PDA

View Full Version : HOI have you seen this

SGT Rock
2015-03-11, 15:30
Hey HOI, I saw Tinman at the last AT Kick Off and he had his new hammock there showing it off. What I thought was ultra cool and easy was his new suspension and how he ties it off. I figured you would find it interesting and probably already know about this sort of knot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFwfckjQAUg

He said besides it being called a slippery sheet bend it is also called a Becket hitch.

Hog On Ice
2015-03-11, 18:39
can't say as I had seen that way of hanging a hammock but I am familiar with the knot and I can see that it would work reasonably well with the 1/2 inch mule tape he was using

I generally would just larks head the mule tape directly to the hammock and not use the short loop but I can see that the slippery sheet bend would be easier to adjust and probably act as a good drip point

now all he needs to do is to start using the Portuguese bowline at the tree end ;-)

SGT Rock
2015-03-11, 23:39
I had the same thought about the line redirecting water and Tinman (the other one) confirmed that it works like that.

SGT Rock
2015-03-12, 00:00
I've got a set to try on my hammock next week. Looking at a 4 day/3 night trail maintenance trip if you are interested in coming along.

rhjanes
2015-03-12, 12:30

john pickett
2015-03-12, 13:13
Reading the above post has given me a crushing headache!

SGT Rock
2015-03-12, 13:19
I got some Mule tape from Anti Gravity. Using a TI dutch clip at the tree. Talked with Dutch about a Dutch Buckle for the mule tape, but he doesn't want to go there. I am using UCR's to a Carbon Fiber toggle on the mule tape. Think it will work well. Need to test it a few more times in the back yard. Will stitch the TI clip to the tape as they want to fall off (TI's are made for 1 inch webbing).

All of that will work. I made Tinman his first hammock after he saw a hammock demo at Soruck one year and it was set up similar to yours. I think the one I sent him had mule tape straps with it. But what I love about the knot he used in this video is it requires absolutely no hardware whatsoever to do it and it comes apart super easy.

Skidsteer
2015-03-12, 19:42
I've been using that knot since I was a kid without knowing the name of it. I didn't figure it was strong enough for a hammock.

sheepdog
2015-03-12, 22:48

It's kinda like dolphin squeaks or sumpin. Is it even in English?

rhjanes
2015-03-12, 23:37
sorry you no comprende. I'd explain, but think not.

Crikey
2015-03-13, 00:01

Up through the rabbit hole, round the big tree; down through the rabbit hole and off goes he.

With Mule tape.

Tin Man
2015-03-13, 00:20
The knot talk had me going (as in I have no idea what y'all are talking about), but after finally watching how simple this is has gotten me thinking how stupid hard it is to tie and untie the standard warbird line. How does this compare to whoopie slings or other alternatives?

Hog On Ice
2015-03-13, 10:20
I've got a set to try on my hammock next week. Looking at a 4 day/3 night trail maintenance trip if you are interested in coming along.

what days and where/what sort of work?

D'Artagnan
2015-03-13, 11:19
Speaking of knots and such, I've been taking a fly-tying class and last night we worked on "woven" flies. I thought my dexterity was pretty good but it and my patience were definitely put to the test.

SGT Rock
2015-03-13, 14:53
what days and where/what sort of work?

Disregard. I went to work last night and a revised schedule is out that has me working 6 days next week. We plan to just go hike to the top of Bob Bald Monday afternoon and camp out now. The plan was to start at Beech Gap Monday and hike/work sawing out stuff until Bob Bald. Tuesday hike and saw to Hangover and Camp, Wed hike and saw too Windy Gap and Camp, and Thursday to hike and saw (on trail that is already mostly cleared) to the Tapoco Lodge and get a shuttle back to Beech Gap. Maybe at a time in the future I can do that plan.

Hog On Ice
2015-03-13, 15:36
oh well - I might come down anyways so you may see me on Bob Bald - or maybe not

on a separate topic - how are the rates at Tapoco Lodge as compared with Fontana Lodge?

SGT Rock
2015-03-13, 16:04
Tapoco Lodge rates start at about $100 + tax, so it is about 50% more to stay there than at Fontana. I imagine their pricing may change over time as they feel out their business model. They have a couple of lightly used storage sheds that could easily be converted to a small hiker hostel/bunkhouse. We (the BMTA) did discuss that with them as a good option for them to maybe get some thru-hiker business that they might miss, but I'm not sure if that is in their near term plan to even explore.

Superman
2015-03-13, 16:33
Is the Green Motel still available? Did they ever get any hiking re-supply food? They pretty much had canned food when I was there last.

SGT Rock
2015-03-13, 16:41
Yes it is still open. No they haven't added any hiker friendly supplies. Best send a drop here or have a plan to get to town. The fish hatchery has been accepting drops if you call ahead.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Tin Man
2015-03-13, 17:22
The knot talk had me going (as in I have no idea what y'all are talking about), but after finally watching how simple this is has gotten me thinking how stupid hard it is to tie and untie the standard warbird line. How does this compare to whoopie slings or other alternatives?

Hello. Anyone care to provide a helpful comment?

SGT Rock
2015-03-13, 17:57
This other Tinman knot is probably the simplest way I've seen yet

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Tin Man
2015-03-15, 10:18
can't say as I had seen that way of hanging a hammock but I am familiar with the knot and I can see that it would work reasonably well with the 1/2 inch mule tape he was using

I generally would just larks head the mule tape directly to the hammock and not use the short loop but I can see that the slippery sheet bend would be easier to adjust and probably act as a good drip point

now all he needs to do is to start using the Portuguese bowline at the tree end ;-)

okay, i get the portuguese bowline at the tree end. what do you recommend for creating a short loop at the hammock end? i have a warbonnet blackbird.

can I just cut the standard cord as in the pic and use the loop to tie the mule tape / slippery sheet bend knot or do you recommend another way to do the loop attached to the hammock?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-YH0BVWKJwpg/VQXT5gG4bsI/AAAAAAAABwU/15GyUiXuZLU/w357-h635-no/cutting%2Bthe%2Bcord.jpg

SGT Rock
2015-03-15, 16:24
Yes you could cut the cord or you could get two of these: http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p404/The_Chain_Link_-_Individual.html and just take the old suspension off and larks head one of these on your hammock on either end. That way you still have your old suspension if you don't like the mule tape version.

Tin Man
2015-03-15, 16:39
Yes you could cut the cord or you could get two of these: http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p404/The_Chain_Link_-_Individual.html and just take the old suspension off and larks head one of these on your hammock on either end. That way you still have your old suspension if you don't like the mule tape version.

awesome. thanks!

Tin Man
2015-03-15, 17:05

for the warbird and using the mule tape and knot, do you recommend the 10" or 20" chain link?

SGT Rock
2015-03-16, 07:47
I think the 10" would work but that is just a guess.

Tin Man
2015-03-16, 09:26
I think the 10" would work but that is just a guess.

I was thinking the same, but I will go with the 20" to give extra clearance to work the knot away from the hammock. The price difference is not worth sweating over. I tried both the Portuguese knot and the slippery knot yesterday - very simple, just how I like things. This will definitely take all the pain out of tying off the hammock. Thanks for starting the thread and all the input.

Sargevining
2015-03-16, 10:07

I've been using these:

http://www.rei.com/product/830934/mammut-contact-sling-dyneema-80

Kammok uses them and its the only good idea I've seen come out of them.

I use them b/c I think they fit better in my cinch buckles. But I'm thinking that they'd work just as well with that knot. Gonna give it a try.

Tin Man
2015-04-26, 21:04
Just back from 4 nights on the AT using the slippery sheet bend. Fantastic knot. I only ended up on the ground once each night as I was setting up. Someday I hope to master this stupid simple knot. All joking aside, thanks for sharing and tips on setting up. Worked like a charm.

Hog On Ice
2015-04-26, 21:10
I've taken to using the slipped sheet bend with my chair setup - works fine

Tin Man
2015-04-26, 21:13
I had a little trouble getting the knot right, but then I am a slow knot learner. The Portuguese bowline was a little trickier, but I finally got that to work too. Bartender and I enjoyed the simplicity of the new setup. Thanks again.

john pickett
2015-04-27, 13:56
"but then I am slow"
Fixed it for you Tinman!

Tin Man
2015-04-27, 13:58
"but then I am slow"
Fixed it for you Tinman!

thanks. you da man. oh wait....