PDA

View Full Version : Reuters: Web Addiction Gets Conscripts Out of Army

blackdog
2004-08-04, 06:44
I don't know whether laughing or crying is the right response to this... Is hikinghq.net as addictive as that too?

- - -

HELSINKI (Reuters) - A number of Finnish conscripts have been excused their full term of military service because they are addicted to the Internet, the Finnish Defense Forces said Tuesday.

Doctors have found the young men miss their computers too much to cope with their compulsory six months in the forces.

"For people who play (Internet) games all night and don't have any friends, don't have any hobbies, to come into the army is a very big shock," said Commander-Captain Jyrki Kivela at the military conscription unit.

"Some of (the conscripts) go to the doctor and say they can't stay. Sometimes, the doctors have said they have an Internet addiction," Kivela said.

There are no official figures for the Internet addict dropout rate.

"They get sent home for three years and after that they have to come back and we ask if they are OK ... they will have had time to grow up," Kivela said.

Finland called up 26,500 men in 2003, nine percent of whom were relieved of duty for medical reasons.

However, the Internet drop-outs have not dented national pride in "sisu," a Finnish quality of being tough and resilient.

"We are very proud of our Finnish men. Eight-two percent of all Finnish men manage their whole military service," Kivela said.

SGT Rock
2004-08-04, 09:37
We have the Nintendo Generation problem here in the US Army too. We just don't let them out because they miss their PCs. Of course since there isn't a draft, most of the PC addicts probably don't join, they just play on-line military games and pretend.

Mutinousdoug
2004-08-04, 11:21
Sounds like we need to expand the War on Drugs to include all possible forms of addiction. Sheesh!

Redleg
2004-08-05, 22:07
I had just taken over my first COLT Team, my first new private out of the cycle brought back, and expected me to use, a stress card .
If I had been silly enough to complaign to MY SGT. that I had stress, he would have had me doing push-ups untill I was no longer stressed. The more things change the older I get.
jaf.

Sgt.Krohn
2004-08-05, 23:04
My how times have changed!!
I was drafted in 1970 towards the end of the Vietnam War.
The day I took my physical I saw them pass two guys who had Coke bottle glasses- 400+ vision in both eyes- technically legally blind.
If you could stumble through the door for the physical you were passed and if your birthday had been called in the lottery you were gone....
When I got to Ft.Polk for Basic there were 6 guys in the company that were too fat to make the runs to the rifle ranges or really complete the PT. They assigned a shake&bake sergeant to those 6 guys who became their personal trainer. None of the 6 lost enough weight to pass Basic so they were held back and cycled back into another Basic training cycle until they eventually lost enough weight to pass Basic.
Nobody could quit. There weren't any "StressCards". You stayed there until you lost the weight and could pass all the aspects of Basic, especially the physical section.
Most everyone was capable of 100 pushups by the end of the second week. Otherwise you ended up with a DI's boot in your ass.
By the time we finished Basic we were ready!! for Infantry school...

We had one guy die in Basic during one of the runs to the rifle ranges. He had a heart aneurysm they missed and dropped dead in full stride. We put him in the back of the Aid pickup and dropped him off at the morgue.

We had another guy go nuts the night of night fire qualification. When they gave him his live rounds and they turned out the lights, he loaded up and spun around and tried to shoot all the drill & range sergeants. He dropped his weapon and ran out across the range in the dark.
They lined up all three companies in a single line and had us sweep the range and into the woods until we caught him at the fence. They hauled him off kicking and screaming.

SGT Rock
2004-08-05, 23:43
Stress cards. No one has had the nerve to pull one out on me. Put them in the Hurt Box for something like that.

Mutinousdoug
2004-08-06, 00:27
Excuse me? What in the world is a stress card?
And forgive my ignorance.
Hey! Sgt Rock. do you have to carry a Geneva card? Seems I gave up my draft card for one. Are they good for anything?
Sgt Krohn: They could make you do pushups, but they couldn't make you volunteer! Hah!
US 52921152 (before they started using your SSN)
Also funy: US: Drafted; RA: Regular Army; NG: National Guard; ER: Enlisted Reserve.
What's that spell? US RANGER

Mental limitations? RVN (Cambobia, actually) As I was yelling at a guy to hurry up and cross a blueline because I could see people were shooting at him, he replied that he was going as fast as he could with all the cr@p we had him loaded down with, and he wasn't going to go any faster. Forrest Gump lives.

SGT Rock
2004-08-06, 06:49
Excuse me? What in the world is a stress card?
And forgive my ignorance.
Hey! Sgt Rock. do you have to carry a Geneva card? Seems I gave up my draft card for one. Are they good for anything?
Sgt Krohn: They could make you do pushups, but they couldn't make you volunteer! Hah!
US 52921152 (before they started using your SSN)
Also funy: US: Drafted; RA: Regular Army; NG: National Guard; ER: Enlisted Reserve.
What's that spell? US RANGER

Mental limitations? RVN (Cambobia, actually) As I was yelling at a guy to hurry up and cross a blueline because I could see people were shooting at him, he replied that he was going as fast as he could with all the cr@p we had him loaded down with, and he wasn't going to go any faster. Forrest Gump lives.

A Stress Card is something some psychologist came up with in the 90s so that new Privates that were not used to harsh language or stressful situations (something worse than loosing their last life on pacman anyway) could handle stressful situations without possibly killing themselves or something - I don't know because it was supposed to be for basic training only and I have never been a Drill Sergeant. I personally have not seen one since about 1995.

Basically it is a plastic card that has a panel on it that reacts to a person's body heat or something. The idea is if a situation is making the private feel stressful, he can pull out the card and check his stress level. If the panel turns a certain color from touch, then it shows stress, and at that point the private can show it to the Drill Sergeant and prove that he is over-stressed and the Drill Sergeant has to back off or put him in "time out". I am not totally familiar with the system, but it has been a joke throughout the Army for years, and something I would hope that goes away under Gen Schoomaker since he wants to have the "Warrior Ethos" and not the "Kindler, gentler Army"

I have heard of a couple of situations where soldiers way beyond basic training have tried to use them. I suppose if they were on patrol in Baghdad and some Mahdi Army soldier shot an RPG at them, they could use it to get the guy to stop long enough for the soldier to feel "comfortable" again before continuing the fight, or maybe if they get captured by some militants they can pull the card out before they get their head cut off by a short, dull knife. Things like stress cards just go against my grain because they seem so silly and stupid in a profession of arms.

I don't have a Geneva Card. On the back of the ID card it has my Geneva code. Seems like Medics used to have to carry a Geneva Card back in the 80s in Germany.

Mutinousdoug
2004-08-06, 11:31
So, as I understand it: It's pretty much like a mood ring.
Hilarious.