PDA

View Full Version : notes on the use of 200 lb dyneema fishing line for tarp lines

Hog On Ice
2013-10-19, 13:01
I have moved to using a 6 strand 200 lb 0.80 mm dyneema fishing line for my tarp lines and in the process have tried a few different approaches to adjusting the tension in the lines

- initially I tried using an approach similar to Rock's where a prussic loop was tied the line coming from the stake/tree and attached to the pull out of the tarp - this allows the tension to be adjusted while reaching from under the tarp (ie when raining and one wants to stay under the tarp) - unfortunately this seems to work much better for setups such as Rock's that use two different types of line - a smaller diameter one for the prussic and a larger diameter one (heavier) for the main line - when I used the same 0.8 mm line for both parts it would either slip or jam - this got old and I abandoned this approach

- next I went back to the approach I had used with the 1.8 mm Spyderline I had previously used where the tarp line is tied to the pull out using a 3 wrap taunt line hitch - this it turns out was almost as bad as the previous approach with the adjustment slipping or jamming

- currently I found that using a relatively small adjustable loop between the main line and the pull out worked very well - I put an 8 inch adjustable loop on each of the side pull outs and a 16 inch adjustable loop on one side of the ridgeline pull outs - usually only a couple inches of adjustment is needed for the sides and the longer adjustment for the ridgeline allows me to be fairly relaxed about how I tie up the main line to the trees - for example if I want I can use Evenk knots for both ends of the ridgeline and then take out the slack by shortening the adjustable loop

- the next change I will try is to lighten the adjustable loop approach by tying a small loop to the pullout and tying a line onto the end of the main line so as to have a two tail segment I can then larkshead the small loop onto thus producing an adjustment similar to that currently used by the A Simple Sling chair - this approach should also work just like the adjustable loop approach but will use less line and thus be lighter for the same amount of adjustment capability

minor notes : the tarp these adjustments are being used on is a cuben fiber tarp and as such the adjustments are really only needed during setup - cuben fiber stretches very little after setup - tarp is also designed for use with a hammock or ASS chair and as such has a specific cat cut ridgeline along its center

also note both of the last two approaches permit adjustment of tension while working from the underside of the tarp and that the lines used are all the 0.8 mm dyneema fishing line

SGT Rock
2013-10-19, 16:59
I'm interested in how that works out.

Seeker
2013-10-20, 11:38
I'm kinda dense sometimes... got any pictures?

Hog On Ice
2013-10-20, 16:33
big pics so as to show structure of knots -

my current setup using an adjustable loop:

http://hikinghq.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5368&d=1382297000

the setup I will be switching to to save a little weight by using less line:

http://hikinghq.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5369&d=1382297004

the setup with the three wrap taunt line hitch that binds/slips:

http://hikinghq.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5370&d=1382297009

the setup similar to Rock's using a prussic loosely tied so one can see that it is a prussic- this also binds/slips:

http://hikinghq.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5371&d=1382297013

also note the small knob at the end of each line - this is where I melted the end of the line but it has the added advantage of forming a knob the keeps the line from being pulled through the knot easily

SGT Rock
2013-10-21, 00:19
Have you had any issues with the knot on the adjustable loop getting pulled into the larks head of the pull out under high winds?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Oljm
2013-10-21, 08:04
That is the thing about that cord. I use 2mm, corners and 4mm ridgeline, so all the knots can come out easy in wet & dark!

Hog On Ice
2013-10-21, 08:58
Have you had any issues with the knot on the adjustable loop getting pulled into the larks head of the pull out under high winds?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

no - I have not seen any issues with the knot being pulled into or through the larks head

the knot I am using on the adjustable loop is the double half knot (the first part of a surgeons knot) and is reasonable bulky - when I was using this line for adjustable cross ties of the ASS chair I had the line break a couple times due to pole slippage - even when the the line broke there was no sign that the knot had been pulled into the larks head - the line did however break right at the knot but this is expected IMO

although I have not tried it I suspect it would still hold if all I had was the melted knob on the end of the line and no knot at all but then this would not be an adjustable line

Hog On Ice
2013-10-21, 09:15
That is the thing about that cord. I use 2mm, corners and 4mm ridgeline, so all the knots can come out easy in wet & dark!

what knots do you use for your tarp?

note all the knots I have shown above are left tied onto the tarp - to tie to a tree I generally use either a round turn and two half hitches with second hitch slipped or an evenk knot - I've never had the round turn etc. jam and it comes out easy in the wet and dark - the evenk knot can jam but not generally under the load from a tarp, I have however stopped using the evenk for my pull up line (the line I use to get up off my ASS when it is configured for sleeping) because it sometimes jams the DynaGlide (2mm dyneema) that I use for the pull up line

attaching the line to the tarp stakes is not done with a knot at all - I just wrap the line around the stake 10 or more times and then stick the stake into the ground - again real easy to undo when taking the tarp down

Tin Man
2013-10-21, 12:14
interesting, 200 lb fishing line to catch your tarp on

SGT Rock
2013-10-21, 12:23
If you carry some fishing hardware your tarp lines become dual use.

Hog On Ice
2013-10-21, 12:36
well anyways I made the change and it did save a bit of weight over using the adjustable loops - total savings was 3.0g :-D

Tin Man
2013-10-21, 12:44
If you carry some fishing hardware your tarp lines become dual use.

can you also make a canoe out of cuben?

SGT Rock
2013-10-21, 12:45
Probably. But you would want to use one of the heavier versions of it and be careful of abrasion.

john pickett
2013-10-21, 17:07
I don't think I'll trade in the fiberglass model just yet.

Tin Man
2013-10-21, 17:09
agreed

Seeker
2013-10-25, 14:06
ok. I get it now. thanks.