PDA

View Full Version : BMT section overview maps: Use or Lose?

SGT Rock
2013-11-10, 17:45
Quick opinion question...

Working on the 2014-15 guidebook and I've been thinking of getting rid of the "state maps". The three maps that are two pages wide that show the overview of the BMT. I've never been happy with those, and I don't want to spend days creating them from scratch. Of course I also know the trail very well, so to me they are useless. I' looking for opinions from people that have hiked the BMT with my guide or are thinking of hiking the BMT.

Thanks.

Hog On Ice
2013-11-10, 18:05
well I have to say I had no use for those maps - I did however have the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated maps for the overview and how to get to the trail heads

SGT Rock
2013-11-10, 18:13
I've been planning to add some trail/road maps that show the relationship of the roads and trails around Thunder Rock where some people get confused. And maybe something like that for Cherry Log.

I'm also working a couple of ford bypass maps for people that might get scared off by Slickrock Creek and Noland Creek Crossing.

Bearpaw
2013-11-10, 18:38
My experience, having section hiked most regional trails instead of thru-hiking them, is that a broad scale map is helpful in starting the planning process, especially areas to start and stop a hike and places that could offer a resupply or cache point. I would lean toward keeping the map for right now and improve it for the next edition.

SGT Rock
2013-11-10, 19:14
I'm planning to keep the overview map found on page 61, maybe blowing it up. Do you think that would be enough?

hikerboy
2013-11-10, 19:36
ive been using the guide for my hike next spring and really dont see much value in the sectional maps.i bought the national geo maps to supplement the guide. i think you should keep the overview map on p61, its nice to see where the trail goes in relation to the at.an enlarged map would suffice instead of the sectional maps.
i would definitely appreciate any clarification of tricky intersections or road walks.

Hog On Ice
2013-11-10, 20:03
sobo or nobo?

hikerboy
2013-11-10, 20:16
nobo. i sectioned the at from springer to damascus this past spring. i plan on taking the bmt to davenport gap, then continue north to maine on the at.

Superman
2013-11-10, 20:20
nobo. i sectioned the at from springer to damascus this past spring. i plan on taking the bmt to davenport gap, then continue north to maine on the at.

I did that. The BMT through the Smokies is a much nicer hike IMO.

Actually, the BMT to Fontana Dam is a nicer hike because you don't have all the AT swarms on the BMT. It seemed to me that the service providers on the BMT want the hiker business....met some nice folks.

Tin Man
2013-11-10, 20:39
Don't forget to add the CT section. It never seems to make the final print...

Hog On Ice
2013-11-10, 20:42
recommend against the final road walk up to Davenport Gap - it basically sucked - if I were to do it again I would take the road walk from Big Creek area over to where the AT crosses under I40

Superman
2013-11-10, 20:47
I was impressed to see what the folks did with Mountain Mommas.

hikerboy
2013-11-10, 20:50
recommend against the final road walk up to Davenport Gap - it basically sucked - if I were to do it again I would take the road walk from Big Creek area over to where the AT crosses under I40

not very purist of you.
but good advice.
ill check it out.

Hog On Ice
2013-11-10, 20:55
The BMT ends at Big Creek these days so you need to blue blaze something just to get back to the AT and taking the Waterville road over to the bridge over the Pigeon River to hit the AT makes sense to me plus its fairly flat

Bearpaw
2013-11-10, 21:20
not very purist of you.
but good advice.
ill check it out.

Davenport Gap is no longer the northern terminus. It ends at the Big Creek picnic/day use area.

hikerboy
2013-11-10, 21:35
Davenport Gap is no longer the northern terminus. It ends at the Big Creek picnic/day use area.
yeah okay, i see it now.

SGT Rock
2013-11-10, 21:41
I did the road walk up to Davenport Gap. Useless.

I agree with HOI. If there isn't a bunch of rafter traffic a road walk down by the Pigeon River on the way to Standing Bear is the way to go.

SGT Rock
2013-11-10, 21:43
Hikerboy, when are you starting again?

SGT Rock
2013-11-10, 21:51
I've got to update the mileages and pages, so I have started from nearly scratch again. I have learned some lessons from working on my Smoky's Guide (probably released next decade). So I am going to try incorporating some of those things in here. Most are things folks won't notice since they deal with format and print production, but here are the first couple of profile pages for anyone to look at. I'm trying to update details on the trail as I go along using notes sent to me by hikers over the last two years. Ignore "page 2" of the document. I currently have lost the ability to do some of my editing, so a place holder page is in there for now.

hikerboy
2013-11-10, 21:58
Hikerboy, when are you starting again?shooting for april 10th

SGT Rock
2013-11-10, 22:15
Should be a good time. You will probably see lots of hikers for the first 5 miles, then almost nobody for days.

hikerboy
2013-11-10, 22:24
Should be a good time. You will probably see lots of hikers for the first 5 miles, then almost nobody for days.
that will be nice.i figure by the time i hit the at, half of the newbies have already gone home.(although i have to say ive seen people with little or no backpacking experience go the distance).im also hoping to miss the nasty march weather i hiked through this year.it was scary fun, but i prefer to avoid hiking in ice storms wherever possible

Rasty
2013-11-11, 15:11
that will be nice.i figure by the time i hit the at, half of the newbies have already gone home.(although i have to say ive seen people with little or no backpacking experience go the distance).im also hoping to miss the nasty march weather i hiked through this year.it was scary fun, but i prefer to avoid hiking in ice storms wherever possible

Ice is so much fun. Borrow some skates from Lou.

Kanga
2013-11-12, 11:35
honestly, i never even looked at those maps. i did my driving planning at home on the computer and i already knew the area i was hiking in. you're my go-to guy for mileage, elevation, and supply. i have learned to trust NOBODY about water.. (yes, gene, i'm talking about you too)

SGT Rock
2013-11-12, 19:53
More sources are going to be listed as unreliable based on much feedback over the last year. It's funny too considering that this has been one of the wettest years around here.