PDA

View Full Version : Which hammock

Colt
2013-08-17, 05:26
What's the ultimate hammock set up ? For under 200.00 bucks.

shadowmoss
2013-08-17, 07:31
Make your own from a nylon tablecloth from http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/tablecloths-Table-Linens-Chair-Covers-Sashes-s/132.htm and make a gathered end hammock. Use some taffeta from the same place and make a bug net. Use soft shackles and/or UCR's or Whoopie slings for suspension. I'll let the newly imported folks take it from here.

Sargevining
2013-08-17, 10:22
Yah. I'm on the DIY train.

Hammock from 12'-0 x 64" blank of 1.1 MarPat from DIY Gear Supply with Dyneema continuous loops and cinch buckles, cost about $40

Hug net from netting I got of a tent somebody was throwing away, cost $0.58 for the cord locks and maybe a dollars worth of gros grain.

Three layer IX quilt with 1.1 nylon cover: abut $65

Haven't made the tarp yet, but if you add the used Toxaway I'm using now, I'm just a shade over $200.

SGT Rock
2013-08-17, 10:52
Make it yourself. Absolutely. Open top hammock, HUG, a tarp, and UCR suspension.

Roche
2013-08-17, 11:05
Many ways to skin this cat. DIY is a great way to keep the cost low. You can always check out different rigs at group hang and tents are welcomed. Most likely there will be a hang in mid-NOV at Big South Fork.

Then there is the insulation - pads, under quilts, top quilts (sleeping bags work fine). Next your looking to upgrade your tarp. Spending $200 a year modifying / improving / lighting your set-up is a fair estimate* for a few years.

*Not applicable to MedicineMan

Sargevining
2013-08-17, 12:13
Buying used is also a good way. Dang near everything I have was bought from another hammocker. I think the only new hammock things I have are a Buginator and a Potomac I bought last year, and a Hug I got so I could scope out how its made so I could make three more for the son and grandkids. Even the hammock and tarp I bought new was from the Hennessey Scratch and Dent sale.

Law Dawg (ret)
2013-08-17, 12:19
What's the ultimate hammock set up ? For under 200.00 bucks.

Are you talking about insulation (top and under quilt) too?

ftroop94
2013-08-17, 14:53
If you don't sew...befriend people that do!!! Brewskis help initiate that...

SleepsWithSkunks
2013-08-17, 14:59
If you don't sew...befriend people that do!!! Brewskis help initiate that...

What's your inseam?

sws

ftroop94
2013-08-17, 15:01
You can always check out different rigs at group hang and tents are welcomed.

There's a Roche in every crowd!:boring:

Superman
2013-08-17, 15:16
what's your inseam?

Sws

lmao

ftroop94
2013-08-17, 15:34
What's your inseam?

sws

30" for the legs...47" for the tripod!

Roche
2013-08-17, 15:53
There's a Roche in every crowd!:boring:
After four years I'm just a one liner sniffer against these Henny Youngmans.

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-17, 23:17
Jerry Lewis + Dean Martin = Roche + Wisenber

forgot to answer the question.
I'm the click on the PayPal button type.
A WB Traveler for summer and one for winter.

Reminds me though, Sgt.Rock once roched me into a Nano-7 purchase...it dropped me on the ground 2 hours into sleep after a long hard day of hill climbing. I was gram greedie and wanted to shed some weight. Paid the price with a thump on the ground.

Colt
2013-08-17, 23:27
THANK YOU for all the info and suggestions, think I persuade the wife to spring for one.

Crikey
2013-08-18, 00:35
How about - how much does the typical setup weigh?

Colt
2013-08-18, 00:45
How about - how much does the typical setup weigh?

Around 3 lbs from what I have seen. Sure that could be shaved down some.

dixicritter
2013-08-18, 01:12
Around 3 lbs from what I have seen. Sure that could be shaved down some.

You'd be surprised.

MedicineMan4040
2013-08-18, 02:07
If your rig gets a ghosting it might be a pound and a half for everything, even into some lower temps.
I've just decided due to age and the sound of creaking to enjoy a bit of comfort versus the weight...nothing
extreme but I am carrying a REI Flexlite chair these days and FREEKING LOVE IT. We're even baking on almost every
trip now too. Who am I trying to impress with big miles anymore?

ftroop94
2013-08-18, 09:35
I believe the weight topic is all relative to the user. When I'm alone I can be a bit of a gram weenie and I have a rig that comes in under 30 oz and can take me to 30 degrees...but it didn't come cheap.

When I take my 4 1/2 and 6 year olds out with me I ruck weights comparable to a 19 year old boot. Thing is, I want them to love the outdoors I've enjoyed my entire life and one old night in the air could ruin that. They each have those little HH Cubs that weigh in over 2 lbs each. However, they are indestructible. Add on an UQ and a synthetic bag for each and I'm easily over 50 lbs total in that old Kelty external. And of course they must have Pringles and S'mores on the trail.

At the end of the day I'm happy to get 6-8 miles out with them at those weight...and they both just received 'real' packs to take a little load from the old man.

At the end of the discussion you should decide 'what is the most comfortable rest for me'. That's more important than weight or cost. Yes cost is an issue for some (I don't golf). Unfortunately, if you get bit your tastes will change and you'll continue to collect 2,3-28 hammocks in your gear stash!

...and NO Roche, I'm not bringing that Kelty next time you we meet. It'll be my gram weenie cuben pack!

Roche
2013-08-18, 09:47
...and NO Roche, I'm not bringing that Kelty next time you we me. It'll be my gram weenie cuben pack!

Externals reduce sweaty back syndrome which reduces sweaty ball syndrome which reduces the need for Desitin.

ftroop94
2013-08-18, 09:59
Externals reduce sweaty back syndrome which reduces sweaty ball syndrome which reduces the need for Desitin.

I was with you for ages and ages until they started integrating mesh ventilation systems into some of the internals. So I drank the Kool-Aid. The fact is I can look at a pack, any pack, and start sweating like a whore on the first pew.

Now so far as Destin...there's no chance in Hades you'll see me in swim trunks with integrated mesh. Talk about sweating and chaffing. There's nothing like good ole made in the USA Birdwell Beach Britches!

Roche
2013-08-18, 10:11
There's nothing like good ole made in the USA Birdwell Beach Britches.
I had to Google that - no wonder I wasn't familiar with them, I'm older than the company. A much better look than traditional Speedos.

ftroop94
2013-08-18, 10:37
I had to Google that - no wonder I wasn't familiar with them, I'm older than the company. A much better look than traditional Speedos.

Ah, but did you notice to whom my new signature quote is attributed to? Eerie...but certainly no relation as he was filled with pure genius!

I was able to name my son after him. Totally slid it by the powers that be. Ill not forget the day we returned for my 15th reunion and she started noticing Preston Library, Preston Avenue, Preston this and that. Thats what she got for not letting me name him after General Bragg.

Roche
2013-08-18, 11:02
As I'm in UL mode, I had to log out to read it. Too many words, obviously a windbag family trait. The minimums tag line was good, less is more.

Crikey
2013-08-19, 08:56
There's nothing like good ole made in the USA Birdwell Beach Britches!

Wow, Birdwell. That's a blast from my surfing past.

Sargevining
2013-08-19, 09:38
Poo on Ultra Light. Its become a race. Nobody knows why anymore, they just know they're not as light as the other guy cuz he keeps telling them. Its better to know when and why to go light and how light to go.

Sometimes I miss the days of oiled canvas, wool, Army Surplus C Rations, and cans of Spam.

Ok. Maybe not the C Rations, but you get the point.

shadowmoss
2013-08-19, 10:22
Gee, Grandpa, tell us some more stories from back in the day. :)

Crikey
2013-08-19, 10:43
Poo on Ultra Light. Its become a race. Nobody knows why anymore, they just know they're not as light as the other guy cuz he keeps telling them. Its better to know when and why to go light and how light to go.

Do not go into the light....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYk56jemsbU&feature=player_detailpage

ftroop94
2013-08-19, 10:45

Taste-wise, C Rats outshine MRE's any day...

Colt
2013-08-19, 11:45

Ole skool for sure

Crikey
2013-08-19, 12:16
Ole skool for sure

That, and this:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREZkLNv3CFgJgjGQAjGN6Rha2dlqSOn Kbn2oShOCOcsK-uMD3rtDcPprbZ

ftroop94
2013-08-19, 12:35

They are much pricier these days, but think of all the $$$ you'll save not having to buy Gold Bond...

http://www.bbbritches.us/

Law Dawg (ret)
2013-08-19, 12:54
Sometimes I miss the days of oiled canvas, wool, Army Surplus C Rations, and cans of Spam.

Trail food during the 60/70s here. The spaghetti and Vienna sausages were pretty good. Oh and LSMFT...sort that out you young whipper snappers. :bandit:

Crikey
2013-08-19, 12:59
Oh and LSMFT...sort that out you young whipper snappers. :bandit:

http://matchstic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/lucky_strike.jpg

Crikey
2013-08-19, 13:00
I live near Durham, so I see it when I go to a Durham Bulls game.

http://www.americantobaccohistoricdistrict.com/

Law Dawg (ret)
2013-08-19, 13:13
Yeah, back when part of a man's balanced diet included filter-less cigarettes and peeing off the porch was part of the culture. There were no classes to attend with your wife for pregnancy...the fellas gathered in the waiting room, smoking cigars and passing a flask, until the dirty deed was finished. Went to a real Barber shop (smelled of Aqua Velva and smokes) for abuse and a flat top not a beauty parlor...by God. Oh and we buried the C Rat cans after burning them in the campfire.

ftroop94
2013-08-19, 13:36
Went to a real Barber shop (smelled of Aqua Velva and smokes) for abuse and a flat top not a beauty parlor...by God.

To this day I still drive thirty miles to go to Moon's Barber Shop where there is a red,white and blue pole out front, the lies inside are much bigger than the minnows they are talking about and the only thing on the TV is Bonanza...save a week of memorials after Andy G died.

Today is a Monday and like any true barber they are closed, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow for a shave from Roy or Virgil...whomever isn't out back smoking a Pall Mall or a Marlboro Red.

Sargevining
2013-08-19, 13:38
Gee, Grandpa, tell us some more stories from back in the day. :)

Well, there was that time my brother and I had to turn back while winter camping at Lake Massabesic. We'd gotten our fire started using the glowing coals we carried in leather sacks filled with moss and when it was time to cook we went through the whole "I thought YOU brought the can opener thing." Neither one of us wanted to use our knives to open those cans. Danged ol knives took forever to make and we were no where near the flint quarry. Back then it was still possible to come across a wooly mammoth carcass, and a knife came in pretty handy. If you didn't mind getting a little smelly you'd have a good dinner or two if you could hack away enough rotted meat.

And you young punks didn't invent dual use gear, either. If you could club enough baby seals and had yourself a good whale bone and some sabertooth sinew, you could whip yourself up one of these (http://inquiry.net/images/ggb_pack_plans.jpg) and pack the blubber out.

Smart assed kid. GET OUT OF MY CANDY STORE YOU FANCY PANTS GANGSTER!

Sargevining
2013-08-19, 13:44
Trail food during the 60/70s here. The spaghetti and Vienna sausages were pretty good. Oh and LSMFT...sort that out you young whipper snappers. :bandit:

GORP was a staple, not a snack. If you couldn't find C Rats, Beanie Weenies was the main course and a can of mandarin oranges or fruit cocktail was dessert. All the trails were uphill in all directions and it was always winter.

ftroop94
2013-08-19, 13:51
"I thought YOU brought the can opener thing."

...oh the virtues of the P-38...

Roche
2013-08-19, 14:20
Went to a real Barber shop (smelled of Aqua Velva and smokes) for abuse and a flat top not a beauty parlor My old man would give his three boys a crew cut down in the basement while puffing on a Pall Mall - that tradition ended when he tried to give us "hair cuts". My son and I frequent the Lovell Heights Barbershop.

One of the greatest pee off the porch moments in history: 5221

ftroop94
2013-08-19, 14:27
One of the greatest pee off the porch moments in history: 5221

VMI Class of 1907...

Must've been where he learned his bedside manner. The softer side he acquired from that girls' school up on the banks of the Hudson...

Sargevining
2013-08-19, 14:45
...oh the virtues of the P-38...

I was 11, he was 10.

P38's hadn't been invented yet, or at least we hadn't discovered them. The C Rations that were sold in Mickey Finn's Surplus Store on Elm Street were from WW2 and had a twist key like on a can of corned beef. They were tack welded onto the bottom of the can.

Twenty year old pound cake is just plain yummy.

Ray
2013-08-19, 15:09
....One of the greatest pee off the porch moments in history: 5221My Col. was a history buff and each year volunteers could join him for a hike from our barracks down to the Rhine crossing, the spot where this picture was made. And the Old Man did it up big with free soft drinks along the way and a steak dinner at the site and transportation back to the barracks. Also he wanted us to check out the crossing site, it's still set up for Pontoon bridging and we were the closest Engineering unit with bridges. It was really a nice way to get out of work for a day.

Once there he'd tell us the story about how George promised that when he crossed the Rhine he'd piss in it then keep on marching because Adolf swore no enemy troops would ever, ever cross the Rhine. According to the Colonel, George crossed on a boat and was standing in front posing like that other George, the one that crossed the Delaware. When the boat hit the bank Patton fell overboard and got dunked. So he cussed, stomped out, then prepared to fulfill his promise.

His aide stopped him and said it wouldn't look good in the photo for him to be taking a leak wearing soaked pants and boots. So Patton sat on the banks and changed uniforms (...always had a spare handy, y'know...) posed for the photo then mounted up and kept heading east.

SGT Rock
2013-08-19, 17:11

They all sucked.

john pickett
2013-08-19, 17:32
Unless you had a deuce and a half to carry them.

Superman
2013-08-19, 17:39
Unless you had a deuce and a half to carry them.

There were times when c-rats were the high point of my day. A can of fruit cocktail was just about a can of heaven. They were a whole lot better than rice balls.

Sargevining
2013-08-19, 17:47
I remember being on an FTX at Ft Sill. They'd dump the C's in big boxes and you'd go through the line picking what you wanted. I'd long since stopped trying to find a main course that might taste good based on its name. I found some spaghetti and meatballs made in my hometown. I thought "This is a good omen."

I'd have done better with water bottled in Nuevo Laredo.

Roche
2013-08-19, 18:21
I'd have done better with water bottled in Nuevo Laredo. And bought in Boys Town...

Ray
2013-08-19, 18:38
I remember being on an FTX at Ft Sill. They'd dump the C's in big boxes and you'd go through the line picking what you wanted. I'd long since stopped trying to find a main course that might taste good based on its name. I found some spaghetti and meatballs made in my hometown. I thought "This is a good omen."

I'd have done better with water bottled in Nuevo Laredo.Peanut butter and oil (it always separated) spread on a John Wayne bar and sprinkled with Hot Cocoa Mix brings back memories.

Not particularly good memories, but still...

And you could take the fruit salad can and add a couple coffee creamers and sugar packets, stir it all up and it tasted like... fruit salad with coffee creamer and sugar. But different. Different was good sometimes.

I can't believe it took them so long to add bottles of Tobasco to rations. I had to carry it in my ammo pouch because it wouldn't fit in my Field Dressing pouch. Plus I was worried that if anyone ever had to use my Field Dressing on me then they might sprinkle the wound with Tobasco first.

Colt
2013-08-19, 18:43
Top Raman with beef jerky

SGT Rock
2013-08-19, 19:20
That does work. At least they started putting pop-tarts in the MREs.

Acer
2013-08-19, 19:39
I always thought the best C-Rations were the ones from 1941-43. Anything with a date on the box up to 53 kinda sucked,,but we still had to eat them as it was all we had when we could get them. C Rats were better than rice and tramone any time.

Austin
2013-08-21, 15:27
I was 11, he was 10.

P38's hadn't been invented yet, or at least we hadn't discovered them. The C Rations that were sold in Mickey Finn's Surplus Store on Elm Street were from WW2 and had a twist key like on a can of corned beef. They were tack welded onto the bottom of the can.

Twenty year old pound cake is just plain yummy.

I remember Mickey Finns. Except it was a pool hall.

Lugnut
2013-08-21, 15:43
I thought a Mickey Finn was a knock out drink. :bebored:

Sargevining
2013-08-21, 15:57
Depended on what year the C Rations were made. That '44 vintage lemon drink powder would knock your dick in the dirt.

Superman
2013-08-21, 16:08
Depended on what year the C Rations were made. That '44 vintage lemon drink powder would knock your dick in the dirt.

I never saw any drink mix. Coffee or hot chlorate was all I saw. They told people back in the world to send cool aid mix. With temps about 100 and resupply iffy adding sugar to bad water didn't improve the situation.

DesertReprobate
2013-08-21, 21:22
Top Raman with beef jerky

Try Top Romen with bacon jerky

Tin Man
2013-08-21, 21:28
Try Top Romen with bacon jerky

i have heard of roman and ramen, what's romen?

Ray
2013-08-21, 21:41
Anybody ever see Tin Man and Cammo together at the same time?

Big Mac
2013-08-21, 21:43
Nope

Skidsteer
2013-08-21, 21:46
Hmm....

Lugnut
2013-08-21, 21:53
I think Camo only has one 'm'. :albertein

Skidsteer
2013-08-21, 21:54
Hahahahaha!

Skidsteer
2013-08-21, 21:55
Perfect.

Superman
2013-08-21, 21:57
Anybody ever see Tin Man and Cammo together at the same time?

OMG...which is the sock puppet?

Tin Man
2013-08-21, 22:37
say what muthafucka?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rtOXMZlMTkg/S1EzZXvwSdI/AAAAAAAACgc/tI6WHKcEynU/s640/f_TinOldSkoolm_5483177.png

lambdahammock
2017-04-06, 20:48
For the easiest set up I'd say a Hennessy Hammock

For those that are more inclined, it would be a DIY hammock out of the lightest strongest material you can find

And my personal preference it would include a knotty mod :)