PDA

View Full Version : Slickrock Creek Ford Bypass pages

SGT Rock
2013-11-15, 18:25
This is an early draft. I plan to make the trail map a less cluttered product by removing the topo lines but also adding some other information like ford sites. It will be in the book near the mile point for the ford site in this facing page lay out.

Superman
2013-11-15, 18:47
I'm guessing that you wanted to say views instead of vies?

SGT Rock
2013-11-15, 19:42
probably. I didn't spell check any of it yet. The grammar is a little off on part of it too.

Superman
2013-11-15, 19:48
probably. I didn't spell check any of it yet. The grammar is a little off on part of it too.

That was my best Camo imitation. 8)

SGT Rock
2013-11-17, 15:52
My graphics editing software showed up yesterday, so today I cleaned this up some. There are still some elements to add, but feel free to offer suggestions.

SGT Rock
2013-11-17, 17:19
Except for what I will write in the introduction and the verbiage at the bottom of the page, I think I have about a 90% product on the Slickrock bypass pages. Here it is with water and trail numbers added. There are two trails that are on some maps and not others that I went ahead and put on here. If you look up near Farr Gap, there is a side trail that was once called Stiffknee Top trail, I think this is where Bearpaw went wrong. The other is a trail up to Bob Bald that I think was called Forked Ridge Trail.

john pickett
2013-11-17, 19:02
I think Bearpaw went wrong long before any of us knew him, jus' sayin'

Rasty
2013-11-17, 19:03
Looks really good

Bearpaw
2013-11-17, 21:41
This new draft is MUCH more readable than the first draft.

On your second draft, as you head down from Farr Gap, my wrong turn came where you see the dotted trail veering northeasteast within the first map inch. Fording the Little Tennessee River makes for a cool story, but it definitely sucked at the time.

If I were to walk this section again, I would simply head over to Bob Bald and past Naked Ground and down. Better views, no Slickrock crossing, and at least I would be going downhill as the trail got brushy.

Superman
2013-11-17, 22:15
I've done that Slickrock fording twice. It was a bit annoying the first time because I kept thinking I was done fording and then there was another, and another. Did I mention it was raining. The second time I knew what to expect, it was nice weather. I had Daisy's bouncing baby boy with me. No worry the second time. I look forward to a third time.

PS Thank you again Bearpaw for all you did for us.

Hog On Ice
2013-11-18, 10:43
Notes on Slickrock ford bypass writeup:

1. it would help to add an arrow for the BMT/Slickrock ford to point out the ford in question out of all the other fords on the map

2. map appears to overlap the first two lines of text under the map causing distorted text characters

3. I seem to remember there being two more fords of Slick Rock Creek trail 42 down stream from Ike Branch junction - ie three fords above the lower falls and one below the falls - map only shows 2 fords - one above and one below the falls - did the trail change?

4. first line of second paragraph "In the event you do find yourself in this situation" might be better stated as "If you feel you need to bypass the ford due to high water"

5. second line of second paragraph "but offers some good vies." last word should be "views"

6. In the discussion of the two options it might be worth noting the mileage of BMT that is bypassed for each option - this should be obvious from the details since the start and end point of each option is identified with the "BMT at mile point ???.?" and simple subtraction gives the answer

7. heading for Option 1 is not shaded like the heading for Option 2 - no big deal since it looks like you are trying to save a line by combining header lines

8. Option 1 mile 2.5 "Junction" misspelled

9. Option 1 mile 4.1 "Int" replace with "Junction" ?

10. add coords for Big Fap Gap parking and possibly for trail junctions

SGT Rock
2013-11-18, 16:33

1. it would help to add an arrow for the BMT/Slickrock ford to point out the ford in question out of all the other fords on the mapGood point

2. map appears to overlap the first two lines of text under the map causing distorted text characters It doesn't overlap, I'm not sure what is causing that distortion, but I noticed it too.

3. I seem to remember there being two more fords of Slick Rock Creek trail 42 down stream from Ike Branch junction - ie three fords above the lower falls and one below the falls - map only shows 2 fords - one above and one below the falls - did the trail change?There is only one ford below and above. HOWEVER, it is possible to hike a trail bed other than the official trail and make those other two fords. I've done that one myself.

4. first line of second paragraph "In the event you do find yourself in this situation" might be better stated as "If you feel you need to bypass the ford due to high water"Good point. I think I am going to move that discussion to the introduction and then use the space under the map for more pertinent information specific to the routes and the wilderness, with a reference to the page in the introduction where this discussion is going to be.

5. second line of second paragraph "but offers some good vies." last word should be "views"I'll fix it.

6. In the discussion of the two options it might be worth noting the mileage of BMT that is bypassed for each option - this should be obvious from the details since the start and end point of each option is identified with the "BMT at mile point ???.?" and simple subtraction gives the answer I was planning to do that, but I started running up against space issue. So I think the discussion will be better in the introduction section of the guide where I have more space to play with, and save that smaller space for map and trail specific data.

7. heading for Option 1 is not shaded like the heading for Option 2 - no big deal since it looks like you are trying to save a line by combining header linesI plan to fix that so there is uniformity on the page

8. Option 1 mile 2.5 "Junction" misspelled

9. Option 1 mile 4.1 "Int" replace with "Junction" ?I've got to decide how I intend to list those so there is some uniformity to it

10. add coords for Big Fap Gap parking and possibly for trail junctionsI was planning on doing that for Big Fat Gap. I hadn't really thought about it for the other junctions.

Tin Man
2013-11-18, 16:40
do you have a page for shuttle service providers?

SGT Rock
2013-11-19, 10:41
I sure do. You want to be listed?

Superman
2013-11-19, 10:48
I sure do. You want to be listed?

He'll do it for a dollar a mile with his new heep.

D'Artagnan
2013-11-19, 14:59
He'll do it for a dollar a mile with his new heep.

Did you mean Jeep or was that a Freudian slip?

Superman
2013-11-19, 15:46
:biggrin:
Did you mean Jeep or was that a Freudian slip?

Oh...did he buy a jeep?:biggrin:

Another Kevin
2013-11-22, 18:46
You plan to fix 'mile point ???.?', which appears in several places?

SGT Rock
2013-11-26, 23:36
Yes, I have to update mileages for the trail in a couple of sections in Georgia, so milepoints are adjusted along the trail by the spreadsheet. Once I figure out the couple of mileage changes, the overall mileages will be ready for entry.

SGT Rock
2013-11-26, 23:49
Updated with mileages and GPS coordinates for Big Fat Gap. I've also labeled the start and ends of the two options.

SGT Rock
2013-11-27, 16:51
I've been tweaking the map to try and space some stuff out and make it look less busy. I've also included the two profile pages where the bypass options connect to show how I plan to make it known where these are. I hope it is painfully obvious, but if it isn't let me know what you think I might add.

Hog On Ice
2013-11-27, 18:12

1. near the option 2 ford there are two trail numbers displayed as [4] - I would have thought that the left one would have been [42] Slickrock Creek Trail and the one on the right would have been [44] Nichols Cove Trail

2. Option 1 mile 2.5 "Junction" misspelled and a blue line overlays the word - replace with "Int" ?

3. Option 1 mile 4.1 "Int" replace with "Junction" ?

4. in the main description the trail numbers are listed as a in the format of #nnn - this should also be done for the trails on the bypass descriptions

5. would using a [nnn] format for trail numbers look better?

SGT Rock
2013-11-27, 20:00

1. near the option 2 ford there are two trail numbers displayed as [4] - I would have thought that the left one would have been [42] Slickrock Creek Trail and the one on the right would have been [44] Nichols Cove TrailThey are separate trails, when I turned them, that somehow truncated the numbers on the printed output. I am not sure why that happened but I just fixed that.

2. Option 1 mile 2.5 "Junction" misspelled and a blue line overlays the word - replace with "Int" ?Missed that again.

3. Option 1 mile 4.1 "Int" replace with "Junction" ?

4. in the main description the trail numbers are listed as a in the format of #nnn - this should also be done for the trails on the bypass descriptions

5. would using a [nnn] format for trail numbers look better?I'm not sure. Good question.