PDA

View Full Version : After the Hike

SGT Rock
2004-04-18, 21:38
I just got done cleaning my gear up after our family hike. As usual I did laundry, dishes, and replenished any used consumables. After all that is done, 80% of the stuff is packed up and ready for the next hike except for down bags and some foodstuffs.

How many of you pack up your gear ready for the next hike and how many of you end up looking for stuff all over the house and replacing mildewed gear because you forget about it as soon as you're home?

Streamweaver
2004-04-18, 23:31
I like to have as much of my gear cleaned ,packed and ready to go as I can ,but I never know just what gear Im going to take from one hike to the next!! Some times I think I just plain have to many choices of gear!! I used to be indecisive ,now Im not so sure!!lol Some of the staples like First aid kit,headlamp,compass etc are always ready to go. Streamweaver

doc
2004-04-19, 11:49
Like Eric said, hike ready except for the particulars.
I'm a Boy Scout leader and we teach this meathod so they can find their stuff every time.

PKH
2004-04-19, 12:40
Sarge,

Pretty well cleaned, organized, and good to go the day after I finish a hike. The only exception is assembling meals (I dry and package my own). But even there I normally have at least a several day supply ready.

Off topic. Thanks for your thoughtful and detailed reply to my question concerning your possible return to Iraq. It's a mess and I sincerely hope you don't have to be directly involved again.

Cheers,

PKH

JAK
2004-04-28, 05:35
From washer to dryer to repacked and ready to bug out - but then I get changing stuff and hiking around the living room and stuff, so...

I finally got it all together but now I forgot where I put it.

Sgathak
2004-05-18, 10:47
Ive yet to have to replace something due to mildew, but the only thing I ALWAYS put away around this house is my guns.

I keep most of my hiking stuff near the front door, and sort through what I need before heading out. when I get back, I throw my dirty clothes in the dirty clothes corner, and wash them on the next Saturday with the rest of my clothes.

Ill air our stuff that got wet if needed, but its so dry around here I almost never need to.

hammockhanger
2004-05-25, 23:09
I keep just about everything in my pack, ready to go. Except for my sleeping bag, I keep that in a large bag in my hiker closet so that it isn't compressed and allowed to fluff. Sue/HH

Sgt.Krohn
2004-06-02, 11:46
Hi All - new to your forum... :)

I hunt, fish & camp. My garage hasn't seen a car in 30yrs. :D
It's a strategic storage facility for all things outdoors.
Everything in it's place. All things get cleaned and stored in their respective storage place when I return.
Since I kayak fish in saltwater it is very important to clean your gear as soon as you get in. Otherwise it will corrode, die & be unusable for another trip.

Many moons ago I was a grunt who lived out of his ruck on continuous 30day patrols. I had a duffle back in DaNang that had a radio and a few things in it. But everthing else I owned was in my ruck, on my back. In many ways I still live like that. If you don't use it, you don't need it. But when you need it, it had better be ready to go..

Pappyhighlife
2004-06-28, 15:41
Inventoried and repacked after drying, minus the sleeping bag (For compression)
Remove all batteries, used clothes, firearms, half used fuel canisters and perishable foods. Inspect stove,Water purifier and Hennessy for wear. Store unused MRE and dry food in the food locker.

I place the new inventory sheet on the pack, so when I go out again I know what to add. Always new batteries and fuel.

SGT Rock
2004-06-28, 15:52
I like the packing list idea. I always unpack and inventory everything again before a new hike because I can never remember exactly what needed re-supply from last hike. But I guess even with a last inventory sheet I would probably do it all over again anyway.

FatMan
2004-07-05, 16:46
Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie here who just arrived from Whiteblaze.

Upon return from my outing I clean and store everything in its labeled space. For the sleeping bags I have homemade hangers hung from the ceiling.

I do backpacking trips, lake canoe trips, river canoe trips, as well as "luxury car camp" trips. I have spreadsheet checklists in my computer for each type of trip which I print out and fill in the quantity section based upon number of campers and days out. I have two closed shelving units in my garage that hold all of our gear. On one wall hangs all of our packs and boundry bags side by side.

Once I create the appropriate checklist it takes minutes (as in less than an hour) to move the gear to the hanging packs, boundry bags and auto as required.

Some might find this fanatical behavoir, but it works for me. I can't remember the last time I left something behind.

Just got off the AT last night. Did Unicoi to Hightower Gap and am waiting for the laundry to finish and the gear to dry to put in its place. All will be where it belongs in the next hour or two. BTW, it was the wettest 4 days on the trail I can remember in many years. Happy Hiking!

Pappyhighlife
2004-07-07, 11:27
Well, that sure is detailed, not quite that well structured myself.

I have to keep a packing list cause in my old age I keep forgetting where I put things. Hell a couple of months ago I could not find some waterproof matches, last week I was reaching in the frige to get a beer.. uh soda, and there they were. Sitting next to the butter....Go figure

Redleg
2004-07-17, 17:26
[QUOTE=FatMan]

Upon return from my outing I clean and store everything in its labeled space. For the sleeping bags .

I do backpacking trips, I have spreadsheet checklists in my computer for which I print out and fill in the quantity section based upon number of campers and days out. I have two closed shelving units in my garage that hold all of our gear. On one wall hangs all of our packs and boundry bags side by side.

Once I create the appropriate checklist it takes minutes (as in less than an hour) to move the gear to the hanging packs, boundry bags and auto as required.

Some might find this fanatical behavoir, but it works for me. I can't remember the last time I left something behind.
=============================
It is extreamly hard to lighten your load unless you have a good list to work from. You should have Everything on the list (down to the individual number and type of the bandaids,) and evaluate them after (and during) each outing.
Going with this system, and acquiring new skills to compensate, has allowed me to shave 24.5 lbs off my son and I's pack.
My pack weight w/o consumables is under 11 lbs.
My hiking partner's pack weight is under 5 lbs, and yes that includes tent, bag, coat, pack, stove(we got the designes here!) Kitchen, utensles, etc.(Yes, some days I envy him, but he's been doing this for more years than I have been alive).

maryphyl
2004-07-20, 16:15
I have a quart sized ziploc that has all of my small things like first aid, toothbrush and flashlight. I always make sure it is replenished before I put it away in a fresh zip bag. Everything else gets washed and put away as I have the time. Living here in desert country mildew is usually not a problem because my things are not wet. We own so much stuff accumulated over the years that I make a new list for every trip using an excel program that has weights included. I imagine I am hiking or camping and think about what I will need--takes 5 or 10 minutes and I add to the list as I pack and think of things. :rolleyes: Mary

Redleg
2004-07-24, 02:21
I am not (yet) a light weight fanatic, but:
"The list is life, all within these boundries is good, there is no bad here."
--atributed to Itzhak Stern, on "Schindlers list"
jaf.

j.johnson
2004-12-16, 17:44
I clean my gear and store in in my shed, I have partitioned the shed into sections, ie. camping, bbq, Christmas stuff, and welding tools. It is fairly easy to get to my stuff.
:drillserg

KLeth
2004-12-17, 05:32
It's nice to have a clean kit, dry tent and the boots won't rot id cleaned and treated at once. I've always got consumables in store for the next trip :biggrin:

woodrat
2004-12-17, 19:33
hi all, 1. completely unpack gear 2. clean as nec. replace , check notes made during trip and add or delete items accordingly.

Just Plain Jim
2004-12-29, 15:59
I clean up everything and place them in plastic containers except the tent and sleeping bag. I put those in cloth bags with plenty of ventalation. I then load up the pack with heavy clothing and weights for [training purposes] hiking in my area. I can be ready for a serious hike and camp in 1 hour. I buy food stuff every month and store it for the future. I keep my inventory list up to date.

Major Slacker
2005-01-27, 22:51
After a trip I empty my pack onto the dining room floor, launder all the clothing, hang dry the sleeping bag and whatever I used for shelter, replace any depleted incidentals, then pile the stuff around the dining room.

I am reinventing backpacking as I knew it back in the day, so I've been playing with all the stuff for months. I just spent two weeks packing and repacking for a trip that ended up cancelled after all, but I got my pack weight down to 20.5 lbs., including food for two days and 2 liters of water. I spent the two free days fooling with stoves and stuff.

When my wife finally gets sick of it all I will pack everything into mesh bags and haul them to the storage locker in the basement.

Seeker
2005-06-24, 18:38
hi all... i just joined. nice to see i'm not any different than most.

all my stuff goes on the floor in the family room when i get back. i have my tasks, my daughter has hers (she'll do more as she gets older). anything fabric gets aired. anything plastic or metal gets washed and put away. fuel bottle gets topped off and put away. most gear goes in the garage, but i've noticed things deteriorate in the heat, and when it's 98 and humid outside, it's not any cooler in the garage. so i keep my pack and a small bag of sundries (lights/batteries, compass, tp, water purification chemicals, watch, bug repellant, knife, etc) in an inside closet. the other stuff all goes on its own set of shelves in the garage. after a day or so, the sleeping bags and clothes are ready for storage (inside) too. it takes about an hour to repack when i'm ready to go somewhere. i keep an excel spreadsheet of weights, but pack differently for each trip. i don't generally have a list right there to pack from... sort of like a vehicle load plan, if you do it the same way every time, it sort of gets ingrained... i do lay it all out on the family room table though, and visualize myself hiking and make sure i have everything... funny... the less gear you carry, the easier that process is. and if you forget something, you never forget it again.

dropkick
2005-06-28, 04:43
I'm kind of lazy, usually I come home, throw my trash away, unstuff my sleeping bag (and throw it in the corner), hang my bivy bag over a chair, throw my dirty clothes on the laundry room floor, dump what's left in the pack in a pile on my bedroom floor, take a shower, take a nap, watch t.v., and deal with everything the next day.
Unless the gear is wet, then I grumble and drag myself around hanging things up to air out and dry - but still doing the minimum that I can until the next day.