PDA

View Full Version : Homemade hiking polls

fatmatt
2004-08-30, 00:22
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to make or where to find info to make my own hiking polls. Thanks!

brian
2004-08-30, 10:48
http://www.wanderlustgear.com/materials_poles.htm

That link is the "standard" for some cheap poles, but there have been reports on WHiteblaze about them slipping under heavy weight. Even so, still worth a try!

Brian

SGT Rock
2004-08-30, 12:34
I saw a thread somewhere about a guy making his own carbon fibers. Probably on The Lightweight Backpacker.

Redleg
2004-08-30, 23:10
I have hiked for many years (mostly 3 season+) and never used a couple of poles, seems like too much work. A staff comes in handy on a franjable slope, but I want at least one hand to grab with. Also I have found that a staffs primary use is to slow my pace down closer to my son's. So why use poles?
I do not understand.
jaf

Tripps
2004-08-31, 01:38
Redleg,
For me, poles have multiple uses. A set of poles increases stability on rocky slopes and fording streams. Four legs are better than two. They give me an extra boost while laboring up seemingly endless hills. Often at the end of a long day, the poles are the only thing holding me up. Colin Fletcher writes that a set of poles can relieve up to 30 percent off of a persons knees by redistributing the weight onto one's arms.
I frequently use to secure my poles to a vestibule rain fly as an awning on my tent before SGT. Rock converted me to the ways of the Hammock. I once splinted a guys leg with a set for a first-aid demonstration. The uses are limited only by one's imagination. A set of poles have never lessened my pace though.

ridgerunner
2004-08-31, 10:31
I use a five and a half foot piece of Osage Orange wood. Osage Orange is very light, strong and durable, and it looks cool. Native Americans used to use this wood to make bows. I think it's just as strong and light as a carbon graphite pole, a lot prettier and best of all, FREE.
The trick is finding a piece straight enough. Then you have to strip the bark and all of the white wood to get down to the orange heart wood. The heart wood is where the strength is. Try not to cut any fibers in the heart wood. And don't cut through the knots, or you loose some strength. Makes a great little project. Other hikers will be asking you where you got such a neat staff.
Hickory is strong too, but not near as light.

http://www.gpnc.org/osage.htm

SGT Rock
2004-08-31, 10:47
Cool idea Ridgerunner. Thanks for the link.