PDA

View Full Version : Blue Grouse Thread; (not the bird)

john pickett
2014-01-13, 11:15
I don't know if this is the appropriate forum for this rant; if moderators wish, I hope they will move it to a more appropriate location. Hmm, maybe I should rethink that. Anyhow, watching the news this morning, I was struck, not for the first time, by how much time the national news organizations; and to a lesser extent local news broadcasts; devote to such self-congradulatory events as the Golden Globe awards broadcast last night. We as a society seem to spend more and more time on celebrity and less on things that affect us all. More time on what a politician said about a self-serving action or statement and less on what that action or statement means for each of us as we carry out our daily lives.
Once I believed Ron Paul, former congressman from Texas, was a cracked pot. Now I am inclined to vote for people who espouse similar views.
Ok, I'm getting down from my soapbox and shutting up.(more or less)

Lone Wolf
2014-01-13, 11:19
ted nugent for president

Crikey
2014-01-13, 11:25
I think the dress Scarlett Johansson wore at the Golden Globes was just fabulous.

Superman
2014-01-13, 11:27
I'm not talking to the politics but to the focus on celebrity. It is far more cost effective to get a large audience for celebrity than it is to gain an audience for issues that we should look at. It's not evil...it's just reality. Ever since the 60s I've listened to the silent majority get put down for not participating in every knee jerk issue. These are the people who are working their butts off to keep this country going. They work, raise kids, etc, etc and shame on them for preferring some entertainment over some issues that they have no control over. They pay their taxes and vote as best they can. A lot of them drink and can't quit smoking but you want to hold them to a standard that regular folks have never gotten to before. There's the world as it should be and the world as it is.

Law Dawg (ret)
2014-01-13, 13:13
<snip> watching the news this morning, I was struck, not for the first time, by how much time the national news organizations; and to a lesser extent local news broadcasts; devote to such self-congradulatory events as the Golden Globe awards broadcast last night. We as a society seem to spend more and more time on celebrity and less on things that affect us all. More time on what a politician said <snip>

Turned off the cable and local TV years ago. Morally it was beginning to feel like bobbing for apples in a septic tank. In the USSR they mostly knew the "news" was government lies...we are just beginning (hopefully) to figure that out. Who was it that said "I met a dishonest politician the other day but I repeat myself"? All just theater designed to distract and mislead us.

Rasty
2014-01-13, 13:55
Turned off the cable and local TV years ago. Morally it was beginning to feel like bobbing for apples in a septic tank. In the USSR they mostly knew the "news" was government lies...we are just beginning (hopefully) to figure that out. Who was it that said "I met a dishonest politician the other day but I repeat myself"? All just theater designed to distract and mislead us.

WWF and Congress are amazingly similar

Sargevining
2014-01-13, 15:51
I'm not talking to the politics but to the focus on celebrity. It is far more cost effective to get a large audience for celebrity than it is to gain an audience for issues that we should look at. It's not evil...it's just reality. Ever since the 60s I've listened to the silent majority get put down for not participating in every knee jerk issue. These are the people who are working their butts off to keep this country going. They work, raise kids, etc, etc and shame on them for preferring some entertainment over some issues that they have no control over. They pay their taxes and vote as best they can. A lot of them drink and can't quit smoking but you want to hold them to a standard that regular folks have never gotten to before. There's the world as it should be and the world as it is.

I'll disagree with the "issues they have no control over" part of this post. As the OP intimates and Law Dawg discusses, its the Media that sets the agenda for what they think we should be talking about.

The alphabet networks spent more time over this last weekend talking about Chris Christie's Bridgegate than they have about Obama's use of the IRS to punish his political opponents in the last six months.

I'll ask you: which issue is the more egregious?

My answer: When Richard Nixon did it, it was a very big deal. When Obama does it, not so much.

I agree with the bobbing for apples in a septic tank sentiment whole heartedly.

Superman
2014-01-13, 16:44
I didn't like Nixon, Osama, Obama, Bush, Hillary, Kissinger, LBJ, JFK, Abe Fucken Lincoln, Harding, Al Gore, people from California and Vermont and most of the people in charge of NH these days. I also don't like any of the media and attorneys. Half our problem is we keep electing bull shit lawyers....what the fuck our we thinking....but then I wasn't talking about politics.

Sargevining
2014-01-13, 16:49
Well, I ain't talking politics per se, either. I'm talking about the media----but I can see how, given the way the media has been acting, talking media might be misconstrued as talking politics.

Law Dawg (ret)
2014-01-13, 19:37
WWF and Congress are amazingly similar

Hmmm...might have to steal that one for a future sig line. :biggrin:

I didn't like...people from California...

Take that back. :aetsch:

Superman
2014-01-13, 20:03

OK, just the ones with an accent.

Rasty
2014-01-13, 20:25

Feel free. I stole it from someone on the radio.

Elder
2014-01-14, 12:02
You do know why they invented the WWF?

For the folks who could not understand the rules at the tractor pull.

Rasty
2014-01-14, 13:48
You do know why they invented the WWF?

For the folks who could not understand the rules at the tractor pull.

What are the rules?

Hog On Ice
2014-01-14, 13:59
see http://www.applecountry.org/Pull%20Rules.html

Crikey
2014-01-14, 14:40
What are the rules?

This is the most important one (from HOI's link):

14. Track official may disqualify any tractor driver for unsportsmanlike conduct, intoxication, or failing to stop when red flagged.

Lugnut
2014-01-14, 14:47
That would disqualify most of us then.

Rasty
2014-01-14, 14:58
see http://www.applecountry.org/Pull%20Rules.html

I don't even wan't to understand those rules.

Superman
2014-01-14, 16:46
Too long to read...never mind.

Sargevining
2014-01-14, 21:08
A guy can race his tractor?

Shoot, I thought the only thing you could do with them 'sides pullin' stumps, plowin' furrows, and balin' hay was to drive them into town with the flatbed to stock up on vittles.

Elder
2014-01-14, 23:40
Not usually a race.
Either hook to a weight and see how far you can drag it.

OR. Hook to each other and drive away. 8)

Superman
2014-01-14, 23:48
I prefer horse draws instead of tractor pulls.

Lugnut
2014-01-15, 00:35

More in keeping with your younger years?

Hog On Ice
2014-01-15, 03:49
haw - then it was the (billy) goat pulls

Superman
2014-01-15, 08:50
More in keeping with your younger years?

It takes team work, timing and a lot of practice to do well at a horse draw. A tractor pull is just hooking on and stepping on the gas.

rhjanes
2014-01-15, 10:22
CLICK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ThSi1wbqU)....more fun with tractors.

and it is totally amazing the amount of "press" given the NJ Bridge issue.

Rasty
2014-01-15, 10:29
CLICK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ThSi1wbqU)....more fun with tractors.

and it is totally amazing the amount of "press" given the NJ Bridge issue.

Truly amazing that it has over 2 million views.

Ray
2014-01-15, 10:45

and it is totally amazing the amount of "press" given the NJ Bridge issue.I haven't been following that bridge story much. So they closed it to have a tractor pull?

Superman
2014-01-15, 10:56
I haven't been following that bridge story much. So they closed it to have a tractor pull?

I've sat in traffic tie ups many times in NJ and NY. It's good to know that Christie caused them. So if I vote for Christie for President it will get him out of that area and free up traffic. OK, he's got my vote.

Elder
2014-01-15, 13:16
haw - then it was the (billy) goat pulls
What part of the Billy do you pull?

Sargevining
2014-01-15, 14:55

Down here our horses don't wear draws.

But I can understand the need for them in NH in the winter.

Superman
2014-01-15, 16:09
It's getting pretty hard to see a horse draw competition. There are not many farmers that still use horses for farming or logging.

Sargevining
2014-01-15, 16:18
Oh---horse draw competition.

What size pencil do they use?

rhjanes
2014-01-15, 16:28
I've sat in traffic tie ups many times in NJ and NY. It's good to know that Christie caused them. So if I vote for Christie for President it will get him out of that area and free up traffic. OK, he's got my vote.same thing Arkansas did some years back.......

Crikey
2014-01-15, 16:28
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/482429/HOW-TO-DRAW-A-HORSE.jpg

Superman
2014-01-15, 16:53
Yankees are so smart they've been taxing farms so much that they go out of business. The farms get replaced with sub-burbs. Sub-urbanites don't look as good as horses wearing eveners and whippletrees....and they can't pull for shit.

Sargevining
2014-01-15, 17:14
Send a team of them suburbanites down here to Texas, then. We'll straighten them out.

But you gotta promise to take them back.

Superman
2014-01-15, 17:16
Send a team of them suburbanites down here to Texas, then. We'll straighten them out.

But you gotta promise to take them back.

They aren't fit for picking up cigarette butts from the side of the road.

Crikey
2014-01-15, 17:30
They're all over the place here in NC, the Raleigh area. The town of Cary used to be a one stoplight town, main street was mostly paving stones. When they built Research Triangle Park, in the 60's, the floodgates opened.

I've been working in RTP for twenty years as an systems engineer. I live out in the country. My drive home in the early days used to be through farm country. Now, it's 20 miles of fucking Town of CARY (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) and fucking stoplights. I drive past subdivisions where the houses are so close together you can touch both of them. How the fuck can you live in a house where you look out two sides and see nothing but the windows of the other houses?

Lugnut
2014-01-15, 17:38
?.......horses wearing eveners and whippletrees....

Those are such archaic terms I doubt they are even in the dictionary. You must be ancient!

Sargevining
2014-01-15, 17:46
I had a whippletree once.

At least that's what she called it.

Just outside the Main Gate at Fort Sill.

Cost me twenny bux.

Superman
2014-01-15, 17:56
I had a whippletree once.

At least that's what she called it.

Just outside the Main Gate at Fort Sill.

Cost me twenny bux.

back in the day I use to give 100 piasters for a good time. That was equal to 60 cents at that time.

Superman
2014-01-15, 17:57
Those are such archaic terms I doubt they are even in the dictionary. You must be ancient!

You seem to know all about them so you must be wicked old.

Lugnut
2014-01-15, 18:39
Never heard of them. I didn't plow with mules when I was a kid.

Superman
2014-01-15, 18:54
Never heard of them. I didn't plow with mules when I was a kid.

mules?

Lugnut
2014-01-15, 19:22
Mules, horses, oxen. Whatever you guys used to plow. :angel:

Hog On Ice
2014-01-15, 19:31
I hear heifers were popular

Superman
2014-01-15, 19:36

Ah, those big brown eyes.

sheepdog
2014-01-15, 19:53

specially the pretty ones

Superman
2014-01-15, 19:55
specially the pretty ones

The perdy ones are into petting.

john pickett
2014-01-15, 21:59
"Whatever you guys used to plow"
In Texas we plow fields; but each to his own (deviation).

D'Artagnan
2014-01-16, 11:31
Mules, horses, oxen. Whatever you guys used to plow. :angel:

Wooly mammoths.

Superman
2014-01-16, 11:45
Wooly mammoths.

Yeah, that Lugnut goes way back.

Lugnut
2014-01-16, 13:44
Ah, those big brown eyes.

I hear you accidentally broke the last one's neck when you pulled her head around to kiss her.

SGT Rock
2014-01-16, 13:59
FWIW, I didn't read this thread until today.

We have a policy against discussing politics. I've seen that become the ruin of more than one website. Luckily our unofficial policy of encouraging thread drift has taken care of that.

D'Artagnan
2014-01-16, 16:13
You can always count on us for thread drift.

Crikey
2014-01-16, 16:16
I like shoes.

Superman
2014-01-16, 16:47
I hear you accidentally broke the last one's neck when you pulled her head around to kiss her.

Man, you've never been French kissed until you've French kissed a cow. They've got about a mile of tongue. The tail alone is worth it.

Crikey
2014-01-16, 17:08
Man, you've never been French kissed until you've French kissed a cow. They've got about a mile of tongue. The tail alone is worth it.

So, who you calling a cow?

Superman
2014-01-16, 17:18
So, who you calling a cow?

Ow, that was a Freudian slip. Did I ever tell you about when I enlisted in the Army in 1965. They sent a bunch of us Yankees down to Fort Jackson, SC. Most of us had never left our northern ghettos so we didn't know whether to poo or go blind when them Rebs went on about having sex with their favorite farm critters. To this day I'm not sure if they were just pulling my leg or longing to collect eggs again. I'm guessing it was just funny as hell but then.....?

Sargevining
2014-01-16, 18:14
Ow, that was a Freudian slip. Did I ever tell you about when I enlisted in the Army in 1965. They sent a bunch of us Yankees down to Fort Jackson, SC. Most of us had never left our northern ghettos so we didn't know whether to poo or go blind when them Rebs went on about having sex with their favorite farm critters. To this day I'm not sure if they were just pulling my leg or longing to collect eggs again. I'm guessing it was just funny as hell but then.....?

Dang.

I was born in Exeter and grew up in Manchester and even I knew that there's no such a thing as a stump broke cow.

Except in East Texas and most of Oklahoma.

Superman
2014-01-16, 18:31
Dang.

I was born in Exeter and grew up in Manchester and even I knew that there's no such a thing as a stump broke cow.

Except in East Texas and most of Oklahoma.

We played Exeter when I played soccer for Austin Cate Academy.

saimyoji
2014-01-16, 18:34
My brother went to exeter academy. He's a big douche. Maybe ray could do something with him.

Sargevining
2014-01-16, 18:34
We played Exeter when I played soccer for Austin Cate Academy.

Well I was born in Exeter b/c there was no hospital in Raymond.

DesertReprobate
2014-01-16, 18:39
The Guernsey cows have the prettiest eyes.

Superman
2014-01-16, 19:22
My brother went to exeter academy. He's a big douche. Maybe ray could do something with him.

My brothers a bigger douche and he didn't even go to Exeter.

Superman
2014-01-16, 19:23
Well I was born in Exeter b/c there was no hospital in Raymond.

We also played Raymond in soccer.

Sargevining
2014-01-16, 23:24
When I lived in NH none of the High Schools played kickball.

Superman
2014-01-16, 23:29
When I lived in NH none of the High Schools played kickball.

Raymond still plays soccer...as does Exeter.

D'Artagnan
2014-01-17, 10:19
We also played Raymond in soccer.

Everybody loves Raymond. (Groan...)

Superman
2014-01-17, 10:28
Everybody loves Raymond. (Groan...)

Both Raymond and Exeter have always put up strong teams. The school I went to is now a police, national guard training facility now. NH used to be full of small private schools. Taxes and insurance closed most of them. Those private schools were a great asset to local towns. The price they paid in tuition to the private schools was a drop in the bucket compared to when they had to fund a school.

john pickett
2014-01-17, 17:09
Exeter? Manchester? I never heard of Exeter, Texas! Not Manchester neither! I was born in Hermann Hospital and raised about 30 miles North of Happy, Texas!
Happy, Texas; the town without a frown. That's maybe 40 to 60 miles North of Tulia, Texas; the town without a toothache. So called because the natural fluoride in the municipal water system would overcome any and all dental caries.

Superman
2014-01-17, 17:15
Exeter? Manchester? I never heard of Exeter, Texas! Not Manchester neither! I was born in Hermann Hospital and raised about 30 miles North of Happy, Texas!
Happy, Texas; the town without a frown. That's maybe 40 to 60 miles North of Tulia, Texas; the town without a toothache. So called because the natural fluoride in the municipal water system would overcome any and all dental caries.

Holy bat shit, did you play in the Uncle Sam Band?

Sargevining
2014-01-17, 17:45
I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could. I spent the first 19 years of my life having the boogers freeze in my nose every time I stepped outside between Thanksgiving and Easter. I've spent the last 42 down here.

Superman
2014-01-17, 17:53
I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could. I spent the first 19 years of my life having the boogers freeze in my nose every time I stepped outside between Thanksgiving and Easter. I've spent the last 42 down here.

How do you get your boogers froze down there?

Sargevining
2014-01-17, 18:37
How do you get your boogers froze down there?

I put them next to my ex wife's heart.

Superman
2014-01-17, 18:41
I put them next to my ex wife's heart.

Oh lord that's funny. I'm guessing your ex and mine could be sisters...at least in the coven.

john pickett
2014-01-17, 20:32
Uncle Sam Band? I played Sousaphone in my high school band and orchestra. I served in the USNR from 1971 to 1974 as a corpsman. Great Lakes RTC and Hospital Corps School August 1971 to February 1972, then 2 years at Balboa Park Naval Hospital. (It was Balboa Park when I arrived, Naval Hospital San Diego by the time I left.) That what you mean? Or is your (I assume) red-headed wife forcing you to ask these questions?

Superman
2014-01-17, 20:39
Uncle Sam Band? I played Sousaphone in my high school band and orchestra. I served in the USNR from 1971 to 1974 as a corpsman. Great Lakes RTC and Hospital Corps School August 1971 to February 1972, then 2 years at Balboa Park Naval Hospital. (It was Balboa Park when I arrived, Naval Hospital San Diego by the time I left.) That what you mean? Or is your (I assume) red-headed wife forcing you to ask these questions?

No, I googled Happy, Texas and a story about the high school band came up. The band is called the Uncle Sam Band.

Sargevining
2014-01-17, 23:28
Sure it wasn't the Sam I Am Band?

Superman
2014-01-17, 23:29
Sure it wasn't the Sam I Am Band?

They were very proud of the long history of their band.

Sargevining
2014-01-17, 23:37
Oh lord that's funny. I'm guessing your ex and mine could be sisters...at least in the coven.

Well, it ain't original. Its the title of a Country song by a Texas artist.

I prolly shouldn't embarrass you with talk about musicians from Texas. We've got Willie Nelson, Stevie Ray, Janis Joplin, Lightnin Hopkins, Steve Miller, Johnny and Edgar Winters----

Who you got?

Ray Lamontange and Aerosmith.

sheepdog
2014-01-17, 23:39
I'll never smoke weed with Willie again.

Sargevining
2014-01-17, 23:42
Ah.

Another Texas Music fan.

Superman
2014-01-17, 23:45
Well, it ain't original. Its the title of a Country song by a Texas artist.

I prolly shouldn't embarrass you with talk about musicians from Texas. We've got Willie Nelson, Stevie Ray, Janis Joplin, Lightnin Hopkins, Steve Miller, Johnny and Edgar Winters----

Who you got?

Ray Lamontange and Aerosmith.

I don't know your musicians any better than I know if there are any in NH. What you don't know is that musicians don't mean anything to me.

sheepdog
2014-01-17, 23:46
George Strait rules!! So does smoked brisket.

Superman
2014-01-17, 23:47
George Strait rules!! So does smoked brisket.

Never heard of them.

sheepdog
2014-01-17, 23:50
Did you like music when you could hear?

Sargevining
2014-01-17, 23:57
I bet he was an Steve and Edie fan.

sheepdog
2014-01-17, 23:58
ouch...

Superman
Did you like music when you could hear?

I liked music up until 1 April 1967.

Superman

They were good.

sheepdog
2014-01-17, 23:59
Must of been a nasty April fools joke.

Superman
2014-01-18, 00:04
Must of been a nasty April fools joke.

We killed over 500 in one day. It was....busy. I lost my hearing for two days. It came back but it's never been right since. Charlie had over run 3 or 4 bunkers, I had to close the perimeter. Then the Recon Platoon moved forward and killed the VC in the perimeter and re-took the bunkers. Thank god, A and B company had saved the Recon Platoon the previous day.

sheepdog
2014-01-18, 00:11
war is noisy as shit huh?? seems like terrifying would be enough. but its gotta be noisy too.

Thanks for all you did Bro!!

Superman
2014-01-18, 00:31
war is noisy as shit huh?? seems like terrifying would be enough. but its gotta be noisy too.

Thanks for all you did Bro!!

I wasn't alone. What folks don't know is that there was a high level of volunteerism all the way through the war. Our media seemed to have an aversion to talking about guys that refused to be medevac'd so they could stay in the fight. They said we didn't know what we were fighting for...bull shit. Guys don't extend to stay in the shit, re-enlist to stay if they don't know what it's about. Re-enlist to keep coming back if they don't know what it's about. I did two tours and volunteered for another but it was denied. I couldn't believe that they wouldn't let me go back.

Lugnut
2014-01-18, 00:39

Lugnut
2014-01-18, 00:41

More likely Rudy Valle.

Superman
2014-01-18, 00:53
More likely Rudy Valle.

Rudy Valle was good. I have Sirius radio in my Blazer. I have it set for music from the 40s, 50s and some 60s. Everything after that sounds like noise. I also like blue collar radio and Fox news on Sirius.

rhjanes
2014-01-18, 11:38
Buddy Holly, Lyle Lovitt, Roy Orbison, Don Henley, Chris Tomlin, Waylon Jennings (who lost out on a coin toss for taking the plane ride that killed Holly), Buck Owens, T-Bone Walker, (did you mention Jimmy Vaughan?), Boz Scaggs..
then we can get past rock and country and go blue grass, tejano, etc.

Sargevining
2014-01-18, 12:16
Buddy Holly, Lyle Lovitt, Roy Orbison, Don Henley, Chris Tomlin, Waylon Jennings (who lost out on a coin toss for taking the plane ride that killed Holly), Buck Owens, T-Bone Walker, (did you mention Jimmy Vaughan?), Boz Scaggs..

T Bone Walker, Buddy Guy, Gatemouth Brown, Doyle Bramhall, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, ZZ Top, Albert Collins, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Freddy King, Angela Strehli, Marcia Ball, Carolyn Wonderland----and those are just the blues Artists folks have heard of.

And Texas is where the Tedeschi-Trucks Band makes its home They weren't born here, but they got here as fast as they could.

Superman
2014-01-18, 15:44

Yeah but what do all those folks do for a living?

Bearpaw
2014-01-18, 16:34

T Bone Walker, Buddy Guy, Gatemouth Brown, Doyle Bramhall, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, ZZ Top, Albert Collins, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Freddy King, Angela Strehli, Marcia Ball, Carolyn Wonderland----and those are just the blues Artists folks have heard of.

And Texas is where the Tedeschi-Trucks Band makes its home They weren't born here, but they got here as fast as they could.

Don't forget Butthole Surfers, Ghoultown, or Reverend Horton Heat.

rcli4
2014-01-18, 16:34
Added all together they might make one Lynyrd Skynyrd .

Ray
2014-01-18, 16:53
My last hometown in Texas was West Columbia, The First Capital of Texas.

I was raised in Pasadena, The Town Without A Slogan But If It Had One It'd Be In Spanish.

'n Ah'm uh Ayin Eyum gradjuit, Kemmikul Enjuneiryn, '79

Roche
2014-01-21, 09:43
back in the day I use to give 100 piasters for a good time. That was equal to 60 cents at that time.So the going rate was a buck an inch?

Superman
2014-01-21, 09:50
So the going rate was a buck an inch?

This is an old joke....I'm sure you've heard it. A guy walks into house of pleasure to get some. The madam takes a look at his little equipment and asks him who he's going to satisfy with that. He says "me."

john pickett
2014-01-21, 20:49
In Superman's case, 2 dollars an inch.