PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veterans Day 2017

Roche
2017-11-09, 08:54
I'll be honoring those who have served by first going to the range then packing up for a three day backpacking trip in the Big South Fork.

Thank you to all who served and are presently serving in the Air Force :flag-airf , in the Army :flag-army , in the Coast Guard :flag-coas , in the Marines :flag-mari , and in the other one :flag-navy.

The never forgotten :pow-mia:

Superman
2017-11-09, 10:10
Ever wonder why Veterans day is on the 11th and not changed? The war ended on the 11month on the 11th day on the 11th hour.
Today I saw a man selling poppies stop a lady and asked if he could re-position her poppy. While doing so he told that lady she should wear the poppy on their right side; the red represents the blood of all those who gave their lives, the black represents the mourning of those who didn't have their loved ones return home, and the green leaf represents the grass and crops growing and future prosperity after the war destroyed so much. The leaf should be positioned at 11 o'clock to represent the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, the time that World War One formally ended. He was worried that younger generations wouldn't understand this and his generation wouldn't be around for much longer to teach them. We must remember those from our current wars too!
For those that do not know, the eleventh day of the eleventh month is Veterans Day! I copied this from someone else. Please do the same to pass this knowledge on to those who don't know the meaning and who care enough to know. I just did.

john pickett
2017-11-09, 11:43
Thanks for the post. I didn't know these things.

Superman
2017-11-09, 13:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozpdBvB0hek

Roche
2017-11-29, 07:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMk7bKrlq8s&t=6s

Superman
2017-11-29, 08:42
Very cool. We used to get hikes posted on here until most folks went to facebook.

Roche
2017-11-29, 09:26
Very cool. We used to get hikes posted on here until most folks went to facebook.
My 18 year old daughter believes Facebook is for old people, just sayin'.

Superman
2017-11-29, 09:34
My 18 year old daughter believes Facebook is for old people, just sayin'.

I'm not so fond of facebook because I have no idea who reads my posts. At least on Rocks site when I make a really stupid post Rock can play it at his Christmas party and laugh and laugh. Facebook is just for trying to convince others of your political views.

Roche
2017-11-29, 09:57
At least on Rocks site when I make a really stupid post Rock can play it at his Christmas party and laugh and laugh.
Providing Rock with over 24,000 laughs during Christmas Season - you are such a giver.

Superman
2017-11-29, 11:04
Providing Rock with over 24,000 laughs during Christmas Season - you are such a giver.

Yes, and I have that on my resume....right after my other great accomplishments. They are lunch, recess and retirement.

Roche
2017-11-29, 11:44
Yes, and I have that on my resume....right after my other great accomplishments. They are lunch, recess and retirement.

Don't be so modest, you did not list napping.

Superman
2017-11-29, 12:04
Don't be so modest, you did not list napping.

Yes, I confess, I am a gifted napper....and not just when I hike.

Superman
2017-11-29, 12:23

Superman
2017-11-29, 12:28

Superman
2017-11-29, 12:32

Superman
2017-11-29, 12:32
Happy Veteran's Day

Roche
2017-11-29, 12:55
A few times in the Air Force the chow hall dishwashing machine broke down and we had to use disposable plates and utensils - photographs can never accurately capture those moments.

Superman
2017-11-29, 13:23
A few times in the Air Force the chow hall dishwashing machine broke down and we had to use disposable plates and utensils - photographs can never accurately capture those moments.

Can you imagine my surprise when I discovered at an Air Force "Mess Hall" (may not be the correct Air Force term) at Tan Son Nhut in 1967 that you folks actually ate off plates. It had a checkerboard table cloth with an actual flower in a vase in the center of the table. They had a choice of 3 different meets, different kinds of veggies and silver ware. No shit, they had silver ware. We each piled our plates high and then we discovered you could go back for as much as you wanted. Everybody in there stopped what they were doing and watched us eat. It was hard to sneak food into our pockets with everyone staring. When we waddled out of there on our way to my new jeep that I'd just appropriated from the Saigon PX a bird colonel walked toward us smiling. We were all sure that we were looking at jail time. Instead he asked us if we were part of the 1st ID unit that had been up on the Cambodian border. It's hard to answer questions when your trying to figure out what the charges will be. It turned out he was one of the fast movers that flew support for us. It was a relief to find out he just wanted to be our friend but we had to get back to Phu Loi before it got dark. Normally the only time we saw that kind of rand was at a general court marshall.

Roche
2017-11-30, 07:26
Can you imagine my surprise when I discovered at an Air Force "Mess Hall" (may not be the correct Air Force term)...
From my experience the correct term is 'somebody Dining Facility'; Dover AFB had the Patterson Dining Facility. My guess is the Air Force couldn't handle the influx of hungry Army grunts if they used the term 'Applebees'. :eating:

Superman
2017-11-30, 09:23
From my experience the correct term is 'somebody Dining Facility'; Dover AFB had the Patterson Dining Facility. My guess is the Air Force couldn't handle the influx of hungry Army grunts if they used the term 'Applebees'. :eating:

What does Applebees have to do with Army grunts?
Not only did the Air Force have an amazing "dining facility" but in Tan Son Nhut they had basketball courts, swimming pools and soft ice cream stands. It was like a bazarro world.

john pickett
2017-11-30, 10:59
Were you in any of those photos, Superman?

Superman
2017-11-30, 11:23

I was in these pictures.

I very seldom carried a camera. Most of my pictures were given to me from other people. I wasn't a photographer and I didn't waste battery power. I had more pictures but my ex either kept them or threw them away. She was always ashamed that I'd served in Vietnam. I have a dew more pictures but they go with some of my truer stories. The other pictures that I am not in show the conditions we lived in. People seem to think that the Vietnam War was catered with time outs for parties. I am one of few people you could meet that drank out of the Song Dong Nai and hiked the Hoe Chi Minh Trail.

Superman
2017-11-30, 13:55

The Sergeant on the left got divorce papers and kept extending because she couldn't divorce him so long as he stayed in country. She never got the divorce. To the right of him is Greg. He crashed in a huey. I don't know what happened to him but he's not on the wall. I'm next to him. Fedor is to the right of me. His chopper landed on a mine. He wasn't in country long. Bobby lived "happily ever after" after Walter Reed spent two years putting the pieces back together, after he called in artillery on his own position. The two guys kneeling next to him were there such a short time I never knew their names.

john pickett
2017-11-30, 14:40
I see you carried an M-14.

john pickett
2017-11-30, 14:41
I'm sorry about your Ex. That was shameful.

Superman
2017-11-30, 15:08
I see you carried an M-14.

I used the M-14 in 66 until I was forced to take the M-16 in early 67. When were you in country? You were a medic?

john pickett
2017-11-30, 15:49
I was a Navy Corpsman, but never served overseas. I enlisted in 1971 in the Reserves because I was guaranteed my "A" school. The Navy didn't let reservists fill out dream sheets. We were sent where the service wanted us. I spent 2 years at Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego. By the time my tour was up in the spring of 1974, the war was over and the POW's had come home, or so it seemed at the time. I was told to go back to Texas and be a drilling reservist. Years later, I was in professional school in Houston, learning to operate the heart-lung bypass pump. The school at Texas Heart was rigorous and I was in non-pay/non-drill status. One day, I received a pack of papers from the Navy. I was out of the Reserves. Never was asked what I wanted.

Superman
2017-11-30, 17:39
I was a Navy Corpsman, but never served overseas. I enlisted in 1971 in the Reserves because I was guaranteed my "A" school. The Navy didn't let reservists fill out dream sheets. We were sent where the service wanted us. I spent 2 years at Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego. By the time my tour was up in the spring of 1974, the war was over and the POW's had come home, or so it seemed at the time. I was told to go back to Texas and be a drilling reservist. Years later, I was in professional school in Houston, learning to operate the heart-lung bypass pump. The school at Texas Heart was rigorous and I was in non-pay/non-drill status. One day, I received a pack of papers from the Navy. I was out of the Reserves. Never was asked what I wanted.

I reenlisted in 71 to go back to Vietnam. The Marines said common in...it will be fun. It simply never occurred to me that I wouldn't be sent back to Vietnam. Can you imagine my surprise when I got called before the man. I was told in that absolute way of talking that they have to never file a request for transfer...they will tell me where and how I will serve. He also told me to forget about Vietnam I was never going top see it again. It was like being gut shot.

john pickett
2017-11-30, 18:14
From what I hear from the Vets I work with, that would be gut shot in a good way.

Superman
2017-11-30, 18:49
From what I hear from the Vets I work with, that would be gut shot in a good way.

A whole lot of us went back for more. It was very....empowering. I didn't know whether to shit or go blind in Operation Attleboro in 66 but by TET of 68 I was the power.

john pickett
2017-11-30, 21:38
What was Operation Attleboro?

Superman
2017-11-30, 22:45

The Wolfhounds of the 25 ID went into the jungle to find VC. They found the VC 271st re-enforced Regt. They were way the fuck outnumbered and had to fight like hell just to survive 24 hours a day with no relief. They were so overwhelmed they could not break contact. Some jackass made an artillery officer in command of an infantry operation. To make it worse he would not leave his basecamp. Captain Malloy was trying to get assets to get to the Wolfhounds but all the Artillery officer would do is strip another company of infantry from other units and send them out to Malloy's area. Malloy wound up having 11 companies reporting to him with minimum communication, plan or supporting assets. The 1st ID heard about the situation and Gen Depuy flew to Malloy. Malloy reported the situation and Depuy assumed command of the operation. In one day the 1st ID inserted every available unit with full supporting assets. Captain Malloy's 11 companies were positioned to engage the enemy on routes that were anticipated they would take when they broke contact. I was assigned as the RTO for a Forward Observer captain. Based on reports he got of the enemy locations he made a three sided box. One wall of it was blocking the VC from continuing to attack the Wolfhounds. The other two walls simply directed the VC to leave the area toward the 11 companies that were waiting for them. The Wolfhounds were magnificent to have survived. In doing so I think they killed about 1000 vc. The further contacts also put up big numbers. The Wolfhounds were like a mouse climbing up an elephants tail with rape on it's mind. I'd done some stuff before that operation but that was a big show. I got to see how professionals use assets in combat. It was ...impressive.

sheepdog
2017-12-01, 08:14
Wow.

Superman
2017-12-01, 09:35
Wow.

You say "wow" a lot but I'm never sure what the "wow" is in response to. Usually I simply assume it's in response to my number of posts. :)

john pickett
2017-12-01, 11:36
I would say "wow" because I never served in combat and have no idea what it's like except from movies and TV. To get a report from someone who was there and can explain the situation to us newbies is welcome. Thanks for your service. Sure hope I can sit down and share a beer with you someday.

Superman
2017-12-01, 11:40
I would say "wow" because I never served in combat and have no idea what it's like except from movies and TV. To get a report from someone who was there and can explain the situation to us newbies is welcome. Thanks for your service. Sure hope I can sit down and share a beer with you someday.

Roche
2017-12-01, 11:44

I think Supe is trying to tell you he prefers you making a car payment.

Roche
2017-12-01, 11:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElyQU-t8PcQ

Roche
2017-12-01, 11:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB2aFew8Lfo&t=15s

Roche
2017-12-01, 11:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5kkxIzJbRQ&t=52s

Superman
2017-12-01, 12:18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB2aFew8Lfo&t=15s

Holy crap, they shoot the RTOs first.....now they tell me. :) The SKA and AK47 were very good machines. Their inaccuracy was more due to the inconsistent grains of power in the 7.62 rounds they used. They were good enough that when they were in my kill range I was in theirs.

Superman
2017-12-01, 12:27
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5kkxIzJbRQ&t=52s

We fired so many rounds we could light our cigarettes off the barrel.

Roche
2017-12-01, 13:08
Holy crap, they shoot the RTOs first.....now they tell me. :)

So you are saying you won the Mr. Congeniality Award....:gob_devil

Superman
2017-12-01, 13:27
So you are saying you won the Mr. Congeniality Award....:gob_devil

I did. The only problem with the Vietnam War was the Marines. They put the Marines right up on the DMZ which was what the NVA crossed over to come south to us. Instead of inviting the NVA to a party, gotten em drunk and laid they shot at them and tried to kill them. Well, as you can imagine that made the NVA pissed off so when they got down south to us they were looking for payback. It is the Marines who need to work on their social skills. I was waiting for an appointment at the VA and I started telling that to a Marine. He was getting all serious until the end and then he burst out laughing. I have my ways.
Seriously...I had the honor to see professional soldiers ply their craft.

Superman
2017-12-01, 19:50

Any reason for the interest in Operation Attleboro? It's been about 50 years and I think your the first person that was interested in it.

sheepdog
2017-12-01, 22:17

He's really not that entertaining in person.

Superman
2017-12-01, 22:35

OMG, you've talked to my wife.

Roche
2017-12-02, 08:14

Actually we've read your posts.

sheepdog
2017-12-02, 08:33

We hiked together for 3 weeks...hello?

Superman
2017-12-02, 09:17
We hiked together for 3 weeks...hello?

3 weeks? It seemed longer. Oh wait....that's what she said.

Superman
2017-12-02, 11:00

That's because you and Hikerboy were colluding against me. The tactic of throwing change ahead on the trail so I would run after it so I would hike faster was cheap. By cheap I mean pennies.....but I did collect over a dollar.

john pickett
2017-12-02, 12:35
I asked about Attleboro because I take an interest in history, and because I've never wanted to watch any movie or program about the Vietnam War. I feel anything I see is probably politicized and I want to hear a balanced opinion. So I ask people who were there and don't have a political axe to grind. Thank you for your interest.

Superman
2017-12-02, 13:03
I asked about Attleboro because I take an interest in history, and because I've never wanted to watch any movie or program about the Vietnam War. I feel anything I see is probably politicized and I want to hear a balanced opinion. So I ask people who were there and don't have a political axe to grind. Thank you for your interest.

Historians are odd people in that they spend a lot of time reading about frontal assaults but would never actually participate in one regardless of which war it is. I was also at Ap Gu and TET. Ap Gu would be worthy of a Mel Gibson movie. I was also there for TET of 68 which our government, hippies and the left has re-written completely for their own agenda. Aside from those, mostly we lost guys in one, two and threes. Small contacts that wouldn't make the news. Reporters would go out to the bush a ways and we had to protect them. Then they would go back and simply make shit up. We knew they were going to fuck us every time one showed up but we still had to protect them. Any reporter who boasts that he was an in Vietnam is most likely a lying sack of shit. Vietnam is the only event that I know of where those who were there were not allowed an opinion of what happened. The VA was and is the worst. Regardless of what a vet says happened the VA discounts, demeans and discredits it.

Superman
2017-12-03, 12:37
How come Hikerboy stopped posting?

Roche
2017-12-03, 13:16
How come Hikerboy stopped posting?

Is not the question why have you not stopped posting?

Superman
2017-12-03, 15:54
Is not the question why have you not stopped posting?

Et tu, Roche?

Roche
2017-12-03, 16:00
Et tu, Roche?

To post or not to post, that is the question.

Superman
2017-12-03, 16:12
To post or not to post, that is the question.

Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep.... until 4:00AM.

Superman
2017-12-04, 00:25

If I had it to do over again I would want to know more first aid. I would also want the high level of training like Bear Paw had. I would do it again but I think I could have done it better. It's odd looking back at my young self....as if my young self was a different person.

Skidsteer
2017-12-05, 19:33
If I had it to do over again I would want to know more first aid. I would also want the high level of training like Bear Paw had. I would do it again but I think I could have done it better. It's odd looking back at my young self....as if my young self was a different person.

Your young self was different person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk