PDA

View Full Version : So. Is this a warning or a challenge?

Sargevining
2013-09-12, 14:29
Most of Texas is private land, and most of it is rural. That means that most of the places for camping/hiking are on private property. Most of the time you can walk out onto the prairie or woods for camping and you're OK, as long as you close the gates behind you or don't knock down any fences.

For the past 10 years, I've been driving 42 miles to work everymorning. A good portion of that is in an area that has been rural, but due to Texas' superior economic environment has been becomng increasingly suburban. There's a large tract of about a thousand acres or more that I drive through that's owned by one family, and has been ever since Davy Crockett was a Corporal. My boss tells me he can remember when he was a boy that the road I drive on was gravel, and occasionally people driving on it had to pull over and stop for a an hour or so as the cowboys drove cattle over it to move from one pasture to another. Its an interesting area to me because its basically the location of a small town that disappeared at the turn of the last century.

Last year, I started looking at this tract Google Earth for places where it might be interesting to camp. Apparently, the owner has contacts with the drone managers at the NSA who have been monitoring my Internet usage because I once volunteered to bring iced TEA to a PARTY and has been able to divine my intentions. Last week, this sign went up:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/sargevining/stwdbushwhackers002_zps5f4a1f39.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/sargevining/media/stwdbushwhackers002_zps5f4a1f39.jpg.html)

So.

Warning or challenge?

Crikey
2013-09-12, 14:37
Call the number and ask.

Cuffs
2013-09-12, 14:45
Stay off it. If that was your land and you put the sign up and later found people ignoring it, I'm betting you'd be upset.

Ewker
2013-09-12, 14:57
go for it and use your 1 call wisely

sheepdog
2013-09-12, 15:11
I respect private property.

Crikey
2013-09-12, 16:18
Call and ask what "Dumpimg" means.

D'Artagnan
2013-09-12, 16:45
Call and ask what "Dumpimg" means.

Dang, beat me to it. Ha!

Crikey
2013-09-12, 16:55
Anyway, I'll stop being a smartass (on this thread at least).

It's a warning. It's their shit. You should respect that.

Superman
2013-09-12, 20:00
5 tight strands of barbwire doesn't just happen. Someone is serious.

Skidsteer
2013-09-12, 20:13

Yes. People like that usually have weapons and poor impulse control.

Superman
2013-09-12, 20:23
Yes. People like that usually have weapons and poor impulse control.

I feel....empathy.

Skidsteer
2013-09-12, 20:30
I hear that brother.

Tin Man
2013-09-12, 21:03

cannabis farm?

Superman
2013-09-12, 21:08
cannabis farm?

I think we are in a limbo period. If you are caught growing MJ on your property they will take your property. On the other hand there are a bunch of people trying to ease into being a legal grower. If they come out at the wrong time they will lose their property but if they wait others will have the market. Not my problem.

Sarcasm The Elf
2013-09-13, 00:50
Stay off it. If that was your land and you put the sign up and later found people ignoring it, I'm betting you'd be upset.

I have to say I'm conflicted.

In practice I respect private property rights, in a strictly legal sense.

In principal, I believe in respecting people's homes and personal property, but keeping people off undeveloped land just pisses me off. It's land, nobody built it, nobody can really "own" it, we just decided to divide it up and deed it out, and long before I was born. I don't see any moral reason you should stop me from freely walking the earth. Then again if it was mine maybe I'd feel differently... while I always have an opinion, I don't necessarily claim that I'm right.

Superman
2013-09-13, 01:40

In principal, I believe in respecting people's homes and personal property, but keeping people off undeveloped land just pisses me off. It's land, nobody built it, nobody can really "own" it, we just decided to divide it up and deed it out, and long before I was born. I don't see any moral reason you should stop me from freely walking the earth. Then again if it was mine maybe I'd feel differently... while I always have an opinion, I don't necessarily claim that I'm right.

In Sweden they have a law that lets you walk on and camp on other peoples land so long as you don't interfere with the residence, people and animals of the owner. I did that and at times the owners knew that I was off the road and camping on their property and had no problem with it. One morning I chatted with the property owner as he came out to get his mail. He told me where the next town was where I could resupply and it had a restaurant. Different countries view property rights differently. In Maine there is a long history of using paper company land as common land. The paper companies owned about 3/4 of the state so there was massive amounts of undeveloped land that people hunted on, recreated on etc. Then the paper companies started selling it off and the new owners began limiting access to land that had been used in common for generations. It hasn't always been an easy transition.

SGT Rock
2013-09-13, 05:54
Some states have a tier tax system on property. They reduce the taxes on property like this to next to nothing if you allow public access. I think that is a good idea.

sheepdog
2013-09-13, 06:46
cannabis farm?

If they are growing cannabis and cows you can bet the steaks are high.

Superman
2013-09-13, 09:23
If they are growing cannabis and cows you can bet the steaks are high.

Hey, is that humor?

Tin Man
2013-09-13, 09:35
Hey, is that humor?

almost

Crikey
2013-09-13, 09:38
Please, remember to tip your servers.

Cuffs
2013-09-13, 09:51
Just don't tip the cows.

Wonder
2013-09-13, 10:02

I must admit, I felt that way for quite sometime........... Now that I own land, I'm very territorial about it. Lucky for us, outside of a few kids on ATVs, everyone else around here pretty much feels the same. That and the farm gate with multiple posted/private property signs doesn't really give that warm fuzzy welcoming feeling to folks

Superman
2013-09-13, 10:10
When I was hiking on the Florida Trail Daisy and I were impressed with the 7 or 8 strands of tight barbwire around each persons property. We weren't sure if it was to keep people or critters out...I guess it was "to whom it may concern." We had a hell of a time finding a way through the maze of barbwire.

Tin Man
2013-09-13, 10:20
When I was hiking on the Florida Trail Daisy and I were impressed with the 7 or 8 strands of tight barbwire around each persons property. We weren't sure if it was to keep people or critters out...I guess it was "to whom it may concern." We had a hell of a time finding a way through the maze of barbwire.

you're lucky you didn't float away to cuba... just sayin'

Superman
2013-09-13, 10:32
you're lucky you didn't float away to cuba... just sayin'

They were more like those "Fried Green Tomatoes" folks.

john pickett
2013-09-13, 10:47
Love this thread! talk about highs and lows!

Cuffs
2013-09-13, 11:07

It also could have been to keep critters in.

Superman
2013-09-13, 11:24
It also could have been to keep critters in.

...maybe human critters. The gene pool seemed a bit.... shallow.

Sargevining
2013-09-16, 12:04
So, I snuck out there and took a picture:

MedicineMan4040
2013-09-18, 00:13
....and the ranger said the water was low.