PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for up coming hike?

HvilleDogDoc
2016-05-06, 01:35
I will be hiking the Tenn / NC section of the BM next month. I have been reading the different guide books, preparing my map, loaded waypoints into GPS, hiking 6 to 10 miles every weekend since January with a 22 pound pack. With less than a month before I will be on the trail, I feel like I will miss the trees due to the forest - both literal and figurative.
If anyone has hiked this section: can you suggest any fun stops along the way (canoeing, fishing, etc.), any good food stops along the way, any must see sights or camp sites to stay. Any suggestions on locations to send forward a care package to lighten our load due to food weight.
We are not in a hurry. We have a full two weeks to complete the section.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Traffic Jam
2016-05-06, 12:02
That's a fun and challenging (for me) section. A few ideas...

Don't miss The Overlook in Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock wilderness. Hopefully it won't be fogged in.

That section has some great places to swim.

The campsite on Loss Creek, mile 119.3, is really nice.

Bob Bald has some good camp sites but I loved the site at Naked Ground just a little further North of Bob Bald.

Tapoco Lodge has great burgers and beer but is pricey to spend the night and doesn't have much in the way of resupply.

Lots of good fishing, especially on the Lakeshore section in GSMNP. I believe there's some info on the BMTA site about fishing along the BMT.

Check out Webb Brothers in Reliance, TN for a resupply option. Several places have closed in the past year so call and check before planning your resupply.

Do you have SGT Rock's guide? In case you were unaware, there have been a few reroutes of the BMT that aren't in the current guide but the errata is posted on this site.

Traffic Jam
2016-05-06, 12:05
There's also resupply info on the BMTA site but a few on those places have closed.

HvilleDogDoc
2016-05-06, 15:31
Wonderful!! These are exactly the suggestions I was hoping for... I do have the guide book and the BM guide book. I am aware of the reroutes and the change in Webb Bros. accepting 'care packages' to be held for later pick up.
I will not miss the Overlook. I intend on camping near that area for a night.
Thank You for the input.

Beowulf
2016-05-07, 18:51
Dog Doc, I'm the guy who set up this section, so I know it very well. First, are you going SOBO or NOBO? Second, the fishing is in the Park. Outside the Park, your chance of fishing is pretty slim, as it is mostly on the ridges in the area. There is canoeing on Fontana Lake, otherwise, not much chance. Fontana General Store has some basics for resupply, but best to arrange a mail drop. Let me know if you need help on that. Biggest issue in the Park is the required campsites, necessitating following a schedule. Outside, no issues. If you want, my phone is 828-479-2503. I live just a few miles from Fontana Dam.

Beowulf
2016-05-07, 18:55
Dog Doc, I should have mentioned, when I thru hiked the entire 300 miles, I found it easiest to have my wife meet me at designated spots with resupply, clean clothes, etc, rather than try to rely on mail drops. She drove over 1200 miles supporting my hike. If you go that way, I really suggest that you and the support driver go to each agreed meeting spot in advance, some are pretty hard to find.

Traffic Jam
2016-05-08, 00:08
Dog Doc, I'm the guy who set up this section, so I know it very well. First, are you going SOBO or NOBO? Second, the fishing is in the Park. Outside the Park, your chance of fishing is pretty slim, as it is mostly on the ridges in the area. There is canoeing on Fontana Lake, otherwise, not much chance. Fontana General Store has some basics for resupply, but best to arrange a mail drop. Let me know if you need help on that. Biggest issue in the Park is the required campsites, necessitating following a schedule. Outside, no issues. If you want, my phone is 828-479-2503. I live just a few miles from Fontana Dam.

I'm probably wrong, but isn't the Hiwassee river known for its trout?

Beowulf
2016-05-09, 06:07
Some parts are, but the parts right near the trail are pretty difficult, heavily treed, etc. Trying to carry waders on a backpack trip would be tough.

HvilleDogDoc
2016-05-17, 19:03
East of the Hiwassee, Tellico has a fish hatchery (which is along the BMT. In fact the weekend we hope to be at the Tellico River (June 11th) is a 'Free Fishing' weekend, no license required.

HvilleDogDoc
2016-05-17, 19:15
Beowulf:
I have arranged for food drops / showers (just a few) along the TN / NC section of the BMT. We will end our hike at Fontana Village and have arranged for pick up there. The only section of the hike that I would really like to arrange a food drop is somewhere between Mud Gap to Bob Bald. Any suggestions? Have you ever heard of a park ranger helping out? It is not critical. It is one of those situations where it would nicer to only carry 3 days of food versus 6 days.

Beowulf
2016-05-17, 21:13
Beowulf:
I have arranged for food drops / showers (just a few) along the TN / NC section of the BMT. We will end our hike at Fontana Village and have arranged for pick up there. The only section of the hike that I would really like to arrange a food drop is somewhere between Mud Gap to Bob Bald. Any suggestions? Have you ever heard of a park ranger helping out? It is not critical. It is one of those situations where it would nicer to only carry 3 days of food versus 6 days.
DogDoc, Mud Gap to Bob Bald is an easy one day hike. You cross or come right next to roads at Mud Gap, on the Forest Road down to the Hatchery, and at Unicoi Overlook Parking area just before Beech Gap.
In that area, it is the Forest Service, not the Park and you will be very unlikely to see a "Park Ranger" to help out. What did you have in mind?
From Bob Bald, which has water, it is an easy day to camp at Saddletree Gap, right by the Hangover. Next day, easy trip down to Nichols Cove (actually pretty easy to get to Tapoco Lodge from Hangover in one day) Along the Yellow Creek Section, lots of camp sites, but you do need to carry your water from Tapoco.