PDA

View Full Version : Caching water?

trav
2013-09-06, 23:18
I've seen recommendations to cache water for certain backpacking trails but haven't heard of people doing it. Is this widely practiced? Do you have to visit the spots in advance? Do you have to hide it? Seems someone might find it and mess with it.

Big Mac
2013-09-06, 23:21
If you are thinking of backpacking in Indiana you may need to cache water, especially on the Knobstone Trail. It can get pretty dry. Let me know if you are heading there, I can give you some tips.

Tin Man
2013-09-06, 23:46
I cache water on my section hikers... right next to my cache of scotch and wine

SGT Rock
2013-09-07, 08:21
In dry years some trail clubs in the area will cache water for hikers. I don't know if that is a norm up there.

Roche
2013-09-07, 08:41
I've never had to cache water, that is too much like work. Trails are a bit like wedding receptions - always go to the one with an open bar.

Tin Man
2013-09-07, 09:10
In dry years some trail clubs in the area will cache water for hikers. I don't know if that is a norm up there.

Lots of water caches along the AT in NY, but there is reliable water [some definitely needs filtering] along the entire section

john pickett
2013-09-07, 09:41
I try to avoid hikes where caching is advised.

Bearpaw
2013-09-07, 10:03
I've cached water on several trails, most notably the Tahoe Rim Trail. I'll probably set one on the Sheltowee Trace next month so I can extend a hiking day and camp comfortably in a 14-mile dry stretch. The trail crossing is right on the main road I'll drive to get to the trailhead, so it's an easy drop.

Sargevining
2013-09-07, 13:58
Its almost required here in TX, especially between late Spring and early Fall. Most of the rainfall here is in Spring. Much of the terrain is coastal plain or rolling prairie, and half of the places where we have significant elevation changes are in desert. Its only in the dentral part of the state that one can find spring fed streams with any regularity. There's only a couple of natural lakes in the state, and the number of natural waterfalls is just a couple dozen or so.

The other aspect that affects us is the location of trails. Texas entered the Union as a Sovereign Country by means of a Treaty. The Stae retained ownership of all land, cedeing little to the Federal Government. If you loom at maps of the National Forests here, they look like patchwork quilts with large tracts of privately owned land (with GREAT hunting) interspersed throughout. Most of the Parks and Wilderness are located in areas that have historically been commercially and agriculturally unviable. That essentially means that the places with the water belong to somebody, and the places without it are where the trails are.

Any trip of any duration beyond a weekend will require caching water.

trav
2013-09-09, 18:29
I think the Knobstone was the trail I saw it advised for on the Indiana DNR website. I'm not planning on going there soon, but if I end up living in Indiana for much longer, I'd love to do it. I'm guessing I can find out how when the time comes.

Big Mac
2013-09-09, 23:15
I think the Knobstone was the trail I saw it advised for on the Indiana DNR website. I'm not planning on going there soon, but if I end up living in Indiana for much longer, I'd love to do it. I'm guessing I can find out how when the time comes.

It's actually a pretty rugged trail - surprising for Indiana. After spring there is little water. I've hiked all but a few miles of it, so let me know if you need some info. The south end got hit really hard by a tornado in 2011.

MedicineMan4040
2013-09-09, 23:25
Never cached water. Only food. I'd think on the PCT it be required too.Is the Knobstone near Garden of the Gods....ooops Garden of the Gods is in Illinois :(

Big Mac
2013-09-10, 07:52
Pretty country in southern Illinois as well. The river to river trail is on my list to hike one day. It includes the Garden of the Gods.

Sargevining
2013-09-10, 12:51
Never cached water. Only food. I'd think on the PCT it be required too.Is the Knobstone near Garden of the Gods....ooops Garden of the Gods is in Illinois :(

The Garden of the Gods is bordered on the East by Louisiana, on the West by New Mexico, on the North by Oklahoma, and on the South by Mexico.

You're welcome.

Big Mac
2013-09-10, 13:13
The Garden of the Gods is bordered on the East by Louisiana, on the West by New Mexico, on the North by Oklahoma, and on the South by Mexico.

You're welcome.

That is what all the people in hell say, just to try to survive.

Just sayin'.

Roche
2013-09-10, 14:08
Is the Garden of Eden within the Garden of the Gods?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIVe-rZBcm4

Hog On Ice
2013-09-10, 14:35
isn't that where they filmed the Clash of the Titans?

D'Artagnan
2013-09-10, 14:41
isn't that where they filmed the Clash of the Titans?

Or was it Return of the Jedi?

D'Artagnan
2013-09-10, 14:42
Or Dawn of the Dead?

MonkeyBoy
2013-09-10, 14:50
In some dry sections of the AT, we've had people drop water at specific road crossings and hide them under a bush in a garbage bag or something and cover them up with leaves.