PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to long distance hikes, and boy do I have questions

Forbin
2016-06-18, 20:42
Hi everyone. My name is Nick, often referred to as Forbin or Colonel Forbin (I am not a Colonel, but a lowly E5, it's a song reference.) Anyway, I'm an experienced backpacker but not a long distance hiker. I am planning to thru-hike the Benton-Mackaye in September. I have questions about logistics and per day personal miles estimates. If anyone would like to start a dialogue, let's hear it. Thanks!

hikerboy
2016-06-18, 23:56
hi forbin. ive thru hiked the bmt twice. highly recommend getting a copy of sgt rocks guidebook.itll give you plenty of info regarding campsites,water sources, resupply,shuttle options.per day personal mileage estimates are personal, so im not sure what answers you're looking for there. ive had 10 mile days and 25 mile days.long distance backpacking is just a series of section hikes.most people whove thru hiked it take between 3-4 weeks. its a beautiful trail with varying terrain, plenty of water, and some fun stream crossings.dont expect to run into too many folks,i would go 3 or 4 days at a time without seeing anyone.

Roche
2016-06-19, 08:29
Yep, the BMT thru-Hikers Guide is what you need. http://bmtguide.com/

hikerboy
2016-06-19, 11:53
ive found when it comes to a long distance hike to take each day as it comes. the bmt has so many camping options that you can be flexible with your miles every day. if someone were to ask me in the morning where i would camp that night, i would tell them to ask me around 3pm.

Kanga
2016-06-19, 12:33
We'll be re-section hiking it this July, August, and September of this summer. Maybe we'll see you out there! We can share notes.

Tin Man
2016-06-22, 09:23
I will be packsniffing it... some day.

Traffic Jam
2016-06-23, 11:39
We'll be re-section hiking it this July, August, and September of this summer. Maybe we'll see you out there! We can share notes.

I'm finishing GA the first week of August, will you be out that week?

Kanga
2016-06-23, 17:41
Unfortunately, no Rock will be working that week.

Traffic Jam
2016-06-23, 20:11
Dang. It would be cool to meet up one day.