PDA

View Full Version : Big South Fork: NOV 15-17, 2013

Roche
2013-09-16, 20:36
http://www.nps.gov/biso/index.htm

Mark your calendars to join us on a 3 day backpacking trip in Big South Fork. The executive committee is still mapping out the hike but in the past it has been around 8 miles per day. This will be a good opportunity to learn about hammock camping and an even better time making fun of hammock campers. But be warned - after I set up the tent I came back to find my wife surrounded by hammockers and her pants were down.

For those with a drive we'll also car camp Thursday night, NOV 14, in the Bandy Creek Campground, Loop A, campsite 39 - plenty of trees to hang, tent pads, and spotless restrooms with hot water. DETAILS TO FOLLOW

Hog On Ice
2013-09-16, 20:42
does not compute : 'Thursday night, SEP 14'

Roche
2013-09-16, 20:46
HOI, you've met me, you expect too much.

Hog On Ice
2013-09-16, 20:51
the time and location make me think of hunting which iirc is allowed in BSF - any issues here?

Roche
2013-09-16, 21:07
Hunting is allowed in BSF http://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/hunting.htm . I've never heard a shot in the backcountry and we haven't had any issues /or warnings from the rangers. The park is empty that time of the year, the weather is usually decent (above 20*) and the terrain is much easier than say the Smokys.

ftroop94
2013-09-16, 23:06
Put me on the I'm definitely, maybe, possibly, hopefully gonna be there list.

Ewker
2013-09-17, 00:37
I'm in as I don't have to get anyone's approval....shhhh don't tell Hamhocker I said that :afraid:

MedicineMan4040
2013-09-17, 02:25
Looking forward to this the 3rd annual BSF hike-n-hang. Already got it scheduled.
HOI, if you can get to JC I'll get you the rest of the way.
Roche and HNO ususally plan a route that Poof and I can handle--thankfully :)
I do remember year before last, didn't it get in the teens the campground pre-hike night?
Then there was the year F-troop suddenly disappeared...I think that was the night he could suddenly
speak tongues.

ftroop94
2013-09-17, 23:14
I do remember year before last, didn't it get in the teens the campground pre-hike night?
Then there was the year F-troop suddenly disappeared...I think that was the night he could suddenly
speak tongues.

I think he got into some bad Raman Noodles!!!:afraid: I didn't know he could speak at all!

I believe emcee was the official weatherman of the trip! I bet the Floridian can tell us exactly to the digit how cool it got that night...

Roche
2013-09-18, 08:25
Roche and HNO ususally plan a route that Poof and I can handle--thankfully :)

I believe Spamburglar & hangnout are mapping the course again this year. 22* was our low in 2011 and 24* was the low in 2012.

I think he got into some bad Raman Noodles!!!:afraid:It looked more like a worm in that bottle.:cheers:

Rivendell Ref
2013-09-24, 13:35
I would not miss this for the world,,I'll be there thurs. night.

Spamburglar
2013-09-28, 14:06
You can count me in of course. Already planning out my home time schedule to make a thursday night appearance:D

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2

Rivendell Ref
2013-10-03, 16:09
Any Ideas yet of the routing/trip plans? sorry kinda chomping at the bit!

Spamburglar
2013-10-04, 14:11
Got a great route in mind and one I think everyone will enjoy. Just need to work out the fine details with HNO and it will be posted for everyones approval. And for those of you who attended last years hike I promise there wont be nearly as many creek crossings this time:D

ftroop94
2013-10-08, 13:29
Got a great route in mind and one I think everyone will enjoy. Just need to work out the fine details with HNO and it will be posted for everyones approval. And for those of you who attended last years hike I promise there wont be nearly as many creek crossings this time:D

Spammy,

Think there will be a way for someone to sneak in Saturday morning on the circuit or will I just need to speed hike if I make it in a day late?

Still working on backcountry capital with momma after spending last week with Roche and emcee.

Grapenut
2013-10-13, 21:24
If I can figure out the logistics then I will be there. Thanks for telling me about this ftroop! Gotta start working on momma for a hall pass now...

Ewker
2013-10-15, 23:47
got a Plan B just in case?

Roche
2013-10-16, 11:43

Spamburglar
2013-10-27, 23:47
Ok, I typed out a long and detailed itenerary only to discover I had been logged out before I could post it, so instead of doing it all again I will stick to the quick and dirty version. We will start out friday morning from Bandy Creek Campground on the John Litton Farm trail and take it to the Fall Branch trail which we will follow to the John Muir trail. From there we will continue to Laurel Fork Creek and take it to Jacks Ridge trail to intersect with the Katie trail which will lead us back to Bandy creek. HGO and I have discussed an alternate starting point for those who want a slightly shorter, but more rigorous hike for friday as well as the possibility of entry points for those unable to arrive until saturday morning. If this applies to either of you let us know and we will work out the details. Thanks to everyone showing interest and I am looking forward to seeing everyone there. Happy Hanging!

Ewker
2013-10-30, 00:06
I am out of this trip. Hamhocker is having a cataract removed on Nov 14 and I will need to be at home that weekend. Hope you guys have fun

Roche
2013-10-31, 14:00
Please give our best to Hamhocker.

Ewker
2013-10-31, 14:21
will do Roche

hangnout
2013-11-10, 09:36
We are close now. When is everyone planning on getting there? I plan on coming in late on Thursday probably after dark. Is some going to leave the light on for me?:afraid:

Roche
2013-11-10, 10:06
Spamburglar and I will arrive Friday morning and will meet you at campsite # 39.

Rivendell Ref
2013-11-11, 07:42
We are close now. When is everyone planning on getting there? I plan on coming in late on Thursday probably after dark. Is some going to leave the light on for me?:afraid:

I will be there about noonish on thurs. Campsite 39...I'll have the lights and brats on!

hangnout
2013-11-11, 12:40
I will be there about noonish on thurs. Campsite 39...I'll have the lights and brats on!

You care to pick up the permit for the group? (1-6 hikers $5) If more show up we can pick a second one up on Friday morning.

Arrival Day

Thursday Afternoon/Evening

Hangnout
Rivendell Ref
MedicineMan?
Poof?

Friday Morning

Roche
Spamburglar

Add or update as needed

Roche
2013-11-11, 14:18
It is my understanding we'll do the 2011 route

Tin Man
2013-11-11, 14:49
It is my understanding we'll do the 2011 route

no good. CT was left off the 2011 route...

Roche
2013-11-11, 19:34
no good. CT was left off the 2011 route......as with the 2011 edition of the BMT Thru-Hikers Guidebook. Proof-positive of the vast right-wing conspiracy. :argh:

Rivendell Ref
2013-11-11, 21:33
Roger That HNO! I'll get two permits, I will have Crackrbilly in tow and ZEEZ should be there thurs afternoon,, Is campsite 39 reserved ? if so I'll just tell them my name is Spamburglar! ..
Looking forward to this one especially now that the weather is cooperating better! I'll bring brats n buns for first campground night and ZEEZ told me he would have his Wife send a Big pot
of stew or potato soup with him.! Any idea on the campsites we'll be using or will we just wing it?

Thanks RR

hangnout
2013-11-12, 12:49
Roger That HNO! I'll get two permits, I will have Crackrbilly in tow and ZEEZ should be there thurs afternoon,, Is campsite 39 reserved ? if so I'll just tell them my name is Spamburglar! ..
Looking forward to this one especially now that the weather is cooperating better! I'll bring brats n buns for first campground night and ZEEZ told me he would have his Wife send a Big pot
of stew or potato soup with him.! Any idea on the campsites we'll be using or will we just wing it?

Thanks RR

I don't think they take reservations this time of year. Campsite for Friday night will be somewhere on the John Muir Trail past Grand Gap Loop. That section of trail does not have any established sites so just pick a spot. Last time we found a cool overhang to cook under. Saturday night will be on Laurel Fork Creek. There are a couple good established sites on the trail. How many miles we make the first day will dictate the second night's site. If anyone wanted to join us on Saturday night they could just come in from Laurel Fork Creek trail off of the Black House Branch trail and hike towards the river until they see us.

We are missing the "good" weather tonight and Wed. Low near 20*. It is going to be quite pleasant Fri/Sat.

Rivendell Ref
2013-11-14, 10:24
Out the door here,, Looking forward to seeing everyone and Be extra safe on the drive (I've heard rumor of gingers with operator permits).. it'll just be me now and ZEEZ should meet me there in the early afternoon,Unfortunately Crackrbilly had to bail per work schedules,,, Cya soon!!!!

RR

ftroop94
2013-11-14, 15:45
The little one had a double ear infection and a ruptured ear drum, so momma nixed any chance at a late arrival.

Be sure to tell plenty of lies for and/or about me...

See you down the trail on the next one ...

~ftroop

Roche
2013-11-14, 16:18
ftroop

Take care of the little nipper - that's priority one.

We have your credit card on file so you may see a few incidentals (food, booze, bail, etc...) on your next statement.