PDA

View Full Version : Parking and Access to the BMT during January-March

Beowulf
2016-01-11, 10:01
Folks, for those hiking during the January thru March time frame, here are some updated access notes. FS 81 is closed, so access to Wolf Laurel Trailhead is not available. Trail is still accessible from Unicoi Overlook Parking Area or Beech Gap on the Cherohala. Big Fat Gap Road is closed until the end of March, so the trailhead at Big Fat Gap is inaccessible. In addition, Tapoco Lodge has closed until some time in March. The entrance gate is closed, but hikers are welcome to pass thru, then hike up the road in the Lodge area to the trail. Parking is available across the bridge at the start of the Yellowcreek Mountain Section, or at the Slickrock Trailhead by the Dam.

Traffic Jam
2016-01-11, 11:23
Thanks. I was at Topoco Lodge last week, wanting to hike sobo, and didn't expect it to be closed. I ended up parking on Meadow Branch Rd (is that what you mean by the start of the Yellowcreek Mt section?) and hiked nobo.

By "the dam", do you mean the one about a mile from the lodge? I think it's the Cheoah. I didn't know there was a trailhead there.

Beowulf
2016-01-12, 09:50
Hi, Traffic Jam! I think we just missed you. We were up on the Tapoco Trail clearing some blowdowns and I did see a TN vehicle at Meadowbranch, the start of the Yellowcreek Section, the Burchfield Trailhead. If you wnet NOBO from there, how far and how was the trail? We cleared from Old Field Gap down to that parking area, but there were three step overs that will be chainsawed once I regain certification (First Aid expired). Class scheduled at the end of the month.
As far as the "Dam", that is the Cheoah Dam, famous from the Fugitive Movie. The Slickrock Trailhead is right across the road at the southern end of the bridge across the Little Tennessee/Calderwood Lake.

Beowulf
2016-01-12, 09:51
another Parking Note-at the Old Field Gap Trailhead, shown in Traffic Jam's photo, there is plenty of parking for 8-10 vehicles. No reported problems parking there.

Traffic Jam
2016-01-12, 16:05
Hi, Traffic Jam! I think we just missed you. We were up on the Tapoco Trail clearing some blowdowns and I did see a TN vehicle at Meadowbranch, the start of the Yellowcreek Section, the Burchfield Trailhead. If you wnet NOBO from there, how far and how was the trail? We cleared from Old Field Gap down to that parking area, but there were three step overs that will be chainsawed once I regain certification (First Aid expired). Class scheduled at the end of the month.
As far as the "Dam", that is the Cheoah Dam, famous from the Fugitive Movie. The Slickrock Trailhead is right across the road at the southern end of the bridge across the Little Tennessee/Calderwood Lake.

Well darn, I should have gone sobo. Sorry to miss y'all. I passed Old Field Gap Rd, down the FS road and up the trail about 1/4 mile. All was clear...thank you!

Beowulf
2016-01-14, 13:19
Well darn, I should have gone sobo. Sorry to miss y'all. I passed Old Field Gap Rd, down the FS road and up the trail about 1/4 mile. All was clear...thank you! Did you like that view from the top of the hill about at the turn around point?

Traffic Jam
2016-01-15, 08:23
Did you like that view from the top of the hill about at the turn around point?

There wasn't a view in the area where I turned around, but the views were great. I'm looking forward to finishing the section to Lewellyn Cove...really enjoyed it. The next day I hiked Lewellyn Cove to the dam.

sorry, for the double photos

john pickett
2016-01-15, 11:59
Sweet

Beowulf
2016-01-15, 16:29
Traffic Jam, I just got back from Fontana setting things up for the Spring Hike Event there. It will be April 17-21. Everything open to the public and free. On Monday, 4/18, I'll be leading the hike from Yellow Creek Gap to Walker Gap on the AT, then up the Yellow Creek Mountain Trail to Green Gap, then on the BMT down the "Stairway to Heaven" back to the Lodge. Next Day, we are going from Old Field Gap on the BMT all the way to Fontana. Wednesday, we are doing a Wildflower Hike in the Lewellyn Cove area. Try to join us.

Traffic Jam
2016-01-16, 09:13
Thanks for letting me know, that sounds fun. I'll put it on my calendar.

Traffic Jam
2016-04-06, 10:23
Traffic Jam, I just got back from Fontana setting things up for the Spring Hike Event there. It will be April 17-21. Everything open to the public and free. On Monday, 4/18, I'll be leading the hike from Yellow Creek Gap to Walker Gap on the AT, then up the Yellow Creek Mountain Trail to Green Gap, then on the BMT down the "Stairway to Heaven" back to the Lodge. Next Day, we are going from Old Field Gap on the BMT all the way to Fontana. Wednesday, we are doing a Wildflower Hike in the Lewellyn Cove area. Try to join us.

Is this still happening? I haven't seen anything in the newsletter.

Beowulf
2016-04-07, 07:12
TJ, Yes. This is a Fontana Village event, not a BMTA event. Just google Fontana Village and look at the Hike Week or Spring Wildflower Week listing on the calendar.
Hope to see you for it.

Traffic Jam
2016-04-09, 22:21
TJ, Yes. This is a Fontana Village event, not a BMTA event. Just google Fontana Village and look at the Hike Week or Spring Wildflower Week listing on the calendar.
Hope to see you for it.

Ok, thanks!

warraghiyagey
2016-04-09, 23:36
You're welcome...

sheepdog
2016-04-10, 16:40
You're much too kind...

warraghiyagey
2016-04-10, 17:16
it's true

Hog On Ice