PDA

View Full Version : titanium pots (and bottles and cookware and......ad infinitum)

john pickett
2015-03-18, 18:52
What advantages do Titanium cookware and water bottles offer over aluminum? The biggest (at least to my Scottish ancestry) is the humongous prices asked by the purveyors. Aluminum transfers heat better than Ti and is no more prone to sticking when hard anodized. So why do all the makers use and why do so many hikers buy Ti? :argh:

Superman
2015-03-18, 19:26
I avoid aluminum because they connected it to Alzheimer's. I also buy my stuff in glass bottles instead of aluminum cans for the same reason. Titanium is lighter and it's free to me. I borrow my wife's titanium pot. I use the plastic bottle that they claim doesn't have poison in it.

sheepdog
2015-03-18, 19:53
If you just boil water aluminum is fine. Tomato products (acid) leach out the aluminum and some think that is unhealthy.

saimyoji
2015-03-18, 20:37
I use titanium because it changes cilor and looks pretty when heated.

Lone Wolf
2015-03-18, 20:51
What advantages do Titanium cookware and water bottles offer over aluminum? The biggest (at least to my Scottish ancestry) is the humongous prices asked by the purveyors. Aluminum transfers heat better than Ti and is no more prone to sticking when hard anodized. So why do all the makers use and why do so many hikers buy Ti? :argh:

fuck titanium. overrated, overpriced. my cookware turns 29 this year

Tin Man
2015-03-18, 21:15
fuck titanium. overrated, overpriced. my cookware turns 29 this year

funny, some of the stuff i still use is almost that old

Sargevining
2015-03-19, 09:10
I think its proven scientific fact that eating and drinking from titanium utensils causes people to ramble on a lot about how expensive their gear is, how much better it is than yours, and how you're doing this backpacking thing all wrong.

Tin Man
2015-03-19, 09:19
Perfect

Superman
2015-03-19, 09:25
I think its proven scientific fact that eating and drinking from titanium utensils causes people to ramble on a lot about how expensive their gear is, how much better it is than yours, and how you're doing this backpacking thing all wrong.

absolutely

Jim Henderson
2015-03-19, 13:57
Back when I had money, and lived near the SnowPeak importer, I bought lots of titanium gear for backpacking and scouting. I bought it because it had the "cool factor" and was fairly durable and was always on sale,so I am not a total twit.

I have used plain aluminum and steel backpacking pots for comparison.

I like the titanium gear for it's durability and lightness. I dislike it due to it being maybe the worst as far as burning while frying. Poor heat transfer and local hotspots. By the way, titanium is "notchy", ie if you get a cut in it somewhere, a crack will most likely propagate from there. I never had this problem but read about it. Also note, there are several types of alloy, so you are not always getting real "titanium". Aluminum also will burn but not as bad. Stainless steel is about as bad for burning and is heavy so no real advantages there other than usually cheap and pretty.

I have mostly SnowPeak brand titanium nested pots of all sorts of sizes up to about 3?4? quarts. I like the large nested pots for everyday stewing, boiling etc. The titanium teflon coated fry pan is a POS not worth the cost of the cardboardbox it came in. It scorches food just looking at a flame and food sticks like superglue. Mine is still stained from a few burns years ago, you can't scour teflon so I guess I am stuck with it. Also perhaps worst of all is the fry pan has warped, the center section has domed downwards, so there is a "puddle". When it heats up sometimes the dome pops up, maybe this is the auto pancake flip feature?

I really like the small single person backpack kit with two nested pots, shapped like a round bottom bowl and a small frypan/lid. This works really well and has less problems with scorching etc, maybe because it is small the heat is more even? I like the cups although they have that strange electrical tingle at times when it touches youir lips. I have the French press coffee maker which works well, my cubscouts can attest to java hits on the trail well to their liking. Only negative is it is tall and narrow so it tips over fairly easy. Most of my titanium is somewhat nonstick for stewing etc and as mentioned the small ones do OK frying.

My best pots are NOT Titanium. My set that I use almost always is an old noname brand nested pot and fry pan set I bought in the mid 70s, still going strong. Sadly, the teflon fry pan has the sticky curse that all thin frypans have, even with teflon coating. Even a healthy puddle of greasei s no sure cure.

For large pots, the USGI pot set, I forget name, mountian set, platoon set??? Has two pots about 3-4 quarts with a HEAVY aluminum(maybe steel?) fry pan. This kit is heavier guage aluminum and does well for stewing etc and is often my "hot water ready to go" set. Only negatives are frying still is sticky, and the bail handles on the pots go thru holes in the sides of the pot, so they leak if filled up or dribble if there is steam under the lid.

For Frying a good medium guage aluminum with teflon coating has served me well for decades. I have an old Everwear with folding handle that has stood up to40+ years of backpacking and an occsaional scrub out with river sand. I have a newer GSR pan with folding handle and teflon that is a bit larger(8inches?) that works well also.

I think based upon my experience, sticking and scorching have more to do with the even spread of heat and good heat control. Thin metal heats too suddenly and to high temps. Non aluminum spreads heat too slowly or unevenly. I always thought cast iron was excellent with heat spread until I saw some pictures where you could clearly see the stove pot supports in the fry pan because they were dark while the rest of the pan was hot, ie very visible hot and cold spots.

Anyway, enough of my ramble. If I had to choose one set for just myself with simple camp cooking on a lightweight trip, I would go with my titanium Snowpeak small single person nested backpacker set with the round pot bottoms. For general purpose camping with simple cooking, I would use my trusty noname aluminum nested set but bring one of my heavy aluminum teflon fry pans. For car camping I would use myUSGI big pot set for water and large group stews. And for nostalgia, my old 1945 USGI kidney plate mess kit, even though it sticks too. But it was my very first camping gear.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Crikey
2015-03-19, 22:50
I eat with my fingers.

Sargevining
2015-03-19, 23:14
I eat with my fingers.

I do too.

But only boogers.

D'Artagnan
2015-03-20, 13:24
... my cookware turns 29 this year

That's about the same as Gypsy, ain't it? (Just fuckin with you.)