGT Rock
2013-08-16, 22:30
... and I believe perfectly straight stiches are overrated
G-Nut
I agree.

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-16, 23:00
Had a thought today on the drive into the cage....in a sense a bunch of refugees have appeared at Sgt Rock and DixieCritters door, we knocked and the door opened. Sentimental eh :)

Now on to a hammocking topic/comment. I have yet to weigh the integral hammock/underquilt FIMB made for me and that is something I should be curious about...I'm still trying to get over the wonderful utility of it.

john pickett
2013-08-16, 23:14
"most of my current regulars are the snarky type that first jumped ship from WhiteBlaze years ago"
Well, I think I joined either Whiteblaze Or Hammock Forums years ago, but this site met all my needs and I lost interest in the other sites.
Point is I was a member here first; but my daughter tells me I'm snarky anyhow.

Tin Man
2013-08-16, 23:15
Had a thought today on the drive into the cage....in a sense a bunch of refugees have appeared at Sgt Rock and DixieCritters door, we knocked and the door opened. Sentimental eh :)

Now on to a hammocking topic/comment. I have yet to weigh the integral hammock/underquilt FIMB made for me and that is something I should be curious about...I'm still trying to get over the wonderful utility of it.

I have been sleeping in a hammock for a few years and gave no idea what you are talking about.... Guess I missed out on HF.

john pickett
2013-08-16, 23:20
"We call that a Brown 2 report in DoE"
At the hospital I worked at (open heart) we called it Code Brown.

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-16, 23:21
Tin Man, for years I'd attach an underquilt to the hammock....I'd do that at home, then pack up. When I'd get home I'd take it off and hang the underquilt up to air out. Same with the hammock. A lot of hangers would put the underquilt on the hammock when setting up camp. FIMB built an underquilt onto a Warbonnet Traveler for me; saves time setting up and saves weight on the underquilt suspension. Win Win.
When I looked at 14 years of hanging in the woods---and we go basically every other week---I saw I always use an underquilt and most always at least one rated to 40F.......so its integral now.

ftroop94
2013-08-16, 23:30
Tin Man, for years I'd attach an underquilt to the hammock....I'd do that at home, then pack up. When I'd get home I'd take it off and hang the underquilt up to air out. Same with the hammock. A lot of hangers would put the underquilt on the hammock when setting up camp. FIMB built an underquilt onto a Warbonnet Traveler for me; saves time setting up and saves weight on the underquilt suspension. Win Win.
When I looked at 14 years of hanging in the woods---and we go basically every other week---I saw I always use an underquilt and most always at least one rated to 40F.......so its integral now.

MM,

Pics/Vids...Anything???

Did you see a shot of the 'last official' Leighlo? Kind of an inverted version your your Black Widow. M50 on the exterior and 10D on the interior.

...oh, and that's the 4 1/2 year old hanging next to me!

Sargevining
2013-08-17, 00:09

After bravely conquering the mysteries of the thread injector, then using this newfound skill and knowledge to the best of my abilities to make a pair of down boots from the sleeves of a down jacket, thence to mounting a frontal assault on a real live hammock, I moved on to slay the 3 layer Insultex Underquilt and while doing that I thought that one layer of this crap might work well in a double layer for Texas Springs and Falls. The hammock I made is a 12 footer out of that 64" (or is it 68") 1.1 MarPat that DIY Gear supply sells. I figure if I put one layer of IX 60" wide by 72" long a bit off center in a 12 foot double layer it should do the trick.

We get weird weather down here. Last month we had a Hang that saw days over 90* with night time temps on the upper 60's to low 70's. Times like that, you don't need much under you, and I feel kinda stupid stuffing something that will get me down to 40* into the pack. I figure if I've got a one layer Spring/Fall insulated hammock, I can add they 3 layer IX quilt to it in real winter and get down to just about anything I'll encounter in TX.

What did FIMB use as his insulating layer?

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-17, 00:10
Ftroop that is a NICE looking underquilt! and that is the last Leighlo...shame in a way, but hey I got her first :)
There is a youtube on the integral....we debut it in the MIddle Prong last weekend, should be first in my lineup at youtube.

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-17, 00:12
yeah SargeV you are in a different world.
FIMB's integral is momentum 50 outer,there is no inner. It is down (the waterproof kind) against the outer layer of the Traveler.
Went with double layer Traveler to trap the ccf pad.....so in theory with pad I can get to the mid 20s.....that for my reality will be mid 30s.

Sargevining
2013-08-17, 00:32
Nothing has exposed the reality of just how different things are here in TX than being on sites like this one, HF, WB, etc. The first thing I notice is that there seems to be more "serious" backpackers on the coasts, and it seems like the per capita density is greater. We also have nothing like the AT down here, but Lord knows we've got the room for it. The longest hiking only trail we have is 92 miles long. There's a hike/bike/equestrian trail of about 250 miles being developed, but the guy who first reviewed it was talking about the great Bed and Breakfasts he encountered on it.

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-17, 01:01
Sounds like the reviewer would love the trails in Europe then with all there B&Bs.....of all the trails you might have the most dangerous in Texas...thinking al queda et.al. crossing the border; but maybe that's not in Texas? You certainly have the heat which i bet kills more than bears ever have.

Sargevining
2013-08-17, 01:15
Yep its the heat. Hiking when the heat index is over 100* can be downright dangerous. You can use some strategies like scheduling the hikes for full moon weekends, waking up at 0 dark thirty, hike until about 1400 then siesta until about 1700, eat supper, and move on to camp at around 20-2100, but that's about it and even that is pretty dang futile in August.

Bears aren't a problem at all down here, I doubt if there's a single one in the state. We do get the occasional panther report every now and then, but never any attacking people. Snakes and hogs are probably the biggest problems. I had a copperhead on my patio the other day. We don't worry about al Queda much. The chupacabras get 'em crossing the border.

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-17, 01:36
copperheads in texas...never would have thought. Spent 4 days in guadalupe n.p. after almost a week in Big Bend and remember Lion signs everywhere but never a clue to their actually being there. Hogs we got in the Smokies. I consider it more serious than bear and wasn't long ago on a hike that we spooked 4 hogs. they ran through the laurel thickets the other way-a good thing (goldmine loop if Roche reads this).

Roche
2013-08-17, 01:50
I just returned from the Smokies - Scout night at the ball park; walk off 2 run homer then fireworks show. I've only seen hogs on the NC side. Wisenber and I came across at least 10 of the filthy beasts on Little Cataloochee Tr in late June. Fortunately they were off to the side and had room to grunt away - nasty sounding grunting at that.

Roche
2013-08-17, 01:56
Did Veterans day become totally verboten over there?

http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?6743-Happy-Veterans-Day&highlight=

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-17, 01:57
Have never heard of them being in Citico/Slick Rock/Middle Prong/etc. but you know they just have to be--what's to stop them. I remember bitching about horse damage in the Park with Poof and she pointed out that it wasn't horse damage....

So the NC side is the southern side?

Sargevining
2013-08-17, 01:57
Well, I say copperhead, but down here every brown snake is a copperhead, till you kill and can see it up close. Last winter I got out of the truck to open the gate and looked out across the cornfields and saw what I thought were somebody's horses running loose. Got the binoculars and saw that they were hogs. Big frikkin hogs.

Roche
2013-08-17, 02:02
I'm starting with # 7 . If you don't like something, don't read it. It's easier for you to selectively read what interests you, than for us to try to edit to the majorities taste.

So the rest of this crap doesn't apply to me. :aetsch:

I do have a few basic rules:
1. No politics. Even I screw this up at times. But I apologize when I do and generally clean up the mess.

2. It's just the Internet, don't let another poster get to you.

3. It should all be in fun. Don't get too mean.

4. Everyone should be able to get a joke. See 3.

5. We wear big boy and big girl pants here. If your feelings get hurt don't expect me to make it all better.

6. It is an adult site. I don't edit "for the children".

7. If you don't like something, don't read it. It's easier for you to selectively read what interests you, than for us to try to edit to the majorities taste.

8. If you leave, our world will go on. I'm not out to be popular.

9. We edit to our sensibilities. It would be too hard to make a list as to what we will edit. Thankfully we rarely do. So don't over think it.

10. We don't always explain and rarely argue our edits. Let it go if it happens.

Sargevining
2013-08-17, 02:05
I like the part where I pee off the porch and get to post. Its not in here yet, but its gonna be.

Roche
2013-08-17, 02:06
Dix

Please do some modding and tell this noob to STAY OFF TOPIC!

Notice how all the funny guys left the thread. :boring:

Roche
2013-08-17, 02:11
So the NC side is the southern side?

Is this a trick question? You know I'm one of those G.D. yankees.

Roche
2013-08-17, 02:14
I like the part where I pee off the porch and get to post. Its not in here yet, but its gonna be.I second that.

Sargevining
2013-08-17, 02:27
Whelp. Its after midnight here and I just went and peed off the porch. That means I can sleep late tomorrow, right?

Tin Man
2013-08-17, 02:39
Whelp. Its after midnight here and I just went and peed off the porch. That means I can sleep late tomorrow, right?

Yes, but you lose points if you don't post first...

Sargevining
2013-08-17, 02:50
Wait. I thought it was pee, coffee, post. That's what I did this morning.

Tin Man
2013-08-17, 03:02
Wait. I thought it was pee, coffee, post. That's what I did this morning.

That works, but if you post first it shows you are more committed (or should be committed) and, therefore, is worth more points.

shadowmoss
2013-08-17, 05:03
Dang, all this talk about real hammocks. I might have to get mine out and start playing with it again. I just sent my Uncle in MO some of the pictures of TurtleDog stands. He has a wood shop in his garage, all my tools and such are in MO and I'm in Phoenix. Hopefully I'll have a stand waiting for me when I go back next month to get my stuff. Then I can sleep in my BB again instead of on the air mattress.

ftroop94
2013-08-17, 08:29
Dix

Please do some modding and tell this noob to STAY OFF TOPIC!

Notice how all the funny guys left the thread. :boring:

Ah yes off topic!

Something along the lines of your wife wearing another man's pants on a group hang?:biggrin:

Roche
2013-08-17, 09:04
Exactly! At least they weren't your pants but then again, you said they were men's pants. :aetsch:

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-17, 09:13
No love to Ftroop, doesn't he deserve more....Heck he cant even fit into last years pants without berating.

ftroop94
2013-08-17, 09:26
Oddly enough, I gave my old ones to Gredemeer last fall as we left BSF, and had to scour the interwebs for the last pair of medium Montbell downy goodness in the country!:argh:

I remember calling the Montbell rep and he said; "get 'em if you can find 'me or it will be next fall"!

SGT Rock
2013-08-17, 10:51
Rule 11: Thread drift happens. Deal with it.

Sargevining
2013-08-17, 10:53

Oh goodie.

That means #12 is about peeing off the porch.

SGT Rock
2013-08-17, 10:56
FWIW. I like the new traffic and glad y'all came here. But I would highly encourage the brain trust of the HF Admins to start a new website on their own with a mission statement ahead of time that they all agree to, and a donation system that has a defined set of spending priorities that do not include financing someone's personal account. Or if they do decided to compensate moderators - just say so up front.

Ewker
2013-08-17, 11:05
I asked one of the mods if they were going to start their own website. He said it had been discussed but nothing serious right now

john pickett
2013-08-17, 11:12
Like I said earlier (or maybe in a different thread) HHQ satisfies all (mostly) of my needs. I wish HF all the best and won't be going there.

shadowmoss
2013-08-17, 11:12
Rock, this site here is one of the original hammock sites. Besides, I'm nice and comfy here. I'd have to break in all new moderators at a different site. Can't we just put another bean in the pot and have a go at it?

dixicritter
2013-08-17, 11:35
If y'all want to post here it is perfectly fine with us. So feel free to post away and enjoy the site.

We know that HF fit a specific niche that most other hiking sites didn't. I think that's what Rock meant by encouraging the start of another hammock forum website.

SGT Rock
2013-08-17, 11:48
I'm more than happy to let y'all talk hammocks here. I'll even add some new forums if we need it. I just think that the culture/atmosphere here is one that the majority (or large minority) of hikers wouldn't like LOL.

Sargevining
2013-08-17, 11:51
FWIW. I like the new traffic and glad y'all came here. But I would highly encourage the brain trust of the HF Admins to start a new website on their own with a mission statement ahead of time that they all agree to, and a donation system that has a defined set of spending priorities that do not include financing someone's personal account. Or if they do decided to compensate moderators - just say so up front.

I honestly thought that there was some kind of profit being made and that it was being divvied up at the end of the year between the site owner and the mods. I was cool with that, its how I'd like to think I'd have done it. Then I found out that profit is 40% of income and it only goes to one guy. I am a huge Capitalist Pig, but 40% doesn't feel right when most of the labor and all of the content is donated (and apparently everything that isn't labor is pretty dang cheap as the site keep going down). There's a lot of fan boys over there right now extolling the virtues of what they get from the site, but most of what they're getting has been, for all intents and purposes, taken from somebody else in order to make a profit for one guy and they are all OK with that.

I'm surprised the server isn't in Illinois. The whole state operates on that principle.

Sargevining
2013-08-17, 11:56
The other side of the coin would be that it was the mods who instituted the policies that I most disliked about HF (but was willing to overlook until the SHTF), and that was the crap about Veterans Day and banning gun related threads. Both of those rewarded bad behavior. Folks would post and others who didn't like the subject matter would come in and make a shipot full of trouble. They got what they wanted when the subjects were rendered verboten because they generated "bad feelings".

BTW, I shot that snake the other day with the .410 barrel of the M6 Scout that I sometimes carry on hammock hiking trips out to the old dynamite sheds at the end of the road I live on.

Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Guns. Guns. Guns.

Dang that felt good.

dixicritter
2013-08-17, 12:04
I'm more than happy to let y'all talk hammocks here. I'll even add some new forums if we need it. I just think that the culture/atmosphere here is one that the majority (or large minority) of hikers wouldn't like LOL.

From what I'm seeing so far I don't think these folks are gonna have an issue with the atmosphere around here...LMAO!!!

Law Dawg (ret)
2013-08-17, 12:13
The other side of the coin would be that it was the mods who instituted the policies that I most disliked about HF (but was willing to overlook until the SHTF), and that was the crap about Veterans Day and banning gun related threads. Both of those rewarded bad behavior. Folks would post and others who didn't like the subject matter would come in and make a shipot full of trouble. They got what they wanted when the subjects were rendered verboten because they generated "bad feelings".

It's going to be the wild west over there with a mod vacuum...oh well. HF serves a purpose for me to learn (and help learn) the how to of it. It also is a great place to research and shop for hammock related stuff. For anything beyond that cyber campfires like this one exist.

Just another bitter clinger here; hanging on to my God and guns with a toothy ear to ear bitter grin. ;)

Sargevining
2013-08-17, 12:16
It's going to be the wild west over there with a mod vacuum...oh well. HF serves a purpose for me to learn (and help learn) the how to of it. It also is a great place to research and shop for hammock related stuff. For anything beyond that cyber campfires like this one exist.

Just another bitter clinger here; hanging on to my God and guns with a toothy ear to ear bitter grin. ;)

Yah. But sometime in the Spring I'm going to open the site and find that all the Donating Member threads are no longer available to me. When that happens I shall harvest my tears and shampoo one of the hairs on my nutsack.

Bearpaw
2013-08-17, 15:11
Medicine Man, Ftroop, Roche, and others that I know from having met, welcome aboard. It's good to have to you. I've sure you've probably figured it out, but the regulars here have nearly all met each other IRL and we click together well, mostly because none of us is right in the head. Don't fret if you don't get the inside jokes. And have fun. It's allowed here.

Lugnut
2013-08-17, 15:18
At times many here need adult supervision. Unfortunately none of us qualify. :angel:

dixicritter
2013-08-17, 17:18
Heyyy! I resemble that remark! :p

Roche
2013-08-17, 17:33
Rock, this site here is one of the original hammock sites.

The Hammock Camping Forum here goes back to JAN 2003. :congrats:

It's interesting to read how it has evolved over the years. :albertein

Lugnut
2013-08-17, 18:06
Heyyy! I resemble that remark! :p

Well, you're the one exception but I doubt you want that much responsibility. :angel:

Tin Man
2013-08-17, 18:46
Well, you're the one exception but I doubt you want that much responsibility. :angel:

Actually, she gets touchy when you ask her to be an adult.

dixicritter
2013-08-17, 19:01

Don't you know it! LOL!!!

Lugnut
2013-08-17, 19:17

Yeah. She's already supervising three males with questionable behavior and a couple Weiner dogs too. The dogs -that's what will drive her over the edge! :aetsch:

Tin Man
2013-08-17, 19:45
Don't you know it! LOL!!!

Sorry. There should be a too drunk to post button or something....

sheepdog
2013-08-18, 01:19

I believe it was created. :angel:

Superman
2013-08-18, 03:22

Oh god....Now that's funny right there.

Roche
2013-08-18, 09:08
I,m not as think as drunk i am you. And who pee on the couch and how did I get a HHQ tattoo on my forehead - damn hippies.

shadowmoss
2013-08-18, 09:42
hippies get a pass on this site. just sayin'

Superman
2013-08-18, 10:06

BS they do.

dixicritter
2013-08-18, 10:57

BS they do.

Hippies are celebrated... God bless them hippies!!!

Superman
2013-08-18, 10:59
Hippies are celebrated... God bless them hippies!!!

When they make more over time and promotions for the leos.:angel:

Tin Man
2013-08-18, 11:00
What happened to make it a good day, kick a hippie?

Superman
2013-08-18, 11:12
What happened to make it a good day, kick a hippie?

There is always that.:angel:

SGT Rock
2013-08-18, 15:44

That is only on this software package. I had a forum for hammocks since about 2000 or so.

hangnout
2013-08-18, 17:26
That is only on this software package. I had a forum for hammocks since about 2000 or so.

That's what I thought. I bought a hammock a little before that and remember looking at your site for information.

Acer
2013-08-18, 21:59

Just got back from a smallish hike n hang,,as that is about all we can do in this state..no trails worth a dang to begin with, and most of the hangers I find in this state are wanabees with nowhere to go and don't have enough sense to get out of Indiana and head to the mountains (not that I would want to run into many from Indiana when I am down south either).:lol: But,,,glad to see Sgt. Rock,,you got the rules out of the way for a nube such that I am. :adore:

Oh goodie.

That means #12 is about peeing off the porch.

I pee of my porch any time I want as I live on a large hill that is all woods, and have no neighbors, so piss :biggrin: away any time the heart desires!

I asked one of the mods if they were going to start their own website. He said it had been discussed but nothing serious right now

Have them migrate over here, no sense is wasting time to build a website as this one pretty much "Rocks". :biggrin:

Will be on from time to time,,and post when the occasion calls for it.

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-18, 23:04
It is my work week, 3 more nights counting this one...so Wednesday night I'm going to drink some
blackberry moonshine (pay homage to Popcorn Sutton) and piss off the porch....while I'm streaming
I'll be thinking of all you in the Headquarters.

Tin Man
2013-08-19, 00:29
damn you guys, i have been walking out behind the trees to piss all these years when i have a perfectly good porch to piss off of. thanks for the tip

Sargevining
2013-08-19, 00:44
Its good for the gardenias, too!

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-19, 01:03
SargeV, just noticed the tribute to Breitbart. Nice. I say they hit him in the leg with a bit o'cyanide :( Probably from an ankle gun while sitting in a bistro....

Sargevining
2013-08-19, 14:49
Nah, it was a plutonium tipped dart from a spring loaded umbrella gun. And it was the Mob that did it. Early planning by the Christie campaign.

You heard it here first.

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-19, 16:18
Now how many forums can you talk about political murder intrigue, packing heat in your Warbonnet, and pissing off the deck in the same
thread and not get the thumb of brother squashing you down?

Crikey
2013-08-19, 17:01
Now how many forums can you talk about political murder intrigue, packing heat in your Warbonnet, and pissing off the deck in the same
thread and not get the thumb of brother squashing you down?

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/fd/1d/fd1dcc8b70ed166b91a65489b56ad4b9.jpg?itok=xGokbcCV

SGT Rock
2013-08-19, 17:11
Big who?

Hog On Ice
2013-08-19, 17:36
The Big Lebowski

Skidsteer
2013-08-19, 18:14
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion man.

Elder
2013-08-19, 19:42
Oh, Wow.

Sarcasm The Elf
2013-08-19, 21:14
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion man.

This aggression will not stand, man.

Skidsteer
2013-08-19, 21:16
:biggrin:

ftroop94
2013-08-19, 21:25
Truth in lending...I can hover a helicopter better than I can sew... and I believe perfectly straight stiches are overrated; however, if you have any failures due to the quality of my stitching then I will gladly sew you another hammock free of charge!

G-Nut

Hover my ass! Those stitches were straight enough to make me think he's spent a secret life as a 9 year old Chinese orphan working in a sweat mill.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/20/ejy8ubu6.jpg

Tin Man
2013-08-19, 21:27
This aggression will not stand, man.

what aggression?

and, yes, it will stand

SGT Rock
2013-08-19, 21:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od_6M8cFdUA

JAK
2013-08-20, 08:01
situation normal

Austin
2013-08-21, 03:51
It's like Deja-Vu all over again...

Sargevining
2013-08-21, 09:20

Crikey
2013-08-21, 09:29

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/blackcat.jpg

john pickett
2013-08-21, 10:27
Deja-Who?

Ray
2013-08-21, 10:41
Deja-Who?Deja Vu. Used to play for Santana. I saw him open for Aerosmith.

MonkeyBoy
2013-08-21, 12:49
It's just a glitch in the Matrix...

dzierzak
2013-08-22, 08:02
Not Dejah Thoris?

Tin Man
2013-08-22, 08:21
It's just a glitch in the Matrix...

no, it's a sign that agents have changed something... just sayin'

D'Artagnan
2013-08-22, 10:48
Well there is a certain green glow in here (much like the Matrix).