PDA

View Full Version : the remarkable 10 %

Hog On Ice
2013-08-28, 20:58
I have observed with my vehicle that the gas with 10 % alcohol gives me 10 % less miles per gallon than the no alcohol gas - where the heck are the savings

One item I have noticed is that I get better gas mileage from the TN gas - observed on TN gas pumps "may contain up to 10% alcohol" - I suspect that they rarely put 10% alcohol in their gas since the mileage is about the same as the no alcohol gas I get here in VA. In VA however the gas pumps "contains 10 % alcohol" - as in for sure it is 10 % alcohol.

Skidsteer
2013-08-28, 21:14
Ah yes, ethanol.

A great idea. Let's cut 2 feet off the bottom of a blanket and sew it to the top so we have a longer blanket.

Skidsteer
2013-08-28, 21:15
Don't even get me started about Daylight Savings time.

Superman
2013-08-28, 22:58
Cimarron Caetano, The 91 Year Old Pilgrim

Cimarron had an awful day yesterday in NoRfork (as he calls it), Virginia, where he was skipped over on his space-available flight to Rota, Spain. He is a retired Naval Aviator (I believe he flew with the Wright Brothers) so he wants to be sure to get his retirement benefits even though everyone I know doesn't want to go Space-A. He called two months ago and got on the list, arrived in NoRfork two days early, and went to the terminal seven hours before his flight. He called me to say the place was packed and one family had the nerve to show up with six kids ahead of him. Cimarron has EIGHT kids, but seemed to forget that fact when he saw that family, saying: "Can you believe they wanted a seat for every one of them!" Cimarron was 101 in line when the plane took off without him! He only missed the flight by 101 seats! So he called #1 daughter who found out it costs $1600 to fly to Madrid from NoRfork, but only $800 to fly from Philadelphia. He immediately went to the Bachelor Officers Quarters in NoRfork and was in bed (still in the USA) by 10 PM. He got up at 3 Am and was at Maguire AFB, New Jersey (a five hour drive) before 9 AM. By noon he had called me, been to the AFB terminal and found out of a flight to Rota, Spain, late on Friday (two days hence). He was fit to be tied with the Space-A program on Tuesday in NoRfork, but in line for a free flight in NJ less than 24 hours later and five hours of driving later. This is not your usual 91 year old man. His Priest blessed his Pilgrimage last week and asked HIM to pray for Nativity Catholic Church on the Pilgrimage. So Cimarron, The Pilgrim, now says he has to walk the El Camino (The Way of St. James) to get to every little church along the way and do his job for Nativity.

Sargevining
2013-08-28, 23:01
Make Iowa the last caucus state in the Presidential Primary cycle and it will all go away.

Skidsteer
2013-08-28, 23:06
Won't happen.

Those people have pitchforks.

Sargevining
2013-08-28, 23:29
Torches, too from what I understand. Ethanol torches.

Skidsteer
2013-08-28, 23:30
Nice. :biggrin:

Wonder
2013-08-29, 10:46
Our car is actually marked not to use more the E-10 gas. We have one ethanol free station in the area, so we try to go there whenever we can. We make gas mileage a game. I think our best score so far is a trip with an average mileage of 66.7 mpg :-). I swear this car pays for itself

Lugnut
2013-08-29, 12:26
What speed? 15 MPH?

Wonder
2013-08-29, 15:01
Nah, between 55-65, but we can travel at 75+ without even thinking about it. First road trip was to Franklin, and we averaged over 50 mpg the whole way

D'Artagnan
2013-08-29, 16:02
Nah, between 55-65, but we can travel at 75+ without even thinking about it. First road trip was to Franklin, and we averaged over 50 mpg the whole way

And that was with my fat butt in the car.

Lugnut
2013-08-29, 16:15
I may have to get one of those hippy cars. :angel:

Tin Man
2013-08-29, 16:33
I may have to get one of those hippy cars. :angel:

thinking about it here. hell, i would break even on a car payment vs. the gas in my 12-mpg yukon xl

Jester
2013-08-29, 18:41
Make Iowa the last caucus state in the Presidential Primary cycle and it will all go away.

Pretty much.

Belew
2013-08-30, 07:51
It burns the most gas getting up to speed so I take off fast, get to speed and then mpg's increase. I get better mpg driving it hard than when I tried to be easy on it.