PDA

View Full Version : Fording Slickrock Creek

Traffic Jam
2015-04-18, 11:35
How difficult is it to ford Slickrock Creek at trail 42/139 near Wildcat Falls? Is it easier or more difficult than the old ford at mile 181.1?

SGT Rock
2015-04-18, 20:05
IMO it is about the same, but both fords are easy unless you just got 6" or more of rain in the last couple of days.

saimyoji
2015-04-18, 22:22
Make sure to bring your snorkeling gear.

Traffic Jam
2015-04-19, 09:46
Thanks for the info. With all the recent rain and hiking solo, I've decided to avoid the creek.

Hog On Ice
2015-04-20, 08:24
good choice - we just finished hiking the new relo which avoids the creek - no major crossings just a few shallow streams

SGT Rock
2015-04-20, 13:07
Someone in the BMTA has proposed we have a TN/NC loop just like the Georgia Loop with the DRT/AT/BMT but using the old and new BMT available for a big circular hike.

Tin Man
2015-04-20, 17:42
Someone in the BMTA has proposed we have a TN/NC loop just like the Georgia Loop with the DRT/AT/BMT but using the old and new BMT available for a big circular hike.

that could fit in nicely with the CT BMT

Traffic Jam
2015-04-22, 19:46
good choice - we just finished hiking the new relo which avoids the creek - no major crossings just a few shallow streams

How was the descent from Haoe Bald? I'm thinking about hiking it SOBO from Tapoco Lodge.

Hog On Ice
2015-04-24, 18:14
the Hangover Lead tr. (southern half) from Hangover / Haoe Bald down to Big Fat Gap was probably the worse trail of the new relo trails - lots of muddy sections and somewhat steep and narrow in places - it might be better going SOBO but it will still be a bit rough - there is one unmarked trail intersection on the Hangover Lead Tr. - if going SOBO just pick the branch that is going up hill - the other branch leads to a view after fighting through a fair bit of brush

Traffic Jam
2015-04-25, 13:30
the Hangover Lead tr. (southern half) from Hangover / Haoe Bald down to Big Fat Gap was probably the worse trail of the new relo trails - lots of muddy sections and somewhat steep and narrow in places - it might be better going SOBO but it will still be a bit rough - there is one unmarked trail intersection on the Hangover Lead Tr. - if going SOBO just pick the branch that is going up hill - the other branch leads to a view after fighting through a fair bit of brush

That is good to know. Any other info and tips is greatly appreciated, I need all the help I can get.

shadowmoss
2015-04-26, 02:03
It's cool that you are actually out there hiking. I'm jealous. All I have are excuses.

Traffic Jam
2015-04-26, 19:16
It's cool that you are actually out there hiking. I'm jealous. All I have are excuses.

Hiking is my excuse to not do housework. :)

I'm fortunate to live close to great trails.

Hog On Ice
2015-04-26, 21:27
That is good to know. Any other info and tips is greatly appreciated, I need all the help I can get.

1. when going SOBO on #49, the Yellowhammer Gap Tr. you will intersect with the #44, Nichols Cove Tr., at the small cemetery - be sure to go "straight" - going right is the wrong way and will take you down to the Slickrock Creek Tr. where you don't want to be

2. when going SOBO on the Nichols Cove Tr., #44, there will be a point where you come up to top of a ridge and will see what appears to be a trail going each way on top of the ridge - the correct way to go is to the left - I'm not sure what the trail to the right is, possibly a trail to a campsite, but it is not shown on the maps we had

Traffic Jam
2015-04-28, 10:07
1. when going SOBO on #49, the Yellowhammer Gap Tr. you will intersect with the #44, Nichols Cove Tr., at the small cemetery - be sure to go "straight" - going right is the wrong way and will take you down to the Slickrock Creek Tr. where you don't want to be

2. when going SOBO on the Nichols Cove Tr., #44, there will be a point where you come up to top of a ridge and will see what appears to be a trail going each way on top of the ridge - the correct way to go is to the left - I'm not sure what the trail to the right is, possibly a trail to a campsite, but it is not shown on the maps we had

That's awesome, thank you.

Traffic Jam
2015-10-19, 19:06
Last week I tried to do a loop of the old and new BMT in Citico/Slickrock Creek Wilderness starting at Beech Gap and heading nobo. I was too slow on the new route so detoured down to Slickrock Creek and camped next to the creek. The next day, I took Slickrock Creek trail to Big Stack Gap and up to Fodderstack. I forded the creek twice the evening before and 10 times the next day. The deepest part of the creek was 2.5-3" above my knees. I don't have experience fording so have nothing to compare it to but thought the creek was okay as long as I paid attention and took my time. There were a few places that looked waist deep. It took me about 3 hrs. to hike 3 miles of Slickrock Creek trail.

SGT Rock
2015-10-20, 07:52
Nothing to it!

Hog On Ice
2015-10-20, 08:03
Nothing to it!

assuming one does not slip and end up sitting in the creek

Beowulf
2015-10-20, 08:17
That is good to know. Any other info and tips is greatly appreciated, I need all the help I can get.Traffic Jam, here is the latest news. We removed and cleared a major downfall on the Tapoco Trail last week, so, going SOBO from Tapoco Lodge, that trail is clear up to Yellowhammer Gap. Ike Branch Trail, between the Yellowhammer Gap Trail Junction and Slickrock Creek, is basically impassable. What normally takes me 45 minutes took (in heavy rain) 4 hours due to downfalls. SAWS is going in there Nov. 7-8 to clear that. Yellowhammer Gap Trail is clear, but with some stepovers, all the way down to Nichols Cove. Nichols Cove Trail between Yellowhammer Gap Trail and Slickrock Creek is heavily overgrown and real wet, stay off that. On the ridge, from Yellowhammer Gap (not the trail, the Gap), I think it is best, although not the easiest, to follow Hangover Lead Trail SOBO to Big Fat Gap. There, just cross the parking area and continue on Hangover Lead Trail up to the junction near Haoe. There is a short cut (which I thought was the trail, so initially we posted the signs in the wrong spot-they are correct now) that goes up past a water source and up to the camping spot on the cleared area between Haoe and Hangover (Saddle Tree Gap). From there, just follow the ridge SOBO south and west. Haoe Lead Trail, between the Jenkins Meadow Trail Junction and the Deep Creek Trail Junction, is heavily overgrown and very tough to follow. When we came down it (wearing tee shirt and shorts) I was so torn up that the waitress at the Mexican Restaurant in Robbinsville wanted to call an ambulance for me. Getting that cleared will be a big project for this Spring. Otherwise, all those trails in the Wilderness are passable and signed, expect Bob Bald and the Cherry Log Gap Trail Junction, and signs are being ordered for that.
As I reviewed this, I noticed that I do need to mention that Yellowhammer Gap Trail does not actually reach Yellowhammer Gap. The new signs should help.

hikerboy
2015-10-20, 08:28
Traffic Jam, here is the latest news. We removed and cleared a major downfall on the Tapoco Trail last week, so, going SOBO from Tapoco Lodge, that trail is clear up to Yellowhammer Gap. Ike Branch Trail, between the Yellowhammer Gap Trail Junction and Slickrock Creek, is basically impassable. What normally takes me 45 minutes took (in heavy rain) 4 hours due to downfalls. SAWS is going in there Nov. 7-8 to clear that. Yellowhammer Gap Trail is clear, but with some stepovers, all the way down to Nichols Cove. Nichols Cove Trail between Yellowhammer Gap Trail and Slickrock Creek is heavily overgrown and real wet, stay off that. On the ridge, from Yellowhammer Gap (not the trail, the Gap), I think it is best, although not the easiest, to follow Hangover Lead Trail SOBO to Big Fat Gap. There, just cross the parking area and continue on Hangover Lead Trail up to the junction near Haoe. There is a short cut (which I thought was the trail, so initially we posted the signs in the wrong spot-they are correct now) that goes up past a water source and up to the camping spot on the cleared area between Haoe and Hangover (Saddle Tree Gap). From there, just follow the ridge SOBO south and west. Haoe Lead Trail, between the Jenkins Meadow Trail Junction and the Deep Creek Trail Junction, is heavily overgrown and very tough to follow. When we came down it (wearing tee shirt and shorts) I was so torn up that the waitress at the Mexican Restaurant in Robbinsville wanted to call an ambulance for me. Getting that cleared will be a big project for this Spring. Otherwise, all those trails in the Wilderness are passable and signed, expect Bob Bald and the Cherry Log Gap Trail Junction, and signs are being ordered for that.
As I reviewed this, I noticed that I do need to mention that Yellowhammer Gap Trail does not actually reach Yellowhammer Gap. The new signs should help.
Sheesh you're taking all the fun out of it.
Seriously thanks for your work.the heart of darkness is a bitch to get to

Traffic Jam
2015-10-20, 09:33
Traffic Jam, here is the latest news. We removed and cleared a major downfall on the Tapoco Trail last week, so, going SOBO from Tapoco Lodge, that trail is clear up to Yellowhammer Gap. Ike Branch Trail, between the Yellowhammer Gap Trail Junction and Slickrock Creek, is basically impassable. What normally takes me 45 minutes took (in heavy rain) 4 hours due to downfalls. SAWS is going in there Nov. 7-8 to clear that. Yellowhammer Gap Trail is clear, but with some stepovers, all the way down to Nichols Cove. Nichols Cove Trail between Yellowhammer Gap Trail and Slickrock Creek is heavily overgrown and real wet, stay off that. On the ridge, from Yellowhammer Gap (not the trail, the Gap), I think it is best, although not the easiest, to follow Hangover Lead Trail SOBO to Big Fat Gap. There, just cross the parking area and continue on Hangover Lead Trail up to the junction near Haoe. There is a short cut (which I thought was the trail, so initially we posted the signs in the wrong spot-they are correct now) that goes up past a water source and up to the camping spot on the cleared area between Haoe and Hangover (Saddle Tree Gap). From there, just follow the ridge SOBO south and west. Haoe Lead Trail, between the Jenkins Meadow Trail Junction and the Deep Creek Trail Junction, is heavily overgrown and very tough to follow. When we came down it (wearing tee shirt and shorts) I was so torn up that the waitress at the Mexican Restaurant in Robbinsville wanted to call an ambulance for me. Getting that cleared will be a big project for this Spring. Otherwise, all those trails in the Wilderness are passable and signed, expect Bob Bald and the Cherry Log Gap Trail Junction, and signs are being ordered for that.

I should have asked about trail conditions before I went. Monday night I camped at Naked Ground and had thunderstorms and a lot of rain which made trail conditions treacherous for me. I hiked to Yellowhammer Gap then down Ike Branch to Slickrock Creek. I got off trail at Nichols Cove and had to bushwhack and backtrack. I also thought Ike Branch was impassable but forced my way through, it was 0.5 miles of hell. Slickrock Creek trail was also rough. All in all, one of the toughest hikes I've ever done and also have tons of bruises and scratches.

Thank you for your hard work, it's greatly appreciated. One day I will join a maintenance crew.

Traffic Jam
2015-10-20, 11:06
Forgot to mention that I attempted to take Nichols Cove tr to Slickrock creek but turned back because of difficulty following the trail.

Kanga
2015-10-20, 14:45
I should have asked about trail conditions before I went. Monday night I camped at Naked Ground and had thunderstorms and a lot of rain which made trail conditions treacherous for me. I hiked to Yellowhammer Gap then down Ike Branch to Slickrock Creek. I got off trail at Nichols Cove and had to bushwhack and backtrack. I also thought Ike Branch was impassable but forced my way through, it was 0.5 miles of hell. Slickrock Creek trail was also rough. All in all, one of the toughest hikes I've ever done and also have tons of bruises and scratches.

Where was the incorrect sign? I didn't notice anything.

Thank you for your hard work, it's greatly appreciated. One day I will join a maintenance crew.

next time, take the trail from beech toward naked ground but turn left down to citico on the trail that says it's there but not really there and then up the north fork to jeffrey's hell. i started sucking my thumb about halfway up. i even considered sliding downward onto the guys so that they would have to carry me.

Traffic Jam
2015-10-20, 16:23
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5921[/ATTACH
next time, take the trail from beech toward naked ground but turn left down to citico on the trail that says it's there but not really there and then up the north fork to jeffrey's hell. i started sucking my thumb about halfway up. i even considered sliding downward onto the guys so that they would have to carry me.

Is that the nutbuster? It's on my bucket list...but not anytime soon. I took that trail from Naked Ground down to a water source. There was a fork close to the trailhead with no sign, I took the one on the left...I guess it was the right choice since I found some water. :)

sheepdog
2015-10-20, 16:26
https://youtu.be/yejtZgzB5Ik
yejtZgzB5Ik

Traffic Jam
2015-10-20, 17:02
https://youtu.be/yejtZgzB5Ik
yejtZgzB5Ik

That sounds about right.

Kanga
2015-10-20, 19:26
Yes, it's right near there. That was one of the stranger of my hikes. That is some unforgiving terrain, for sure.

Superman
2015-10-20, 20:19
Alice in Wonderland was the scary story. I suspect they were all a bunch of druggies and therefore were going to hell. Just sayin.

saimyoji
2015-10-20, 20:35
The real scary stories are the grimm stories. That is some dark stuff. Not fit for kids.

Ray
2015-10-21, 10:01
next time, take the trail from beech toward naked ground but turn left down to citico on the trail that says it's there but not really there and then up the north fork to jeffrey's hell. i started sucking my thumb about halfway up. i even considered sliding downward onto the guys so that they would have to carry me.That's why you need a camera. On big uphills I don't stop to catch my breath I stop to take pictures. It doesn't have to be of a landscape or flowers, close ups of tree bark, lichens, pine cones, or rocks will do. Sometimes I have to take off my pack and lay on my back to get the perfect shot. If your group wants to hurry on tell them artistes can't be rushed. Digital cameras have improved my recovery, I meant photography, skills because (1) if you want you can take as many pictures as you need but (2) nobody can hear the shutter anyway so you can just point it at stuff and mime.

Superman
2015-10-21, 10:35
That's why you need a camera. On big uphills I don't stop to catch my breath I stop to take pictures. It doesn't have to be of a landscape or flowers, close ups of tree bark, lichens, pine cones, or rocks will do. Sometimes I have to take off my pack and lay on my back to get the perfect shot. If your group wants to hurry on tell them artistes can't be rushed. Digital cameras have improved my recovery, I meant photography, skills because (1) if you want you can take as many pictures as you need but (2) nobody can hear the shutter anyway so you can just point it at stuff and mime.

That's better than what I do. I just practice my phone call heavy breathing. I would also like to propose that as they make the entire AT wheel chair accessible they get rid of the false summits. I mean...while they're at it. ;)

Roche
2015-10-21, 11:06
I would also like to propose that as they make the entire AT wheel chair accessible...

It has started in the Smokies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz5V_ODb5aY

Ray
2015-10-21, 13:27
GATC fought a good fight but lost on the handicapped privy deal since the Feds can dictate how new structures on their land must be built. There are two wheelchair accessible privies on Blood Mtn that had to be airlifted in. Every one built since the Club transitioned to the mouldering style are ADA compliant.

john pickett
2015-10-21, 21:04
"I don't stop to catch my breath I stop to take pictures"
AKA any port in a storm.

JimBlue
2015-11-04, 15:49
Our tax dollars at work. At least the seat isn't wood or metal.

Crikey
2015-11-04, 16:44
Metal would be a hoot.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/mtstandard.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/40/340c69c2-6940-11e3-ac97-0019bb2963f4/52b3e457d6498.preview-620.jpg

JimBlue
2015-11-04, 19:46
From what I was told back then, the screams changed slightly.