PDA

View Full Version : Kennebec River Schedule for 2015

atraildreamer
2015-01-01, 16:00
KENNEBEC FERRY SCHEDULE FOR 2015

(No scheduled service before May 1 and after October 31, 2015)

-------------

Days of Operation:

May 1 through May 21.

Call ahead. Time and weather permitting. $50 fee.
----------------

May 22 through July 9. 7 days a week.

Morning Start: 9 AM Morning Finish: 11:00 AM
Afternoon Start: No service. Afternoon Finish: No service.
--------------

July 10 through September 30. 7 days a week.

Morning Start: 9:00 AM Morning Finish: 11:00 AM
Afternoon Start: 2:00 PM Afternoon Finish: 4:00 PM
----------------

October 1 through October 12. 7 days a week.

Morning Start: 9:00 AM Morning Finish: 11:00 AM
Afternoon Start: No service. Afternoon Finish: No service.
----------------

October 13 through October 31.

Call ahead. Time and weather permitting. $50 fee.

-----------------------

Ferry service is run by:

David P. Corrigan
Registered Maine Guide
Fletcher Mountain Outfitters
82 Little Houston Brook Road
Concord Twp., Maine 04290
207-672-4879

Ferry is a free service May 22 through October 12 during regularly
scheduled hours of operation. Otherwise, 1 prior notification and
a $50 fee (up to 2 hikers) is required.

Hikers need to be at the ferry landings at least 30 minutes before
closing to allow the ferry operator to finish all runs within the
scheduled times of operation.

Hikers will be required to sign a release form, wear a life jacket and follow the instructions of the ferry operator. If river conditions or weather make the crossing dangerous, in the judgement of the ferry operator, the service will be discontinued until conditions improve.

From: http://www.matc.org/for-hikers/kennebec-river-ferry/
[

Superman
2015-01-01, 16:04
Will a shooter be standing by to shoot any hikers that decline to use the canoe ride?

Lone Wolf
2015-01-01, 18:08
no canoe for me

atraildreamer
2015-01-01, 18:31
Will a shooter be standing by to shoot any hikers that decline to use the canoe ride?

No, but Dave Corrigan can probably arrange a hunting trip for you. From the way the Baxter State Park thread (at WB) concerning problems with hikers is going, there may be an open season soon on troublemakers who claim to be thru-hikers.

atraildreamer
2015-01-01, 18:38
no canoe for me

Lone Wolf walks across waters of Kennebec River. :eek2:

Bangor Daily News headline reports: "Lone Wolf Can't Swim!" :biggrin:

Superman
2015-01-01, 18:43
No, but Dave Corrigan can probably arrange a hunting trip for you. From the way the Baxter State Park thread (at WB) concerning problems with hikers is going, there may be an open season soon on troublemakers who claim to be thru-hikers.

That's going on all over. The El Camino used to be a religious pilgrimage. Now most people walk a short way and take a taxi to the next town. The stamps are gotten in the towns. Then you get a clam shell as proof of your hike so long as you have the stamps in your book. It's sad.

Lone Wolf
2015-01-01, 20:41
Lone Wolf walks across waters of Kennebec River. :eek2:

Bangor Daily News headline reports: "Lone Wolf Can't Swim!" :biggrin:

i've forded it 6 times

sheepdog
2015-01-01, 21:49
i've forded it 6 times

you owe someone $300

Superman
2015-01-01, 21:53
you owe someone $300

Maybe they should pay LW $300 for not using the canoe. Just sayin.

Tin Man
2015-01-01, 22:34
i've forded it 6 times

wearing boots, barefoot, or orange crocs?

Lone Wolf
2015-01-01, 22:58
boots

Bearpaw
2015-01-01, 23:44
Crossed in sandals 15 years ago. A little common sense goes a long way as to whether it's safe to ford.

saimyoji
2015-01-02, 00:46
boots

Pretty sure you mean boobs.

Lone Wolf
2015-01-02, 06:38
pretty fuckin' sure i meant boots

john pickett
2015-01-02, 11:32
Perhaps Saimyoji means a boob wearing boots.
Jus' sayin.

atraildreamer
2015-12-14, 14:38
I sent an email to David Corrigan of Fletcher Mountain Outfitters and got his permission to post his Kennebec Ferry Final Report for the 2015 season. It can be found here:

http://www.matc.org/for-hikers/kennebec-river-ferry/

As Dave expressed in his email:

"...Yes, please feel free to link to the report and to quote it as needed. People need to understand what is really happening out on The trail. ..."

With that end in mind, I have copied the report and converted it to a pdf document that is an attachment to this post. I have also constructed a comparison chart for the years 2014 and 2015 that is also attached as a pdf to this post.

There have been some significant, and disturbing trends, as indicated in Dave's report. The number of hikers using the ferry service, in all categories, except day-use hikers and dogs, has increased.

The number of river forders has shown the most dramatic increase of 975% over last year. From Dave's report: "... There were several incidents with hikers nearly drowning this year while attempting to ford, including one that had to be rescued by another hiker outside of Ferry Service hours. ..."

"...Last year we had the lowest total number of forders in our recorded history, and this year it is just the opposite. I believe this can be attributed to several factors. We had a totally different type of hiker on the trail this year. The attitude that rules and safety warning simply didn’t not apply to them was quite prevalent among this years class of thru hikers. We also had some record low water on many days, due to work on a dam downstream. This encouraged more people to try their luck against the River. Also, the number of idiots writing false information about the relative safety of crossing the Kennebec, both in shelter logs and online, seemed to be higher this year. Many hikers seem to be getting their information primarily from social media rumors, instead of researching facts. An alarming number of hikers told me this year that they had never even seen our schedule or safety warnings, even though they are in every guide book, posted on line, and are also posted in every shelter in Maine. This is an area where we will need to work harder in the future to ensure that hikers are getting the right information. We also had many hikers who simply did not want to wait during our lunch break, or wait in line while we were in operation, so they forded, or attempted to ford, the River. This is going to be a huge problem in the future if hiker numbers continue to rise, and especially if large numbers of those hikers are new to the hiking community, as seems to be the current trend. ..."

There has also been an increase in bad hiker behavior:

"...There were also several incidents of hikers being severely intoxicated when they reached the River. Many hikers, both stoned and sober, refused to fill out release forms. ..."

"...there were several instances of hikers becoming belligerent when asked to fill out the release form...."

As Dave's notes, this is a problem that is getting worse each year:

"... After nine years of doing this job full time, I can tell you—the ‘average hiker’ on the Trail these days is not the same kind of person that they were just a few years ago. ..."

"...This is something that the entire A.T. Community is going to need to be aware of as the number of users increases. ..."

atraildreamer
2016-01-30, 15:42

Right now, there is no provision for a Kennebec River Ferry service

Dave Corrigan and the ATC have parted ways.

I have deleted most of this post. I do not want to be in the middle of a fight between Dave Corrigan and the ATC.

I'm sure that the ATC will straighten out this situation.

Tin Man
2016-01-30, 17:46
um.... I sense a disturbance in the force....

sheepdog
2016-01-30, 21:34
I've been carrying a snorkel and flippers since Springer. I'll be ok.

Elder
2016-01-31, 21:00
I've been carrying a snorkel and flippers since Springer. I'll be ok.
I thought those were just pink blaze necessities.

sheepdog
2016-01-31, 21:15
LOL..most good gear is multi purpose

Kanga
2016-01-31, 21:20
I thought those were just pink blaze necessities.

You're thinking about gills. Totally different thing.

Crikey
2016-02-01, 10:35
sink or swim, canoe or no canoe, that is the question

Hog On Ice
2016-02-01, 15:05
just do a relo and put the trail over a bridge

sheepdog
2016-02-01, 15:06
don't bring common sense into the argument HOI...sheesh