PDA

View Full Version : New dehydrater...

Oneriver
2004-02-17, 10:34
no istructions...was given a dehydrator, one without a fan..I have never tried one before and was surfing the cooking/food section of this board and noticed a reference to dehydrated refried beans...how does one dehydrate refried beans??.certinely not on a dehydrator rack.

john pickett
2004-02-17, 10:50
Oneriver,
Cook any kind of beans,(pinto or other according to taste, I like 15 bean combo for soup) and process to smooth paste with teriyaki sauce or other seasoning (I like chili powder). Place bean paste on non-stick pan or fruit leather sheet in dehydrator or oven on low with door cracked. Dry till dry. Reconstitute with equal part hot water and dash of olive oil. Spread on corn tortillas.
John Pickett

Oneriver
2004-02-18, 10:10
John..Thanks for the advise I'll make some up this weekend, but I think I'm guna have to use more than 15 beans..

Oneriver
2004-03-01, 15:45
What would the process be for dehydrating hambuger/ground beef....anyone care to share..?

PKH
2004-03-02, 08:01
Well, it's easy. First of all, buy the leanest hamburger you can find. In the drying business, fat is your enemy. Simply fry it up and drain all the fat and moisture you can. It helps to have a roll of paper towel handy - I use this to press the cooked meat and absorb any moisture/fat that I can't drain. Seasoning is up to you. You can add spices during the frying stage, or add them in the woods when you're cooking. The dried hamburger will be hard to the touch (little nuggets and crumbs) but rehydrates amazingly quickly, typically before rice, pasta or vegetables are ready. The texture will be slightly different than with fresh hamburger - just a little chewy - but the flavour should be identical. You don't need much to really perk up an otherwise bland camping meal. I store mine in the freezer for months and it's fine and have carried it for eight days on summer trails with no sign of spoilage, although naturally this is something you'd want to keep an eye on. Hope this has helped.

Cheers,

PKH

fly.fast
2004-03-02, 21:17
PKH is right. Dehydrated ground beef is very easy. It turns out well. I've tried a couple of variations that work fine.

First, I've used dehydrated buffalo. That's available at our local meat counter. Taste is very similar to beef and the fat content is very low. So, it keeps well.

Second, I've also used my ground meat to make chili and spaghetti sauce. I will simmer it longer than usual to reduce the moisture and then sperad the chili or sauce on sheets of parchment paper (from the grocery store) spread on my dehydrator's trays. I prefer chili at home with a course ground beef but the fine ground works very well for a meal that rehydrates fairly quickly on the trail.

Oneriver
2004-03-03, 10:49
Thnx fly.fast.....buffalo is a good idea, I'll use that..I'm leaving March 26th for Arizona Blue Range Primitive Area for a 12 day hike...I haven't been out of Alaska for awhile and thought I would do a road trip and hike some new places in the lower 48. Sounds like the weather is closing in on some parts of the southwest..really don't want to run into snow down that way, we have 86 inches up here and I could use a break...

flyfisher
2004-03-03, 16:01
PHK responded about dehydrating ground beef:

Originally posted by PKH
Well, it's easy. First of all, buy the leanest hamburger you can find. In the drying business, fat is your enemy. Simply fry it up and drain all the fat and moisture you can.
PKH

My only addition is that I brown the ground beef, drain the fat and then add a couple cups of water, bring it to a boil, then drain the water off. Most of the remaining fat drains off with the water.

This gets the fat content of the beef much lower. I can also start with higher fat content ground beef without worrying about it going rancid.

Then I dehydrate those chunks and store it in the freezer. It keeps for years -- probably would keep for years without the freezing.