PDA

View Full Version : Farr Gap

Beowulf
2014-11-15, 08:57
A few weeks ago, there was discussion of confusion at Farr Gap. There is a new trail sign posted there that should eliminate the uncertainty.5732

Traffic Jam
2014-11-15, 09:26
Thank you! I never got to the spot where you took that photo. I took the trail immediately to the left of the parking area. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to return this week but hope to in the near future.

SGT Rock
2014-11-15, 11:09
I didn't go this weekend either due to COLD.

Superman
2014-11-15, 12:37
Thank you! I never got to the spot where you took that photo. I took the trail immediately to the left of the parking area. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to return this week but hope to in the near future.

I've looked at your avatar with a magnifying glass and still can't tell what it is. What the hell is it?:angel:

Traffic Jam
2014-11-15, 13:36
I've looked at your avatar with a magnifying glass and still can't tell what it is. What the hell is it?:angel:

...and your point is? :smile:

Superman
2014-11-15, 13:40
Are you severely deformed? Just askin.

SGT Rock
2014-11-15, 14:01
It's purple. Duh. I don't know why you need a magnifying glass for that.

Traffic Jam
2014-11-15, 15:52
Are you severely deformed? Just askin.

No, just a little shy.

Superman
2014-11-15, 16:33
No, just a little shy.

Me too.:angel:

john pickett
2014-11-17, 10:16
But you have a really, really GOOD reason to be shy, Sup. Young attractive women like T.J., not so much.

Crikey
2014-11-17, 14:02
There needs to be new signage at Deep Gap. Come to think of it, Low Gap too. Like New Hope churches, there's only one, right?

Ray
2014-11-17, 18:50
There needs to be new signage at Deep Gap. Come to think of it, Low Gap too. Like New Hope churches, there's only one, right?Right...

I've been working on a theory about how to calculate the critical mass of Southern Baptist churches. It all begins with First Baptist Church. Then some portion of the congregation gets pissed off at the other portion over something important like should the collection plates be passed left to right or right to left and leaves to form "New Hope Baptist Church". Then half of them have a falling out about whether the windows can be stained glass or not so half leaves and forms "Friendship Baptist Church". And that holds until a major controversy arises over whether or not the church building should have a steeple, giving rise to "Antioch Baptist Church" and then....

Just sayin' that on the 3 mile drive down the road my subdivision's on I pass New Hope and Friendship Baptist, Antioch Baptist is a quarter mile past my subdivision and First Baptist is, of course, in town. There's also one more Southern Baptist style church but that congregation doesn't even believe in names and meets in the lumber yard building behind a hardware store.

You think I'm kidding? Check out Cades Cove in the Smokey Mtns Nat Park. One Methodist Church, two Baptist.

sheepdog
2014-11-17, 20:03
Right...

I've been working on a theory about how to calculate the critical mass of Southern Baptist churches. It all begins with First Baptist Church. Then some portion of the congregation gets pissed off at the other portion over something important like should the collection plates be passed left to right or right to left and leaves to form "New Hope Baptist Church". Then half of them have a falling out about whether the windows can be stained glass or not so half leaves and forms "Friendship Baptist Church". And that holds until a major controversy arises over whether or not the church building should have a steeple, giving rise to "Antioch Baptist Church" and then....

Just sayin' that on the 3 mile drive down the road my subdivision's on I pass New Hope and Friendship Baptist, Antioch Baptist is a quarter mile past my subdivision and First Baptist is, of course, in town. There's also one more Southern Baptist style church but that congregation doesn't even believe in names and meets in the lumber yard building behind a hardware store.

You think I'm kidding? Check out Cades Cove in the Smokey Mtns Nat Park. One Methodist Church, two Baptist.

I had been ship wreaked on a deserted island. Five years later when I was rescued there were five buildings in my "town" one was my house. The other four were my churches. I had to split with myself due to doctrinal differences.

SGT Rock
2014-11-17, 21:25
Right...

Where do the missionary baptist churches fit in?

Lugnut
2014-11-17, 21:36
The road from 19E over to Unicoi has 7 or 8 different denominations of Baptist churches. That has to be the most argumentative place around.

DesertReprobate
2014-11-17, 22:11
A couple of years ago I drove from Harrison, AR to Tulsa, OK. Going through a small town I counted 5 different Baptist churches. Whole town couldn't have had more than 500 residents.

Roche
2014-11-18, 08:12
Most likely everybody has a seat on Christmas.

D'Artagnan
2014-11-18, 10:42
Where do the missionary baptist churches fit in?

I think of them as kind of a classic, you know, sort of a go to style, but a little boring after awhile.

Ray
2014-11-18, 18:49
Where do the missionary baptist churches fit in?Speaking strictly about Cades Cove, where one of the Baptist churches is "Missionary", back then it meant that they supported sending out missionaries to spread the Good Word to the unwashed masses while the non-missionaries thought that those that Gawd wanted to be saved would manage to find their own way to the True Word. Overlaid on that was the problem of the returning Confederate veteran soldiers who were not welcomed back into their original church, I forget which one that was.

So the surprising thing then is not that there were two Baptist churches in that little clearing but that there weren't more.

As far as I know from what has been reported, neither one handled snakes. So there's that.

Superman
2014-11-18, 19:10
Speaking strictly about Cades Cove, where one of the Baptist churches is "Missionary", back then it meant that they supported sending out missionaries to spread the Good Word to the unwashed masses while the non-missionaries thought that those that Gawd wanted to be saved would manage to find their own way to the True Word. Overlaid on that was the problem of the returning Confederate veteran soldiers who were not welcomed back into their original church, I forget which one that was.

So the surprising thing then is not that there were two Baptist churches in that little clearing but that there weren't more.

As far as I know from what has been reported, neither one handled snakes. So there's that.

That song that says "when Johnny comes marching home again will give him a hardy welcome" was not exactly how it happened. A whole lot of veterans from both sides didn't feel that hardy welcome so they went west. We used to have hermits up here that kids were told to avoid them. Most of them were veterans from one war or another that didn't feel the hardy welcome. Just sayin.

sheepdog
2014-11-18, 21:25
http://youtu.be/eQt5WPQTwN0
eQt5WPQTwN0
You gonna pull those pistols or whistle dixi.