PDA

View Full Version : First World Problem

Ray
2016-02-13, 12:34
My trail maintenance resolution for this year is to replace the "Water" indicator signs on the Duncan Ridge Trail. The ones I put up some years ago, made out of cedar fencing planks, have weathered and darkened so much that it's difficult to read the "W" and arrow. So this year I'm using some scrap synthetic composite deck boards and using a lighter blue oil paint. Now I need to paint a couple, set them out to weather in my yard and make sure the oil paint doesn't flake off the boards.

Simple enough. All I have to do is paint a W and an arrow. Maybe even make up a cardboard stencil so if this works I can churn out a bunch of them later. My AT Fieldbook Guide for maintainers gives only general guidelines for signage unlike the very specific directions for blazing. So I have to make my own. Just draw a "W", an arrow and paint. Do a couple on paper first and see how it looks then transfer to the board, paint and go.

Damn. Drawing W's is not one of my talents.

sheepdog
2016-02-13, 14:35
how are you at arrows?

Ray
2016-02-13, 16:07
how are you at arrows?Not a whole lot better. This photo was taken in really bright sunlight, the two colors have more contrast in shade.

The point of this endeavor is that I want the signs to be noticeable rather than blending into the tree trunks like the ones I'm replacing are starting to do. But I'm also restricted to using blue rather than fluorescent orange.

Superman
2016-02-13, 16:17
how are you at arrows?

A cop said to a guy going the wrong way on a one way street....didn't you see the arrow?

The guy said.....arrows.......I didn't even see the Indians!

sheepdog
2016-02-13, 16:51
indigenous people

Hog On Ice
2016-02-13, 17:12
are you even allowed to use synthetic composite materials in a big W area? or isn't the DRT in a wilderness area?

Superman
2016-02-13, 17:28
indigenous people

He has to have a native American mix up some native color to paint arrows. If it were me the native American would give me water to paint the arrows. Damn it! Then I'd ask him if it was the best he could do and he would say "si."

Ray
2016-02-13, 20:35
are you even allowed to use synthetic composite materials in a big W area? or isn't the DRT in a wilderness area?The DRT's only in designated wilderness through the Blood Mtn WA. On that little stretch there's only one iffy seasonal water source and the trail goes right over it. I don't think I need to post a sign with an arrow pointing down. Other than that portion (Blood Mtn to GA-180) it's all in Wildlife Mgt Areas.

sheepdog
2016-02-13, 21:33
The DRT's only in designated wilderness through the Blood Mtn WA. On that little stretch there's only one iffy seasonal water source and the trail goes right over it. I don't think I need to post a sign with an arrow pointing down. Other than that portion (Blood Mtn to GA-180) it's all in Wildlife Mgt Areas.

perhaps you are overestimating the intelligence of hikers....just sayin

Ray
2016-02-13, 22:18
perhaps you are overestimating the intelligence of hikers....just sayinThat's why, on a trail leading to water, I don't put any arrows. If I put an arrow pointing up someone might climb the tree.

john pickett
2016-02-14, 10:39
"perhaps you are overestimating the intelligence of hikers"
Nah, only sheepdog. Jus' sayin'

Crikey
2016-02-14, 10:53
I have a divining rod. Ultralight, of course.

Kanga
2016-02-14, 12:44
Not a whole lot better. This photo was taken in really bright sunlight, the two colors have more contrast in shade.

The point of this endeavor is that I want the signs to be noticeable rather than blending into the tree trunks like the ones I'm replacing are starting to do. But I'm also restricted to using blue rather than fluorescent orange.

That arrow is not centered

Tin Man
2016-02-14, 12:54
That arrow is not centered

http://cp91279.biography.com/1000509261001/1000509261001_2151977893001_Steve-Martin-Growing-Up-in-California-HD-768x432-16x9.jpg

sheepdog
2016-02-14, 15:39
I have a divining rod. Ultralight, of course.

ain't nothing ultra light about mine....

john pickett
2016-02-15, 14:27
Just ultrashort.

sheepdog
2016-02-15, 16:30
Lol...

Ray
2016-02-15, 18:54
That arrow is not centeredGood point, I made the ... whatever the part of the arrow that's not the pointy bit.... too long. If I made it shorter then I'd have room to paint in a distance. That's only important on the source at Mulky Gap, which is just under a half mile off the trail. So I'll paint ("1/4 mile") since few would be willing to walk a half mile but by the time they've walked a quarter mile it's too late to turn back.

I think that's the same reasoning used to mark distance on the sign at the turn-off to Whitley Gap Shelter.

Skidsteer
2016-02-15, 19:19
Trail maintainers have an ugly streak.

sheepdog
2016-02-15, 19:34

indeed

Superman
2016-02-15, 19:48
I assumed the trails bought the trail signs in bulk that claim.2 miles to what ever. The direction is always down so you have to hall your water up a hill. Furthermore....I have always assumed that all this is done....just to piss me off.

Tin Man
2016-02-15, 20:17
I assumed the trails bought the trail signs in bulk that claim.2 miles to what ever. The direction is always down so you have to hall your water up a hill. Furthermore....I have always assumed that all this is done....just to piss me off.

I thought smart devices were invented just to piss you off.

hikerboy
2016-02-15, 20:23
Por agua marque. .2

D'Artagnan
2016-02-17, 15:21
Just make sure the arrow doesn't spin or this could happen:

MNoWveBtrZc

Superman
2016-02-17, 16:11

true

D'Artagnan
2016-02-17, 16:16

And occasionally sadistic.

Tin Man
2016-02-17, 17:42

in ny, they paint every g-damn tree!!! freaks

Hog On Ice
2016-02-17, 18:28
that's what happens when there aren't enough trees

Ray
2016-02-25, 16:59
So the test sign has held up through a couple storms and I think it's going to work. I just got word that the Forest Service is going to re-route the DRT off the peaks of the most difficult (...fun...) part of the trail, sidehilling around the straight up and downs on "my" section. From the topo of the planned relo, I think my grandmother could walk it in August without breaking a sweat. Oh well. The water sources will still be on the 'new' trail so the signs are still needed.

Next First World problem: I ordered 18 grapevines for my home vineyard this year, expanding off the ones I planted last year. Three different varieties, 6 each. Each carefully chosen to do well at my location and produce fruit suitable for wine. That's not easy to find here outside of some varieties of muscadines. I also ordered more muscadines, but it's a given that they do well here. They're planted elsewhere, separate from the French hybrids of the main vineyard.

So I dug some massive holes for the new vines - don't put a five buck plant in a two bit hole my daddy said. So when the new vines arrived I got 6 and 6 of two varieties and 17 (!!!) of another. Hell, I didn't have room or energy to dig eleven more holes. So I stuck them in one of my vegetable beds and mulched them with old cardboard boxes. So I've got spares if a couple out in the vineyard die but last year none did.

Point is, does anybody want some Norton / Cynthiana grape vines? Google it, same vine different names. Good wine grape hybrid variety with built in resistance to diseases common to those wimpy French grapes. Makes outstanding wine but not good for fresh eating since they have more acid than table grapes. They're from Ison's nursery here in Georgia. Google that too if you're interested.

Pay shipping or pick them up at Ron's April thing and they're yours.

sheepdog
2016-02-25, 17:11
Cool Ray...wish they did well at -35*....gets pretty cold up here sometime...Even my northern varieties freeze out sometimes.

john pickett
2016-02-26, 12:50
So, what's in your garden?

Superman
2016-02-26, 12:52
So, what's in your garden?

snow

Hog On Ice
2016-02-26, 13:39
and probably some left over turnips, carrots or potatoes

Ray
2016-02-26, 14:08
So, what's in your garden?Last year I did not plant as many beets or greens as I wanted, because I'm out of the ones I canned. So I already planted one bed just in beets (4 rows, 12' long) and another in two types of swiss chard and kale (3 rows, 12')

Is the swiss in Swiss chard supposed to be capitalized or not?

And, for everyone else's information, 'croquettes', as in 'salmon croquettes' is pronounced differently than that yard game played with mallets, wooden balls and little wire hoops. Who knew?

I'm making more W and arrow signs today. Going out Monday or Tuesday to check my trail section and say goodbye before it's gone.

Crikey
2016-02-26, 14:53
And, for everyone else's information, 'croquettes', as in 'salmon croquettes' is pronounced differently than that yard game played with mallets, wooden balls and little wire hoops. Who knew?

Spelled differently too.

sheepdog
2016-02-26, 21:54
Last year I did not plant as many beets or greens as I wanted, because I'm out of the ones I canned. So I already planted one bed just in beets (4 rows, 12' long) and another in two types of swiss chard and kale (3 rows, 12')

Is the swiss in Swiss chard supposed to be capitalized or not?

I'm making more W and arrow signs today. Going out Monday or Tuesday to check my trail section and say goodbye before it's gone.

Is that a female frog?

Ray
2016-02-27, 04:12
I think the lawn game thing was invented by children after being served school cafeteria salmon croquettes.

One of them said "Why don't we take them out in the field and hit them around with bats?" Then over time various other rules were added.

I made the sign with distance to water actually "1/4" instead of "1/8" mile. It's too difficult to paint "8"s.

Superman
2016-02-27, 04:42
.....and that is why women don't know what 6" looks like.

Skidsteer
2016-02-29, 01:17
Boom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray
2016-03-03, 15:04
Further first world problems...

I'm makin' bacon. Ordered a bunch of pork bellies to cure. Being ignorant I didn't realize they came with skin attached. I've had bacon with rind before (sliced with skin on) and I kinda liked the little slice of cracklin I got that way. But I sliced the skin off one chunk and I'm going to try to make fried pork rinds, the puffy kind, because I like them even better.

I seriously did not know how complicated the procedure was ... first slice off the skin as close as possible then boil the everlovin' hell out of it for a couple hours then let it cool in the fridge. Then take a spoon and scrape off all the fat still attached. Then slice the cleaned skin into, you know, pork rind sized bits. But that's not all...

Then you have to dehydrate the skin. Since it's just a little bit I put it in the toaster oven set at 200F for, I guess, all freakin day. Maybe I need to get a dehydrator. Then, finally, the dried pork skin is deep fried until (hopefully) it puffs. This has already been a lot of work for a bit of skin as big as my hand.

But, assuming this works, I'll buy a picnic ham which always has the skin attached. They're cheap and are really tasty smoked but I don't usually get them for pulled pork because there's just so much waste, what with the skin and bones and all. A couple of them would make enough crunchy pork rinds to make all the trouble nearly worthwhile. And it would cut down the waste on my edibles per pound price equation. Still assuming this works.

I tend to avoid recipes that require multiple days to complete. Excepting beer and wine, of course. Speaking of which, I got a couple or 6 gallons of hot apple pie aging. The no crust kind that can be consumed with a straw rather than a fork.

sheepdog
2016-03-03, 17:35
Have you ever made mead Ray?

Ray
2016-03-03, 18:42
Have you ever made mead Ray?Oh yeah. Google "Joe's Ancient Orange" for a recipe you could start with ingredients you might already have in your kitchen (honey, an orange, raisins, cinnamon stick, a whole clove, bread yeast). And I've done raspberry meads, one of my favorites, and muscadine wine sweetened with honey. I also did a mead flavored with vanilla beans that ... needed some aging. Going on five years now...

saimyoji
2016-03-03, 20:57
Make sure to add ginger chunks and oak peices. They will mellow things out. If theres a homebrew store nearby go get some champagne yeast.

Ray
2016-03-03, 21:09
Holy hell! It worked. I gotta do this again.

rcli4
2016-03-03, 21:36
Holy hell! It worked. I gotta do this again.
You know you can buy a bag full for 99 cents

sheepdog
2016-03-03, 22:51
Lol....

sheepdog
2016-03-03, 22:51
Oh yeah. Google "Joe's Ancient Orange" for a recipe you could start with ingredients you might already have in your kitchen (honey, an orange, raisins, cinnamon stick, a whole clove, bread yeast). And I've done raspberry meads, one of my favorites, and muscadine wine sweetened with honey. I also did a mead flavored with vanilla beans that ... needed some aging. Going on five years now...

Make sure to add ginger chunks and oak peices. They will mellow things out. If theres a homebrew store nearby go get some champagne yeast.

thanks...got lots of honey left over.

saimyoji
2016-03-03, 23:51
Awesome thing about mead is its so easy to make and requires little tinkering. And its super tasty.

sheepdog
2016-03-04, 08:08
Awesome thing about mead is its so easy to make and requires little tinkering. And its super tasty.

good qualities

sheepdog
2016-03-04, 23:49
I ordered mead making, bubblers, yeast, yeast energizer and food.. Yahoo. I even bought a gallon jug of Carlo Rosso wine for the jug.

saimyoji
2016-03-05, 00:05
I tried the yeast boosters and never was happy with the taste. Au naturale is my speed.

sheepdog
2016-03-05, 00:07
I tried the yeast boosters and never was happy with the taste. Au naturale is my speed.

Can you use plastic jugs?

saimyoji
2016-03-05, 00:09
My first couple runs were in gallon apple cider platic jugs. Just added yeast and honey. Came out just dandy.

sheepdog
2016-03-05, 00:12
My first couple runs were in gallon apple cider platic jugs. Just added yeast and honey. Came out just dandy.

Did you use the cider too? I ordered the Champagne yeast too.

saimyoji
2016-03-05, 00:20
Yep. Well you figure mead is just honey wine. Whatever other ingredients you add just modify it. Use juice instead of water if you want. Ive added apple chunks, all kinds of spices, even made a very tasty pumpkin batch. Just poured canned pureed pumpkin in and added a bunch of other stuff.

The hardest part to get right for me was the water to honey ratio. Too little honey and itll be weak. Too much and itll be sweet. At that point it takes some tinkering. Its a matter of taste. And we all know...

...there's no accounting for taste.

Ray
2016-03-05, 19:34
I ordered mead making, bubblers, yeast, yeast energizer and food.. Yahoo. I even bought a gallon jug of Carlo Rosso wine for the jug.Paisano? I don't think I've had that since I moved out of the dormitory.

sheepdog
2016-03-05, 20:09
$12 a jug....cheaper than buying glass jugs on line.

saimyoji
2016-03-05, 21:49
A gallon of carlo Rosso here is only 8. One gallon carbouys are 15.

Ray
2016-03-05, 22:27
I know, I think I've still got a couple Carlo Rossi jugs in the basement that I used for brewing. The Rhine wine wasn't unacceptable.

But fruit stands around here sell fruit ciders, like peach cider, muscadine cider, cherry cider etc in one gallon clear glass jugs. Hydrometer says they are already at the right sugar content to yield 12 percent'ish alcohol, so it's just a matter of drinking a swallow or two to bring down the volume then adding yeast and capping with an air lock. The peach wine turned out really good. The cherry cider mixed with blueberries was great.

And the best thing about buying the cider was that there was no need to save the bottles - just toss'em instead of cleaning them.

sheepdog
2016-03-05, 23:06
I'll have to check the fruit stands around here didn't think of that...used to be a lot of gallon glass jugs around ..not so much anymore.

Ray
2016-03-07, 17:09
New Mulky Gap 'water' signs. One each for southbound and northbound, one for the gated road giving the distance to the stream and one for the end of the road indicating the footpath to water. I'll bring along the blue paint to put blazes on trees if suitable. Just need to drill holes and locate the nails which are somewhere in the basement. I think.

Going out tomorrow with Penny the Dog to set the signs. Might have to bring a wagon or wheelbarrow for the return trip with Penny.

D'Artagnan
2016-03-09, 12:39
Do they get bolted or nailed? May want to pre-drill to avoid splitting. (Sorry if that's stating the obvious.)

Crikey
2016-03-09, 12:44
Do they get bolted or nailed? May want to pre-drill to avoid splitting. (Sorry if that's stating the obvious.)

Yeah, that and another obvious point: Make sure you can't turn 'em upside down, or hikers will wonder why they're getting directed to "M".

D'Artagnan
2016-03-09, 12:45
Ha! Hadn't thought of that. They look really good though. Hopefully no one will vandalize them.

Ray
2016-03-09, 15:42
They got pre-drilled and then nailed leaving about 1/2" of nail exposed so the tree can grow for ... I dunno, a few years anyway. Trees don't grow real fast up on the ridge even in the gaps.

The problem with the pre-made arrows pointing left and right assumes there will be trees big enough for the signs on the correct side of the trail at the spot they need to be placed. I learned yesterday that is not always the case. So I need to go back with at least two more signs, maybe even pairs, a "W" sign and a narrow sliver with just an arrow that I can position either direction.

That lead to the internal debate of "Hikers can't be so stupid that they'll miss the way to water" versus "We're talking about hikers here..."

Which is why, although I brought it along, I didn't use my paint to create blue blazes along the path to the stream. The Duncan Ridge is already a blue blazed trail, connecting to the AT in two places. I was afraid hikers would mistake my new blue blazes for the DRT then find themselves at a dead end next to a stream. But it's not really a dead end, the old roadbed continues past the stream and I can easily image that someone would follow that overgrown, unmaintained path out into the middle of nowhere. Because that kinda already describes the official Duncan Ridge footpath.

Another concern is that the area is plastered with warning signs that there will soon be a controlled burn. The last time they did a controlled burn, and for several years afterwards, the trail was covered with blowdowns. And while all organic signs could burn, these can also melt.

Vandalism is always a concern but the Duncan Ridge doesn't get the traffic, and accompanying assholes, that the AT does. Not saying it can't be a problem but it hasn't been yet.

My first sign is still attached to the tree on the right side of the gate way back there. I put it there about 8 years ago but it's not real visible. About 45 degrees up from the white and blue handicap access sign. This new one is closer to the road and more visible right now but I need to go back with pruners to keep it clear after the leaves come out. Those little deciduous trees to the left of the tree with the new sign need to go. The yellow sign on the right is one of the controlled burn warning signs.