PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah planning

Tin Man
2018-02-11, 16:44
The designated campsites along the AT in the Shenandoah section appear to be a bit far apart for two old guys like Bartender and me. Not that we actually stay in designated campsites shown in the maps, mind you. Are there decent "stealth" sites along this section? Only asking because this will be our first section where we have to fill out a permit and thought it might be more restrictive. And we know how hikers like to follow the rules . . .

Thread drift and giving me a hard time in ... 1 ... 2 ... 3 ....

sheepdog
2018-02-11, 19:53
Shenandoah is one of the easiest sections to hike on the AT. Wide almost groomed trails, easy slopes. Tame deer. Families parked along side the road cooking hamburgers just waiting for a good Yogi. I loved it.

Superman
2018-02-11, 22:09
The designated campsites along the AT in the Shenandoah section appear to be a bit far apart for two old guys like Bartender and me. Not that we actually stay in designated campsites shown in the maps, mind you. Are there decent "stealth" sites along this section? Only asking because this will be our first section where we have to fill out a permit and thought it might be more restrictive. And we know how hikers like to follow the rules . . .

Thread drift and giving me a hard time in ... 1 ... 2 ... 3 ....

You can canoe the Shenandoah. Bring a big ass cooler, ice, steak, booze, etc. Rent a canoe or bring your own.

Hog On Ice
2018-02-12, 10:15
what part of Shen - north, central, south, all of them?

wrt to camping there are often sites that are fairly obvious from the AT that are available but not shown on maps since they don't follow the regs - the big thing with Shen is no campfires except at the huts and make sure your camp is not visible from any roads that the rangers might drive on. A secondary issue can be the water sources can be a bit far apart and some not completely reliable.

WRT permits - the important part is the vehicle information so that the rangers know how long the vehicle will be parked at a parking area - the campsite info can be fairly vague - something like "AT heading south from xxx" is something I have used in the past. When crossing Skyline Drive or in one of the developed areas it is a good idea that the permit is obvious on your pack so that the rangers will see it and not give you any hassle as they drive by.

If you need a shuttle let me know - I live fairly close to Swift Run Gap

john pickett
2018-02-12, 10:31
What's a "Yoqi"?

Superman
2018-02-12, 10:51
What's a "Yoqi"?

It's a bear.

Hog On Ice
2018-02-12, 12:23
or a hiker that suckers turons into giving them food

Roche
2018-02-12, 13:39
or a former catcher for the Yankees and this drift ain't over till it's over

Superman
2018-02-12, 13:58
or a former catcher for the Yankees and this drift ain't over till it's over

It ain't over till it's over

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

It's like déjà vu all over again.

hikerboy
2018-02-12, 14:00
It ain't over till it's over

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

It's like déjà vu all over again.No one goes there anymore. it's too crowded

sheepdog
2018-02-12, 14:25
My very best yogi was on the SNP. Hamburgers, tater salad and two beers. I like to think they got their money's worth with tales of hikers, bears and snakes....as superman would say, " they were some of my truer stories."

Superman
2018-02-12, 14:40
My very best yogi was on the SNP. Hamburgers, tater salad and two beers. I like to think they got their money's worth with tales of hikers, bears and snakes....as superman would say, " they were some of my truer stories."

It's not lying if you tell it on the AT...it's entertainment. ....and you can quote me.

Roche
2018-02-12, 15:18

Yogi-ing is 90% mental and the other half is physical.

sheepdog
2018-02-12, 21:06
Lol.....

sheepdog
2018-02-12, 21:07
It's not lying if you tell it on the AT...it's entertainment. ....and you can quote me.

I just quoted you. How many quotes you need?

Superman
2018-02-12, 21:13
I just quoted you. How many quotes you need?

100 and you can quote me.

Tin Man
2018-02-12, 21:24
what part of Shen - north, central, south, all of them?

wrt to camping there are often sites that are fairly obvious from the AT that are available but not shown on maps since they don't follow the regs - the big thing with Shen is no campfires except at the huts and make sure your camp is not visible from any roads that the rangers might drive on. A secondary issue can be the water sources can be a bit far apart and some not completely reliable.

WRT permits - the important part is the vehicle information so that the rangers know how long the vehicle will be parked at a parking area - the campsite info can be fairly vague - something like "AT heading south from xxx" is something I have used in the past. When crossing Skyline Drive or in one of the developed areas it is a good idea that the permit is obvious on your pack so that the rangers will see it and not give you any hassle as they drive by.

If you need a shuttle let me know - I live fairly close to Swift Run Gap

Front Royal sobo for 60-75 miles. We may take you up on that shuttle offer and gladly pay you for your time. At least then someone here will know I am real... besides Hikerboy.

hikerboy
2018-02-12, 23:46
Front Royal sobo for 60-75 miles. We may take you up on that shuttle offer and gladly pay you for your time. At least then someone here will know I am real... besides Hikerboy.Have you shipped my stove yet?

sheepdog
2018-02-13, 09:53
I don't believe Tinman exists. He's monkeyboys sock puppet.

Superman
2018-02-13, 11:13
I don't believe Tinman exists. He's monkeyboys sock puppet.

Monkeyboy would not even pretend to be from CT. I can't blame him for that....although....at least it's not NY.

Hog On Ice
2018-02-13, 15:14
in some ways CT is worse than NY but better than MA

john pickett
2018-02-13, 18:54
In some ways the East coast is worse than the Midwest but better than the left coast. (actually, neither can hold a candle to Missouri!) :bootyshak

Tin Man
2018-02-13, 21:53
everyone has to be from somewhere

shadowmoss
2018-02-14, 11:17
Most folks agree that Indiana is a good place to be FROM. That's where I grew up.

J5man
2018-02-16, 17:26
You can canoe the Shenandoah. Bring a big ass cooler, ice, steak, booze, etc. Rent a canoe or bring your own.

....I would have to rent one.....just sayin....

Superman
2018-02-16, 18:54
....I would have to rent one.....just sayin....

Maybe Ramona would loan you hers?