PDA

View Full Version : External battery pack

presleyf
2013-10-25, 06:38
I play GPS app and Google map a lot on my phone. Then it comes with the problem of short battery life. Im thinking about get an external battery pack. Probably as large as 10000mAh. Then it would keep my phone charged when out for few days or even a week. Do you have a good external battery pack?

SGT Rock
2013-10-25, 15:07
I've sort of compared them and found it is generally lighter to just have some extra batteries.

Big Mac
2013-10-25, 17:19
I've sort of compared them and found it is generally lighter to just have some extra batteries.

Can't do that with an iPhone though.

Roche
2013-10-25, 19:47
Not an issue with maps.

Superman
2013-10-25, 20:01
maps and a compass still work. If all else fails hike with a woman so she can ask for directions.

SGT Rock
2013-10-25, 20:35
Your luck she will have an iPhone want to call for directions, but her non-changing battery will be dead.

presleyf
2013-10-26, 05:37

But it would be annoying that you'll have to turn your phone off and on every time when you need to change the battery. Using an external battery pack would be easier. Just plug your device into the battery pack, then you'll get it to charge.

Tin Man
2013-10-26, 06:19
But it would be annoying that you'll have to turn your phone off and on every time when you need to change the battery. Using an external battery pack would be easier. Just plug your device into the battery pack, then you'll get it to charge.

yep, them power off buttons are sure annoying. you have to hold them in for an extra second or two, wait 3 seconds, change the battery, turn it back on, wait another 3 seconds, and don't even get me started on restarting all the apps i need to cross the living room floor...

Superman
2013-10-26, 06:22

You've got to be kidding. What the hell could you possibly have going on that you can't turn your phone off to change batteries. Is it connected to your iron lung?

Tin Man
2013-10-26, 06:24
some folks swear by mobile phone solar rechargers. strap them to the top of their packs and go.

Roche
2013-10-26, 08:10
some folks swear by mobile phone solar rechargers. strap them to the top of their packs and go.I believe they are called desert hikers.

Tin Man
2013-10-26, 08:57
I believe they are called desert hikers.

lots of sun in the east this time of year... just sayin'

Rasty
2013-10-26, 09:19

I keep my battery out of my phone when it's in my pack. Learned that the hard way when my phone accidentally turned on a searched for a signal. The first sign I had that something was wrong was the beeping of the low battery alarm.

Tin Man
2013-10-26, 09:55
I keep my battery out of my phone when it's in my pack. Learned that the hard way when my phone accidentally turned on a searched for a signal. The first sign I had that something was wrong was the beeping of the low battery alarm.

i leave mine in airplane mode when not making a call or need the internet

SGT Rock
2013-10-26, 10:02
Mine stays off 99% of the time when I'm on the trail. So a power down for battery swap is already in progress as the default setting. In fact I've learned to pull the battery because it is likely to get turned on accidentally in my pack if I don't.

john pickett
2013-10-26, 10:40
I leave my phone at home.

Superman
2013-10-26, 10:45
I leave my phone at home.

My wife makes me carry my rotary phone and a big ass spoil of telephone wire.

Amigi
2013-10-26, 13:00
I have an S4, so I carry an extra Zerolemon battery when I hike for more than three days.

sheepdog
2013-10-26, 17:37
My wife makes me carry my rotary phone and a big ass spoil of telephone wire.

You could hump that big ass radio from Vietnam.

cool breeze
2013-10-26, 17:40
Hump and big ass in the same sentence. That's just wrong.

sheepdog
2013-10-26, 17:41
hahahahahahahaha

Roche
2013-10-26, 21:57
lots of sun in the east this time of year... just sayin'I just checked, damn you Tin Man you tricked me again.

john pickett
2013-10-27, 17:31
If I hump anything, it won't run on batteries.

Tin Man
2013-10-27, 17:33
scotch don't need no batteries

Superman
2013-10-27, 17:46
You could hump that big ass radio from Vietnam.

Oh lord that soab used to grind into my shoulders. The salt and grit used to just about make my shoulders bleed. If you don't think that thing was big try rolling over with it on. Back in the day I used to talk FNGs into carrying my extra battery. Now I'd need an FNG to carry the radio too.

SGT Rock
2013-10-27, 18:14
Imagine what one of those things would feel like now. I remember the old PRC77 and would hate to hump one at this point in my life.

Superman
2013-10-27, 18:55
Imagine what one of those things would feel like now. I remember the old PRC77 and would hate to hump one at this point in my life.

I just read some stuff on google. I was looking for a direct comparison for weight and range but didn't find it. I imagine that it would be like comparing oranges and apples anyway. They were FM so they wanted a clear line of sight. We seldom had that and many times I was lucky to have a chopper that would act as a radio relay. Radio relays were extremely common in Vietnam. I imagine the desert allowed the signal to get out much further. From what I saw, even if they lightened the load of the radio they would just have you carry more ammunition anyway.

SGT Rock
2013-10-27, 20:48
Well the PRC77 was the old FM radio we used when I first came in the Army. They said it was Vietnam era, and when I watch the movies what they carried looked like that old thing.
http://www.armyradio.com/arsc/files/product_pictures/prc-77-002.jpg
They had a second device you would attach with a couple of cables to encrypt communications.

These days the radio is about half that size. But, go figure, they usually want you to bring two on patrol in case one breaks instead of just bringing one.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnBt1QmtMVk3wmFpbKdNWKgDE9Z8Ngm QkEqNrc10-eyJn1eWCRXg

On my second tour over there we got these things call MBITER that could go FM and AM and a bunch of other shit. They are the size of a walkie-talkie.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/MBITR.jpg

Tin Man
2013-10-27, 20:56
http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Navyrelease.jpg

Superman
2013-10-27, 21:03
The PRC 77 wasn't introduced in Vietnam until 68. That doesn't mean they came in and switched all the radios. It takes a long time to switch equipment. Physically they looked very similar. The difference was internal in going from tubes to solid state. They made a big deal out of encryption. I carried a code book around my neck until it was finally recognized that by the time I was calling shit in the VC already knew where I was and the VC had no time to take evasive action. Maybe encryption was more important at a higher level but it didn't mean anything to us low lifes.

Bearpaw
2013-10-27, 21:20
The Vietnam era radio Superman would have used was the PRC-25, weighing in at about 23 pounds with the massive brick battery. The PRC-77 came out in 1968. I was 13.75 lbs without the battery. It could use either the old PRC-25 brick OR the newer lithium blocks, weighing about 2 pounds. So you could save about 7 pounds with the 77 unless you also had to encrypt with the KY box. Then you were actually a little heavier. I had to carry this system as an FO until the Marine Corps got SINCGARS in 1996. SINCGARS was heaven, only weighing 8 pounds and having internal crypto.

Of course we still had to carry the HF PRC-104 to call naval gunfire or request air support from a Direct Air Support Center. That monster was 28 pounds. Of course it had MUCH longer range than the VHF types. With the right style directional antenna, you could talk a few hundred clicks, but even in omnidirectional mode, you could often talk more than 20 clicks, more than twice the range of a 77 with 10-foot whip.

I usually carried a PRC-113 UHF radio, since I was the certified FAC on my team. The 113 was 17 pounds with batteries, and was strictly line-of-site. But since we used it only to talk directly to aircraft for CAS, the conversation was pretty much always LOS. I could easily talk to aircraft 50 clicks out. As I was leaving service in 1999, teams were rolling over to the PRC-117, which could do the same job as both the SINCGARS and PRC-113. More flexibility would have been nice.

Superman
2013-10-27, 21:30
Thanks Bearpaw. I envy so much your GPS, Laser targeting and your lighter radios. I'm pretty sure that if I had all that lighter gear I would have had to carry more ammunition. For about 30 seconds when we got the M-16 we thought we would have a lighter pack....no way. The only way our loads ever got lighter was to make contact.

Tin Man
2013-10-27, 21:51
http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/7/l/7/3/military-okay-mom.jpg

Bearpaw
2013-10-27, 21:59
The laser we carried, the SOFLAM (SpecOps Forces Laser Marker) was light, only maybe 7 pounds, including cables. It looked like a really big set of binoculars. BUT it required SIX lithium bricks, 10.5 pounds total. We also packed a civilian camera tripod to provide more stability, so the whole kit was about 20 pounds.

But it worked. With GPS providing location and a universal time hack with elements, we could engage one set of targets with naval gunfire, pop illum over another target with mortars for infantry to engage, and laser designate a third target for FA-18s to bomb, simultaneously at night.

We did this in training all the time with simulation and MILES, supporting Army units at Fort Polk during JRTCs. We did it with live ordinance on Vieques Island in Puerto Rico and with an artillery battery simulating the ship at 29 Palms, CA.

It was a symphony of destruction, and it was great being the conductor.

Superman
2013-10-27, 22:08
The laser we carried, the SOFLAM (SpecOps Forces Laser Marker) was light, only maybe 7 pounds, including cables. It looked like a really big set of binoculars. BUT it required SIX lithium bricks, 10.5 pounds total. We also packed a civilian camera tripod to provide more stability, so the whole kit was about 20 pounds.

But it worked. With GPS providing location and a universal time hack with elements, we could engage one set of targets with naval gunfire, pop illum over another target with mortars for infantry to engage, and laser designate a third target for FA-18s to bomb, simultaneously at night.

We did this in training all the time with simulation and MILES, supporting Army units at Fort Polk during JRTCs. We did it with live ordinance on Vieques Island in Puerto Rico and with an artillery battery simulating the ship at 29 Palms, CA.

It was a symphony of destruction, and it was great being the conductor.

It's the greatest show on earth when it all works right. At Ap Gu we had 5 batteries all firing multiple fire missions simultaneous, We had planes stacked 5 high waiting to drop their loads. In between we had resupply and medevac's scooting in and out. The VC were so close...they had hold of our belts. The only way to walk it in that tight was to get close to it. It was sort of funny after that because the policy was to not call it in closer that 500 meters. They changed it to 1000 meters. That only showed the disconnect between REMF policies and the real world.

john pickett
2013-10-28, 13:21
"That only showed the disconnect between REMF policies and the real world. "
I SOOO Want to make a comment!!! About government!!! It would be SOOO POLITICAL!!!
But I'll leave it to your imaginations.

Superman
2013-10-28, 14:11
"That only showed the disconnect between REMF policies and the real world. "
I SOOO Want to make a comment!!! About government!!! It would be SOOO POLITICAL!!!
But I'll leave it to your imaginations.

There has been a long history of policies that have made an already difficult job almost impossible. It's not one political party over another. It's not one service over another. Then there are training disconnects. I was talking to a new LT one time who had been taught to not call in artillery unless he'd taken at least 10% casualties. I spent the better part od a day explaining that he had a fiduciary relationship to the men under him in his command. That included reconning by fire, pre-established interdicting fire missions, peppering an LZ. etc, etc. Folks at all levels who had never been there don't know or understand the what and whys of keeping your casualties as low as you can. The infantry is a team sport....not a spectator sport. ...and that is why Major James Shelton was about the best division operations officers I ever knew.

MonkeyBoy
2013-10-28, 15:45
Large external battery power sources can be heavy.

I've made a usb charger with an altoids tin and uses four AA batteries.

Works like a charm, and you probably carry AA batteries anyway for flashlight.

Lugnut
2013-10-28, 16:25
How about a diagram?

SGT Rock
2013-10-28, 22:10
Check out instructables. I made a similar one that is also a solar charger. On the AT you won't get much sun, but it can also double as an external battery pack.

MonkeyBoy
2013-10-28, 23:25
just google altoids usb charger.

Superman
2013-10-29, 00:12

Careful you don't get the taser directions.

Lugnut
2013-10-29, 00:35

Thanks. Pretty neat. Now on to tasers!

presleyf
2013-10-29, 06:26
You've got to be kidding. What the hell could you possibly have going on that you can't turn your phone off to change batteries. Is it connected to your iron lung?

I don't have problem to turn my phone off. It's just annoying that you have to wait to get the phone restarted every time you change the batteries. So an external battery pack would be a better choice, at least to me.

presleyf
2013-10-29, 06:38
Finally ended up with the RAVPower 14000mAh. Saved $5 bucks with the offered coupon code. Can't wait to see it.

http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-External-14000mAh-Incredible-Motorola/dp/B00EHEEFWY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383039479&sr=8-2&keywords=ravpower+14000