PDA

View Full Version : BMT parking questions

Hog On Ice
2014-02-25, 15:39
My next section hike is coming up (Ocoee to Tapoco and maybe the new section) and I have a few questions about possible parking spots between White Oak Flats Rd (mp 105.3 per 2012 guide) and Farr Gap (mp 176.6 / 2012). Initially I am scoping this out as a basecamp/car to car hikes where most of the hikes would be dayhikes.

the parking spots listed include that I am considering that I have no knowledge of:

mp 119.9 Coker Creek FS 228 or mp 114.2 Towee Creek picnic area

mp 128.6 Unicoi Gap, Joe Brown Hwy or mp 129.4 FS 2114 gate

mp 137.4 North end of 4WD road

mp 151.4 Tellico River Rd

The questions I have are mainly where I list 2 possibilities which one would be better, how tough is it finding the spot given that GPS is less than reliable as I found on the trip to Whigg meadow, how many vehicles can park there, is it OK to park overnight in the picnic area, any known problems with car clouts or vandalism, and any other things y'all think I should know like road closures affecting access etc.

SGT Rock
2014-02-25, 16:07
My next section hike is coming up (Ocoee to Tapoco and maybe the new section) and I have a few questions about possible parking spots between White Oak Flats Rd (mp 105.3 per 2012 guide) and Farr Gap (mp 176.6 / 2012). Initially I am scoping this out as a basecamp/car to car hikes where most of the hikes would be dayhikes.

the parking spots listed include that I am considering that I have no knowledge of:

mp 119.9 Coker Creek FS 228 or mp 114.2 Towee Creek picnic area
119.9 is next to two campsites with picnic tables and lots of water. There is extra parking, I think it would be good for about 5 cars total depending on how people parked.
114.2 has lots of extra parking spots but it recently became a fee area so you have to pay to park there. But it does have a toilet, picnic tables, trash cans, and about 0.2 miles north on the BMT past a creek crossing is a good hammock campsite. Another place to consider is Big Bend picnic area which I think is not a fee site but does have latrines and trash but no longer has tables. About 0.4 south on the BMT there is a good campsite right on the river but it does see more traffic than the one north of Towee. I know GPS can get you to Big Bend and Towee, I cannot remember if they generally have the dirt road out to Coker Creek camping area.

mp 128.6 Unicoi Gap, Joe Brown Hwy or mp 129.4 FS 2114 gate
Unicoi Gap has parking for about 5 cars in a parking area off the park, no real good place to camp nearby. The water source for that point ain't great, but I listed it as it is in a really dry stretch, so I recommend not depending on the water there if you don't have to. The gate for the other spot is right there at the parking area, but in my experience will not be locked. If you have a 4WD you can drive to the 129.4 spot and camp there next to your car - but bring water. I've car camped there and then parked my truck the next morning at Unicoi Gap for a section hike. GPS will get you to Unicoi Gap but won't list the other.

mp 137.4 North end of 4WD road Unless they have fixed it, this 4WD is not going to be accessible unless you have a very substantial 4WD or a ATV. Sandy Gap is a better spot at this point. You cannot miss Sandy Gap as it looks like the road dead ends here. There is room to park about 4 vehicle here and there are some campsites about 100-200 yards south of the gap on the BMT. I've also camped right at the parking area and never seen a soul. GPS may get you to Sandy Gap (mine does) but won't find the 4WD road.

mp 151.4 Tellico River Rd
That is a great place to park. You can probably get about 10-15 cars there and there are picnic tables, trash cans, water, and latrines. To camp, cross north on the BMT and walk about 0.2 miles to a campsite on the creek that will remind you of that big site on Slickrock Creek. GPS will get you right there. Look for the physical address of the Fish Hatchery which is very close to the picnic area.

The questions I have are mainly where I list 2 possibilities which one would be better, how tough is it finding the spot given that GPS is less than reliable as I found on the trip to Whigg meadow, how many vehicles can park there, is it OK to park overnight in the picnic area, any known problems with car clouts or vandalism, and any other things y'all think I should know like road closures affecting access etc.

Hog On Ice
2014-02-25, 18:51
Thanks Rock, I was not aware that Sandy Gap also had parking - actually I was not sure which of the two was associated with the parking icon in the guide so this is good to know. The water situation is one of the reasons I am considering a car to car hike for this section - makes it easy to cache water/food/gear at the cars.

Bearpaw
2014-02-25, 20:18
Let me know if I can help. I'm a half hour from the Ocoee crossing and less than 20 minutes from the Hiawassee. If I can help you with shuttling, give me a heads up.

Hog On Ice
2014-02-25, 22:30
I'll keep that in mind - at the moment I am sure there will be at least one other vehicle (Mother Nature and Smokestack) so we will be self shuttling. Not real sure which way we will be going or how much backpacking will be done but anyways thank you

SGT Rock
2014-02-26, 13:52
There are numerous camping sites along the Tellico River you could use for camping between hikes.

Hog On Ice
2014-03-09, 18:34
some more parking questions - after revising the plan the following have been proposed as parking spots

98.4 Kimsey Mountain Highway - 1 night

109.3 Hwy 30/hwy 315 - 2 nights

188.5 HWY 129 at Deals Gap - 4 nights

How do these parking spots look?

SGT Rock
2014-03-09, 21:24
Kimsey Mountain Highway should be fine. It sees very little traffic. You should be able to park right under the powerlines there. Getting there is slow usually as the "highway" is 1.5 lanes wide of gravel road.

At 109.3 I would use the Forest Service parking area there by the trestle. Look at the Reliance area map in the guide for a reference point. I've left a car there for days.

188.5 Hwy 129 the parking isn't great, especially if you do it between March 15 and about October 31 because of the Dragon car/motorcycle traffic. I would recommend parking at a parking area sort of across from the NC 28 on the opposite side of the road from the motorcycle lodge. It is about 1 mile or road walk from the 188.5 to that intersection if I remember right. Personally I would park at the Slickrock parking area for my section and call it done right there and not hike the section from there to US129. It is in bad shape from growth coming back after the fire up there. The maintainer is focused on getting the new re-location opened and has no intent of spending any time on that section which we will be abandoning in May.

Hog On Ice
2014-03-09, 23:32
Thanks Rock

Traffic Jam
2014-11-25, 14:12
Hey ya'll, have there been any changes in the parking situation at Unicoi Gap since the original post? Is it still a safe place to leave a vehicle for several days?

SGT Rock
2014-11-25, 14:35
Yes it is. I haven't heard of any issues there and have left a vehicle there for multiple days.

Traffic Jam
2014-11-25, 15:56
Thanks for the info.

SGT Rock
2014-11-25, 16:52
Did you get a chance to get up to Farr Gap again?

Traffic Jam
2014-11-25, 20:20
Did you get a chance to get up to Farr Gap again?

Not yet but I'll return soon.

Traffic Jam
2016-01-02, 11:53
How is the parking on Old Field Gap Rd. at mile 181?

Hog On Ice
2016-01-02, 13:57
basically its a pull over along side the paved road - maybe enough room for 2 vehicles - its flat and somewhat grassy as I recall

Traffic Jam
2016-01-02, 17:27
Thank you.

Traffic Jam
2016-01-05, 17:58
basically its a pull over along side the paved road - maybe enough room for 2 vehicles - its flat and somewhat grassy as I recall

Exactly right, here is a picture in case anyone is interested in parking here.

Beowulf
2016-01-11, 09:56
Traffic Jam, There is parking at that point, and we have good signage. If you would park there more than a couple of days, let me know (828-479-2503) and we can shuttle you or your car to a better spot. Probably safe, but that area is a very low plow priority if it snows.
How is the parking on Old Field Gap Rd. at mile 181?

Traffic Jam
2016-01-11, 11:27
Traffic Jam, There is parking at that point, and we have good signage. If you would park there more than a couple of days, let me know (828-479-2503) and we can shuttle you or your car to a better spot. Probably safe, but that area is a very low plow priority if it snows.

Thank you! I'll be going back to that area in the next few months.