PDA

View Full Version : Scanned slides

Mutinousdoug
2004-06-03, 15:35
Sgt Krohn:
I'd like to digitize my RVN pics, most of which are kodak 120 slides. Any recommendations? The little woman has Photoshop on here somewhere; this would give me an excuse to learn how to use it.

Thanks,

MutinousDoug

Sgt.Krohn
2004-06-03, 17:04
Originally posted by Mutinousdoug
Sgt Krohn: I'd like to digitize my RVN pics, most of which are kodak 120 slides. Any recommendations? The little woman has Photoshop on here somewhere; this would give me an excuse to learn how to use it. Thanks, MutinousDoug
Doug- You can take 35mm slides to a WalMart that does 1-hour processing. My local WalMart charges .29¢each to scan slides to CD. They can normally put about 4 rolls on one CD. The CD will have two folders. The folder called "Pictures" will have the larger scans- 1818x1228pixels. And the folder called "Previews" will have the smaller version of the files that will be 768x518pixels.

If you don't have a handy WalMart or SamsClub, call around to Walgreens or any of the 1-hour photo labs and ask them if they scan slides and how much each.

If you need a larger file than that you will need to take your slides to a pro photo lab to have them scanned. My local pro lab will do an 18mb file for $1.75each or a 72mb file for $18.00each.

Doug- I just glanced back up at your post- you said "Kodak 120 slides" Did you shoot these on a 120 roll film, medium format camera? If you did- the only place you will be able to get them scanned is a pro lab. My pro lab, Houston Photo Imaging charges $10.95 for an 18mb file and $20 for a 180mb file from 120 film.

If you need some help- drop me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

Mutinousdoug
2004-06-03, 18:32
They are not 120mm slides... they are the old kodak cassette film. The cardboard is 35mm slide size but the film format is more square. I took a Minox 16mm minature (spy) camera over there with me which shortly glued itself together in the heat and humidity so I bought a kodak at a PX which used the film discribed. 16mm film wasn't available except by writing home anyway. And all the film at the PX was asa53 or something so all the jungle pictures are pretty dark. I bought a super 8 movie camera just before I got out of the field and almost all of that film is too dark to see (when I can get a super8 projector to watch it).
I'll have to take some into Wallys and see what they can do. .29/ea is pretty do-able... .50/ea or more is starting to get pricey as I have at least 100 of these things.
I'll give Kinko's a call too. they scanned a couple of pictures of some buddies I put on that Virtual Wall a few years ago but I don't know how they would print or what resolution they were.

Thanks,
Doug

Sgt.Krohn
2004-06-03, 19:07
Doug- the Kodak Instamatic used 126 cartridge film. That's probably what you have. Since they are in the 2x2 slide holders- the scanner at WallyWorld should be able to see the whole image? I'm interested to find out- keep us posted....
BTW- My closest SamsClub quoted .38¢each for the 35mm slides. When is Sams more that WalMart???

Sgt.Krohn
2004-06-03, 19:25
Doug- YeahKnow- I bet Kodak has a scanning service to CD from 126 slides- and knowing the great yellow father in Rochester- it's probably resonable and high quality- check out their website- you may be able to mail all of them in and have them scanned at once- and they will probably run them through a corrective software package that will take out the Ektachrome fade and make them look like original.

Mutinousdoug
2004-06-03, 19:31
Doug- the Kodak Instamatic used 126 cartridge film. That's probably what you have.

Of course! That's right: Instamatic
And I'll check Rochester too, although I hate to think about putting these keepsakes in the mail.

Sgt.Krohn
2004-06-03, 20:17
did a search on Google for slide scanning services
this is interesting...

http://www.slidescanning.com/

Mutinousdoug
2004-06-08, 19:00
Sgt Krohn. Just got these back from Walmart. Resolution is only ok. The slides were not in the best shape, but some resolution is lost. Also, I assume because of the format, some of the top and bottom of the frame is lost.
All in all worth the .29 they charge for the service, and I seem to have all the originals back.

C:\Documents and Settings\Doug\My Documents\My Pictures\officelowrez.JPG

I can't tell if this is going to work until I post it...

Mutinousdoug
2004-06-08, 19:10
nt

Mutinousdoug
2004-06-08, 19:27
Well, I'm sorry it took three posts, but I think I'm getting the hang of this.
Here I am in my office circa May? 1970. This is low impact; "leave no trace" camping and the proto-Hennessy hammock.

Doug

Sgt.Krohn
2004-06-08, 23:44
Doug- looks like a good deal for .29¢ You'll have to campare it to the slide to figure out how much was cropped off in the scan?
I ran you image through Photoshop. I didn't do much. I went up on the Menu bar to "Image" > "Adjust" > "Levels" and just hit the "Auto" button and it took out the milky blue cast to the pic.

http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL433/1045515/1957272/56071138.jpg

I remember that "ultimate camping trip" :rolleyes:
100#+ rucks and dinks shootin' at us... :mad:

Mutinousdoug
2004-06-09, 13:11
Sgt Krohn;
I went to Photoshop and did: "adjust" "brightness" to darken it 'cause the pic was kind of washed out. I like your "adjust" "auto" better.
My slide originally showed the head of the guy behind me,(cropped off the top) and my M16 at my feet (where here you can just see the buttstock and pistol grip under the box). And each slide now has a black column on each side that I cropped off in Photoshop. So the process tried to make a 35mm format out of my 126.
I have a lot of work to do to make the rest of them presentable.

Thanks for the help,

Doug

cldphoto
2004-06-30, 08:09
Doug -- Might also want to use the "unsharp mask" filter in photoshop to sharpen up the scans a bit. I find that the "sharpening" filter makes the images too sharp, but unsharp masking with aradius of 1 pixel at 33% to 50% drops a lot of the fuzz without making edges overdefined.

Mutinousdoug
2004-06-30, 17:08
cldphoto;
Tried to use the "unsharp mask filter" command, but keep getting an error that photoshop reports to microsoft. (??)
Thanks, I'll keep foolng around with it, but like I said, the originals are not in the best shape and never were high resolution.