PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Stove

MidnightSamurai
2013-10-13, 21:35
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the "Solo Stove" or has heard of it. I find myself considering it as my go to stove since its a wood burning stove but also uses an alcohol burner as backup (I hate carrying around fuel canisters). http://www.solostove.com/solo-stove/

Roche
2013-10-13, 23:14
I hate carrying around 9 ounce stoves.

Rasty
2013-10-14, 00:45
Take a serious look at Trail Designs 3 Fuel Stoves (Alcohol, Esbit Tablets and Wood) http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/cones/caldera-3-fuel-wood-burners

The options are really nice because the systems are optimized for the cooking pot selected. I have the Fissure Ti-Tri with a Snowpeak Mini Solo Set. The Sidewinder is also very good for short-wide pots.

sheepdog
2013-10-14, 00:48
being a stovie by nature.....I want one.

MidnightSamurai
2013-10-14, 12:01
Thanks, I've never heard of them before but I like the stoves. They seem like really nice stoves. I'll a little more reading when I have time and decide on it.

Grapenut
2013-10-17, 22:58
I have one and I like how it nests neatly within my 12 cm Imusa pot. There is a weight penalty but you don't have to carry fuel with it. Having said all that, the Solo stove works very well and like I said, packs away nicely. It is my favorite wood stove when I decide to carry it. I've tried the small fold flat stoves and they don't provide the gasification boost you get from the Solo stove...

Amigi
2013-10-19, 02:41
I dont have any experience with this particular stove, but I have used wood burning stoves before. The biggest negative to me is they are messy and a pain to pack around. I know they get a lot of hate, but I will never give up my Jetboil.

sheepdog
2013-10-19, 11:03
I dont have any experience with this particular stove, but I have used wood burning stoves before. The biggest negative to me is they are messy and a pain to pack around. I know they get a lot of hate, but I will never give up my Jetboil.

I use my jetboil most of the time.

Superman
2013-10-19, 11:21
I started my AT thru hike with a zip stove. I used it until Gatlinburg. I switched to a homemade alcohol stove because the zip stove needed the most fiddling when I least want to fiddle. When Daisy and I hike together we carry the zip stove because we do a lot more extra cooking, hot chocolate, tea, etc.

Hog On Ice
2013-10-19, 11:31
one nice thing about a wood burner - it generally keeps the bugs away

Lugnut
2013-10-19, 11:56
I started my AT thru hike with a zip stove. I used it until Gatlinburg. I switched to a homemade alcohol stove because the zip stove needed the most fiddling when I least want to fiddle. When Daisy and I hike together we carry the zip stove because we do a lot more extra cooking, hot chocolate, tea, etc.

And probably a lot more 'fiddling'. :aetsch:

Superman
2013-10-19, 12:16
And probably a lot more 'fiddling'. :aetsch:

I do what I can old timer.:angel:

Hog On Ice
2013-10-19, 12:21
sounds like he's bragging again - more like he's as good _once_ as he ever was

Lugnut
2013-10-19, 12:25
I do what I can old timer.:angel:

At your advanced age I imagine that's not much. :bandit:

Superman
2013-10-19, 12:31
At your advanced age I imagine that's not much. :bandit:

Ah, judgment based on yourself no doubt.

Lugnut
2013-10-19, 12:58
No. I've always tried to learn from the tribal elders. :angel:

Superman
2013-10-19, 13:31
One of us has a woman that is prone to violence. What Daisy wants, Daisy gets.:aetsch:

Hog On Ice
2013-10-19, 14:49
so - how is your ability to breath through your ears coming along?

Superman
2013-10-19, 14:53
so - how is your ability to breath through your ears coming along?

Breathing is over rated.

Gary
2013-10-20, 01:35
I have the solo stove and a bunch of others and it used to be the one I carried hiking but I agree with superman. It is the most fun when I'm just messing around here at the house with different stoves. But, when I'd hike and was tired or everything was damp, I just didn't feel like messing with it. I just stick to the soda can stove now and like it much better.

sheepdog
2013-10-20, 21:48
I don't know how many stoves I have. If you know how many you have; you don't have enough. I don't own a wood fired stove. I prolly should do sumpin about that.

So I guess if you don't know how many stoves you have; you don't have enough either.

Lugnut
2013-10-20, 23:07
I've got one of the old zip stoves. Works pretty well but gets the pot black and sticky. Not really heavy, just bulky. Haven't carried it in years.

Superman
2013-10-20, 23:09
I've got one of the old zip stoves. Works pretty well but gets the pot black and sticky. Not really heavy, just bulky. Haven't carried it in years.

I think it was Sgt Rock that had the plans for making a smaller zip stove out of a titanium cup.

Lugnut
2013-10-20, 23:10
I would never destroy a titanium cup to make a stove!

Rasty
2013-10-20, 23:11
I don't know how many stoves I have. If you know how many you have; you don't have enough. I don't own a wood fired stove. I prolly should do sumpin about that.

So I guess if you don't know how many stoves you have; you don't have enough either.

I only have two. A twenty year old Whiperlite and a Caldera Alcohol/Wood/Esbit stove. I'm so behind.

Lugnut
2013-10-20, 23:13
I have at least one of every kind but use a pocket rocket mainly because I'm lazy.

sheepdog
2013-10-21, 13:01
I once saw a pic of oops56 garage. There were zillions of stoves. He's been my hero ever since.

MidnightSamurai
2013-11-09, 09:33
I guess I just like having a multi-fuel source stove in case something happens hahaha. I don't really mind the mess of using a wood fuel stove, I'm pretty patient about cleaning things up. It's like I said before though, I just don't like having to carry around empty fuel canisters. I might get the Trail Designs stove.

sheepdog
2013-11-09, 09:44
It looks like a good stove and a small light bag could keep pot soot off the rest of your stuff. Along with a quick sand scrub.