PDA

View Full Version : The HH is finally here!

Aegis
2004-05-10, 13:44
Yup - they arrived last week - after reading about them for months and months, I finally got two; one for me and one for my 17 y/o son. We tried them out this weekend on Oahu's northshore and honestly - don't think I'll need an underquilt here! I gotta say - they are everything, and more, that I expected after reading the reviews here; great job and thanks for the info!

We are hoping to use them for a small stint on the AT this summer - I grew up near it and crossed it every weekend - use to take route 501 all the time to visit family, and now my dad lives right below the AT near route 61.

Let me know if anyone will be on the trail there around the end of July or beginning of August - maybe we can share a snack - I'll bring some hawaiian food!

Again - thanks for the reviews!

Jim

... where the rubber meets the road!

P.S. Thanks so much for serving, Sarge! I appreciate your and your families sacrifices and am glad you returned safe and sound!

P.S.S. forgot to say - my son wasn't as thrilled about the hammock as I was - he ended up going to his bed half way through the night. i'm not sure where he wants to sleep on the trail - his bed will be a far walk away!

cldphoto
2004-05-10, 14:26
Jim -- Welcome to the fold. Hope you enjoy your HH as much as I have enjoyed mine!

As for your son, did he put up the hammock or did you help? If the ropes aren't very, very tight, the HH will inevitably sag and be less comfortable. Also, if he's not used to sleeping on his back (which I find to be the most comfortable position in any hammock), that wouldn't help either.

brian
2004-05-10, 15:44
Originally posted by cldphoto

As for your son, did he put up the hammock or did you help? If the ropes aren't very, very tight, the HH will inevitably sag and be less comfortable. Also, if he's not used to sleeping on his back (which I find to be the most comfortable position in any hammock), that wouldn't help either.

I second that: it must be very tight. Also, when you first sit in it, the knots settle. What I do (in good weather), is tie it up, sit in it for about 20 seconds, then retie one of the knots. That eliminates most of the effects of settling and makes for a VERY comfortable setup.

Brian

SGT Rock
2004-05-22, 10:26
He also may not have lain in it correctly. I found that a lot when I was showing the hammock off to people since they tend to want to stay on the center line based on previous experiences with hammocks.