PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see a trail head?

Tripps
2004-07-13, 03:59
I am finding that my time between hikes grows uncomfortably long while I become increasingly busy in the civilized world. Actualy the people on the trail are much more civilized, but that's a later topic. How do some people log hundreds and even thousands of miles a year and still afford to live? How? Two weeks a year just isn't doing it for me.

cldphoto
2004-07-13, 06:37
Welcome to the wonderful world of responsibility. It only gets better. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time for hiking when you're retired...of course, by then you'll be too old to do much hiking...

Kozmic Zian
2004-07-15, 00:42
Yea......Know What Cha Mean!......Seems like the older I get, the less(hiking) I do. I was just thinking today how much I miss it. Hope to get up in '05 and do some big miles. Most guys, if they ever get to 'Thru', do it once and talk about it forever, like me. Some do it more, or Thru Hike more than once, but that's a big minority. Just be patient and do the Long Walk, when you can, if ever.....but keep doing the shorties, don't ever give them up. It keeps you in touch with the Mother Earth, clears your head, and gives you 'proper perspective'. If just for a couple of weeks or so. I should practice what I preach, I haven't been up in quite a while. Only live 60 mins from the Trail....tsch, tsch. For Shame on me. But you guys, get up there and enjoy the beauty, breath the mountain air, drink the water and love the woods, it does the soul good. KZ@ :angel:

smokymtnsteve
2004-07-17, 23:54
I am finding that my time between hikes grows uncomfortably long while I become increasingly busy in the civilized world. Actualy the people on the trail are much more civilized, but that's a later topic. How do some people log hundreds and even thousands of miles a year and still afford to live? How? Two weeks a year just isn't doing it for me.

learn to drive a big truck and work 5-6 months in the winter

Redleg
2004-07-18, 21:25
The three main reasons to become a teacher: June, July, and August.
jaf.

maryphyl
2004-07-26, 15:09
If you put your heart and soul into finding time to hike it is there. My brother in law uses his vacation time in small pieces--he adds a day or two to the days he gets off each week and manages lots of trips each year. Unpaid days are good too--you don't really need that new furniture or whatever and time outside beats stuff any day. You may find that you will have to go alone much of the time and this is good because there is no waiting to line up time off--just go!! Taking time off may get you fired and this is good for hiking too. I got a case of burn out a couple of years ago and now my husband is doing all of the supporting around here. I have managed more than 60 days out already this year--much of it was rafting.