PDA

View Full Version : tent

Superman
2017-03-13, 10:26
I'm considering this tent. http://gossamergear.com/the-one-shelter.html
Does anyone suggest a different tent?

Roche
2017-03-13, 10:57
I have the earlier version of this when it was known as the Contrail, no complaints. https://www.tarptent.com/protrail.html

rhjanes
2017-03-13, 10:59
I don't use my Gossamer gear tarp tent (hammock hang). But I have it for western stuff. Uses the trek poles to hold it up. Gossamer gear stuff is great gear (I have trek poles and packs and other stuff). I don't see the tent I have, listed.....

sheepdog
2017-03-13, 17:45
Real men use hammocks.

Superman
2017-03-13, 17:55
Real men use hammocks.

We killed the VC and stole their hammocks. That's the only way to get a hammock.

sheepdog
2017-03-13, 20:28
We killed the VC and stole their hammocks. That's the only way to get a hammock.

I have four hammocks......bwahahahaha......

Superman
2017-03-13, 20:48
I'm also looking at buying Daisy a new pack...maybe from Gossamer. What's the intel for a woman's pack. It looks like 15.5".

Roche
2017-03-14, 08:53
We'll need to see the pack list first before we can render a professional recommendation. Would Daisy's pack also be limited to sunny days on slightly downhill trails?

Lugnut
2017-03-14, 11:41
I have four hammocks......bwahahahaha......

I had a new Hennessy. Used it once, didn't like it, gave it to Bulldawg.

sheepdog
2017-03-14, 15:09
I had a new Hennessy. Used it once, didn't like it, gave it to Bulldawg.

Buy a new Warbonnet Blackbird. If you don't like it. Give it to me.

Lugnut
2017-03-14, 16:29
Ha ha ha

Superman
2017-03-14, 17:05
We killed some VC and took their black scarfs. I guess they were what yall call bandanas.

The problem with the modern military is you don't get to plunder enough.

toecutter1978
2017-03-15, 19:23
We killed some VC and took their black scarfs. I guess they were what yall call bandanas.

The problem with the modern military is you don't get to plunder enough.
That's what I would like to have done

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Superman
2017-03-15, 20:09
That's what I would like to have done

One time we went out in the jungle where no hooch should be and found a hooch filled with VC beer floor to ceiling. The VC weren't there so we drank some of their beer...because we could and destroyed the rest.

sheepdog
2017-03-15, 22:35
One time we went out in the jungle where no hooch should be and found a hooch filled with VC beer floor to ceiling. The VC weren't there so we drank some of their beer...because we could and destroyed the rest.
Where there pretzels? I like pretzels with my liberated beer.

Superman
2017-03-15, 22:47

No pretzels. It was close to 100* and no refrigeration. We used an ARVN unit for that and they were happier than if they'd won the super bowl. We expected it to be a VC HQ or maybe a bomb factory. It was a very good day but no pretzels....and that's one of my truer stories.

Other times we killed them for their rice balls and once we killed them for their water.

Roche
2017-03-16, 08:27

No pretzels. It was close to 100* and no refrigeration.

War is hell.

Superman
2017-03-16, 09:00
War is hell.

I've never been much of a drinker but that was the best beer ever.

Superman
2017-03-24, 11:56
OK, upon review we are buying 1 one person tent, 1 back pack (ULA) and a hiking quilt (Jacks are better).

Superman
2017-03-24, 14:11
The gossamer "the one" tent?

Lugnut
2017-03-24, 15:08
OK, upon review we are buying 1 one person tent, 1 back pack (ULA) and a hiking quilt (Jacks are better).

So then Daisy is making you sleep cowboy style?

Superman
2017-03-24, 15:11
So then Daisy is making you sleep cowboy style?

She makes me do things. I'm hideous.

Superman
2017-03-24, 15:14
I've been around and around on these tents. I'm giving Daisy my Hubba 1. I didn't like it anyway and it's about half the weight of what she used to carry. I want a side loading light tent that is wheel chair accessible.

Superman
2017-03-24, 17:56
OK, I bought "The One" tent, the ULA companion (orange) and the jacks r better quilt. There will be no excuses but there may be whining. :) Since I only hike in good weather all this seems unnecessary.

Roche
2017-03-24, 20:37
What's the over / under on when Daisy gets "The One"? I'll take the under at 36 months.

Superman
2017-03-24, 20:45
What's the over / under on when Daisy gets "The One"? I'll take the under at 36 months.

Yeah, we've play'd that game before. It will be what she says it is.

Roche
2017-03-24, 21:41
Yeah, we've play'd that game before. It will be what she says it is.

Never bet against the house, you always loose.

Superman
2017-03-24, 21:59
Never bet against the house, you always loose.

Women are inscrutable.

Superman
2017-03-25, 04:48
Spent $850 on gear to take my bride on a little hike on the BMT. When I first met her she was carrying a pack so huge I thought it was a joke. It's been 17 years so we need to keep our pack weight down.

Superman
2017-03-30, 12:45
Holy crapola, I got my new tent today. It hardly weighs anything. It's not a free standing tent and we still have plenty of snow. We might be getting more snow. I'll see if my wife will hold it while I get it up in the house.

Roche
2017-03-30, 13:24
I'll see if my wife will hold it while I get it up...

Good luck with that.

Superman
2017-03-30, 13:28
Good luck with that.

She held it up in the middle but it sagged on each end. She said we should find a place outside to do it.

Lugnut
2017-03-30, 14:02
Using one's wife as a weight hardly ever works out in your favor. :albertein

Superman
2017-03-30, 14:10

...and some can hold down both ends of the tent at one time.

JERMM
2017-03-30, 17:49
I'm considering this tent. http://gossamergear.com/the-one-shelter.html
Does anyone suggest a different tent?

Superman I had the first generation of this tent and really liked it. I just received this version, put it up this morning for the first time, it goes on the trail with me mid-April. The material is made from spun mermaid skin. Extremely light and slightly transparent, a footprint will be required for durability.

JERMM
2017-03-30, 17:51
I have the earlier version of this when it was known as the Contrail, no complaints. https://www.tarptent.com/protrail.html

nope not the same tent or model.

Superman
2017-03-30, 19:05
Superman I had the first generation of this tent and really liked it. I just received this version, put it up this morning for the first time, it goes on the trail with me mid-April. The material is made from spun mermaid skin. Extremely light and slightly transparent, a footprint will be required for durability.

Thanks Jerm. The material is amazing. I have a piece of Tyvek that I used for my Hubba tent that should work for a ground cloth. I may have to put a pillow in the bottom of my pack just to lift the weight to where it should be. Daisy is thrilled to get my hand me downs. When I met her in 2000 she was carrying such a big pack she looked like she was moving furniture. I thought it was a joke. She's about 5'2" and has always carried wicked heavy gear. Fortunately for her she got with me and I'm sooo lazy I hate to carry anything heavy. She likes to tell people how we'd come to a road crossing and I'd sniff the air and say which way it was to a Hamburg or hotel. Don't tell her I read the book. We're going down to Florida to visit friends and then drive up to hike the BMT. I have no idea how to work the vehicle issue but I'm not known for over planning. I can't predict a start date for us. We aren't going to hang out in Florida...just the hi and bye thing.

JERMM
2017-03-30, 19:11
Thanks Jerm. The material is amazing. I have a piece of Tyvek that I used for my Hubba tent that should work for a ground cloth. I may have to put a pillow in the bottom of my pack just to lift the weight to where it should be. Daisy is thrilled to get my hand me downs. When I met her in 2000 she was carrying such a big pack she looked like she was moving furniture. I thought it was a joke. She's about 5'2" and has always carried wicked heavy gear. Fortunately for her she got with me and I'm sooo lazy I hate to carry anything heavy. She likes to tell people how we'd come to a road crossing and I'd sniff the air and say which way it was to a Hamburg or hotel. Don't tell her I read the book. We're going down to Florida to visit friends and then drive up to hike the BMT. I have no idea how to work the vehicle issue but I'm not known for over planning. I can't predict a start date for us. We aren't going to hang out in Florida...just the hi and bye thing.

tyvek will work just fine, you're trekking poles (if you use them) will need to be adjusted to 125cm to use with the tent or buy the pole set from GG

Superman
2017-03-30, 19:22
tyvek will work just fine, you're trekking poles (if you use them) will need to be adjusted to 125cm to use with the tent or buy the pole set from GG

I will use my hiking sticks. We have enough wicked light pegs to use with it. We're champing at the bit to put our tents up but we are looking at 15 more inches of snow coming.

JERMM
2017-03-30, 19:28
I will use my hiking sticks. We have enough wicked light pegs to use with it. We're champing at the bit to put our tents up but we are looking at 15 more inches of snow coming.

80 here today

Superman
2017-03-30, 21:12
80 here today

That's obscene. At that temp we get naked.

Superman
2017-03-30, 21:22
80 here today

In 2000 Daisy thru hiked with a -20* mummy bag. The thing weighs a ton.

sheepdog
2017-03-30, 22:53
So you're replacing me and hikerboy with your wife? Damn!

Superman
2017-03-30, 22:58
I'll probably be slower than I was last time. The wife will probably flog me and make me cry like a little girl.

Roche
2017-03-31, 07:31
nope not the same tent or model.

Please forgive me for trying to pull a fast one on old Supe, I must have thought I was at another website.

This

is not similar to

That

toecutter1978
2017-03-31, 08:44
She held it up in the middle but it sagged on each end. She said we should find a place outside to do it.

So what is the wife to hold down ratio for this tent?

How many wives do I need to pack to properly deploy this tent?

If it's more than three wives, then I do not see the benefit of said tent. Just the upkeep alone of anymore wives is astronomically unsound. Have you seen how much they eat?! Also these newer versions want more expensive add-ons.

sheepdog
2017-03-31, 10:56
So what is the wife to hold down ratio for this tent?

How many wives do I need to pack to properly deploy this tent?

If it's more than three wives, then I do not see the benefit of said tent. Just the upkeep alone of anymore wives is astronomically unsound. Have you seen how much they eat?! Also these newer versions want more expensive add-ons.

Generally speaking one wife is more than enough for most situations.

JERMM
2017-03-31, 11:15
Please forgive me for trying to pull a fast one on old Supe, I must have thought I was at another website.

This

is not similar to

That

it's okay, the inseam might be similar :dontknow:

Superman
2017-03-31, 11:30

Speaking of inseam.....Daisy just got her brand new ULA circuit pack. It's the medium size with pack cover. It seams like it will fit perfect for her. I finally found a way to make my wife smile....buy her hiking gear. She has made no moves to hit me in the head with her hiking sticks....so far.

Hog On Ice
2017-03-31, 11:43
just start hiking in front of her and then say how lucky her ex is

Superman
2017-03-31, 13:57
just start hiking in front of her and then say how lucky her ex is

Good point. With all this gear spread out I'd best go make her a sammich.

Roche
2017-03-31, 17:21

#InseamSizesMatter

Superman
2017-03-31, 18:58

Will you be hiking the BMT?

Kanga
2017-04-03, 18:03

or get fibraplex to make you some.

sheepdog
2017-04-03, 18:20
HI Kanga, how ya doing?

Kanga
2017-04-04, 00:33
i'm a spoiled rotten trophy wife that's being loved to pieces. it's okay.

Superman
2017-04-04, 03:12

You deserve every bit of happiness.

sheepdog
2017-04-04, 14:05

A good redhead is to be cherished. And sometimes spanked.

john pickett
2017-04-04, 19:45
"And sometimes spanked."
Can't believe you went there!

Kanga
2017-04-06, 00:27
You deserve every bit of happiness.

aww. thanks, love.

A good redhead is to be cherished. And sometimes spanked.

eggs zachery

"And sometimes spanked."
Can't believe you went there!

he knows things.. he knows..

Superman
2017-04-06, 08:45
"he knows things.. he knows."

He does know stuff. His woman got up in the middle of the night and drove half way across this country to collect him back up. My wife would just say "you got yourself there, get yourself where you think you should be." On the other hand....my best move with the ladies is hanging my head out the window of my car and banging on my car door as I yell "hubba hubba."