PDA

View Full Version : brining corn on the cob before grilling

Hog On Ice
2014-10-12, 11:55
Is it common practice to brine corn on the cob before grilling or steaming?

I had not heard of this before and I was wondering if it was a well known practice? I normally would just grill the corn in the husk then add butter and salt after the grilling was done.

SGT Rock
2014-10-12, 13:56
I've never heard of it. I don't add salt to corn anyway, so I don't think that would be something I'd be likely to try

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Kanga
2014-10-12, 14:12
i've heard of it but i've never done it. seems like an unnecessary step.

saimyoji
2014-10-12, 14:52
Not brining but ive soaked it in water for a while before grilling. Steams it more than grills it.

SGT Rock
2014-10-12, 16:12
How long do you soak it? I was thinking about when I've hiked in corn still in the husk and cooked it in the coals. Maybe dipping it in the creek about 30 minutes before cooking it would be a good idea.

saimyoji
2014-10-12, 16:48
I left it in the bucket for an hour or so but maybe 20-30min is enough.

Belew
2014-10-12, 18:01
Maybe if you have corn that dried out in the stalk.

SGT Rock
2014-10-12, 19:06
this link says to soak about 30 minutes and cook for about 20 minutes on a grill. They have you wrapping in foil for coal cooking. I'm use to putting it in the fire with just the husk for about 15 minutes.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/442410-how-to-roast-ears-of-corn-over-a-fire/

Skidsteer
2014-10-12, 19:36
WE had corn roasts every year growing up.

Dig a shallow pit, burn wood down to coals, soak corn a couple hours in clean water for a couple hours and cook in the coals for a few minutes.

Delicious.

Ray
2014-10-12, 22:22
I wouldn't think brining would add more moisture to the corn ears than plain water. Salt usually pulls moisture out of vegetables. That's why eggplant is often salted then rinsed before cooking, it pulls some of the bitterness out of it.

Now meat's different because brining ... does stuff involving words like 'osmotic pressure', blah, blah blah. It drives moisture into meat and is useful for drier cuts like poultry breast or pork loins. I never cook turkey without brining anymore.

But raw corn kernels have a hard shell that would be more difficult to penetrate. Soaking would hydrate the husks but I'd think brining would only make it unnecessary to salt the corn before eating it.

SGT Rock
2014-10-12, 22:45
The master has spoken.

Tin Man
2014-10-13, 09:27
Planning to cook on coals on the PA AT later this week;

Friday Night: Chicken w/sliced taters/carrots/onions and butter in foil
Saturday Morning: Sausage, peppers, onions, mushroom omelets
Saturday Night: Rib-eye steak on the backpack grill; corn would be a nice addition
Sunday Morning: Blueberry pancakes with bacon and sausage

we are slacking from cars with coolers, so no dried food this trip

saimyoji
2014-10-13, 10:12
Where are you hiking?

Tin Man
2014-10-13, 10:31
Where are you hiking?

Carlisle PA south

Jim Henderson
2014-10-13, 14:13
Yeah I have done corn on the grill various ways. It all depends on how you like your corn. Dry in the husk is quick and easy but can burn or dry out the kernals if you don't pay attention. Soaked in salt water(or plain) for some time leads to pre salted moist corn. The water steams the kernals more than allowing to be grilled. It gives you a bit more leeway on time as far as leaving it on the grill.

A word regarding brining poultry.

For years I water brined my turkey and chicken. Very tasty and moist but occasionally rubbery.

Try DRY Brining, do a web search. This leads to much more flavorful meat that is'nt water logged or rubbery. Essentially you clean and dry the bird and then liberally salt it(maybe seasoned salt), inside and out. Then seal it in plastic wrap or a tight ziplock bag. Depending on size, it takes a day or two. What happens is the salt draws out the natural moisture of the bird, mixes it with the salt/seasoning. Then after awhile the bird draws the liquid back into the meat, taking the flavoring with it. You know the brining is done when the liquid disappears. So, no extra moisture is added, the bird essentially brines itself. It is also easier and less space using than water brine.

Much better results in my opinion.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson