PDA

View Full Version : gear hoarding errr collecting - mad monte

Hog On Ice
2013-10-20, 16:47
a remarkable collection of old gear: http://www.pbase.com/mad_monte1/_retro_outdoor_gear&page=all

Superman
2013-10-20, 17:19
I've got a bunch of that gear from the 60s and early 70s. It all still works and it is kept in the original boxes that it came in.

Oljm
2013-10-20, 22:13
Hello....my name is Oljm and I have a camp cook pot fetish. Yes I have more camping pots that pots in my kitchen:embarasse:

Superman
2013-10-20, 22:23
Hello....my name is Oljm and I have a camp cook pot fetish. Yes I have more camping pots that pots in my kitchen:embarasse:

lmao

sheepdog
2013-10-21, 13:01
I've got a bunch of that gear from the 60s and early 70s. It all still works and it is kept in the original boxes that it came in.

That's not wrong is it??

SGT Rock
2013-10-21, 13:22
That is cool.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Crikey
2013-10-21, 14:04

Including MRE's?

john pickett
2013-10-21, 17:04
When I was a drilling Naval Reservist in Amarillo, Texas in the late 70's, early 80's (a mere 800 miles from any significant body of water) I was occasionally issued C-rations with a 4-pack of cigarettes included. I think they dated from Korean War days.

Oljm
2013-10-21, 17:23
When I was a drilling Naval Reservist in Amarillo, Texas in the late 70's, early 80's (a mere 800 miles from any significant body of water) I was occasionally issued C-rations with a 4-pack of cigarettes included. I think they dated from Korean War days.

That was the only place you could get Pall Malls!

Big Mac
2013-10-21, 19:20
When I was a drilling Naval Reservist in Amarillo, Texas in the late 70's, early 80's (a mere 800 miles from any significant body of water.

There is a naval base about 15 miles from me here in Indiana - yes Indiana.

Tin Man
2013-10-21, 19:35

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-010213-rubberduck-319p.photoblog900.jpg

Hog On Ice
2013-10-21, 19:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8IfCSnYPYo#t=59

Superman
2013-10-21, 20:16
Including MRE's?

Um...I pre-date those sucky MREs. We had those good old American C-rats that were made in 1943. It included randomly...Winston, Salem, Pall Mall, Lucky Strike or Camel. To open a case of C-rats you stick the wire into the tines of the flash suppressor of your brand new to this world M-16. Twist your weapon and the wire would break. My favorite was chicken and noodles. When ever I got a can of fruit cocktail it was a message from god that I was the chosen one. Which ever meal I got I anted up to what ever gourmet was cooking. Most of us had at least one brick of C-4...just cuz. I always carried extra socks and repacked my C rats into them. It kept them quiet and they fit in my sack better.

Hog On Ice
2013-10-21, 20:21
dang - it almost sounds like you liked Ham and MFers

Oljm
2013-10-21, 20:31
I liked the Ham & eggs, chocolate pound cake.......after that it was dog food. Didn't they have a 2pak of chicklet gum? I have my original John Wayne from boot on my key chain!

Superman
2013-10-21, 20:49
I liked the Ham & eggs, chocolate pound cake.......after that it was dog food. Didn't they have a 2pak of chicklet gum? I have my original John Wayne from boot on my key chain!

The John Wayne is a P-38 in the Army. Yes, some condiment pouches had chicklets. The pond cake we had was not chocolate. It was.....white. I have always, and still do hate lima fucking beans. Beans and mother fuckers were just beans with a few little wieners. They were akin to Campbell's beans.

Oljm
2013-10-21, 21:04
You got your P-38 in Basic!!!!!!!!! Yea, i remember the Beans and mutherfuckers. I remember the pound cake to. The chocolate had walnuts in it. I don't recall anyone having allergies though.

Superman
2013-10-21, 21:14
You got your P-38 in Basic!!!!!!!!! Yea, i remember the Beans and mutherfuckers. I remember the pound cake to. The chocolate had walnuts in it. I don't recall anyone having allergies though.

I went through many John Waynes. I have the last one hanging on a sports lanyard that hangs on the wall along the stairway to the basement. Chocolate with walnuts clearly proves that god loves you best. I never saw that....I'm not saying there wasn't any. I'm saying that god intentionally doled out the good stuff to his favorite people. I'm pretty sure the chocolate with walnuts proves that.

Oljm
2013-10-21, 21:20
I went through many John Waynes. I have the last one hanging on a sports lanyard that hangs on the wall along the stairway to the basement. Chocolate with walnuts clearly proves that god loves you best. I never saw that....I'm not saying there wasn't any. I'm saying that god intentionally doled out the good stuff to his favorite people. I'm pretty sure the chocolate with walnuts proves that.

That is because "heavens streets are guarded by United States Marines"

Oljm
2013-10-21, 21:21
You were waiting for that....weren't you! :)

Superman
2013-10-21, 21:23
You were waiting for that....weren't you! :)

Good job.:angel:

Lugnut
2013-10-22, 00:06
And you could use the round 'candy' as a candle.

john pickett
2013-10-22, 12:00
In, I think, 1980 I traveled to the 29 Stumps area as Support Corpsman to a Marine tank company. My first time to get to know those guys. We went into the desert and, after about 3 days of eating MRE's exclusively, I mentioned to a Staff Sergeant I hadn't "taken care of business" since we arrived. He told me to eat one of the candy disks after supper that night. The next day, I was sitting on a tank turret; My tank was about 4th in line to drive down a live fire alley (Like a Hogans Alley but using a 105mm main gun). An unmistakable urge suddenly hit me and I barely had time to tell the TC I would be back as quick as I could. I dove behind the nearest bush tall and wide enough to cover me and I began to "disgorge" 4 days worth of used MRE's. When I scrambled back on the tank we were within moments of being ordered to drive forward and start our round. After that experience, I was careful to eat about a half candy at breakfast. It would go to work just about suppertime.

Roche
2013-10-22, 21:00
I need to give out that candy on Halloween.

Gary
2013-10-22, 23:28
Hi Big Mac, didn't know there was another Hoosier here on the site that close to Evansville. I was just up in your area a couple weeks ago hiking over at the Charles Deam wilderness area. We stopped in Bloomington for lunch on the way home.

sheepdog
2013-10-23, 00:07
we have a two hoosier limit.

Big Mac
2013-10-23, 01:14
Hi Big Mac, didn't know there was another Hoosier here on the site that close to Evansville. I was just up in your area a couple weeks ago hiking over at the Charles Deam wilderness area. We stopped in Bloomington for lunch on the way home.

Give me a shout if you head up again. Deam is great hiking, I'll tag along.

Kanga
2013-10-23, 16:25
my daddy's p-38 from vietnam is in my food bag.

Superman
2013-10-23, 16:56
my daddy's p-38 from vietnam is in my food bag.

We got to bring very few things back with us. When we cleared post to leave we went through one shake down after another. By the time I got to Oakland all I had was a few things in my pocket and the clothes on my back....then they took the clothes and gave me one set of class A's to go home in. Some guys got to send stuff home in their hold baggage that was sent ahead of time by ship. I have one camouflage jungle fatigue shirt that I had wrapped something in when I sent my hold baggage home. I used to wear the shirt for special veteran occasions but it's so tattered at this point it should probably get tossed out. Going home happened all of a sudden so there wasn't a lot of thought to what went home and what didn't. I did the math the other day and was rocked when I found that it was 45 years ago that I came home and lived happily ever after.

john pickett
2013-10-23, 19:56
Glad you came back, sir.

Superman
2013-10-23, 20:02
Glad you came back, sir.

Some times I am...but not always.

john pickett
2013-10-24, 12:18
This reminds me of a conversation I had with an Anesthesiologist I knew in Georgia. When he was about 50, he caught the eye of a pretty young nurse, divorced his first wife and moved from the northeast to Georgia with his new wife. When I met him about 20 years later, he was 70'sh and she was 45 and no longer so happy with her life. He was growing sloppy with his grooming and hygiene and she seldom passed up a chance to tie into him. One night at a high school basketball game, I saw him arrive late and disheveled. She met him in front of the stands, shouted a moment and stalked off. When I walked up, he gave me a miserable smile and said "John, don't ever grow old." I replied, "Doctor, I don't like the alternative."

Roche
2013-10-24, 13:12
Too bad he wasn't a 50 year old ditch digger.

Ray
2013-10-24, 17:57
Too bad he wasn't a 50 year old ditch digger.Don't be knocking my profession now.