PDA

View Full Version : Underquilt

sheepdog
2015-03-21, 19:04
I have a rectangular down sleeping bag that I am converting into an underquilt. My wife sewed some tabs on each corner and on the sides for lines. I've never used one before. What is the best way to attach an underquilt to a hammock. I have a blackbird warbonnet hammock.

Tin Man
2015-03-21, 19:35
For the April hike?? You shouldn't need that.

Skidsteer
2015-03-21, 20:12
Bullshit.

Tin Man
2015-03-21, 20:44
How cold does it get? I camp in 30* without an underquilt. YMMV

Superman
2015-03-21, 21:01
I have a rectangular down sleeping bag that I am converting into an underquilt. My wife sewed some tabs on each corner and on the sides for lines. I've never used one before. What is the best way to attach an underquilt to a hammock. I have a blackbird warbonnet hammock.

By golly don't you be coming to my tent claiming to be cold.

Tin Man
2015-03-21, 21:10
Lmao

Tin Man
2015-03-21, 21:11
A second pad in the hammock works for me below 30*. Easier and lighter than an old sleeping bag. Just saying.

Superman
2015-03-21, 21:55
Fuckin aye straight!!!

sheepdog
2015-03-21, 22:33
A second pad in the hammock works for me below 30*. Easier and lighter than an old sleeping bag. Just saying.

what kind of pad do you use. I get tired of lugging around the rolled up closed cell foam. It's not heavy just bulky. The square down sleeping bag stuffs down real small.

Tin Man
2015-03-21, 22:36
what kind of pad do you use. I get tired of lugging around the rolled up closed cell foam. It's not heavy just bulky. The square down sleeping bag stuffs down real small.

ohhh, missed the down part - didn't know them came in rectangular size... I use a 1/4" closed cell pad that fits nicely in my side pocket of my pack. my additional winter pad is big and bulky - mostly for those winter scout trips where we don't go more than a couple or eight miles.

the down underquilts i have seen have 4 tie-offs, one in each corner, that tie back to the hammock tie-offs some how. not much help. Hoi and Rock can advise.

shadowmoss
2015-03-22, 00:10
Use a small carabiner (or whatever the cool kids are using these days) and bring the corners up to an attachment point on the main hammock line. Use small diamater bungee cord (sure there is a better term for that) for your lines so it snugs up.

Ok, it's been a few years since I camped and all, so my terms are for shit, but basically use something you can snug it up once you have it more or less in place, and hang it from the main sling for the hammock ends.

EDIT: Shock cord. That's what I meant. Run the shock cord from end to end on each side. Attach both cords on each end to a small carabiner or attachment type of your current favor, and clip into the main hammock lines. The stretch should snug it up to the hammock, but be springy enough to get in and out of the hammock without hanging yourself. Points for using some kind of adjusting attachment so you can snug it to your personal favorite tightness each time you hang it. The underquilt I mean.

sheepdog
2015-03-22, 09:03
Thank you very much.

J5man
2015-03-27, 01:47
I also have the warbonnet and I think Bearpaw does too. A trick that hiker head taught and I have used this in tent camping also: i have a mummy shaped insulated air mattress and an oversized mummy sleeping bag because I am claustrophobic - anyway I put the air mattress inside my sleeping bag and that way I am not fighting cold spots wrestling with my mattress in the sleeve when it slips and slides. You can put your down coat or whatever in the sleeve of the hammock for extra insulation

sheepdog
2015-03-27, 09:40
good idea

Superman
2015-03-27, 09:44
I use a hiking quilt and sleep on a by god thermarest...the way god intended.

sheepdog
2015-03-27, 11:09
I use a hiking quilt and sleep on a by god thermarest...the way god intended.

My old bones don't like the ground so much...A hammock is closer to heaven...God has a capital G.

neeener......neeeener.....neeener!!

Superman
2015-03-27, 11:56
My old bones don't like the ground so much...A hammock is closer to heaven...God has a capital G.

neeener......neeeener.....neeener!!

BS....when god has been a Marine he can have a capital letter. I have one of those horse crap neo some dam thing air mattress. It sucks the heat from you body unless you cover it with something. If you have to carry something to cover it you might as well use a by god thermarest. I can sleep naked on my thermarest.

john pickett
2015-03-27, 13:36
Another image I could have done without!

Tin Man
2015-03-27, 15:25
Yeah...sounds like I am better off not hiking with certain folks.:ahhhhh:

Superman
2015-03-27, 16:50
Yeah...sounds like I am better off not hiking with certain folks.:ahhhhh:

Oh come on. You're a Penn State grad.