PDA

View Full Version : The draught and PCT...

Law Dawg (ret)
2015-05-05, 15:10
The bride and I did some exploring this last weekend that took us to Kennedy Meadows store. There were several N/B early bird hikers and we had the fun of listening in and conversing with some. One had been bit on the forearm by a rattlesnake a couple of weeks prior (not a pretty sight)...so what kind of hiker hits this trail? He killed the snake and took it with him to the hospital where they froze it for him. He later he skinned and ate it...the skin is a hat band for the rest of his trek. Warning #1 the rattlers and other critters are going to any water along the trail so watch your steps (and where you put your hands).

#2 water; Hikers said they got some monsoon showers that helped with water gathering but added that those who leave with the herd will have a tougher time finding water. If any of y'all are planning to or know of anyone doing the PCT this year it might be good to hit the trail ASAP.

SGT Rock
2015-05-06, 11:49
I just saw an article about CHP rescuing a PCT hiker that had run out of water.

Law Dawg (ret)
2015-05-06, 12:08
Well at least the hiker was able to make it to a road. One group got ill from a water source...even with filtering. Not as much flow causing toxins to concentrate I guess. This is going to be a tough year on the trail...at least for the first 700 mostly high desert miles.

SGT Rock
2015-05-06, 12:23
http://www.wbir.com/videos/news/local/five-at-four/2015/04/22/remembering-ron-wright/26204915/

SGT Rock
2015-05-06, 12:26
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article20263533.html

saimyoji
2015-05-06, 13:24
I call BS. He still had 8oz of water when they found him, nine hours after he called. He wasn't dehydrated or injured, he was just scared and tired, and only 30 miles from a town. He totally could have walked out on his own. I say he should pay for his "rescue" and pay the water abuse penalties too.

SGT Rock
2015-05-06, 13:35
I remember thinking that he didn't look disoriented in the video. 18 and alone, probably not a great deal of experience hiking solo. My guess is he sort of freaked a little, and the SPOT made it easy.

Law Dawg (ret)
2015-05-06, 15:05
Had no idea the CHP uses their birds for Search and Rescue, our county has their own air wing. While the kid didn't look all that stressed the reality of this year is water sources will be more unreliable...no matter what yer app says.

Speaking of kids, we missed a 19 year old who is attempting to break 60 days to through hike. He is reportedly doing so like any other hiker, with supply drops and basically unassisted. Oh to be young an dumb again (as opposed to old and dumb).

Sargevining
2015-05-07, 10:55
I call BS. He still had 8oz of water when they found him, nine hours after he called. He wasn't dehydrated or injured, he was just scared and tired, and only 30 miles from a town. He totally could have walked out on his own. I say he should pay for his "rescue" and pay the water abuse penalties too.

The story has been edited since I first read it. Original reporting said that he pulled the trigger on his SPOT after 12 hours on the trail.

My thinking here is that he probably based his water carriage on "To save weight, you only need to carry about a liter of water and a good water filter." I've seen that in lots of places on the intertubes. But the reason why the idea is so prevalent is b/c most of the people discussing on forums, blogs, and youtube do most of their hiking north of the Mason Dixon Line and East of the Ohio River where that is actually good advice. I think he may have done just that and when he missed a couple of drought depleted water points he realized that he didn't have enough water to get to the next water point, and may have thought that he didn't have enough water to make it back to the trail head after spending a night in the woods.

Could any of us do a 12 hour desert hike with 8 ounces of water?

I'd hate to get into a situation where I'd have to find out.

rhjanes
2015-05-07, 11:56
The PCT, southern, is always sparse on H2O. The article makes it sound like he wasn't prepared much. Lets get a ride and just start walking.....how hard could it be? I have a few liters of water.......

I read Chin Musics AT Trail Journal a few years back. He started the PCT this year. He talked water on every post. He's bailed out. Decided he likes walking in the shade of the woods and not marching miles between water, in the blazing sun.

Kanga
2015-05-08, 10:27
this is what happens when everybody gets an award. they think they are just as able to "win" as those who plan and think.

saimyoji
2015-05-08, 11:18
Few of our kids think anymore. They just act and react.

Law Dawg (ret)
2015-05-08, 11:46
this is what happens when everybody gets an award. they think they are just as able to "win" as those who plan and think.

Used to work for a Judge who liked to tell these young fools "Life is going to have a picnic kicking the crap out of you". Reality is so different from getting that unearned/deserved trophy...hope this young man learns and continues his trek.

Superman
2015-05-08, 11:48

Like our military, it seems that there are young people who can, at best, only do the minimum while others exceed all standards. It's like the herd has been divided in two.

Sargevining
2015-05-08, 12:12
Like our military, it seems that there are young people who can, at best, only do the minimum while others exceed all standards. It's like the herd has been divided in two.

Yep.

And the Gummint controls one of them.

Superman
2015-05-08, 12:28
Yep.

And the Gummint controls one of them.

That's nice the way you kept it non-political by not mentioning Obama or Sharpton. Good job.

saimyoji
2015-05-08, 12:30
Thats racist. I take offense to that.

Superman
2015-05-08, 12:34
Thats racist. I take offense to that.

I imagine that being a black, Asian, midget you are offended by almost everything. Just sayin.

saimyoji
2015-05-08, 12:37
Hey! Eat poo honkey!

Superman
2015-05-08, 12:55
Hey! Eat poo honkey!

ouch!

Sargevining
2015-05-08, 13:22
That's nice the way you kept it non-political by not mentioning Obama or Sharpton. Good job.

Ain't much difference 'tween them and others that will tell you they're on the other side.

That's why next year I'm gonna pick a candidate that pisses them both off. That's either Rand Paul or Ted Cruz.

I think I'll go with Cruz b/c it'll be easier to convince him to appoint Sarah Palin as Secretary of Energy so's I can watch heads explode and neck veins burst all over California and Vermont.

saimyoji
2015-05-08, 13:24
Vote for Nader. Or Ross Perot. Or mickey mouse.

Superman
2015-05-08, 13:30
Hillary will buy the votes.

SGT Rock
2015-05-08, 15:34
I've not used the app for the PCT, but I know it tells you what water is ahead in a fairly simplified format. To know how likely the water is you have to get on there and check in detail for each source. It has some advantages and disadvantages, but overall it does what it does. Yogi's guide does a great job (if you read it all) of explaining about how much water you should plan for based on mileage (about 4 to 5), and then gives miles and history of each water source. So if Homeboy has a 40 mile stretch and water is typically hard to find in that area, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure you better take 10 liters of water when you leave this town. It also says multiple times to NEVER trust a water cache to actually have water. I'm guessing with the increased numbers of hikers this year due to the movie and the bad drought, that this advice is doubly so.

Sum it up:
No guidebook to study and use, relies on app.
Drought
Extra hikers
Easy to use SPOT to depend on rather than experience and available resources. Also no two-way communication.

Not hard to see why this happened. I imagine if he had actually called the CHP and told them what was going on, they would have told him to start walking back the direction he came from.