PDA

View Full Version : What keeps you warm?

SGT Rock
2004-01-26, 09:51
What do you use with your hammock to keep warm?

Hog On Ice
2004-01-26, 11:31
how about a selection for a hot water bottle and good slow burning food (ex olive oil)?

SGT Rock
2004-01-27, 02:19
There you go. If you already voted let me know and I'll add one to the hot water bottle count for you.

txulrich
2004-02-29, 10:52
So, those of you using pads and reflectors. What is your configuration? What does it weigh? What is the packable size? How much did it cost you?

Same questions for the underquilts!!

jumpngeorge
2004-02-29, 19:20
Big Agnes Sleeping bags are generously cut and have an integrated sleeve to hold the pad under you where it belongs.

gtdoc
2004-03-08, 00:31
I'm close to perfecting my hammock "bedroom"

1. "Pak-N-Go hammock (light comfy and CHEAP, at REI). I also own a HH AND a Clark, but I like this little beauty best.
2. Feathered Friends Rock Wren (NOT cheap, but customized for me, and I don't have to get out of the bag for midnight sojourns)
3. Pacific Outdoor Isul Mat long - Made for a women "but warm enough for a man." (as the ad goes, or somthing like that) Fits nicely in a hammock too.
4. Bivvywear Thermal jacket from Brigade Quartermasters
5. Ultralight Siliconized tarp (from Galyans sporting goods store of all places)
6. Brigade Quartermaster Camo bungee cords for tarp tye-down
7. Aluminum hook tent stakes (from REI)

I'm thinking of some Integral Designs "hot socks" for extra toasty feet... we'll see.

doc
2004-03-12, 09:09
HOI speaks the gospel.

I always eat a quick bite even if I already had dinner.
Then into my bag(Coleman zero degree.) I use a cheap closed cell 3/4 pad (no name from some gym I used to manage). It works fine and is light.

maryphyl
2004-03-21, 22:25
I feel so ordinary--nothing clever. I have a WM ultralight bag, their flight jacket, the new 1 pound 3/4 length thermarest. I usually sleep out on an emergency reflector blanket.

katesdad
2005-01-29, 15:41
Thought about using the big fat girl next door, man those hams gotta generate some heat!!

But as usual, 'she who must be obeyed' doesn't see how much more enviornmentally friendly it would be.

Oh well, looks like cutting down another windshield reflector again.

Spoiled sport!

Larry
Bedford, UK

peter_pan
2005-01-30, 00:42
Nothing like a Nest and No Sniveller to keep you warm.

Iceman
2005-01-31, 00:00
Aside from our bags, we all carry a bizarro product called the Neat Sheet . The sheets are a breathable microfiberous sheet, with a brushed type finish, sold at Wally'sworld (Walmart). The sheets are marketed as a sheet which to picnic upon. Although not a propietary fabric, they are nonetheless breathable, and relatively waterproof. I have been carrying one rolled under my pack while I hunt. Unroll the sheet and you have a very quiet and dry place to sit, or drape over yourself and you warm right up. We have been carrying them on snow hikes and overnighters, and find they are a fantastic way to minimize heat loss, tossed over yourself and sleeping bag at night, including your arms and head/neck. Not a huge problem with condensation build-up or asphyxiation (brain cell loss), at least me doesn't feel too stupid yet, duh. Yes this ads weight to my pack and no I do not know or care how much. I do remove from the corners of these sheets, the metal disc weights sewn into the corners to reduce blanket chasing. This sheet doesn't look like it would hold water, but believe me, I tested them at home here and they honestly do hold water on their surface without seepage.

This blanket seems to add 10 degrees or more to my normal bag, probably by trapping an extra pocket of air, not by it's insulative (R) factor. Toss one over two sleepers and you get a little bonus share factor. These do come in a couple of sizes and both are under ten bucks. I wrap my kids in them when we sit down during snow trips to cut the wind off of them, so they are ready to play again after a snack. An awesome way to keep warm!

Major Slacker
2005-02-02, 15:40
I use a Campmor 20 down sleeping bag and, inside the bag, a 3/8" generic blue pad, three 30x40x1/8" sheets of closed cell foam (packing material scrounged from work) layered under my torso so they wrap around my arms and shoulders and an "emergency" bivy as a vapor barrier liner. Having it inside the bag is easier than squirming around in the hammock to get everything aligned. If I don't need the VBL I lie on top of it.

If that isn't warm enough, I pack clothing between the VBL and the bag. If that isn't warm enough, I put on a VBL ($10 Coleman rain suit) over a base layer and put on more clothing as needed.

MalTheElder
2005-03-17, 12:39
Well, I started out last night with my basic bag closed underneath me in the hammock, just too keep from cooling off too fast. About 0500 I took it out and slept in the bare hammock, wearing my basic nylon shorts and sleeveless bike jersey.

You see, there was no breeze, and it was down around 70F. The mist was down low, too.

Don't y'all just hate braggarts? :biggrin:

Mal

titanium_hiker
2005-03-17, 17:11
I don't use a pad anymore, too bulky, no dual purpose. I now use a fleece poncho stuffed in the hammock pocket for my insulation, and a sleeping bag as a quilt on top. mmmm...

Turk
2005-03-17, 20:04
I will post my old dependable recipe for warm tent camping as opposed to my current recipe for hammock camping (which you fine gents are helping me decide)

weather conditions:
50-65 degrees F at mid day (open ground)
25-35 degrees F at night
wind conditions range hugely causing various windchilll effects

Shelter: Army Poncho (The Alpha Tent)

Ground pad/tarp: pine/spruce bows shiny side down aprox 3" loft with emergency foil blanket cover

Bag: Custom tailored, 700 fill down, tactel, by local custom outfitter in London Ontario. Their brand is called Pine Ridge. Compression stuff sack included ... packs to 4"X6.5" Comfort sleep @ 34 degrees F.

Inside Bag Liner: 5 X 6 micro fleece blanket from Walmart

Sleepwear: Under Armour Cold gear turtleneck shirt and full length pants. Fleece sweater, Spec Ops recon wrap (on head)

Thats it. The only expensive thing about my cold weather sleep system was the Under Armour. Believe it or not, my custom sleeping bag cost me only $130 bucks and was modeled after a Moonstone bag of the same construction. This system has kept me warm in high winds and light to heavy snowfall. Took me alot of trial and error (mostly error) before I got a really toasty warm sleep system going. The temp range possible in a given day was just too crazy sometimes.

climber11
2005-04-04, 16:02
Howdy.

1. HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym
2. 10 degree, Polorgaurd 3D, 1.1oz ripstop quilt: 20oz
3. 1.5" lightloft underquilt/poncho: 17oz
4. just replaced the underpad/reflector due to the new underquilt.

All of my gear is home made on a $35 craigslist sewing machine. I learned to sew my own hammock, ala speers this year, and then went for the HH with my REI dividend. I am relatively new to camping in my HH, so I can't say for certain how trailworthy my setup is yet. I am scheduled to go up in the mountains for a week next week and we'll see what happens.
Scott

CanoeCamper
2005-07-13, 13:03
Have a cheap +30* sleeping bag and use a windshield reflector wrapped in a fleece blanket underneath.
Am currently configuring a hybrid of the two.

Rosaleen
2006-08-15, 21:09
I clicked on on most of the options, as I modify my kit to the intended trip.

In the winter, I might use a Hennessy Undercover with extra layers of foam and a space blanket, most of my packed clothes, and a sleeping bag used as a quilt. My windshield reflector-wrapped Gatorade bottle filled with hot water is wonderful at my feet after a day of hiking in cold rain.

Most of this summer I carried a half width of single-sided fleece, hemmed on the long ends as casings to hold elastic cording, and with a longitudinal slit near the center so I could use the fleece as a tunic in camp. I also had a sort of a tube open along the longitudinal center that I used as sleeves, both with and without the tunic in camp and in the hammock. Suspending the fleece with the nap up, it held my 1/8" cc foam pad against the hammock for insulation. Inside the hammock, this thin foam would have balled right up, but outside it was great. During the day this cc foam was the back pad in my Mariposa Pack.

I also had my trusty mylar blanket underneath the hammock, but found it was too hot most nights with the fleece and cc foam. For part of this section hike, I swapped the cc foam for BMW TorsoLite pad used inside the hammock with the mylar blanket beneath, jettisoning the fleece blanket but keeping the "sleeves." I also liked this combination.

Today I was doing some backyard experiments and found that the wind seemed to be tickling my underside more than I liked, so I deployed the foil blanket, laid my down bag inside the hammock and had a nice warm nap during a windy rain storm.

I'm thinking I REALLY like having the mylar blanket available as a cheap and light storm shield. I'm experimenting with a Hennessy Adventure Racer. It is a foot shorter and a bit narrower than the standard size Asym Backpacker and the body is made of a 30 denier rip-stop nylon. I never got wet through the bottom of my Asym Backpacker, but the body is a heavier denier nylon with a DWR finish. Part of the experiment is substituting a MLD poncho-tarp for the stock fly. This poncho was marginal for use as a fly over my Asym Backpacker, but seems just about right with the smaller Adventure Racer.
on!

Rosaleen
Play

Take-a-knee
2006-08-16, 00:03
I'm still tenting 'cause my daughter won't let me hike without her and I haven't bought her a hennesy yet. It is too hot to hike here anyway.
My hammock gear is a work in progress, I got everything assembled about the time it got hot in GA so I can't comment on how warm it all is.

1) Jardine Quilt sewn by my darling wife
2) Kickass underquilt
3) 1/4 foam pad from Oware

I also sewed a zipper in the middle (for a head hole) of a Brigade QM thinsulate poncho liner. I plan to put a drawstring in it to make a footsack for use as a quilt. I also plan to sew the tabs on the hammock as Rock suggested to use the poncho liner as an underquilt.

I have a Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack, the combo of the Kickass Underquilt and the Jardine top quilt fills up 2/3 of the pack, and most of it is the Jardine quilt. I ordered the "alpine-upgrade" insulation and it is bulky. I'll probably be getting one of the Jacks top quilts. I figured the ideal stuff sack for the Kickass underquilt to fit in the Granite Gear pack is an 8x16, placed in the bottom of the pack.

I just picked up a small, narrow zipperless Golite sleeping bag for my daughter, I'll just open one side of it to make a quilt of it.

Just Jeff
2006-08-16, 00:32
I just picked up a small, narrow zipperless Golite sleeping bag for my daughter, I'll just open one side of it to make a quilt of it.

Good call - I'm testing a half-zip Wicked Fast right now and I hate not being able to vent like a quilt. I'm either in or out from butt down, so my legs get clammy if it's too warm. Other than that I really like the bag, though. Doesn't look like I'm gonna get it near its temp rating, though...pisser.

SowthEfrikan
2006-08-16, 20:11
What keeps me warm? Hubby.

toddhiker
2006-08-16, 23:20
Thanks to Jacks R Better my HH Backpacker Ultralite is my shelter of choice for most locations in the Southeast.

I use the No Sniveller on top, the Nest underneath. If I expect colder than its range, I can wear fleece top/bottom. If I expect HORRIBLE cold (haven't needed it yet---I'm a Southeast backpacker --- hope to extend my range one day) I'll add a windshield reflector underneath.

:elefant: Bonus: their Weathershield adds some warmth in winter, but is PERFECT alone in summer heat.

Man, their stuff is well-made!

Turk
2006-08-16, 23:40
Feathered Friends custom rock wren upstairs on a HHULBP.
JRB Nest downstairs to keep things toasty. No more pads.

a-spire
2006-08-27, 18:37
For keeping warm, few pieces of gear work as well as Western Mountaineering sleeping bags. We use them for all of our hiking clients (http://www.wildlandtrekking.com), because they are SUPER WARM, pack very small, are durable, and come in many customizable sizes and shapes. Great stuff!!!

Just Jeff
2006-08-27, 21:40
Three posts on the day you join about your company? There's a word for that.