PDA

View Full Version : question for sgt. about alice packs

young marine
2004-08-16, 13:58
hello sgt i have just inherited an alice pack and was wondering if it was any good for weekend backpacking. any suggestions would be greatly appericated

SGT Rock
2004-08-16, 14:03
Is it complete with kidney pad and straps, and what size is it?

young marine
2004-08-19, 09:01
yes sir the pack is complete with all the goodies and it is the largest siz produced

SGT Rock
2004-08-19, 10:07
Well the large ALICE is a monster. The possibility of overloading it is very high and tends to be a problem in military units. Add to that all the strap points where you can add another extra ton if you want too...

First of all, the frame was probably designed for someone about 5' 2" tall. It always cruches my spine and I am only 5'8". Taller folks can be wrecked by the ALICE. If I were going to do some serious backpacking I would look for a way to lengthen the frame about 6" and make the strap points a little more adjustable for different torso sizes. There are some companies out there making aftermarket frames for these.

Next, the rucksack can stick out a great deal if fully loaded and you walk hunched just to maintain a good center of ballance. I would probably advise you to load the outside center pocket last to avoid extending out the balance point. Earl Schafer used a similar designed pack for his through hike and even cut this pocket off just because of that.

The top flap pocket is almost useless. If I were re-designing the ruck, I would make the opening face the oposite direction and increase the size of the pocket so it could serve as a good water resistant place to put your paperwork while on patrol. As it is, I sort of just store my maps and such between my back and the frame.

If I were going to customize the pack for long distance hiking, I would remove the center outside pocket, the top flap, the radio pouch inside, and the three small ammo pouches, but that is just my mods, don't do it because I said so. Then I would lengthen the fram and devise some load lifter straps after moving the attach points for the shoulder and wasit straps down. I might replace the two side pockets with mesh as well. I would cut off all the outside tie down points as well.

young marine
2004-08-19, 14:22
thank you for your advice and i will consider cutting off some of the larger pockets i was wondering how i could modify the frame for backpacking. Thank you very much and i will keep in touch with how thats going.

lance corprol St. John

Ken
2004-08-19, 15:17
Here's a link with some ALICE pack info:

http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/_alice/alicemanual.htm

One modification I made was to cut the two main compartment straps and add 1" fastex buckles, what an improvement in accessibility to the main compartment. I can supply picture or more info if you're interested.

Ken

SGT Rock
2004-08-19, 15:17
There may be an after market frame you could use, or you might do a little engineering to simply cut the frame and add some 10" sections to extend the frame 6" with 4" overlap on them. This would requirer finding aluminum or graphite tubes with a slightly larger outside diameter and an inside diameter the same as the outside diameter of the current tubes.

young marine
2004-08-19, 18:27
hey ken i would be very intrested in any help making my pack a bit more backpacking friendly. I am so gratefull for all the help you guys have given me

lance corprol St. John