PDA

View Full Version : Hanging on the BMT in the smokies?

shytomboy01
2015-05-27, 00:57
Ok, so I'm hiking the BMT this summer and I know I have to register and stay at shelters when I'm in the park. My question is how difficult is it to hang at the shelters? Am I going to be forced to ground by some park ranger? If so, then I guess I'll add my ground pad to my Fontana resupply and mail my hammock home. Just looking for some advice!

hikerboy
2015-05-27, 07:33
There's only one shelter in the smokies on the bmt.plenty of trees though.

SGT Rock
2015-05-29, 11:18
I've hung at most of the campsites in the Smokies on the BMT and never had an issue. That includes at Laurel Gap Shelter before and after the rebuild. There are only two backcountry rangers for all 800 miles in the park. They tend to hang around the trails that get the most traffic and therefore the most problems. All LEO rangers can come into the backcountry and others sometimes do, but that is a rare thing in my experience. I only ever saw a ranger in the backcountry once and that was the day before an impending government shut down. His job was to tell us that the park may close tomorrow and if we stayed in the back country not to expect any rescue if we got into trouble.

john pickett
2015-05-29, 16:33
I'm sure you were shaking in your New Balance trail runners.

SGT Rock
2015-05-30, 00:01
I'm sure you were shaking in your New Balance trail runners.

I think they were Solomon's at the time LOL.

hikerboy
2015-05-30, 07:13
3 trips thru the smokies and never saw a ranger.twice this year I stayed at different sites than my permit said.

sheepdog
2015-05-30, 08:41
3 trips thru the smokies and never saw a ranger.twice this year I stayed at different sites than my permit said.

you're just a trouble maker

hikerboy
2015-05-30, 08:44
New yawka

Superman
2015-05-30, 09:00
New yawka

God has a way of dealing with your kind.

hikerboy
2015-05-30, 09:12
Is that how I met you?

Superman
2015-05-30, 09:27
Is that how I met you?

God exiles your kind to Florida. Then he makes you huddle with millions of other miserable people chanting "at least it's not snowing."

hikerboy
2015-05-30, 09:29
I refuse to go to Florida dead or alive I was there once that's enough

Superman
2015-05-30, 10:18
I refuse to go to Florida dead or alive I was there once that's enough

New Yorkers don't have a choice. The good news is that if you're Jewish New York will pay to send you. The bad news is that your kids won't visit. Sending New Yorkers to Florida is America's version of the holocaust.

hikerboy
2015-05-30, 10:22
You can't get a good bagel.

Superman
2015-05-30, 10:26
You can't get a good bagel.

Zakly...and therefore it is hell. Just sayin.

SGT Rock
2015-05-30, 10:51

The only rule concerning hammocks I have seen says no hammocks in shelters.

As to staying in another campsite than the one reserved, I was told by the head backcountry ranger at the time of the plan's implementation that LEO Rangers would be able to apply discretion on the reservation if the hiker couldn't make it to their proposed campsite due to being tired, weather, or whatever else they wanted to apply. As far as I know no one has ever been ticketed or hassled for staying in a different campsite than the one on their reservation.

hikerboy
2015-05-30, 11:11
still the permit system is useful in planning. for instance, i saw mt sterling was booked for the weekend so i made adjustments, knowing the reservations were already full, didnt want to take a chance on going to a full site i hadnt reserved. the two i stayed at, i was able to check on line to see they werent yet full.i made adjustments based on the weather and miles, etc. and it worked out.

john pickett
2015-05-31, 20:41
Hiker Boy sounds pretty smart for a New Yawkuh. Might have to consider making him an honorary Oklahoman.

D'Artagnan
2015-06-01, 11:17
I always figured that with the heat, humidity and bad drivers, Florida was just to get people acclimated for hell.

Crikey
2015-06-01, 11:23
I always figured that with the heat, humidity and bad drivers, Florida was just to get people acclimated for hell.

Superman
2015-06-01, 11:38

So true.