PDA

View Full Version : States and Trails

SGT Rock
2003-01-14, 21:44
I started this section by including states where I have hiked on trails besides the AT. So far I put up Louisiana, Kentucky, Alabama, and North Carolina - more will follow.

If you want to add a state and/or a trail, please post it here and I'll add the trail. I figured this would be easier than me trying to put every state and trail in here I could think of. I don't see why it should be limited to just US trails as well, so if any international trail hikers out there want me to add a section for a good trail outside the US, please feel free to post it.

chief
2003-01-15, 11:11
sarge, is this where you want trail suggestions.

i've hiked this trail a few times, mainly because it's not far from me (2 hrs).

be glad to share info on this forum.

PushingDaisies
2003-01-15, 15:50
Please add the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota and the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin. :)

Thank you!

SGT Rock
2003-01-15, 17:01
I just added the states. I haven't added trails yet.

ridgewalker
2003-01-16, 21:59
Sarge,

Please add the Ozark Trail. It's not complete yet, but some longer sections are finished and make great trips.

http://www.ozarktrail.com/

Thanks.

SGT Rock
2003-01-16, 22:07
Done

CanoeBlue
2003-01-17, 10:59
The Bruce Trail in Ontario follows the Niagara Escarpment, a stone rib that runs from Niagara Falls to Tobermory at the point of the Bruce Penninusula between Lake huron and Georgian Bay - Approx. 500 miles end to end with an additional couple hundred miles of side trails that are worth exploring. The Niagara Escarpment was proclaimed a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve by the United Nations in 1990. Check out http://www.brucetrail.org/index.htm
If you only have time to do part of it - hike the northern half of it.:D

SGT Rock
2003-01-17, 11:02
Just added a set for Canadian Trails

ridgewalker
2003-01-17, 13:17
I forgot to include Missouri also contains about 350 miles of Ozark Trail.

Team GAK
2003-01-21, 20:01
We're thinking of doing this 85 mile hike in late April. I would like know what to expect for bugs & wildlife. We were going to do this last fall at Thanksgiving time, but plans - they change.

Thanks

youngblood
2003-01-30, 22:00
How about adding Georgia and South Carolina to the list.

Georgia has the some other interesting trails, like the Benton MacKaye, Bartram and Duncan Ridge Trails. Also the Pinhoti is under construction.

South Carolina has most of the Foothills Trail (crosses the NC/SC border four times).

Youngblood

youngblood
2003-01-30, 22:19
I think it would be neat to list Blue Blazes that present alternate trails to parts of the AT.

I have hiked 3 in Georgia.

(1) The Freeman Trail bypasses Blood Mountain and connects to the AT at Bird Gap and Freeman Gap.
(2) The Duncan Ridge Trail bypasses the AT between Three Forks and Slaughter Gap.
(3) The Benton MacKaye Trail bypasses the AT between Springer Mountain and Three Forks. (It is underconstruction in TN and will eventually reconnect to the AT in the Smoky's).

In North Carolina the Bartram Trail bypasses the AT between Wayhala Bald and Cheoah Mountain. And there are a couple of trails that bypass portions of the AT around Standing Indian that I can't recall the names of.

I know that there are others, but I am not familiar with them. These alternate Blue Blazes give hikers a chance to see knew trails and relieve some of the traffic from the AT. IMHO you don't have to hit every White Blaze to be a thru-hiker, being a thru-hiker is in the 'being there' and is mostly a state of mind.

Youngblood
GA->ME 2000

chief
2003-01-30, 23:16
Originally posted by youngblood
IMHO you don't have to hit every White Blaze to be a thru-hiker, being a thru-hiker is in the 'being there' and is mostly a state of mind.

i suppose you can call yourself anything you like, even convince yourself of it. still doesn't mean you've thru-hiked, unless you've actually thru-hiked. that means hitting all the white blazes. otherwise, what's the point. even lone wolf, with 16,000 miles under his belt and an extraordinary hiker, doesn't call himself a thru-hiker.

state of mind? please!

grit
2003-01-31, 09:53
Please add the Arizona Trail to your trails list. It is an incredibly beautiful and diverse trail, stretching from the border with Mexico northward to Utah.

Thanks
Grit

Hammock Hanger
2003-02-01, 12:49
I'll be out doing some Swannee River hiking on the FL. HH

Sgathak
2003-03-15, 19:30
Colorado...
Montana
New Mexico
and Wyoming

are home to the CDT (Continental Divide Trail) that stretchs 3100 miles from Mexico to Canada.

About 70% complete.

hafdome
2003-03-16, 15:44
The Wind River Mountains in western Wyoming are flat out amazing. The CDT runs through the heart of the Bridger Wilderness. The trailheads are about 8500 ft. and the trails go up from there. With over 2000 lakes in an area about 110 miles by 40 miles there is no shortage of swimming and fishing. The hiking is rugged and tough but the payoff in scenery is more than worth it. No permits required as long as you stay off Tribal land. The trailhead campsites are about 10$ per night. The parking is free. It gets chilly up there at night so be ready. Falcon books, Hiking the Wind River Range is excellant as is the Earthwalk press Hiking Guide and Maps, Northern and Southern Wind River Range. hafdome

tomwyo
2003-05-13, 11:40
I am from the Big Horn Basin area of Wyoming, a high desert area surrounded by mountains. to the west are the Absarokas (main rockies) and to the south the Owl creeks turn into the Big Horns that curve to the east and join the Pryors on the north with a little gap between them and the Absarokas(Beartooths. I primarily hike in the Big Horns because(so far) there are no griz. The Cloud Peak Wilderness dominates the alpine areas of the Big Horns and offers many miles of trails, views, fishing and hunting. I mainly enter at West Ten Sleep Lake trailhead, Battle Park trailhead, Shell Ranger station or Paint Rock Lakes via the Alkali Road. There are also many nonwilderness areas and trails that include the northern Big Horn National Forest along highway 14a from Burgess Junction to Lovell. I will detail some trails in the future.

cldphoto
2003-06-09, 16:47
Hey, rather than having a folder dedicated solely to the "Arizona Trail," can it be renamed "Arizona Trails" so we can discuss other hikes (Grand Canyon, Santa Catalinas, etc.)?

Thanks much.

dixicritter
2003-06-10, 13:05
Sounds good to me. When I get back home I'll fix that. Probably just another SGT Rock typo anyway...lol.

:D

cldphoto
2003-06-11, 23:28
Nah, not a typo; I think the original request was just for the AZT. It is a cool trail, but we've got plenty more where that came from.

Khamman
2003-12-13, 07:36
Hi! Please add China & Tibet Trail, so that we can discuss hiking in these places. Thanks a lot.

crazyakrunner
2004-01-14, 02:45
Sarge,

Just joined but noticed no listing of Alaska Trails. Most of them here are not especially long but they can certainly be remote very quickly. Trails to list: Crow Pass (28 miles), Resurrection Pass (44 miles), Johnson Pass (22 miles), Crescent Lake (15 miles), Copper River border trail (90 miles), and many more that O have hiked.

crazyakrunner

SGT Rock
2004-01-14, 09:04
Talk to Dixi, maybe she can hook that up. My connection over here (when I can get it) is too slow to do almost anything related to keeping the site up.

aloomens
2004-01-21, 17:32
I would like to see Illinois added. Don't know if there will be much traffic on that thread, but I would sure like to know about any trails and people hiking them in Illinois.

bird dog
2004-03-23, 01:13
rock, (or anyone else who has been)
Ive seen pictures on your site of mount rogers but its not listed in your trails section. Im a planning a trip there in the next few weeks and taking household 6. If all goes well (this will be her first hike) maybe i can sucker her into going on more adventures with her or at least she'll have an understanding and let me do more hiking! At any rate, does anyone have suggestions for the area. Planning on a loop route because i havent read of any shuttle services in the area from my research. Any help would be appreciated.
Bird Dog (Old Ft. Polk scout - Commanch Troop)

SGT Rock
2004-04-03, 22:14
Well actually Mt Rogers is Right off the AT, there isn't exactly a speccial trail up to the site since it is a side blue trail from the AT. If you get the trail guide for the AT in Virginia that covers the area you can find a lot of side and connector trails in that area to make some good loop hikes.

bird dog
2004-04-04, 00:33
thanks for the info. i have the AT trail guide for Virginia and the mount rogers recreation guide and have narrowed it down to two or three loops. just didnt know if you had any suggestions that could keep household 6's mind off of the walk and on the scenery. Always Ready. Bird Dog

john pickett
2004-10-09, 14:15
Sarge,
After 18 years in Georgia, I'm back in Texas near the NE corner of the state. I had juist begun to hike in Ga. and am now in a job that gives me only one 48 hour weekend off call per month. Are there any good trails within a couple hours drive of Paris, Tx? This could include SE Oklahoma, SW Arkansas, and NW Louisiana.
Regards,
John Pickett

SGT Rock
2004-10-09, 15:21
Forget Louisiana, I hated hiking there. I liked the Ozarks west of Hot Springs, Arkansas. There are a lot of trails in that area. I don't know how much of a drive that would be for you, it was 6 hours or so for me to get there from LA.

steve hiker
2004-10-16, 02:38
Where's Colorado? It's been a year since I was there, but Colorado has some fantastic hiking. I hiked for a week in the West Elk Wilderness (Gunnison Nat'l Forest) last September 2003. Very nice.

bird dog
2004-11-11, 18:06
I just got back from a trip in Virginia. We started at Fox Creek and ended at Dickies Gap. It was pretty cold up there, lows in the 20's but we survived. It's the first time that I've been that way in a while and thought that I would let everyone know that the new Hurricane shelter along the AT is complete (with a composting privy)! The old Raccoon Branch shelter (I think thats the name) has been dismantled and the Hurricane shelter has taken its place. The Hurricane shelter is about halfway between Fox Creek (VA 603) Trailhead, and Dickies Gap.

liguhy
2005-05-25, 05:54
"As to scenery (giving my own thought and feeling), while I know the standard claim is that Yosemite, Niagara Falls, the Upper Yellowstone, and the like afford the greatest natural shows, I am not so sure but the prairies and plains, while less stunning at first sight, last longer, fill the esthetic sense fuller, precede all the rest, and make North America's characteristic landscape."
- Walt Whitman, Specimen Days, 1879

Here's some highlights of what I've seen as a BoyScout and college student.

The Flint Hills provide the best location for anythign outdoors and take up roughly the top right corner of Kansas.

Prarie Spirit Rail Trail - Follows one of the first North/South railways http://www.prairiespirittrail.org/location.htm

Konza Prarie Nature Trail - Meanders through an untouched native prarie grassland near Manhattan, KS
http://www.naturalkansas.org/konza.htm

El Dorado City Lake Trail - Can't find much about it online, but there's a trail that hugs the lake and takes you through old ranch houes, small waterfalls, and other things you woudn't expect to see in Central Kansas. One of my favorite memories is of this 15 mile trail I hiked annually with my Scout troop.

Seeker
2005-06-28, 17:58
Forget Louisiana, I hated hiking there. I liked the Ozarks west of Hot Springs, Arkansas. There are a lot of trails in that area. I don't know how much of a drive that would be for you, it was 6 hours or so for me to get there from LA.

Rock,

took my daughter out again this weekend... she likes it well enough up in the kisatchie, but still misses the smokies, and isn't shy about telling me that she wishes we still lived in knoxville... i envy you that... oh well... i can still visit in the summers...

Seeker
2005-06-28, 18:03
rock, (or anyone else who has been)
Ive seen pictures on your site of mount rogers but its not listed in your trails section. Im a planning a trip there in the next few weeks and taking household 6. If all goes well (this will be her first hike) maybe i can sucker her into going on more adventures with her or at least she'll have an understanding and let me do more hiking! At any rate, does anyone have suggestions for the area. Planning on a loop route because i havent read of any shuttle services in the area from my research. Any help would be appreciated.
Bird Dog (Old Ft. Polk scout - Commanch Troop)

bird dog,

seeker again. not mad this time. commanche? when? here at polk? haiti? i was mike company in the late 80s, but my old wingman was a 1sg here in 2000-2002 time frame. edd watson.

can't help with trails in GA... smokies is a different story.

toujours pret.

bird dog
2005-06-28, 23:19
Seeker - Was at Polk from 93-99. Was in C Troop... Bill Heidner was my Platoon Sergeant most of the time. He retired and went to the museum. I got promoted and went to the 1/509th then on to Korea. I dont know Watson, but I still keep in touch with alot of the guys (including Heidner through the 2ACR Association). Scouts Out

bird dog
2005-06-28, 23:21
Seeker - I just bought a guide book on the Smokies. Do you have any favorites you would like to recommend? Bird Dog

Seeker
2005-06-29, 03:33
Seeker - I just bought a guide book on the Smokies. Do you have any favorites you would like to recommend? Bird Dog

yeah, i knew heidner... we were in germany together the same time, but didn't know him until i moved here and he was running the museum years later. good guy. not sure if he went with them back to lewis with the museum, or if he stayed here. dan miller, the sxo in 2001/2, was my s-4 in germany. a couple of the sqdn COs were troop commanders then, and a few more showed up in 2003/4 that i'd known back then. small community, cav.

ok. the smokies. best book out there is this little heavy brown covered book called 'hiking trails of the smokies'. gives neat historical details of all sorts, and an elevation change profile.

best hikes i had were going to see the various waterfalls... if you go in off i-40 at the waterville exit (in NC), it's nice an quiet... not marked as a park entrance on any tourist maps, but the mount sterling ranger station is there near the big creek trailhead. AT also goes nearby (davenport gap shelter), and you drive right past mountain momma's store. waterfall is called the mouse creek falls. small, but pretty. not a bad hike for kids, as the route's pretty flat, for the smokies. if you want to camp it, keep going to gunter fork trail (campsites 36 and 37), see gunter fork falls, go up to laural gap shelter, then along the mount sterling ridge trail, and back to the trailhead along the baxter creek trail. nice 2-3 day loop, depending on how far you go. you can also cut it shorter by taking the swallow fork trail.

i avoided cades cove and anything at that end of the park if at all possible from may to october. people who've never seen a bear or elk or deer will jam up a one way road for way too long. the fall foliage is nice, and also draws tourists. but i lived closest to that entrance, and if you can get to the 'y' in townsend (coming in from maryville), turn R like you're going to cades cove, but then about 1/4 mile down turn left and go to the tremont institute. the spruce flats falls are right there, about a half mile in. again, not real popular with tourists (but lots of fly fisherman). if you keep going, the road is paved for about 2.5 miles, then unpaved for 2.5, or something similar to that... either way, go in as far as you can (about 5 miles). trailhead is the middle prong trail. links to the AT about 8 miles up, if i recall correctly. the first couple miles is an old RR grade, so the path is wide and nicely sloped. theres a waterfall called the lynn camp prong cascades about a mile in. really nice to take 'non-hikers' there on a day trip. or you can continue up past indian flats falls (pile of stones at the 3rd switchback is all that marks the trail to them. very nice) to either a couple backwoods camp sites or all the way up to the AT and stay at the derrick knob shelter. that last bit along the greenbriar ridge trail is a bit steep.

my favorite hikes though, were along the AT. get up to the newfound gap area, and park either at the gap or at clingman's dome. you can then go in either direction (EW), or for a greater challenge, go down one of the spurs and then come up some other loop. i usually went on single overnighters to derrick knob, silars bald, double spring gap or, going over from newfound gap, the icewater spring shelter. a nice loop was also over to charlies bunion, down to kephart shelter, and then back to icewater.

a great trip for small kids was to go about halfway between clingmans and newfound gap and stop at the trailhead of the fork ridge trail. i think it was exactly 3.3 miles from newfound gap, and though marked, wasn't easy to see from the road. anyway, you can find it on the map. from there, it was a very short 1/2 mile hike to a real live genuine AT shelter called mount collins. my daughter's first trips were there, when she was about 3 or 4, and her sister was 7-8. the older one never caught the bug, but my young one, now almost 11, is my hiking buddy... still small, with short legs, but that's ok... she'll grow. (they both made the 8 mile round trip to indian flats falls one day... i pushed too hard, but they made it... at ages 4 and 8. may be why the oldest doesn't go anymore, and i regret it.)

there are a bunch of easy to reach falls on the road from the "Y" to the sugarlands visitors center. you'll get sick from all the curves, but again, for flatland tourists to visit, them's good enuff... another nice dayhike is up to ramsey falls, near the cosby campground. steep in places, but some REALLY old trees. big. warning-do not stop in cosby. do not pass go. do not collect $200... even local east tennesseans don't go there... bigtime moonshine and pot-growing area, and they don't like strangers... ner police, ner ferriners, ner nobuddy... ceptin' thar own kin... an' you an me ain't one of um...

on the other side of the hills, over NC side, it's less touristy... there are numerous loops you can do from the twentymile ranger station area, and the waterfalls there are pretty nice. the trail is steep in places, so check out your elevation profiles...

that's about all i can tell you about trails i've run... there's a map printed on waterproof paper for sale in shops around the park, produced by the National Geographic society. east park is on one side, west park on the other. great map. for wildlife, there are lots of deer and some other small animals (if you're quiet). lots of mice in most shelters. some wild pigs (heard, but never saw). elk herd is supposedly doing well, but i've never seen it. never had problems with bears. the weather is insane. i've had 90 degree days in knoxville, clear blue sky, no rain in the forecast, but have arrived up at a trailhead an hour or so later and it be 75 degrees and raining cats and dogs... if you go, you're going to get rained on. just a fact of the microclimate up there... hate it. but the scenary is worth every blister. i miss it.

SGT Rock
2005-06-29, 10:15
I avoided cades cove and anything at that end of the park if at all possible from may to october. people who've never seen a bear or elk or deer will jam up a one way road for way too long. the fall foliage is nice, and also draws tourists.

If you know the back roads around Townsend, there is a dirt road near Tukaleeche (sp?) caverns that has a small parking area right on the park boundary. If you want to hike some of the trails on the high ground around Cades Cove and stay out of the crowded low ground this is a great spot to get in their since not many people know of it's existence. If I remember correctly it is about 6 miles from there to Scott Mountain which is a nice campsite on the top of one of the mountains that looks down into Cades Cove from the west.

Seeker
2005-06-29, 11:54
sgt rock,

i know the caverns, but never thought to look into the park from that side... i'll check it out next time i'm up there. thanks for the tip. got a wedding to go to in ny in a couple weeks, so my 'summer vacation camping' will be a weekend in the bug infested adirondacks with my brother vs my normal week in the rainy smokies... oh well... maybe in the fall...

meant to ask you, if you don't mind... are you stationed in maryville/knoxville in support of the guard/reserves nearby, or are you now retired there... there was some discussion awhile back of your being offered a 1sg position, and i know 248th cav is from east tn... in any case, i lived in knoxville just off the pellissippi and northshore for 7 years before i moved here to polk... i miss the mountains...

bird dog
2005-06-29, 19:39
Seeker - WOW! Thanks for the info. Sounds like you miss your old backyard. Funny you should mention the book and the map. I just ordered both of them a few weeks ago and got them not long ago. I havent had an opportunity to look at them yet though. Im glad you mentioned the kid friendly hikes. Im trying to get my wife into backpacking and the kids are stoked but havent been yet. Hopefully, if I start them all out easy (as compared to Linville Gorge) they will catch the bug and want to go back. Thanks alot for the local info about the dope growers. Im a police officer now, and it probably wouldnt be good for me to hang around that place any longer than needed. I will have to take a close look at the hiking trails of the Smokies and plan a good weekend trip.

Heidner is now the curator of the museum at Yuma, Arizona. I talked to him the other day. He called to remind me about the upcoming 2ACR reunion in D.C. Again, thanks for the info. Maybe I'll see you on the trail. Bird Dog

Seeker
2005-06-30, 01:35
you're welcome. short hikes to waterfalls were great for the kids. the smoother and flatter the trail, the better, which is hard to find in the smokies... but they're there. the hike off cades cove over to abrams falls wasn't too bad steep-wise, but it was long, and i never did take my kids there. good luck, maybe i will see you sometime.

bird dog
2005-07-01, 01:59
Seeker - Watch out for the Black Hawk sized mosquitoes in Kisatchie. They will carry you away, and the tiny ones will suck you dry. Dont miss those nasty guys at all!

dropkick
2005-07-01, 02:48
Don't want a forum with just me in it (as I might be the only Montanian posting) but how about a forum called Northwestern U.S. trails? That includes Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington, so it might get more traffic.
And I won't get lonely

Seeker
2005-07-01, 11:53
Seeker - Watch out for the Black Hawk sized mosquitoes in Kisatchie. They will carry you away, and the tiny ones will suck you dry. Dont miss those nasty guys at all!

you ain't kiddin'... i can't even sit on my front porch, or bbq on my back patio, without getting absolutely eaten...literally half a dozen bites in as many minutes... the more i get bit though, the less they itch as the season goes on... in march, when they first come out, i get welts the size of a nickel... by june, they're just 1/8" wide and itch a lot less, and for a shorter time... got me one o' dem ammonia pens, and it works wonders... used to use that eucalyptus oil based itch eraser, and it didn't work as well...

(another thing i miss about the smokies... no bugs, to speak of.) but at least we don't have punkies and blackflies down here...

bird dog
2005-07-04, 04:59
Seeker - Im sure if you lived in a metropolis as large as DeRidder that there would be fewer mosquitoes. With such a large tax base to work with, the local leaders can afford to spray some insecticides now and then. I lived in Leesville briefly (Chapperel Apartments), then moved to North Fort. The only place that I have ever seen them worse were in Haiti. They were small enough to fly into our mosquito bars and because of them, I had to take a pill once a week that tasted like chlorine to prevent dingy fever and malaria! Of course more than half of us had allergic reactions to the pink pills, and had to take the yellow ones daily instead for six months! Man, those were the good days! I hate the smell, but Skin so Soft worked well for me as a repellent.

Seeker
2005-07-05, 01:33
you kidding? i DO live in deridder... and they don't spray... my neighbor does though... he's got this HUGE fog machine that he uses before BBQs and pool parties, and i'm thinking about getting one too...

sorry about the dengue fever and such... i remember the pills... haiti and somalia... ick. so now we have the west nile virus... with no pills to take for it... oh well...

Rowdy Yates
2005-10-19, 14:13
:fisheye: SGT Rock, Please post hiking trails in Tennessee. We have the BSFNRA, Cumberland Trail, Twin Forks Trail and many others. I have hiked several of these. :turtle:

SGT Rock
2005-10-21, 07:31
I'll try and remember to get to adding those this weekend.

Hollowdweller
2005-10-28, 13:19
If you want to add West (by God) Virginia I have some trail pics, links, and other things I can post if you want me to. :adore:

SGT Rock
2005-11-01, 15:04
yes I should. I just keep running ito work and projects that need finishing.

Sorry y'all ifd I am falling behind

Steve09092004
2006-03-16, 21:46
Due to unexpected weather and trail conditions I have encoutered while on winter hiking trips I thought it would only be obvious that there should be a site online that contained updated trail conditions. I have not found many, but a few I have found look promising.

www.appleshampoo.us seems to be a good site, it could have potential. Take a look at it, and maybe add a few trail conditions if you have gone on a hike recently.

HikerMarv
2007-08-29, 23:55
Just completed the 165 mile Tahoe Rim Trail surrounding Lake Tahoe this summer. Great weather! Except for the light smoke from a few area forest fires and a few days of bugs, the first two weeks of July were some very good hiking.

With Reno, NV as close as it is, travel in and out of the area is simple.

Might be a good one to post.

Thanks, <Marv>

Take-a-knee
2007-08-30, 01:01
Birddog, Skin-so-soft has been proven ineffective as an insect repellent. Deet and permethrin are the only effective repellents I'm aware of, actually, permethrin is an insecticide. If you had something flying through a GI mosquito net, it wasn't a mosquito. It is strange you saw a lot of mosquitos in Haiti, where I was up near Cap Hatien we didn't have many. We did have enough of them to transmit Dengue, which I was unfortunate enough to contract. The worst place for mosquitoes I've ever seen was Alaska around Fairbanks, they are only really bad for a month or so after the snow melts. Since the ground underneath the surface never thaws out (permafrost) the water has no place to go, kinda like Iraq when it does rain, the clay soils don't absorb the water.

SGT Rock
2007-08-30, 12:10
Just completed the 165 mile Tahoe Rim Trail surrounding Lake Tahoe this summer. Great weather! Except for the light smoke from a few area forest fires and a few days of bugs, the first two weeks of July were some very good hiking.

With Reno, NV as close as it is, travel in and out of the area is simple.

Might be a good one to post.

Thanks, <Marv>
I'll try to remember to add that one when I get home today.

Rowdy Yates
2007-08-31, 09:25
1st SGT Rock,
Please add the Cumberland Trail & the Twin Forks Trail found in Tennessee to you State Trails listing. Thanx, Rowdy Y

Rowdy Yates
2007-08-31, 09:28
Hey Sarge,
Please post the Cumberland Trail & the Twin Forks Trail located in Tennessee to your State Trails listings.
Thanx, Rowdy Y

ki0eh
2008-03-05, 14:20
How about Pennsylvania (see list here: http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=65 ), and New York?
________
VAPIR AIR ONE VAPORIZER (http://vaporizers.net/vapir-air-one)

dixicritter
2008-03-05, 19:44
How about Pennsylvania (see list here: http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=65 ), and New York?

These two states have been added. Feel free to post about whatever trails you have any experience with or wish to talk about in those state forums. :)

el_vaquero
2009-01-16, 12:18
Could you please add California to the states...there's the PCT for the major trail and probably thousands of other trails.

Thanks,
Tim

Lion King
2009-02-27, 23:17
American Discovery Trail!

being that I was the first person ever to hike it all from Coast to Coast with a full loop in the center without taking a season off.

Although, not many will care about the ADT overall....:D

Bulldawg
2009-02-27, 23:18
American Discovery Trail!

being that I was the first person ever to hike it all from Coast to Coast with a full loop in the center without taking a season off.

Although, not many will care about the ADT overall....:D

I watched a few of the youtube clips, pretty sweet!!

erin
2009-02-28, 21:12
Please add the following to Missouri and Arkansas:
1. Buffalo River Trail in Northwest Arkansas
2. Butterfield Loop out of Devil's Den State Park, Arkansas
3. Any of the Ozark Mountain Trail/Ridge Runner Trail in Southwest Missouri
We are out of the way and hard to find but we have some good hikin' in them thar Ozarks.

Chaco Taco
2009-12-25, 15:47
I was wondering if we could get a forum for the PCT and CDT if that is at all possible. Thanks!

dixicritter
2009-12-25, 16:18
Coulda swore those were already in there, Good thing I checked first before responding...LOL

The Weasel
2009-12-27, 15:12
Hope you'll add California and Michigan, as well as the "North Country Trail"

- NCT is a National Trail (like the AT) from basically the AT in Vermont to Montana, and major portions are complete especially in Michigan.

- Michigan has a large number of good hiking trails, not just those portions on the NCT. These include Isle Royale National Park, probably the hiking/canoeing/kayaking jewel of the Northern Forest in terms of remoteness, even more than Boundary Waters.

- California has a huge number of recognized trails, including more long trails than just the PCT. The John Muir Trail is one of them, but I've found a large number of others here.

Hope you'll get to those when you have time. Ha!

The Weasel

SGT Rock
2009-12-27, 21:06
Added California, Michigan, and the North Country Trail.

ncmtns
2011-02-26, 17:05
Looking at the Foothill trail and Benton MacKaye trail for a 3 day loop preferably following a stream or river. Anyone got any ideas? We are from Asheville. Plan to do it end of March. Thanks for any tips...Bill

Nearly Normal
2011-02-26, 17:35
Foothills Trail, Chatoogga Trail, and Bartram Trail intersect at Nicholson's very close to the river.
I can't think of a loop but there plenty of access points for a shuttle....shuttles are easy arranged through FTC.
Depends on the miles you want. Most of the river section involving these trails can be done.
Fork Mountain spur of the FT to the Highlands Rd would be between 25 and 30miles, easy to follow. PM for access points, I've backpacked in there lots hiking and fishing.

Gary
2012-07-20, 22:48
If you want to add a tab for Indiana, I'll give descriptions of the trails here in the Hoosier National Forrest. My son and I are doing them for his hiking merit badge before we move on the backpacking one. They are mostly day hikes but fun. Spring Valley Lake (just north of Patoka reservoir) has a 12 mile loop around it. We thought it was nicer starting on the west side at the boat ramp rather than the trail head. You don't have to finish on a mile long up hill and can jump in the lake off the dock to cool down. Also ticks don't seem as bad as on the southern section of the forest.

SGT Rock
2012-07-22, 18:59
If you want to add a tab for Indiana, I'll give descriptions of the trails here in the Hoosier National Forrest. My son and I are doing them for his hiking merit badge before we move on the backpacking one. They are mostly day hikes but fun. Spring Valley Lake (just north of Patoka reservoir) has a 12 mile loop around it. We thought it was nicer starting on the west side at the boat ramp rather than the trail head. You don't have to finish on a mile long up hill and can jump in the lake off the dock to cool down. Also ticks don't seem as bad as on the southern section of the forest.Done!

tylert27
2013-05-16, 15:58
Utah! Angels Landing, Canyon Overlook, East Temple Saddle, Subway, Battle Creek Falls, Devil's Kitchen, Timpanogos Cave, Mt Timpanogas Summit (Timpooneke Trail), Stewart Falls, Lava Flow Overlook Trail, Pioneer Names Trail, Red Cliffs Nature Trail. There are just so many different trails ({url}) to name!

SGT Rock
2013-05-16, 22:25
Done