PDA

View Full Version : fire pistons

zoom
2004-03-21, 19:25
hey, sarge, have you checked these out yet? looks promising. www.firepistons.com i know that for myself, that lighters, sometimes run out of fluid at the most inopportune times. any thoughts?

flyfisher
2004-03-22, 15:52
Pretty cool! I looked into them for a bit, but gave up early. Let us know how you do.

doc
2004-03-22, 18:13
Kinda pricey but if yer into toys and have extra wampum...
I might inquire into the special prices offered to scouts tonight after work. If they come down considerably, I might jump on a few for the boys as gifts for those making rank.

brian
2004-03-22, 19:08
Still too pricy for me if you ask...I've got 5 spare strike anywheres in my first aid kit in addition to the 2 lighters I always carry.

...when I get eagle, which will be before June, Ive got a Feathered Friends Kestrel with 2oz overfill and EPIC shell to look forward to:D

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

doc
2004-03-22, 21:22
Originally posted by brian
Still too pricy for me if you ask...I've got 5 spare strike anywheres in my first aid kit in addition to the 2 lighters I always carry.

...when I get eagle, which will be before June, Ive got a Feathered Friends Kestrel with 2oz overfill and EPIC shell to look forward to:D

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

My son is that close as well, he wants a dirt bike.
Your parent is gettin' off easy.

Sgathak
2004-03-23, 08:32
HOLY COW!!!!! Those are really freaking expensive. Ive got a book that shows how to make those things... Ive made 3, the most expensive one was a whopping 6 bucks!

Rip off

schrochem
2004-03-23, 13:28
Originally posted by Sgathak
HOLY COW!!!!! Those are really freaking expensive. Ive got a book that shows how to make those things... Ive made 3, the most expensive one was a whopping 6 bucks!

Rip off

What's the book? I have a nice lathe that needs to be dusted and it looks like a cool "make your own" type project.
Scott

Sgathak
2004-03-23, 14:53
The Tribal Living Book by David Levinson and David Sherwood.

Pgs 35-36 in a section on a few tribal firemaking techniques.

ISBN 1-55566-104-1

zoom
2004-04-10, 02:28
hope ya'll don't think i'm thinking of the price. just thinking of the idea. and if one could make it for a lesser price. how many have run out of fluid or got the striker wet when they needed it? or fingers trembling from the cold? was just thinking of an alternative way to do things. appreciate your thoughts, but lets not lose the basics. one can make something for a bigger cost and then next thing you know, someone has it for a lesser cost. was just an idea. hope i have made no one upset. and , again thanks for the response. i may be totally out in left field, and i'll let you know the results.

Hussman
2004-04-15, 15:14
Two point:
1.) Very cool item!
2.) Tough nut to crack on the retail expense side. Ouch.

I looked into it and found items priced from $95 to $50. So, I tried to make one from scrap in my workshop. The Tribal Living Book by David Levinson and David Sherwood, Pgs 35-36 in a section on a few tribal firemaking techniques was the plan I used. As the authors say, deceptively simple; but precise execution required getting a functioning model. (Mine did not work) I tried a power drill to make the borehole in the first attempt. Could not get a smooth bore. The 2nd attempt was using a solid center auger bit (hand drill.) Again. I could not get a smooth bore. Thinking at this point, I need to use a different species of wood. One of the websites I looked at that sells them showed a photo of the borehole. It was as smooth s glass! I probably do not have the correct tools for this project.

Sgathak. Can you give us an idea of the wood you used as well as the tools for the project?
Thanks!

Sgathak
2004-04-15, 19:27
The most expensive one was made with some scrap Purpleheart wood.

I got the bore to work right by drilling it slightly smaller than the dowel and using peice of glass rod set into the drill and spun REALLY fast to generate some smoothing friction. Though honestly I wsnt going for "mirror finish", I was just trying to get the piston hole fit juuuuuussssssttttttt right.

If it helps, I didnt use their method of using a large dowel, but instead went with a block of wood that I lathed to shape after getting the bore done right.

Ill admit I had an advantage when I did this as I had the ability to make use of a high school wood shop classroom so had a drill press, lathe, and rest of the nifty tools.

Hussman
2004-04-16, 09:26
Pithy wisdom: "You can do ANYTHING with the right tools!"

Moogusida
2011-04-02, 13:36
Yes, it's a very important thing to have in your pocket when your matches got soggy and you have to make a bonfire. I will gain this thing for sure.

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-02, 15:53
hey, sarge, have you checked these out yet? looks promising. www.firepistons.com i know that for myself, that lighters, sometimes run out of fluid at the most inopportune times. any thoughts?

In future Zoom a white bic held to the light will show the level of liquid.

Ray
2011-04-02, 17:24
2004-03-21, 18:25hey, sarge, have you checked these out yet? looks promising. www.firepistons.com i know that for myself, that lighters, sometimes run out of fluid at the most inopportune times. any thoughts?
In future Zoom a white bic held to the light will show the level of liquid.Let's see, that was what? About 7 years, one week and 5 days?

Now that's what I call a deliberative answer.

sheepdog
2011-04-02, 17:47
Let's see, that was what? About 7 years, one week and 5 days?

Now that's what I call a deliberative answer.

what's the rush?? :albertein

JAK
2011-04-06, 11:56
I WOO's defence, he did say, "in the future". :)