PDA

View Full Version : Making the switch

Tripps
2004-08-05, 02:27
All right, I'm convinced! I purchased the HH Ultralite backpacker today. I will soon make the switch from my trusty, two pole companion, to a hanging bivy. I have read most threads in the hammock section and while the majority are good, some become unraveled.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips for a hammock neophyte? My only previous experience with hammocks includes a dirty double netted job at my aunts house that was already set up and littered with lawn waiste, and a self ejecting string model that frankly looked like trouble.

Will my therm-a-rest work inside? Are any alterations needed? Are there trees to avoid (the very young and the very dead are obvious)? What about lightning? Ect. and so forth and so on. Any advice is appreciated.

SGT Rock
2004-08-05, 08:46
I think most of your questions can be answered here: http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html

Tripps
2004-08-05, 11:21
Thanks SGT Rock!

peter_pan
2004-08-08, 22:20
figure out how to keep warm on the bottom. suggest a look at www.jacksrbetter.com. wecome to the hang out club.

SGT Rock
2004-08-08, 23:27
The Jacks 'R Better quilt is a good system. Here is my evaluation so far: http://hikinghq.net/hammock/jacks_quilt.html

Tripps
2004-08-09, 13:52
Would you still recommend a down sleep system in extremely humid or otherwise wet conditions? Swimming through the air is not just a saying in some parts, but a mode of transportation.

peter_pan
2004-08-09, 19:38
Some nights on the AT the fog rolls thru and permeates all. DWR does petty good. These conditions speak well for a bivi sack on the ground or our soon to be realeased breathable waterproof hammock shell. This is intended to be a hot summer stand alone or a super cold add-on for another 10 degrees or a great spash or fog /humidity shield. Keep watching. :)

Pappyhighlife
2004-08-19, 14:09
Yea, reference light. I tried using my trusty candle lantern, but I had to hang it so low, cause I was afraid it would melt the HH neting.

So I found a small lantern at Campmor, it's called the Bonfire about 40.00
real small battery operated, hangs from the loft line. Two modes White light and Red. Spent four nights on the Chattooga River GA/SC. Never had to change batteries and it puts out very bright light, about four inches tall.
Switch has a rubber guard, which can be difficult getting use to.

The only draw back, I had no campfire so about midnight when I was reading
it started to draw a rather large bat. But that's another thread.